Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Now, can anyone GUESS what I did today?

I am sooo dead.... :lol:

You'll thank us later when the wife's fury subsides. :lol:

Now share some pics when it arrives. ;)

• Haha 2

I had an epiphany this weekend.

For several years now I've been building and restoring both my own and other TC members cars and gained a lot of enjoyment from it. I've got to admit though, that apart from a quick servo test in the garage, I've not run any of them. The last time I took a car out for a proper run would've been probably about 26 years ago. 

Well - some said it would never happen (I could list them all here but they know who they are!!! ;) ) but I'm pleased to report that this weekend - that all changed! No, I didn't run one of my cars..... I ran 2 of them!!!!!! :P:o:blink::huh::D

It was blummin awesome!!!!! :) :) :) I'd completely forgotten how much fun it is to use these things in the way they were designed to be used! It was only a couple of test/set up kinda runs up and down the road and around the back garden but I had such a silly grin glued to my face! 

First up was the inaugural run of the Durga. After getting my rx channels sorted thanks to @Jonathon Gillham I took the Durga out of the garage and out onto the road. A gentle little run back and forth a few times to get the trims right and work out the responses and then I gradually increased the throttle inputs. I jokingly said to my mate the day before that "A 5.5T on a 2S lipo is pretty much the same as a Sports Tuned on a decent Ni-Cad right?" to which he replied, yeah, as long as you don't go beyond 3mm with the throttle stick!" and you know what - he wasn't wrong! LOL! Oh my word does this thing move! I never got anywhere near half throttle before I had to back off. The one time I did it just spun itself sideways in a powerslide. Methinks I need a much bigger space to explore this with. 

Next up - and at the complete opposite end of the spectrum was the CR-01 Land Cruiser. I think I've got a 55T brushed motor in it, but even with that and a 2S it was not far off what I remember my old Blackfoot being like :) So there I was in the back garden acting more like a 13 year old than a 43 year old gathering up bits of wood and making obstacles for it to climb over - loving every minute of it :) 

Hopefully I'm off to a local BMX/Pump track tonight with a mate to go and give the Durga a proper run!

So the message I want to pass on to all those shelf queen chaps out there - I was like you - but it's good to change - no it's GREAT to change! Get out there and use them!!! :) 

disclaimer: I won't be running the Avante or Astute though - I'm not that far converted yet! :rolleyes:

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Aerobert said:

That are M-Chassis wheels. When I build my Sand Rover on the shortens DT-02 chassis I searched the internet for suitable wheels for the Sand Blaster tyres. An obvious wrong information I found was that the M-Chassis wheels would fit. Therefore I've ordered them. When they arrived I was clear that they are not usable in that way. So I decided to make them bigger. I've searched several hardware stores until I found a plastic tube for toilet flushing which had the right inner and outer diameter. This was cut in thin slices of about 5 mm and glued onto the wheels. Then shaped with a blade and abrasive paper and painted. This is the short version. It took some hours to finish them but like the Beetle-look for the VW based Sand Rover.

IMG_20200725_231505_compress56.thumb.jpg.587886d41e13b0d5a76b9a0114e3b474.jpg

That's brilliant!!! Awesome work ;) 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

I had an epiphany this weekend.

For several years now I've been building and restoring both my own and other TC members cars and gained a lot of enjoyment from it. I've got to admit though, that apart from a quick servo test in the garage, I've not run any of them. The last time I took a car out for a proper run would've been probably about 26 years ago. 

Well - some said it would never happen (I could list them all here but they know who they are!!! ;) ) but I'm pleased to report that this weekend - that all changed! No, I didn't run one of my cars..... I ran 2 of them!!!!!! :P:o:blink::huh::D

It was blummin awesome!!!!! :) :) :) I'd completely forgotten how much fun it is to use these things in the way they were designed to be used! It was only a couple of test/set up kinda runs up and down the road and around the back garden but I had such a silly grin glued to my face! 

