Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Been a fan of Tamiya models since the late 80's, I have stayed dormant for a long time and was doing some wooden architecture models (Chinese, Korean and Japanese temples and buildings etc.) and recently all of sudden did three Tamiya models in a span of a month. A bit shoddy paint work, looking forward to learning from the experts. 

(1) Mercedes Benz G500, CC-02 chassis

(2) Rover Mini, brand new M-01 chassis 

(3) MAN TGX 540

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

The G500 looks nice, is that Gun Metal or Bright Gun Metal?

Thanks! That was the pre-painted Bright Gun Metal body that came with the TAM # 47441 kit. 

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Today I finally finished my G6-01!

I finished the initial build ages ago, but never got around to doing anything with the stock bodyshell as I didn't (and still don't) like the looks of it. Instead I built it a custom shell resembling an APC. 

Congratulations! Pictures, please!

Also, if you've got the stock driveshafts, Konghead body and other leftovers (bumper mounts, wheels and tires, etc) please DM me if you'd like to sell them.

@jonboy1 if its only a few months old then you shouldn't have any issues with a warranty claim. I had a TS160 that didn't last a single race day, it just wouldn't turn on after a few races. I bought it from rcmart, they asked for a video showing the problem (not sure why, the video showed nothing happening) then I had to send it back. I was worried as I got it months before but there was no racing, so for all they knew I could've run it every day for months and worn it out. They just sent a replacement. Covid meant it took ages, but got there in the end.

• Thanks 1

Sold a truckload of my old rpg books and 40k stuff (bit bored of it tbh) and bought myself a vintage Sand Rover project to go with the Scorcher. Time to get back to on the resto tip  - it's been a while (a good few years:ph34r:). 

• Like 2

Sold a bunch of old Hornby Tri-ang train stuff to a collector in another state .

So I purchased a Kyosho Outlaw Rampage - comes with everything you see in the first image. 

As well rear cage and gearbox skid plate hop-ups for it.  ;)

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600a.jpg

s-l1600b.jpg

• Like 3

Saw that Penguin bodyshells now do a Super Sabre repro - complete with the lower wing piece - so ordered one of those.

Quite an unusual location for the Hornet today.

I wanted a change of scenary for my after-work RC run, so I decided to go up the hill to explore different possible places and ended up inside the Cemetery. This one is a truly beautiful and soothing place, where people are welcome and even encouraged to visit, walk or meditate. Even my little "RC meditation" was taken with a smile (obviously I kept it low and very respectful) and it turned out to be fun to just drive the car through the little walkways up and down.

It felt definitely different than usual.

20200923-221355.jpg

20200924-083641.jpg

20200924-173630.jpg

20200923-193015.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I spent the day in the garage working on my trail truck. I think I'll have been working on it for a year in December.

I made some damper mounts from Acetal using the old ones as a template.

755945F3-D8EA-4154-9380-5A7E5518E8A6.jpg

86364BDE-39B6-437D-A2B7-124B644FD420.jpg

Fitted them and the GCM battery hangers - with a bit of fettling.

3AFE4FA0-EF89-490B-80D7-91CA10E4A4AB.jpg

The new ESC is in (but needs programming), the battery needs a charge but most of all it needs two new dampers and some tyres. Just had a notification from Royal Mail that my tyres are reached the UK, dampers are due early October. Maybe have it running before Christmas?

• Like 5

On 9/23/2020 at 10:24 PM, lsear2905 said:

Congratulations! Pictures, please!

Also, if you've got the stock driveshafts, Konghead body and other leftovers (bumper mounts, wheels and tires, etc) please DM me if you'd like to sell them.

2020-09-25_09-54-49

2020-09-25_09-52-56

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2020 at 1:16 PM, Leethal Driver said:

Sold a truckload of my old rpg books and 40k stuff (bit bored of it tbh) and bought myself a vintage Sand Rover project to go with the Scorcher. Time to get back to on the resto tip  - it's been a while (a good few years:ph34r:). 

Hope you kept the paints. Will come in handy 😉 I do enjoy a bit of 40k painting every now and then. Never played but like the models. I recently got into the speed freeks and finished painting it a few weeks back.

