Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Now that the shock pliers have arrived, I finally took out the DF03 hopup shocks and assembled them to install in the Deep Impact (what I call my heavily hopped-up Dark Impact):

IMG-20200807-203205.jpg

I also took out the below Redback Racing (?) oil-filled shocks designed to be compatible with the CW01 chassis (Lunch Box etc.) to install them and things did NOT go well.

I undid the top cap of the first shock to inspect the oil, and as expected, it was a half-filled mess of bubbles in the cylinder, so I emptied that out and filled the shock with fresh Axon 35 weight shock oil. Closed it back up and test-fitted it on my lunch box. After just a few shock compressions by hand to test the travel, the shock blew out its innards through the bottom section, which was holding 2 shaft guides and 2 o-rings with just a flimsy little spring clip, and I got shock oil all over my dining room table! Apparently these "oil-filled shocks" can't actually handle the pressure of being filled with shock oil. Well, that was a waste of 55(!!) USD plus shipping from eBay.... Picture shown so everyone can avoid them, consider yourselves warned: Don't buy these!

IMG-20200807-192716.jpg

If these shocks have been used successfully and without failure by someone else, I'd love for them to chime in and let me know what I may have done wrong to make them spill their guts like they did...

• Sad 1

Finally got the front wing to print 

BD6-BCA09-660-A-4-AFA-B448-F2-F96219-AD8

Might need to source some tyres now, and find somewhere very flat to try it out!

• Like 4

I ended up taking the DT-03 Neo Frog to the rugby pitch to see how the sand tyres would work on grass like I said I might earlier.

The tyres worked great, gripped well in the grass and gave good traction. No problems there.

But I had a strange issue return that I thought I had eradicated.

The ESC I use is a Hobbyking X-car 120a. The receiver is a simple 3ch Flysky.

The problem I'm having is that the range is poor and the further away the car gets, the more throttle lag there is both going on the throttle and coming back off it.

I suffered with this problem last year and even saw a thread on rcuniverse where someone had the same issue with the same components so I followed all the steps I saw on there.

The ESC worked fine in another car before. The receiver also worked fine in another car but I swapped it out just in case and it made no difference. The guy on RCU found out that his Flysky GT3C transmitter with the 1s lipo battery was the culprit and that by switching to an older 8xAA powered  flysky the problem went away. Where or not the higher input voltage made a difference or not I don't know.

But anyway, I did likewise and switched to a Flysky that took 8 AA cells and BOOM suddenly the response to throttle inputs is instant, range is amazing, no problems at all. I drove the car for months after that without a single hickup, absolutely perfect.

Then we come to today and I take it down the field with the same handset that has been working fine since last year and within seconds I can tell the problem has returned! It get about 15 feet away and suddenly there's a second+ delay between hitting the throttle and the car moving and the same delay when you release it. Sometimes a small pull of the trigger generates a full throttle response too.

I just cant get my head around it. Besides anything else, the problem seemed to go away for several months! 

To top it off, I managed to break the front shock tower after a small throttle input resulted in a violent backflip.

A real head scratcher.

34 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

I ended up taking the DT-03 Neo Frog to the rugby pitch to see how the sand tyres would work on grass like I said I might earlier.

The tyres worked great, gripped well in the grass and gave good traction. No problems there.

But I had a strange issue return that I thought I had eradicated.

The ESC I use is a Hobbyking X-car 120a. The receiver is a simple 3ch Flysky.

The problem I'm having is that the range is poor and the further away the car gets, the more throttle lag there is both going on the throttle and coming back off it.

I suffered with this problem last year and even saw a thread on rcuniverse where someone had the same issue with the same components so I followed all the steps I saw on there.

The ESC worked fine in another car before. The receiver also worked fine in another car but I swapped it out just in case and it made no difference. The guy on RCU found out that his Flysky GT3C transmitter with the 1s lipo battery was the culprit and that by switching to an older 8xAA powered  flysky the problem went away. Where or not the higher input voltage made a difference or not I don't know.

But anyway, I did likewise and switched to a Flysky that took 8 AA cells and BOOM suddenly the response to throttle inputs is instant, range is amazing, no problems at all. I drove the car for months after that without a single hickup, absolutely perfect.

Then we come to today and I take it down the field with the same handset that has been working fine since last year and within seconds I can tell the problem has returned! It get about 15 feet away and suddenly there's a second+ delay between hitting the throttle and the car moving and the same delay when you release it. Sometimes a small pull of the trigger generates a full throttle response too.

