Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

46 minutes ago, Mirrorman said:

Ah - subtle ad placement .. lol :lol:

At least I didn't add pictures as well ;)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Flare65 said:

Finally got around to finishing the Monster Beetle that I started back at the beginning of the summer.  This is my first time building this style of chassy and I hated it.  I like building my Hornet, Lunchbox,  and Wild Willy 2, but I hated every moment of building this kit.  Granted those kits I just mentioned are easier to build, this one was a chore to do and even a bigger chore to get the motivation to go down to the workbench to finish it....and I've build a few Losi and Associated kits that were way more complex but had clear instructions.  The instructions for the MB are to vague in some steps.  The gearbox assembly was a pain, mounting the motor was a pain in the *** and I cant seem to tell if the gear mesh of the pinion is ok or not.  The suspention leaves a lot to be desired.  The fit and finish of some of the parts left a lot to be desired.  Glad this is done and over with.  Overall it came out ok and I like the look of it.  Throwing this one on the shelf to get started on my Xray T4 2020.  Looking forward to joining the vintage trans am class at my local track.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed2.jpg

unnamed3.jpg

That's quite sad that you didn't enjoy the build! I thought it was pretty straight forward and easy build so much so I bought another one if you think the monster beetle is a chore have a go at the schumacher cat xls! You done a brilliant job of it looks cool👍

20190901_125752.jpg

• Like 6

Thank you.  Overall I think it did come out OK.  Still have not run it yet.  There are a few minor things that Tamiya could have done to improve the kit in my opinion.  Still puzzled why they didn't include a rear window and why no option for clear sunroof instead of filling in a hole with the same plastic that could have been molded with the body shell.  The kit just felt like a chore and wasn't fun like the others that I built.

1 hour ago, Flare65 said:

Thank you.  Overall I think it did come out OK.  Still have not run it yet.  There are a few minor things that Tamiya could have done to improve the kit in my opinion.  Still puzzled why they didn't include a rear window and why no option for clear sunroof instead of filling in a hole with the same plastic that could have been molded with the body shell.  The kit just felt like a chore and wasn't fun like the others that I built.

As with most (if not all) of the Tamiya re-released kits, I think the joy lies in the nostalgia for those who want to relive the experience of building a classic model.  Unfortunately, not everyone shares in the nostalgic sentiment.  I second the comment above that you did a great job with the build.  I substituted some plastic mesh for a rear window and just glued the sunroof in place myself.  Consider that Tamiya didn't bother to replace known issues (transmission.. bump steer, offset steering servo) with updated designs so it can be expected that they wouldn't throw in any extra cosmetic features either.

• Like 1

All I have done today is put my brand new 'Candy Hopper' kit under the stairs still in her box....😟 as it's not my birthday yet 😤....orders from the gaffer 

IMG_20200929_135951.jpg

11 minutes ago, Bennett Ironman said:

All I have done today is put my brand new 'Candy Hopper' kit under the stairs still in her box....😟 as it's not my birthday yet 😤....orders from the gaffer 

Are you a man or a mouse???!!! You stand up man and tell her who's boss!! And right after you've done that, go and make her a cup of tea and give her a foot rub. ;) 

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Killajb said:

As with most (if not all) of the Tamiya re-released kits, I think the joy lies in the nostalgia for those who want to relive the experience of building a classic model.  Unfortunately, not everyone shares in the nostalgic sentiment.  I second the comment above that you did a great job with the build.  I substituted some plastic mesh for a rear window and just glued the sunroof in place myself.  Consider that Tamiya didn't bother to replace known issues (transmission.. bump steer, offset steering servo) with updated designs so it can be expected that they wouldn't throw in any extra cosmetic features either.

Yeah 100% nostalgia for me I don't mind admitting it so I'm not really bothered about how it performs, back on its original release I was going to Beattie's to get the blackfoot with my mother (God rest her soul) after saving for what seemed like an eternity! When I got there the poster on the door had a picture of the monster beetle and "in stock now" (remember this was way before the internet and magazines are a month behind so it was the first I seen of it) long story short I was the owner of a white body monster beetle😁 I understand why the body has no back window on the re-release because of budget reasons using the same molding for all the beetle kits probably keeps the price down quite a bit?

• Like 1

Finally received the GPM wheelie bar for the Lunchbox, which I ordered on the 10th of April (so a week or 2 shy of 6 months ago!). To be fair, they have been in contact with me due to HK's postal services not shipping to Australia. You can see all that was left of the stock piece!! I took it out for a quick test run, then did some crawling with my Kyosho. (the second photo is over-exposed because otherwise it was all just black and more black)

1103017511_CameraUploads9.thumb.jpg.6ee2fccd431ef24ea0449c6dca9de35c.jpg

• Like 2

just finish the TC-01, had a dualsky brushless 2in1 - save space for ESC.

also installed the eagle racing F1 blinker, radiolink gyro.

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-30 at 7.37.49 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-30 at 7.37.50 PM (1).jpeg

• Like 11

I had a heart attack 3 weeks ago even though im fit & healthy! Dam family genetics! Thankfully the NHS were amazing & saved my life. So now I am stented & on the mend I have treated myself to a new release Hornet.

