Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ordered a hobby king gt2e transmitter to try. I have $100, $200, and $300 transmitters but ordered this $20 transmitter to try because it looks cool šŸ˜…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lsear2905 said:

I am fairly confident IFS standsĀ for Independent Front Suspension, and this conversion kit for the CC01 retains that. It is a unique feature in the crawler/trail truck world (well, fairly unique, asĀ the Element Enduro can be converted to IFS, courtesy of a kit).Ā 

In the RC world, it's just Independent Suspension. Because when you say IFS, it's Inboard Front Suspension.

The front independent suspension of the CC-01 like I said is just similar to many other Tamiya kits used for rally/touring. In the CC-01, Tamiya should have considered using longer suspension arms because the short ones have very limited travel and is not suitable for crawling. What the designer of that conversion should have done is redesigned the suspension arms instead of using the same CC-01 short arms. The Longheroni chassis is merely for rigidity, looks and reconfiguration of the gearbox and servo. But it didn't improve the suspension system at all which is a big factor.

13 hours ago, Ray_ve said:

Stripped the recently aquired Marui Galaxy RS down, to see what's what.

Gears are about 2/3rd way gone.
The grease is so old and sticky, it now resembles chewing gum....
Some little plastic bits of one shocktower are broken off but complete.
It uses 5x11x4mm bearings in the gearbox, but our chinese friends can supply those.
Tires need a cleanup and re-fit, but are in reasonable shape for their age.

So overall... little repair, replace, bearings and electronics and we have a shelf-queen. ^_^

this was the first RC car I had as a teenager, you must post pics of your restoration!Ā :DĀ please

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

In the RC world, it's just Independent Suspension. Because when you say IFS, it's Inboard Front Suspension.

Appreciate your depth of knowledge, but IFS as an abbreviation for independent front suspension has been around for ladder-framed trucks since at least the 50s, it's merely a carry-over from the truck world.Ā 

If you wanted to give it the description used on the box, Tamiya refers to it as Double-Wishbone front suspension, multi-link rear solid axle. IFS is easier to spellĀ :lol:

Neither is wrong, but I think the first Tamiya IFS suspension in reference to a cantilever set up with push rods was what, 2007 with the TA05 IFS? I think the trucker community with their early 1950s conversions for pickups might have Tamiya trumped on the abbreviation front!

• Like 5

Finally had a decent play with the Konghead this morning which was great, no breakdowns or breakages šŸ‘

Currently away with just my wife leaving our 5 teenagers scattered across friends and family to make sure that we get a break and that house doesnā€™t getĀ burnt down in our absence.

We have rented a gorgeous cottage with a really nice garden that opens up onto the New Forest, so there is peace, tranquility and space.Ā 

My wifeā€™s does her Yoga and I prat about with my toys šŸ’„, what a great way to start the day šŸ˜Š

image.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Neither is wrong, but I think the first Tamiya IFS suspension in reference to a cantilever set up with push rods was what, 2007 with the TA05 IFS? I think the trucker community with their early 1950s conversions for pickups might have Tamiya trumped on the abbreviation front!

Iā€™m glad you guys cleared this up, Ā I thought The IFS was the ā€˜Institute for Fiscal Studiesā€™. Suddenly the context makes much more sense in the first post :)

Ā 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Lee76 said:

Iā€™m glad you guys cleared this up, Ā I thought The IFS was the ā€˜Institute for Fiscal Studiesā€™. Suddenly the context makes much more sense in the first post :)

Ā 

That's why the Institute of Financial Services got renamed to the London Institute of Banking and Finance. People kept asking the wrong institute about CeMAP and DipFAĀ :D

Ā 

• Haha 1

Got the rest of the body painted. Stuck with the green (for this body at least!!!).Ā IMG_20200830_140656.thumb.jpg.96be30e8921ffc332104ca83ffaedcdd.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Pretty much finished this thing, my least favourite build so far, a weird lunkingĀ combination of agricultural and intricate that wasnā€™tĀ much fun at all.Ā 

Partly my fault for selling the body set and deciding I would use a sand scorcher body instead for a ā€œHerbieā€ style cream finish, then changing my mind and needing to get that back to some semblance of Monster Beetle, which was a bit of a pain.