20200805_121430

• Like 4

Had a go at painting some eyes on my Thunder Dragon driver. Did it on my runner first for practise. Amazing the flaws you see that close :lol: Reasonably happy. Certainly better than the shocked expression he had before 

20200925_221103

• Like 6

On 9/24/2020 at 9:26 AM, Mirrorman said:

Sold a bunch of old Hornby Tri-ang train stuff to a collector in another state .

So I purchased a Kyosho Outlaw Rampage - comes with everything you see in the first image. 

As well rear cage and gearbox skid plate hop-ups for it.  ;)

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600a.jpg

s-l1600b.jpg

That’s a fun one and good price. The only thing I dislike is the rear bulkhead/gearbox design. It’s easily susceptible to dirt getting in. I had to replace the stripped gears after running it a few times on loose dirt and now just run it in pavement.

Hello everyone, my first post. Not Tamiya but I put together most of a Re-re Kyosho Turbo Optima and I've been very impressed by it. It has been said by many others before but it is really top notch materials and finish and everything fell into place like a swiss watch. Looking forward to compare it to an Avante BS I'm building next.

IMG_9219.jpg

IMG_9227.jpg

IMG_9229.jpg

IMG_9232.jpg

• Like 12

5 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

2020-09-25_09-54-49

2020-09-25_09-52-56

That's incredibly cool = I especially love the repurposed exhaust stack!

• Like 2

all the 1/10 scale bike racks arent the style im looking for. they are either ones for the roof or ones for the spare tire but not any tray styled racks. so i modeled a 1up rack from some erector set pieces. its fairly functional. 

8B8D925F-235E-4794-A952-16C3341C618F.jpeg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Wrinkly beetle said:

Hello everyone, my first post. Not Tamiya but I put together most of a Re-re Kyosho Turbo Optima and I've been very impressed by it. It has been said by many others before but it is really top notch materials and finish and everything fell into place like a swiss watch. Looking forward to compare it to an Avante BS I'm building next.

IMG_9219.jpg

IMG_9227.jpg

IMG_9229.jpg

IMG_9232.jpg

Beautiful! This and the Ultima were just a dream back in the 80s. I couldn't afford one and waited until I graduated high school until I could buy an Astute.

Kyosho kits were way more advanced and better designed than Tamiya back then. Stock kits came with aluminum adjustable shocks, aluminum everywhere including wheel hubs. Tamiya was just more popular to the general consumer but not to racers. No Tamiya could match the Optima series on tracks even with the release of the over engineered Avante. Their kits were designed to race. Bashing was just second priority. Tamiya kits were bashers converted to ricers (yes I spelled it right, RICERS). It was only the time of the Astute/Egress/TA series when Tamiya had become serious about racing. But Yokomo, AE, Losi, Schumacher and Kyosho were already ahead of the game.

• Like 2

Managed to resuscitate a couple of old Ni-Cd battery packs today. I'm pleased with the unexpected result, they both took the charge and they pack quite a punch!  The Sanyo one especially feels like it wasn't used much at all, and has a lovely vintage look

They'll likely be added to my everyday use batteries, though it means that Sanyo one won't look that pristine for much longer.

20200926-101237.jpg

• Like 2

Fitted TRF special dampers to my TT01 Porsche RSR.

It definitely feels more "special" now - that might be related to the performance enhancing properties and pheromones given off by blue anodising.

Resized_20200926_154536_5140.jpeg

• Like 2

Rebuilt the madcap, and even gave it a little (gentle) run! 

Screenshot_20200926_170328.thumb.jpg.4080454759f535323fe1235339213323.jpg

• Like 1

I'm completely enamored with the M-chassis cars and find the idea of a 4wd M car fascinating.

The TA-05 M4 is obsolete and only accepts a 380 motor.  The remaining kits for sale are upwards of $450.

I succombed to the desire and ordered a 3racing Sakura M4, Savox, HobbyWing 17.5t, aluminum c-hubs, aluminum dampers and Europa body.  The whole lot was  under $450.

I'm running out of quality indoor space for the RC's, so there is consideration of putting the M07, M08 and a few crawlers up for sale.

• Like 2