Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Autumn is here. No Tamiya today just chill47AB4BA7-9D9C-4A5C-97B4-9747FF14414A.jpeg.0da2339b984b35730f817eba98ff4a16.jpeg

Love this. It is nice to get away from everything Tamiya, RC or models for a while. 

11 minutes ago, Luftstalag13 said:

Love this. It is nice to get away from everything Tamiya, RC or models for a while. 

Yep it helps that my debit card doesn’t work until Monday/Tuesday then it’s back to spend, spend, spend. 😇

• Haha 2

Threw some paint at my MF-01x Rally Beetle kit.  I was going for the "California Street Bug" look..

CalLookBeetle.jpg

Ca.jpg

CalLookBeetle1.jpg

• Like 17

Finished off the Turbo Optima chassis and fitted electronics (HW1060 with Super Stock RZ for now). I wanted to fit DF03 wheels and dual blocks for running, as Kyosho spares are hard to come by in New Zealand, but the wide rear wheels did not clear the shocks, which on this car is mounted to the rear uprights instead of lower arms. Made some wider rear hubs and they fit pretty well now. Gave it a quick test run out the back garden. Loved the unique sound it makes.

wheelHubs.jpg

IMG_9271.jpg

• Like 15

This weekend has been a bit of a mixed bag in the little hamlet of my RC world.

I'm still not having any joy getting a response out of the seller I got the (wrong) faulty Toro ESC  - all they've done is offer to reimburse the difference between the alloy one I paid for and the plastic one they sent. So I think I'm going to have to wait for ebay to get involved.

To help make up for that disappointment my WPL D12 arrived on Friday :) Brings a smile to my face everytime I give it a little run around the front room. Even Mrs. Jon likes it! It seems I've missed a trick - put lights on something and it's an instant winner with her!! :lol:

As the Durga wasn't going anywhere I thought I'd have a quick look at the Astute again. I had guessed that the issue with it was the receiver, as the ESC seemed to work on on the CR-01 and yes, @Peter_B the battery was charged! <_< :P So I had another swap around and the ESC and receiver both worked fine with the CR-01, so that pointed towards the motor. That didn't make sense to me, as it would run initially and then stop, refusing to restart. So, I stripped it down (it's a LRP Grand Prix 2 btw) and noticed that where the ends of one set of windings came to the little tap and should've been soldered on, well, they weren't any more. So I gave everything a super thorough clean and soldered them back on, cleaned everything else, put it all back together and........ same thing, ran once, then refused. After a bit more pondering I realised that what was actually happening was it worked ok, it just needed a bump start and then it would keep going as long as it didn't stop completely. I asked my mate about this and he reckons it needs some new brushes, so that's my next step, unless anyone else has any ideas? If anyone could point me in the right direction for some appropriate brushes that would be awesome too ;) 

So, as it "worked" I thought I should take the Astute for a run up the road..... :( It ran, but the steering was backwards and I couldn't get it to switch over and it plowed straight into a kurb and scraped my beautiful new front bumper :( 

Distraught and heartbroken, I did the only sensible thing and decided to take my original Avante with CPR out for a run!!! Unfortunately the Technigold I had put in it didn't want to work (developing a theme here) so I swapped it out for a spare Technigold I had (you know, as you do :P ) and whoop whoop!! I must confess I did only take it around the garden as there wasn't anything hard to hit but it was a lovely way to end the day.  I'm still having a panic about the front bumper on the Astute though, so I'm just about to order a replacement ;) 

• Like 2

Glad the day ended on a good note @jonboy1! I was starting to think you were going to put all your cars back on the shelf!

That WPL D12 sounds like a winner! I wish I could get Mrs BC on board with RC a bit more. The boy got really excited on Friday that the car I was working on had a winch, to the point where he had to share this with Mummy. Which prompted the inevitable 'just how many cars do you have..?' question. I need to finish her M03 Mini  (tribute to her first car) and win her over....