Lesson learned; always keep the original bits if youā€™re going to go off book, just in case you change your mind!

But what is going on with that ā€˜wing and a prayerā€™ gearbox? One of many ā€œhuh, really??ā€ momentsĀ 

And I still havenā€™t found any wheelsĀ I like that fit itĀ 

68310677-9883-4472-8462-70E4C6E3F704.jpeg

02B0B37E-0587-4924-8358-CAEE704C1067.jpeg

E3B66BCB-F84D-4D26-BCFB-D8E05A4D41E5.jpeg

• Like 8

I finished up the two Wild Willy 2's I've been working on over the last few months.

Ā 

20200830_164848.jpg

20200830_164915.jpg

• Like 14

O3IZDFq.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

On2fdQP.jpg
Ā 

Got it registered with DVLA. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, moffman said:

Just looks so beautiful (previous photos aswell) considering technically its your winter!

Man, I wish!! It's summer here in Canada like it is in the UK, in the winter almost all of that will be frozen... now we are just a few hours north of those beaches and it's already 12Ā° cooler, the weather is harsh aroundĀ here (but it usually doesn't rain for a whole day straight, at least that).

Ā 

So we hit that hobby shop on the way... got myself a Flysky FS-GT2B with receiver for 65 CAD, so not too bad, if it wasn't that of course at that point we just had to get a couple static kits for my wife (one of which being a nice Cuda, yay) along with a decal sheet and a baggy of Kyosho tie-rods that was on sale for just 2 bucks in the clearance section..:rolleyes:Ā as if we weren't already clogged enough in rhe car lol

20200830-122800.jpg

The pistol transmitter feels compact, lightweight and... totally weird to me. A lifetime of stick transmitters does not help with this, it will sure take some getting used to so we'll see how that goes... at least the travelling Hornet is back to life now.

The Hobby Shop was as usual: nice people, lots of Traxxas stuff, zero Tamiya (boring...) besides just a few static kits, and an interesting bunch of Kyosho spare baggies on sale.

No lack of eye candy anyway...20200829-134011.jpg

Ā 

...and the usual random weirsd item (a human ear šŸ¤”)20200829-133812.jpg

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

Man, I wish!! It's summer here in Canada like it is in the UK, in the winter almost all of that will be frozen... now we are just a few hours north of those beaches and it's already 12Ā° cooler, the weather is harsh aroundĀ here (but it usually doesn't rain for a whole day straight, at least that).

Ā 

So we hit that hobby shop on the way... got myself a Flysky FS-GT2B with receiver for 65 CAD, so not too bad, if it wasn't that of course at that point we just had to get a couple static kits for my wife (one of which being a nice Cuda, yay) along with a decal sheet and a baggy of Kyosho tie-rods that was on sale for just 2 bucks in the clearance section..:rolleyes:Ā as if we weren't already clogged enough in rhe car lol

20200830-122800.jpg

The pistol transmitter feels compact, lightweight and... totally weird to me. A lifetime of stick transmitters does not help with this, it will sure take some getting used to so we'll see how that goes... at least the travelling Hornet is back to life now.

The Hobby Shop was as usual: nice people, lots of Traxxas stuff, zero Tamiya (boring...) besides just a few static kits, and an interesting bunch of Kyosho spare baggies on sale.

Ā 

Human ear is a great build. I upgraded mine to have ceramic bearings on the hammer, the cochlea has a more viscous oil, IĀ find it helps with balance. Trimmed the lobe down a few mm and added a kevlar woven drum for more durability. Taking that down the park later to see how she hears.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

I though IFS stood for independent front suspension in the same way that IFRS stands for independent front and rear suspension?