• Like 19

27 minutes ago, AndyjcClod said:

I had a heart attack 3 weeks ago even though im fit & healthy! Dam family genetics! Thankfully the NHS were amazing & saved my life. So now I am stented & on the mend I have treated myself to a new release Hornet.

Good to hear that you are fine again. Stay safe and have fun with the Hornet.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AndyjcClod said:

Glad you’re still with us! Buy everything & enjoy it, just in case!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CoolHands said:

Glad you’re still with us! Buy everything & enjoy it, just in case!

Carpe Diem

On 9/25/2020 at 10:26 PM, mman2005 said:

Hope you kept the paints. Will come in handy 😉 I do enjoy a bit of 40k painting every now and then. Never played but like the models. I recently got into the speed freeks and finished painting it a few weeks back.

20200805_121430

Nice work! I've had enough painting 40k, just takes up too much time. Still got 10k points of stuff to sell, gonna take a lot of bubble wrap to pack that lot lol.

• Like 1

I was bored, so I swapped out all the top screws of my TB04R with titanium-coated 12.9 steel screws. How does it look?

IMG_20200930_221630__01.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Leethal Driver said:

Nice work! I've had enough painting 40k, just takes up too much time. Still got 10k points of stuff to sell, gonna take a lot of bubble wrap to pack that lot lol.

LOL, so true, I have at least 2K points worth of Death Guard still to paint (out of a total 6K army) and my daughters have similar for each of their main 40K armies (Space Marines, Knights and Tau) AND they have now been collecting the latest Mortal Realms magazine and have pretty much all of that to paint too! It is a job for the winter evenings when we are stuck inside. 

We have played quite a few games of warhammer this year, both AOS and 40K and even carried the gaming table outdoors under the gazebo in the hot spell to play out there but painting is quite low on our priority list.... even though I actually enjoy it. I love painting the single character figures and can happily spend a week doing one figure BUT I tend to overwhelm myself if I buy a large number of horde units - it gets demoralising and I do something else instead!

Far better to enjoy RC cars in the summer months :D

6 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I was bored, so I swapped out all the top screws of my TB04R with titanium-coated 12.9 steel screws. How does it look?

IMG_20200930_221630__01.jpg

Honestly, if it were mine, I'd put the blue screws to match the turnbuckles and other blue bits. But I'd take that TB-04R anytime. :D

• Like 1

Had some good RC moments yesterday and today after work. First I did some planning ahead for the Terra Scorcher build that I hope to start soon, then I finally got around to fitting the new FlySky receivers in the Manta Ray and Big Boss, so I got them both out for a run in the autumn foliage.

It felt good to thrash through the falling leaves! The colours were truly stunning

20200930-005107.jpg

20200930-224736.jpg

20200930-005843.jpg

20200930-225159.jpg

20200927-222809.jpg

20200930-221352.jpg

20200930-230115.jpg

20200930-205618.jpg

20200930-230145.jpg

20200927-222050.jpg

20200930-225249.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Nicadraus said:

Honestly, if it were mine, I'd put the blue screws to match the turnbuckles and other blue bits. But I'd take that TB-04R anytime. :D

I hear you, but I was going for the blue and gold theme, since the ballasts shine like nobody's business and there are no other gold elements in the chassis.

Thanks for the feedback though 😊

Electrics and a new Sports Tuned motor installed in the M07.  A new silver Sports Tuned instead of the old traditional black.  Booo!

Using a TBLE-02S instead of the Hobbywing 1060 I had last time.  I remember now why I liked the compact 1060 in there previously.  The vertical fitment looks nice at least.  I put it too far back into the chassis to easily reach the button on the ESC but I shouldn't have to use it often.

Wires will need a proper tidy up as well.  I really should start looking at learning how to solder.

GHPjGPI.jpg

I drilled out and trimmed up the switch mount.

pBU107R.jpg

• Like 4

Feeling quite pleased with myself, I haven’t bought a car or kit for 4 months which is very healthy, enjoying what I have when time allows.

Paid myself yesterday so I have my self imposed monthly Tamiya allowance, which will either be spent on the Konghead or more likely the Honda City Turbo.

Sitting on the fence with the thought of selling my Wild  One as they are regularly fetching decent prices, not convinced just pondering 👍

Just have the feeling I’d like to reduce the herd by 2 back down to 10.

But this is my 4th WO, I sell one and then buy a replacement 😳 a few months later. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Leethal Driver said:

:lol: a lot of bubble wrap. That's part of the reason why I've never been interested in playing. By not playing I get to paint because I want to and select whichever models I want, rather than painting because I have to. Good luck with the selling 👍 

Road trip past Stonehenge to visit @MadInventor today to buy his Jugg 2, the bonus was meeting a another TC member & his lady and spending a few hours chin wagging. I got to see his collection including the famous War Rig ‘in the metal’ so to speak :D 

Back in my home town by 3pm for the school run = with my prize!

50404927451_131dab8fd7_b.jpg

• Like 17