Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I know the feeling. I am almost at the point where I can do shells to a standard that I am happy to display myself. I wouldn't want the pressure of trying to do the same for someone else!

10 hours ago, Blista said:

Instead of car bodies he asked if I'd like to do tanks and trucks!  I didn't say no, but the responsibility for getting an expensive vehicle like that right for someone else might be life shortening.  :lol:

I can concur that it doesn't improve your nerves and cutting out hundreds of stickers for someone like @acprc ruins your hands! ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lee76 said:

Which ESC is this?

Its a Traxxas XL5. Training mode gives you 50% power for forward and reverse but retains 100% braking. The stock 12T Titan was very quick for my yard so I had already installed the 23T version. This brought it down to the a speed roughly that of a stock-ish Blackfoot (a drop from roughly 25 mph to 15 mph). With that cut by 50% in training mode, speed is down around 380 powered Grasshopper levels while still retaining some of the 550 torque to allow it trundle about the grass fairly uninhibited. 

• Like 1

Finished a L&L models RS500 complete with their wheels. 

Quite pleased with it, it's not the usual Tamiya standard as to be expected, it's a little thin at the bottom and it's not perfectly square. 

The 3D printed spoiler needed warming and straightening and the wheels are a bit rough. 

But it's a RS500 😍

IMG_20200921_213210.jpg

• Like 6

Got sucked into eBay and bought my first car of 2020. Not even a Tamiya, a 'lightly used' FTX Outlaw. Oops, I'd been doing so well...

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Got sucked into eBay and bought my first car of 2020. Not even a Tamiya, a 'lightly used' FTX Outlaw. Oops, I'd been doing so well...

hey - it's nearly the end of September and this is your first car bought? That's serious restraint exhibited there! I'm pretty sure I didn't make it past April I thought that was quite an achievement! ;) 

1 hour ago, jonboy1 said:

hey - it's nearly the end of September and this is your first car bought? That's serious restraint exhibited there! I'm pretty sure I didn't make it past April I thought that was quite an achievement! ;) 

This year has been all about the M05-RA and my GCM JK Jeep. I built and ran the M05 and the Jeep is edging closer to being able to run. I really shouldn't be buying more cars - I've run out of room and I have plenty I should be fixing / restoring / building. 

12 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Its difficult not to buy more rc cars and parts,  I am trying  not to buy more cars and parts that I don't need, but is it hard sometimes you have very nice bargains, must resist :P.

The last car I bought was 5 months ago, and the last rc stuff about 4 months ago so I am doing wel for an rc junkie:D.

You're right @dannymulder, it is difficult! And you are doing well - I bought a heap of parts to try and finish my JK trail rig this month too.

I'd been browsing thread on another forum and had always like the Outlaw's 'rock racer' look. I think my son is going to love it (mainly because it is red), my wife less so.

Having taken the plunge, I reckon I have a relatively cheap basher that can take some inexpensive modification over time. However, I really ought to let go of something in order to give this one some space in the garage.

Perhaps three Dual Hunters is two too many? Or an M38 is a restoration project too far? My unused used CC01 just a box filler?  I'm not good at letting go...

35 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Did a short video today...

Wow never seen anything like it, that is very fast and sensitive servo!  Very cool.

• Like 1

Started to put my Avante 2001 back together with its new carbon decks,  new screws and new bearings. All the plastic is original (even the gears) and have just been washed and inspected. 

1686270683_avante2001_rebuild7(1).thumb.jpg.243ea4cf2e7351057822adff77d5e7d3.jpg

• Like 2

Picked up a MF-01x Rally Beetle, assembled it with full bearings, threaded oil shocks and a 16T brushed motor and swapped the wheels/tires. Tested on slightly wet asphalt and it's a decent drive. Next up: Body work.