• Like 3

Well, I THOUGHT I was done with the M02 chassis last time, but it turns out there were 2 whole hours of enjoyment left in it before I could consider it complete! I never thought building an M02 would be as fun as it has been. It must be something about hunting for - and eventually finding - vintage hop ups (aluminum steering set, stabilizer bar, bushing set), mixing it up with a little modern tech here and there (hex screws, YR dampers, antenna-less receiver, aluminum CVDs, clamping hexes, etc), and making this build come out better than it was originally designed to be. Anyways, on to a couple of pics:

IMG-20200929-004430.jpg

IMG-20200929-004443.jpg

IMG-20200929-001342.jpg

All that's left now is a single turnbuckle steering rod and the bodywork.

• Like 8

Discovered that the front wheel camber in one of my Javelins was a bit goofy. Not only was it off relative to factory settings, the left and right wheels were off relative to one another. Odd, because that buggy always drove fairly well.

Since I would have to take the camber rods out, I replaced the non-adjustable rods with a handy dandy Kyosho titanium rod, which will have the side benefit of making alignment adjustment much easier.

• Like 2

Finally got around to finishing the Monster Beetle that I started back at the beginning of the summer.  This is my first time building this style of chassy and I hated it.  I like building my Hornet, Lunchbox,  and Wild Willy 2, but I hated every moment of building this kit.  Granted those kits I just mentioned are easier to build, this one was a chore to do and even a bigger chore to get the motivation to go down to the workbench to finish it....and I've build a few Losi and Associated kits that were way more complex but had clear instructions.  The instructions for the MB are to vague in some steps.  The gearbox assembly was a pain, mounting the motor was a pain in the *** and I cant seem to tell if the gear mesh of the pinion is ok or not.  The suspention leaves a lot to be desired.  The fit and finish of some of the parts left a lot to be desired.  Glad this is done and over with.  Overall it came out ok and I like the look of it.  Throwing this one on the shelf to get started on my Xray T4 2020.  Looking forward to joining the vintage trans am class at my local track.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed2.jpg

unnamed3.jpg

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Ministrone said:

Today I finally repaired my Holiday buggy’s broken shock tower and added some bling wheels B)

E5083A18-AC1A-41C4-83DF-FD74718FE83F.jpeg

Nice wheels!  Is that the Carson's?

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 11:54 AM, jonboy1 said:

I'm still not having any joy getting a response out of the seller I got the (wrong) faulty Toro ESC  - all they've done is offer to reimburse the difference between the alloy one I paid for and the plastic one they sent.

If all they are willing to do is reimburse the difference, then effectively they've sold you a product you didn't want or ask for. Which isn't reasonable. It might be worth, again politely, pointing this out.

17 minutes ago, Fuijo said:

If all they are willing to do is reimburse the difference, then effectively they've sold you a product you didn't want or ask for. Which isn't reasonable. It might be worth, again politely, pointing this out.

I agree - thankfully ebay intervened this morning and gave me a full refund, so I can buy the proper one from somewhere else :) 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Glad the day ended on a good note @jonboy1! I was starting to think you were going to put all your cars back on the shelf!

That WPL D12 sounds like a winner! I wish I could get Mrs BC on board with RC a bit more. The boy got really excited on Friday that the car I was working on had a winch, to the point where he had to share this with Mummy. Which prompted the inevitable 'just how many cars do you have..?' question. I need to finish her M03 Mini  (tribute to her first car) and win her over....

I ordered a new ESC for the Durga today as ebay refunded me, so that one will be back one the road soon hopefully. :) I can't promise the Astute won't stay on the shelf, but it did look fantastic outdoors and running shortly before impacting the kurb :P

So I think a sure fire way to win over Mrs. BC would be to fit the tribute Mini with lights - and if she asks that question again, try retorting with "and just how many handbags/shoes do you have?" Mrs. Jon usually has to retreat when I use that one on her ;) 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MadInventor said:

Cleaned up a midnight pumpkin chrome edition, re-assembled, and put it in the sales thread.

Ah - subtle ad placement .. lol :lol:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Test fit...

U8jeGgch.jpg

It looks like a happy puppy - "ruff ruff" 

Love that added rack. 

• Haha 1