I just cant get my head around it. Besides anything else, the problem seemed to go away for several months! 

To top it off, I managed to break the front shock tower after a small throttle input resulted in a violent backflip.

A real head scratcher.

long shot but is the rx ariel close to the motor wires or battery leads?

20 minutes ago, xzenonuk said:

long shot but is the rx ariel close to the motor wires or battery leads?

Quite close but I tried moving the receiver all the way down the front on top of the servo last time I was having the problem for that exact reason and it didn't make any difference.

I just don't get it, it has been working fine literally in the exact configuration it's currently in for over 6 months (since I swapped from a Flysky GT2B to the older GT2) and I take it out today and it's suddenly back to how it was. 

I guess I'll just have to use a different ESC or radio brand because they obviously don't like each other but geeze. It was 100% cured for half a year. I just don't get it.

2 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

Quite close but I tried moving the receiver all the way down the front on top of the servo last time I was having the problem for that exact reason and it didn't make any difference.

I just don't get it, it has been working fine literally in the exact configuration it's currently in for over 6 months (since I swapped from a Flysky GT2B to the older GT2) and I take it out today and it's suddenly back to how it was. 

I guess I'll just have to use a different ESC or radio brand because they obviously don't like each other but geeze. It was 100% cured for half a year. I just don't get it.

i had a kyosho dbx before that would do daft stuff like that, just that long ago i cannot remember exactly what it was, tried a different servo?

I did another thing today (it's a weekend day, so lots of time for my favorite hobby). I took out my monster Plasma Edge II and swapped out the front and rear links plus steering assembly for the Tamiya TT02B Turnbuckle Set. Very high quality stuff, I highly recommend it. I also swapped out the front plastic driveshafts with GPM CVDs like the rears. 

Here's a picture mid-process:

IMG-20200808-023401.jpg

And here she is posing next to the pieces that were replaced:

IMG-20200808-024305.jpg

This monster buggy is now ready to rumble! I will consider my TT02B now finished. Rough and tough basher for desert running.

Oh! I forgot to add that I also installed the DF03 Hopup shocks to the Deep Impact:

IMG-20200808-000944.jpg

Edited by DeadMeat666
Forgot about the DF03!
  • Like 4

Morning shoot with the fleet (FF-01 missing in the picture. Not done re-building and awaiting for parts)

52yxtFMh.jpg

n8lbQj2h.jpg

• Like 6

Cut out the TF body (badly) will go over the edges with a dremel before painting.

IMG_20200808_150349.thumb.jpg.6ca82de00efeed5283f9c68634b12869.jpg

IMG_20200808_145915.thumb.jpg.999d51e182bc583858511d7d6d51ba1d.jpg

Ended up using a standard MR wing mount as the top force one was a bit of a pain to get hold of. I need to order a turnbuckle set next. 

• Like 3

The Super Boomerhotshoterang got got bumped up in the hierarchy (due to the increased money I have in it now) with its recent Factory Works chassis addition so I needed another grab-and-go 4wd buggy. I try to keep one 2wd buggy, one 4wd buggy and one monster truck at the ready if I might have the opportunity to grab a quick run when out and about. That used to be the Super Boomerhotshoterang. I had an extra Hotshot hanging around so I added some CVA II shocks and Supershot towers. I love my original Hotshot runner but needed something a bit more capable for everyday use. I don't know whether to add a Supershot body or not. On one hand the Hotshot body looks perfectly acceptable as a Hotshot that would have simply been upgraded with the H.P. Suspension Set from BITD. On the other hand, too much red and yellow personally makes me think of McDonald's fast food restaurants and that burger shilling clown Ronald McDonald. You want fries with that or how about a hot apple pie? I'm weird.

20200808_092250

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Wez-li said:

Cut out the TF body (badly) will go over the edges with a dremel before painting.

IMG_20200808_150349.thumb.jpg.6ca82de00efeed5283f9c68634b12869.jpg

IMG_20200808_145915.thumb.jpg.999d51e182bc583858511d7d6d51ba1d.jpg

Ended up using a standard MR wing mount as the top force one was a bit of a pain to get hold of. I need to order a turnbuckle set next. 

Those green wheels look ace!