MF-01x.jpg

• Like 4

so I've got myself in a right tizz - and as made evident by my comment about "non-genuine" Tamiya parts in the "postman" section I shall refrain from making any comments and shall just ask for your sage advice :)

I was finishing up rebuilding the Durga last night and got to the point of sticking the ESC and receiver back in. As I'd used the Tx for the CR-01 over the weekend I needed to bind it back to the Durga, so I connected everything up and turned on the Toro. Immediately the steering went nuts, and about 3 seconds later I smelled a bit of smoke and the Toro died. Ole!! :( 

I had a bit of a poke around with it and checked all the connections etc and it all looked fine. As it was clearly not going to power back up I figured I had nothing to lose by taking the case apart and seeing if there was anything obviously wrong with it. I undid one of the screws on the bottom and was surprised and concerned to find the threads full of the red dust/grit from the bmx track :( Further dis-assembly revealed loads of grit and dust all over the boards. I'm really surprised at how "leaky" this is considering it's intended usage!  I also noticed how plasticy the cases were considering I'd bought the aluminium version.....

Everything was cleaned with a good application of contact cleaner, dried and reassembled. I wasn't expecting it to work, but thought I'd give it another go and sure enough - nada.

Got the box out at this point, as I thought my only option from here was to contact SkyRC and see if I could buy a pair of boards off them as the "aluminium" cases are fine, so might save a bit of cost. Popped on their website, went to the ESC's and thought - "hang on, that doesn't look like my ESC." Checked the product number against their website - yup - I got sent the plastic one despite having paid for the aluminium version!! :angry:

So now I have no idea what to do. 

The seller almost certainly isn't going to take it back for an exchange because I've soldered the connections and used it - and it's broken. That said, they sent me the wrong item, but I didn't notice before I used it, and broke it. But, I don't think I misused it (only used it once for crying out loud and didn't run it through a pond!) so I feel it shouldn't have broken straight away.

Where do you think I should go from here? :unsure:

@jonboy1

I would e-mail them explaining briefly what happened - that you installed it and used it once and it failed, which may or may not be due to dust contamination. Then that you notced you'd been sent the wrong one while you were looking online for fault-finding info.

Be truthful, and leave out anything emotional or shouty, and ask if there's anything they can do for you.

An online shop or serious ebay trader is unlikely to tell you to get stuffed, they'll likely value their reputation too much. But they may offer you something from a small discount to a replacement. Either of which would put you in a better position than you are now.

It can't hurt to ask, and you can always escalate from there if you want to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fitted my Neo Fighter out with the carbon rear shock tower to match the front....plus fitted GPM racing blue alloy wing mount ..... eventually I with kit her out with more GPM racing blue...stuff ....but next build is coming up soon 'Hopper' standard build apart from 540 TT motor ....

IMG_20200923_114109.jpg

• Like 4

The £15 TA04 is getting more expensive by the day, I rebuilt the chassis with a new tub, but the belts are a bit worn and if I'm gonna race it then they'll need replacing so I ordered new front and rear belts. 

Here she is looking low on foams! Screenshot_20200923_141611.thumb.jpg.c24a68ffb5ba23715121f0db07bbe0ef.jpg

Further to this, I decided to fit the GTR body, which is a little rough to say the least, then I found some old stickers laying around and thought, "I know what?" :lol:

Screenshot_20200923_141623.thumb.jpg.c8aa8296b705af8507ed6d1bc22dcca3.jpg

Reminds me of an old flame I sold years back! 

Screenshot_20200923_143639.thumb.jpg.0e255a34e043906369a24cb9ee65df6a.jpg

• Like 3

Only one picture today, but I did a few things here and there....

I assembled the CVA II shock set for my lunchbox which I've overhauled, only to remember that I'm still waiting for those little brackets that are required if you swap out the pogos for oil shocks. Darn it!

I removed the little square of aluminum tape the M07 manual tells you to place in order to prevent dust/dirt from entering the transmission, and replaced it with a 3d-printed plug from shapeways.

