Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Fitted these to my Boomerang, for the craic!

IMG_7385.jpeg.2a600ef8923bbffb7ba9f68e6429efbc.jpeg

All set for some mucking about in Porthcawl on Saturday while Mrs J has a surfing lesson B)

IMG_7391.jpeg.c7354ed8bb27416d66806073cce8385d.jpeg

If the motor goes up in smoke I've got a Superstock BZ waiting in the wings 

do you know that porthcawl has a live video feed from the RNLI station that is on u-tube (i thinks a opportunity is their for the taking);)

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, topforcein said:

do you know that porthcawl has a live video feed from the RNLI station that is on u-tube (i thinks a opportunity is their for the taking);)

Amazing!! Though not sure if my driving is to be trusted that close to the sea wall :lol:

• Haha 1

Not exactly today, but finished my NIB zahhak build and body as well as a full restore of an original Frog.  Bought a roller off ebay with no body, no driver, some missing parts, a busted spur gear and unknowingly two cracked rear arms right where the suspension screws in.  Many of the screws were wrong and none of the plastic nubs were shaved off.  So did a whole tear down.  Shaved all the excess plastic nubs.  Replaced all bushings with bearings.  Sourced some proper screws.  I also bought the C parts tree off ebay but I didn't realize I bought a Super Blackfoot parts tree so the plastic is gray instead of black.  I have a rere Blackfoot with black arms so at some point I'll swap so the Frog is more genuine.  But I like how it came out.  

Also, the zahhak was finally painted.  I used PS-3 which is supposed to be a lighter blue but the gun metal paint I used for the backing and windows darkened it up.  I like it though.  The decals were a rat *******.  I left a few off because it had me layering the stickers which I strongly dislike. 

Zahhak has a goolrc 17t motor and a hobbywing 1060 ESC and a futaba s3003 servo.  Frog has a 540, original futaba servo but no ESC yet.  It's gonna be a shelfer.  But I plan to get an ESC and run it at least once or twice.  

frog2.jpeg

frog1.jpeg

zahhak.jpeg

• Like 4

Finished my TA03-F Audi A4 rebuild as far as I want to get in the moment. I've bought the car over a classified site and it was well used. For the rebuild the chassis was completely striped and cleaned. New C-Hubs, a new belt and complete new electronics were the only parts that needs replacement. Also the car has now a complete set of ball bearings. The wheels are not the kit ones but came with the car and I think they match quite good.

As the body was way more damaged as I first thought and as the situation for parts and nice touring car bodies is not the best in the moment I've decided to do the best with it that was possible. The body is now weathered as a hard raced touring car. Scratches and cracks are taken and shown with dignity, also the colour marks of hard fights with the competitors. The right wing mirror got lost in a fight. The whole car is covered in the typical black dusty dirt from the race track.

The most difficult part of weathering is to stop before it looks excessive. But I think it turns out pretty well. As these are only phone pics they don't show it perfectly.

IMG_20200910_172245_compress49.thumb.jpg.e08e8c6a51258254b124f89c8fabaa63.jpg

IMG_20200910_172424_compress53.thumb.jpg.a9a86b3fedde72a8103ae13deaf6875f.jpg

IMG_20200910_172500_compress19.thumb.jpg.b9b1267a33cbc0e9bfe09ca47ff75eca.jpg

IMG_20200910_172645_compress98.thumb.jpg.9fa78c0612dd751c76108689fd578770.jpg

• Like 13

Made some progress with the Dirt (cheap) Thrasher. 

Stripped, cleaned, rebuilt, shocks added and on its new rims and rubber :D

Screenshot_20200910_194700.thumb.jpg.b413e94e56abaf1dfc0f453b02167978.jpg

• Like 3

Helped my middle daughter (of 3) build her first brand new Tamiya kit, a re-re Terra Scorcher that she bought herself from her savings. Didn't have much time to spare this evening and she has only got the gearboxes done so far but a very enjoyable evening of quality time with her.