• Like 3

Accidently bought a TL01 :rolleyes:

Ā 

Screenshot_20200830_204545.thumb.jpg.65a9f619632f0e429cf1efbc6a4a14fc.jpg

Ā 

It was an accident because I haven't rebuilt my TA04 or my Madcap yet!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Took the Neo Frog to the beach with it's "compensating for something" rear wingĀ :lol:

Had great fun and got lots of positive comments and none of the "yu shud get a pe'rol one m8" ones for a change.

gQ8SW9c.jpg

• Like 6

I started my "birthday gift build" today. Believe it or not, this is a COMPLETELY stock build so far, all that blue aluminum, ptfe bearing goodness, hex heads, and reinforced plastic came in the kit! Loving the build, I got as far as step 8 in the first 3 hours.

Bag A:

IMG-20200830-232233.jpg

Ā 

Bag B:

IMG-20200831-011921.jpg

Ā 

Progress so far:

IMG-20200831-023744.jpg

Ā 

It's a TB04R btw:)

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I started my "birthday gift build" today. Believe it or not, this is a COMPLETELY stock build so far, all that blue aluminum, ptfe bearing goodness, hex heads, and reinforced plastic came in the kit! Loving the build, I got as far as step 8 in the first 3 hours.

Bag A:

IMG-20200830-232233.jpg

Ā 

Bag B:

IMG-20200831-011921.jpg

Ā 

Progress so far:

IMG-20200831-023744.jpg

Ā 

It's a TB04R btw:)

Oh wow! The TB04R is still on my wishlist. Please show us more build pics. šŸ˜‰

Ā 

• Like 1

B5 yesterday afternoon (Melbourne had wind gusts up to 100km/h, so I thought I'd go inside before a tree fell on me):

1021121213_2020-08-3012_23.46-2.thumb.jpg.a4ad46045e605296c68d33624a4f3aa7.jpg

1330982741_2020-08-3012_20.13-2.thumb.jpg.817a8266f6d11c93a13af6a1c386a355.jpg

Ā 

Dancing Rider this afternoon (I will not rest until more people buy these, they really are a unique and enjoyable vehicle):

69480345_2020-08-3117_02_38.thumb.jpg.078b662100ace5d4c107b48f09185031.jpg

1949143705_2020-08-3116_59_43.thumb.jpg.395841fbd4b6b4250ca55e3e05f7323e.jpg

Ā 

• Like 5

Trimmed and drilled the Yaris shell.Ā  A bit of minor flaking paint around the front bumper while trimming which is a concern for when it starts gets some abuse.Ā  The window masking and black detail painting job by Tamiya is top notch though.

Had to shave the front bumper foam down on the XV01 but I might be able to use the Subaru XV body posts on the chassis instead of installing a new set which is a bonus.

93AcPi9.jpg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Ā 

20200830-122800.jpg

Ā 

Human ear! I could do with a new one or two of these I've suddenly realised how deaf I've actually become, the other day in my local supermarket I bumped into an old work colleague obviously with the face mask on and he was talking to me and together with "social distancing" I didn't have a clue what he was talking about it was just a few minutes of mumbling.........role on when we can get rid of this antisocial rulings?

14 hours ago, Busdriver said:

I though IFS stood for independent front suspension in the same way that IFRS stands for independent front and rear suspension?

Independent suspension is any automobile suspension system that allows each wheel on the same axle to move vertically (i.e. reacting to a bump on the road) independently of the others. ... Most modern vehicles have independent front suspension (IFS).

• Like 1

Staying over a the in-laws, so took advantage of their asphalt driveway to try out some drifting with the TT02S-D.

Good fun, started to get the hang of it, but much more to practice.

Painted up a new drift body too :)

91-EC22-C0-C6-D7-4265-840-B-A9-C9-EC84-A

9783-BDC8-3957-43-A0-B5-FF-53-ACFDFF84-B

43655252-87-EC-4876-ACB3-0695-C5941-CA4.

Ā 

Might need some new boots though :DĀ 

• Like 9