I set up all my runners completely with receivers and speedos, and of course ordered more receivers for the unfinished kits I have. I don't like the idea of swapping out electronics from one car to another every time I want to drive one (not that I get time to drive any, but I'm just OCD like that).

The DF03 stickers finally came in, but I have to wait for masking tape to arrive before I can spray it, since I'm planning a 2-color paint job.

I FINALLY (!!!) got around to spraying one of my bodies, the M07 Golf GTI, and I managed to get one sticker on before I got busy with other things and had to put all my toys away :lol:

It's not a perfect job, but I'm happy with it:

IMG-20200923-170047.jpg

May be a little difficult to notice here, but I also tried out the pipe-cutter on the posts, good stuff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I removed the little square of aluminum tape the M07 manual tells you to place in order to prevent dust/dirt from entering the transmission, and replaced it with a 3d-printed plug from shapeways.

I have one, but it seems to require more force to insert than I am comfortable applying. How did you manage to get the plug to fit? Trimming? Sanding?

Today I finally finished my G6-01!

I finished the initial build ages ago, but never got around to doing anything with the stock bodyshell as I didn't (and still don't) like the looks of it. Instead I built it a custom shell resembling an APC. However due to a slight miscalculation the rear wheels rubbed on the shell at full lock and full compression. I had put a lot of time and effort into the shell, so instead of hacking at it, I widened the chassis slightly by fitting GF-01CB suspension arms. This solved the rubbing issue nicely, but brought with it another issue in that the front dogbones on the GF-01CB are longer than the rear ones by 3mm. The difference can be dealt with to a point with 45mm dogbones and extra O-rings, and this works on the flat, but as soon as it hit a gradient, ominous metallic sounds indicated that the contact between dogbone and drive cup was tenuous at best. The correct 48mm dogbones were the only proper solution. With the only set I could find on-line out of reach at Seidel with their German-only shipping policy, it was a case of ordering some in via Tony. They took more than 3 months to get here thanks to the Covid-19 shipping situation, but they arrived earlier today, and are now fitted and working.

Now my G6-01 can climb slopes like it ought, with no unpleasant noises, and can at last be considered properly finished! :D

• Like 3

haven't done much this year...

just started to wench... had conversion for TRX-4 front motor with scale engine.

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-24 at 1.46.34 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-24 at 1.59.12 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-24 at 12.00.05 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-24 at 12.00.11 AM.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

I have one, but it seems to require more force to insert than I am comfortable applying. How did you manage to get the plug to fit? Trimming? Sanding?

Nope, just pushing :lol:

I inserted the long side normally and used a coin edge to squeeze the shorter tab into the hole.

The longer tab goes on the curved side of the gearbox and the shorter tab on the straight side, if that helps.

• Thanks 1

Converted my Amarok from WT01-N to WT01W. Pleasantly surprised with the look, should make it a bit more stable. Just need some grippier tyres. I beleive MB pin spikes are a good choice? Do I need front and rear or just rear.

IMG_2119.JPG.e3748498bb8337461ff8ff860ab5229c.JPGIMG_2120.JPG.98e8f13ef8b19fc37aa734e2b2d4852a.JPG

Also nearly got the three wheeler done. It has quite a few hopups on it along with a Hobbywing brushless 2435 4500kv motor and 2S lipo(My first). Should be fun. Might have it running by the weekend.IMG_2121.JPG.245240dc7eb01fadcdf635ba4418b9f3.JPG

At the moment it needs a piggy back. Mmmmmm I need a trailer

IMG_2122.JPG.8c9a6e69186ea93f8dc5639ae95dd27d.JPG

• Like 4

Printed an interior for an XV01:

8785851A-D655-4600-8174-C28491F92212.jpg

There must be different xv01s, as it doesn’t fit mine :D

all I can imagine is they removed the esc covers, antenna holder  even then the seat is too tall for the Audi body, and too wide for the Asterion body.

nice idea though, I’ll have to have a crack at designing a seat like that  

• Like 4