First up was the inaugural run of the Durga. After getting my rx channels sorted thanks to @Jonathon Gillham I took the Durga out of the garage and out onto the road. A gentle little run back and forth a few times to get the trims right and work out the responses and then I gradually increased the throttle inputs. I jokingly said to my mate the day before that "A 5.5T on a 2S lipo is pretty much the same as a Sports Tuned on a decent Ni-Cad right?" to which he replied, yeah, as long as you don't go beyond 3mm with the throttle stick!" and you know what - he wasn't wrong! LOL! Oh my word does this thing move! I never got anywhere near half throttle before I had to back off. The one time I did it just spun itself sideways in a powerslide. Methinks I need a much bigger space to explore this with. 

Next up - and at the complete opposite end of the spectrum was the CR-01 Land Cruiser. I think I've got a 55T brushed motor in it, but even with that and a 2S it was not far off what I remember my old Blackfoot being like :) So there I was in the back garden acting more like a 13 year old than a 43 year old gathering up bits of wood and making obstacles for it to climb over - loving every minute of it :) 

Hopefully I'm off to a local BMX/Pump track tonight with a mate to go and give the Durga a proper run!

So the message I want to pass on to all those shelf queen chaps out there - I was like you - but it's good to change - no it's GREAT to change! Get out there and use them!!! :) 

disclaimer: I won't be running the Avante or Astute though - I'm not that far converted yet! :rolleyes:

No, I'm not having it. Who are you and what have you done with the real @jonboy1?

• Haha 3

Good work @jonboy1! Glad you enjoyed them!

Next up, bigger space and photo evidence!

I've got to admit, I get at least as much pleasure as my six year-old throwing the Dual Hunter and Hornet round the back garden...

• Like 2

Good on you. I’m on holiday in a really rc friendly cottage and I’ve run things in ways I never have been able at home. The grin factor!!!

• Like 4

Got up @ 4am today as there’s a lot going on at the moment.

But anyway started the masking of the HCT shell and realised how involving it is!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Got up @ 4am today as there’s a lot going on at the moment.

Wait... there’s a 4 ‘AM’ too? I thought that was a myth... or for people with small children...

• Haha 5

Did a quick spray job on the cossie, it's in poor condition but didn't wanna throw it away and its only gonna be a runner. 

Screenshot_20200915_093322.thumb.jpg.cd6670d217dd509e3917dc750f790418.jpgScreenshot_20200915_093232.thumb.jpg.b07e5d5dc7e4448b49ed88f189e176dc.jpgScreenshot_20200915_093241.thumb.jpg.66fbb436a3bb799ecced7e11ffe14f28.jpg

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Busdriver said:

The grin factor!!!

The grin factor is one of the most valuable things our hobby allows us to get and we should pursue it whenever we can :)

Speaking of which. Yesterday afternoon I had a couple unexpected hours of free time and, with the help of a few cones and a shovel, decided to spend it the Tamiya way.

I built a rudimentary track in the garden and drove my newly upgraded Manta Ray on it. Plenty of grin, even though I was all alone. 

Ps the car rips now, but is clearly begging for Lipo. It never ends..-_-:rolleyes:

20200915-013220.jpg

20200915-013643.jpg

20200915-013422.jpg

20200914-193529.jpg

• Like 9

Loving the colour scheme on that Manta Ray @Ferruz

Today we have scorching hot weather so of course I set up indoors with a hairdryer and a complex set of stickers...

7F15378D-AD17-4229-A682-FB85696B3038.thumb.jpeg.d20b1c8d5ef245893f794884cacdd4f8.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

So after several years of soldering problems, I finally bit the bullet and bought a decent soldering iron! 
just need to find something to solder now 😂 

265BB6AD-3C85-4035-8D14-F369FE01E4B8.jpeg.4f1b39e5fa288eba9a1906c47125e0bf.jpeg

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, catman79 said:

So after several years of soldering problems, I finally bit the bullet and bought a decent soldering iron! 
just need to find something to solder now 😂 

265BB6AD-3C85-4035-8D14-F369FE01E4B8.jpeg.4f1b39e5fa288eba9a1906c47125e0bf.jpeg

Nice! I'd send you my stuff to practice on but I've ordered a cheapie solder station today so I can give it a try.