• Like 10

So after buying a Traxxas XL5 ESC on Wednesday afternoon and fitting it to my TT01, I bought another one with the intention of keeping it as a spare for when I buy the new MST CMX Jimny J4. So that was that, then I remembered that the CC01 still had an old Axial AE1 ESC in it, also without LVD. At this point I was thinking I'd put the second XL5 in that (when it arrives from the other side of the country), and call it a day for the time being.

Well at 5.15am Thursday I had a thought: I have 2 Hobbywing 860 ESCs (a twin motor ESC for things like a Traxxas Summit), wired up for twin batteries (2x2S=4S). I re-wired one to take a single battery (a relatively straightforward task as I use Traxxas plugs) and then tested it on 2S, with the single 80T brushed motor I have in the CC01. It worked! So, having resolved that issue I got around to fixing the other issue I had with the Toyota - the far too white and modern headlights. I tried a variety of sharpies, paint, etc to get the desired colour but in the end a 'terracotta' Copic permanent marker did the trick.

So now all of my cars (finally) can run LiPos without an alarm, and I have a spare Traxxas XL5 and a spare Hobbywing 860.

2028239090_StarredPhotos3.thumb.jpg.9244277067d4360fadd76fd725bd5acb.jpg

Given that my new vehicle still hasn't turned up, I have another clue: it has a really good turning circle...

• Like 4

I finally installed the electronics on my M08, and cut out/mounted the body. Strangely, the rear wheels sat ever so slightly too far back when I mounted the body, even though the fronts were spot on. I took the 2 plastic spacers from the front of the rear lower arms and put them in the back to shorten the wheelbase a tiny bit and it's fine now. All that's left now is to glue the tires, paint the body, and apply stickers. Then the fun begins!

IMG-20200911-215842.jpg

IMG-20200911-204212.jpg

IMG-20200911-204103.jpg

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I finally installed the electronics on my M08, and cut out/mounted the body. Strangely, the rear wheels sat ever so slightly too far back when I mounted the body, even though the fronts were spot on. I took the 2 plastic spacers from the front of the rear lower arms and put them in the back to shorten the wheelbase a tiny bit and it's fine now. All that's left now is to glue the tires, paint the body, and apply stickers. Then the fun begins!

I just changed the rear tires on M08 from M-grip to S-grip and it made a huge difference.  The rear is planted enough to turn full lock under max throttle.  It understeers, but the car won't spin out any more.  I can't tell from the pic which you have on your car, @DeadMeat666, but the S-grips on the M08 are fantastical!

1 minute ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

I just changed the rear tires on M08 from M-grip to S-grip and it made a huge difference.  The rear is planted enough to turn full lock under max throttle.  It understeers, but the car won't spin out any more.  I can tell from the pic which you have on your car, @DeadMeat666, but the S-grips on the M08 are fantastical!

I have M-grip on the front and S-grip on the rear at the moment. I seem to have a knack for tuning a car pretty well on the bench before I ever run it. I must've been a race mechanic in a previous life lol. The bit I enjoy most about driving my rc cars is testing them to see what I can tweak further. I get a little sad inside once a car is well-sorted because it means my job is done.:)

• Like 1

OK, so my new vehicle turned up yesterday.

These were the clues:

• RTR (not available as a kit),
  • Japanese,
  • Oddball,
  • It won't work with a Traxxas controller,
  • It's twin motor,
  • The NiMH battery it comes with will fit in the CC01, and
  • It has a really good turning circle.

Let me introduce the Kyosho Trail King! This will be a very surface-specific vehicle, but straight after its first run I needed to make a couple of adjustments: the plastic 48P 16T pinions were replaced with stock Traxxas ones I had spare, and for some reason the vehicle comes with the tracks set far too loose (they would repeatedly fall off) so I've put some (not too much) tension into those. If anyone has any experience with the "suspension" in these I'd love a chat - I cannot figure it out!