• Like 1

Took el kid out to our local abandoned park and ride (it floods in winter!) with the newly shelled M-05-RA Swift and my M04 BMW 2002.3F8258F0-F79C-4C10-834B-17EBED3576AF.jpg
It was my first ever tarmac session outside my own property so there were a few lessons to learn -

1. Sweep the area for debris. Or your brand new car will do cartwheels (no damage, phew).

2. Stay away from the kerbs. I told the boy right at the start but it was me who clouted one with the BMW and split the shell

3. Secure the electrics. The loop of wire for the on/off switch of the TBLE-02S nearly burned through rubbing against the ground.

The boy took the hopped up M05 with its torque tuned motor and did really well. Only a couple of small knocks and we didn’t crash into one another!

I had the nearly vanilla M04. A while back I put some oil shocks and new springs on the M04. What a difference! But by then end of the session the M04 was plagued with issues - the stealth mounts refused to grip and the body kept popping off. The battery connection was a bit iffy too leading to cut outs. 

The 2002 body will get repaired and now I don’t feel so bad about putting some holes in it and going back to body posts - I have been gearing up to it for ages!

The list of soldering jobs is growing - hoping for a soldering iron for my birthday!

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

The list of soldering jobs is growing - hoping for a soldering iron for my birthday!

Make sure it’s a 60watt minimum đŸ˜‰

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Those green wheels look ace!

Thanks, I've had them for ages, this is the perfect place for them :)

I got a lot of parts with this TT02 bundle, including this nip uj set. 

I figure that I might as well install it, seeing as they're fitted to the front too :)

IMG_20200809_083049.thumb.jpg.1322885a30f71dcebbf9b7242a2fef64.jpg

I shudder to think how much has been spent on this! 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Wez-li said:

I shudder to think how much has been spent on this! 

So do I! It's a shame that it's such an eyesore with all the clashing colors of bling as well.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

So do I! It's a shame that it's such an eyesore with all the clashing colors of bling as well.

I know :lol: I wish it was just all blue or all red. 

Got a good mind to strip it and spray them all black! 

So I did a little bit more work on my outside mini crawler track (I have also built a seesaw AKA "teeter totter" for inside use). This has been getting a lot of use as in Victoria we are all in stage 4 "lockdown."

1155443529_2020-08-0912_42_56.thumb.jpg.3a7c40d0cd438e4acb3f8f1189b08121.jpg

But, way more importantly, today I got to give my new Konghead its maiden run, and it is brilliant (it even did a wheelie, which was fun, but these trucks are just utterly fantastic).

2020-08-06 18.21.49-2.jpg

2020-08-09 16.39.54-2.jpg

2020-08-09 16.40.50-2.jpg

2020-08-09 16.50.28-2.jpg

2020-08-09 16.51.54.jpg

2020-08-09 17.08.51-2.jpg

2020-08-09 17.09.01-2.jpg

IMG_8714.jpg

IMG_8716.jpg

• Like 10

I re subscribed to tamiya club! It's been a few years since I was last here (17 years is a few isn't it?) Seems like there are a few more members now since I was number 216. :) Last thing I did was "spring drive 2003" at snetterton with you guys. Hopefully there are still some of the original members on here :)

I will soon be adding my collection of ta03 cars and projects. I can also help out with my knowledge of 90's rc cars motors and electronics. Anything ta03, I'm your man!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, lsear2905 said:

So I did a little bit more work on my outside mini crawler track (I have also built a seesaw AKA "teeter totter" for inside use). This has been getting a lot of use as in Victoria we are all in stage 4 "lockdown."

But, way more importantly, today I got to give my new Konghead its maiden run, and it is brilliant (it even did a wheelie, which was fun, but these trucks are just utterly fantastic).

2020-08-06 18.21.49-2.jpg

2020-08-09 16.39.54-2.jpg

2020-08-09 16.40.50-2.jpg

2020-08-09 16.50.28-2.jpg

2020-08-09 16.51.54.jpg

2020-08-09 17.08.51-2.jpg

2020-08-09 17.09.01-2.jpg

IMG_8714.jpg

IMG_8716.jpg

Great job on your Konghead! Some nice touches with the chrome bumper & see thru gearbox, especially as the whole trucks a gearboxx đŸ¤“

22 minutes ago, lsear2905 said:

Awesome idea on the mini crawler track, what scale are you using? 
I’d love to try something like this, have to see how sturdy the fence is