48 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Nice! I'd send you my stuff to practice on but I've ordered a cheapie solder station today so I can give it a try.

I think any solder station would be better than a naf iron, good luck with yours, let me know how it goes!  I’m Gonna try not to melt a spur gear this time 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Loving the colour scheme on that Manta Ray @Ferruz

Today we have scorching hot weather so of course I set up indoors with a hairdryer and a complex set of stickers...

7F15378D-AD17-4229-A682-FB85696B3038.thumb.jpeg.d20b1c8d5ef245893f794884cacdd4f8.jpeg

When exactly do you use the hair dryer? When the sticker is cut to shape and still on the backing or when you are applying it?

I took the  Ranger body out of the bowl of brake fluid where is has been gently stewing for two weeks.

There was so much paint on it, i thought i'd go old school and do the brake fluid thing. I had to wet and dry a couple of places where the paint was very thick, but i'm really pleased with the outcome.

J

spacer.png

Considering the amount of crap paint and varnish that was on it, it came out ok.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Fitted the full ceramic AliExpress specials into gears tonight. Without the diffs the gears move a lot more freely now. Slightly more noisy.

3 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

When exactly do you use the hair dryer? When the sticker is cut to shape and still on the backing or when you are applying it?

Cut sticker, place it carefully where it needs to be (if it's a big sticker, use the soapy water method) once happy with position then give it a good 10 seconds with a hairdryer, moving back and forth. It should be hot to touch but not so much that it really hurts! The decals will form to the shape much better and the glue seems to hold better in my experience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/14/2020 at 5:32 PM, Peter_B said:

No, I'm not having it. Who are you and what have you done with the real @jonboy1?

On 9/14/2020 at 5:59 PM, Badcrumble said:

Good work @jonboy1! Glad you enjoyed them!

Next up, bigger space and photo evidence!

I've got to admit, I get at least as much pleasure as my six year-old throwing the Dual Hunter and Hornet round the back garden...

Yesterday I had another epiphany (I really should look that up and find out what it is in case it's serious) 

I took the Durga to the bmx/pump track for a proper run......

IMG_1628

Yup - that was why I left them on the shelf :wacko:

If you're wondering why the picture is slightly blurry it's because I was sobbing whilst taking it.

So to those who have projects in progress and planned with me, everything has been pushed back 2 months while I strip and rebuild this and find brand new replacement parts......

:blink:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I'd call that photo evidence @jonboy1! That's some dirt! Is that the last time you'll ever run anything?!

I did some CAD yesterday, with working on a rear deck cover for my JK

DF339C55-F489-49B0-80BA-95518D212579.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I'd call that photo evidence @jonboy1! That's some dirt! Is that the last time you'll ever run anything?!

I did some CAD yesterday, with working on a rear deck cover for my JK

DF339C55-F489-49B0-80BA-95518D212579.jpg

Yup - everything else has been screwed or glued to the shelf to make sure I don't have another episode like that. ;) 

Top tip - give the sticks a few coats of clear yellow or orange (depending on how dark you want to go)  - it gives them a lovely deep varnished wood look

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

Yup - everything else has been screwed or glued to the shelf to make sure I don't have another episode like that. ;) 

Go really nuts and get yourself a Nitro to run 👍🏻💥

• Haha 1

Started fitting up a turnbuckle kit to my Blitzer and had a poke around at my newly acquired Kyosho Beetle. Ordered a new body set & decals for it as a spare. Need to sort out some running gear next month to get her running 🙂