744728097_2020-09-1116_04_38.thumb.jpg.f8af6baa82139697e6d4d4139929a817.jpg

125558852_2020-09-1113_58_06.thumb.jpg.5b009d6a0588b689d972c023d117672f.jpg

• Like 7

Trimmed up the Rock Socker body today.  I trimmed it and left some extra below the grille for a bumper to cover the exposed front motor.  Apologies, it's a bit difficult to see.

JLUb5eq.jpg

I'm thinking of using it on the XV01.  I've got some wheels and tyres from the CC01 I'll use.  I now only need the Asterion front bumper I think.  The only place I've seen it for sale is Tamico.  All those people buying XV01T Asterions to convert into rally cars tossing the Asterion bumper in the bin and now I'm going in the other direction and they're tough to get.

I also took a few photos to sell things and somebody decided to get involved.

Oh, so we're allowed to do things on the table now?

K2Jdear.jpg

• Like 4

Today I spent a few hours trying to fix at least one out of my three Carson stick transmitters, by now all battered up and with different issues: one has absolutely zero range, another has acceleration issues (spazzy and unpredictable instead of gradual) and the last one has trouble going back to neutral.

Lots of attempts but close to zero luck (little improvements, still not worth using), so I decided to forget about them altogether, at least for the moment.

Since I recently bought a Flysky gun transmitter, I took advantage of the dirt cheap receivers for that instead, and bought a lot of 5 on the bay.

I'm still not impressed by gun transmitters even now that I'm using one, I guess I will always prefer the stick ones, but wow, now I get to enjoy the bright side of it, finally having the receivers available and cheap.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

IMG-20200911-215842.jpg

IMG-20200911-204212.jpg

IMG-20200911-204103.jpg

Looks great so far! What colour scheme are you planning?

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Looks great so far! What colour scheme are you planning?

I was thinking PS-54 Cobalt green with a black top. That will take weeks to arrive though, so don't expect any pics soon :lol:

Tried a 2s lipo in my chrome edition midnight pumpkin... I liked it, so put a different motor in it (no idea what it is mind) the thing flew! Took it to the local skate park (there's a nice patch of tarmac but ended up on the ramps) and found out the body mounts aren't the best on these and I can't really call it a chrome edition anymore 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Today I mounted the Eagle spiked tires on my Manta Ray, so -at least for this round of upgrades- it's finally complete!

Here's a few pics (many more on the build thread) before I set off to get it dirty again and scratch that lettering off the rubber :lol: 

Hope you like it.

20200912-132853.jpg

20200911-235710.jpg

20200911-235624.jpg

20200911-235723.jpg

• Like 10

I did the following today:

1) Fitted 2.4Ghz receivers to two more cars

2) Removed and replaced 16 tyres

3) Repaired my middle daughters car (burnt out ESC)

4) Continued to assist my daughter with her new terra scorcher build (suspension today)

5) Enjoyed a few races with my daughters on our track, did about 200 laps in total with no breakages on any car other than losing body clips. 

6) Ordered more parts to get the Avante2001 and Vanquish back into running condition.

• Like 3

Today I cracked open my stock Lunchbox, and went from this...

IMG_20200912_215516.jpg

To this...

IMG_20200913_011411.jpg

IMG_20200913_015010.jpg

Summing up, I swapped in an AMPRO HD double-wishbone suspension set, aluminum front knuckles, aluminum bumper skidplate, suspension brace, and front bulkhead (for added weight in the front), AMPRO bottom-rear shock mounts (but had to switch back because they were not compatible with pogos), a new stock rear end, and of course a red chassis to give a better contrast with the black body.

How much better it will make the Lunchbox handle is anyone's guess, I just did it because I like tinkering :D

• Like 7

I got sniped on a cheap TT02 Porsche which was really irritating today.

Unexpectedly found an hour or so to fit some new parts to my resident Konghead.

I will start the detailing on my HTC next as the paint and masking tape arrived last week. 

• Like 1