Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Added some bespoke stickers on to the knackered old Avante2001 basher shell, albeit freshly re-painted on the outside in fluorescent craft spray 

Although it has just been completely rebuilt onto a new carbon chassis, this is a basher/runner/racer so perfection is not required for the shell!

Also fitted a temporary shock tower and some bodged together shocks (waiting for the correct carbon tower and steering plates to arrive) to allow me to test drive the car tonight after I fit the new ESC.

The bright yellow was chosen so I could see the car over 60 feet away ready for the next round of postal racing. :D

avante2001_basher(3).jpg

• Like 17

Finished off putting the electrics in my topforce not sure what its going to go like with the stock type T motor never seen one run in a buggy?

20201001_172253.jpg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, J@mes said:

Road trip past Stonehenge to visit @MadInventor today to buy his Jugg 2, the bonus was meeting a another TC member & his lady and spending a few hours chin wagging. I got to see his collection including the famous War Rig ‘in the metal’ so to speak :D 

Back in my home town by 3pm for the school run = with my prize!

50404927451_131dab8fd7_b.jpg

I can see the happy grin on your face from the other side of the planet 👍🏻
Very nice. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Added some bespoke stickers on to the knackered old Avante2001 basher shell, albeit freshly re-painted on the outside in fluorescent craft spray 

Although it has just been completely rebuilt onto a new carbon chassis, this is a basher/runner/racer so perfection is not required for the shell!

Also fitted a temporary shock tower and some bodged together shocks (waiting for the correct carbon tower and steering plates to arrive) to allow me to test drive the car tonight after I fit the new ESC.

The bright yellow was chosen so I could see the car over 60 feet away ready for the next round of postal racing. :D

avante2001_basher(3).jpg

Looks like the postal racing just got serious 🧐 😉...

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2020 at 1:21 PM, Flare65 said:

Thank you.  Overall I think it did come out OK.  Still have not run it yet.  There are a few minor things that Tamiya could have done to improve the kit in my opinion.  Still puzzled why they didn't include a rear window and why no option for clear sunroof instead of filling in a hole with the same plastic that could have been molded with the body shell.  The kit just felt like a chore and wasn't fun like the others that I built.

I think your MB is fabulous. Great colour for the bug.

Tamiya used the clear parts from the Sand Scorcher re-re , which has no rear window. The original MB did have a rear window.   

I think the sunroof is supposed to be an optional thing - open or closed. 

The stainless steel side trays and 3D printed inner fenders came today. Installed them too.

uNFKsWfh.jpg

qhCm0Tqh.jpg

Tl1RaiHh.jpg

yq17upKh.jpg

5tduZOKh.jpg

ukhYt2hh.jpg

FTHTBjjh.jpg

• Like 6

22 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Quick, dirty session:

31F02E3F-506D-47C0-B10F-8D6063D9308F.jpg

Love the look of that!

• Like 1

Another session tonight, more grass and rain:

CA3E8EEA-D632-4A5A-962E-931A9CDCC932.jpg

I think the Tamiya gods have tired of my dalliances with other makes:

FC371434-B924-465C-AC6D-3DC1D180C425.jpg

Pretty sure a spur gear shouldn’t look like that.

Handily it seems when I bought this kit years ago I had some different gearing in mind.

211631DE-395B-4ED8-A35D-9CF452436059.jpg

Spare metal spur, however the pads aren’t recoverable so I’ll need to order some of those.

• Like 2

Not a very productive day today. I took my time scoring/snapping to cut out the M02L Boxster body; it was quite easy when I tried it this time with a fresh blade in my hobbyknife. Apparently that makes all the difference. I also put some finishing touches on the TB04R before I start on the body of that, which I'm still dreading, but doing the Boxster body so easily gave me some much-needed confidence in my abilities.

IMG-20201002-232900.jpg

IMG-20201003-001022.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

A bit of Postal Race Prep this morning 😁

Wish I could say the same but sadly been at work all day and then it looks like weekend here is going to be a washout. 

I had a pretty frustrating day and this reads more like 'what didn't you do today'.....

• I had some paint delivered but the matching decals and main colour paint for that shell haven't arrived so first TBG shell is washed and now gathering dust 
  • The decals arrived for the second shell but the paint to go with them has not arrived so I didn't bother even unwrapping that shell
  • The new rubber discs & cones I ordered for the postal racing still haven't turned up
  • I went to fit the old FRP steering plate back on the Avante2001 to get some lap practise in but realised I gave the plate to a friend to use as a template to cut a carbon one

I did however manage (with the help of the two youngest mudlets) to get middle mudlets damned train layout finally upstairs and out of my dining room so the dining room can return to its proper use, for building/painting warhammer and repairing RC cars,  and the kitchen can be cleared of RC cars and be returned to a warhammer gaming room. 

Oh and to get the layout up the stairwell we had to take off the door, this is a 1857 ledge and braced thing made of some wood that is as heavy as lead and hasn't been removed for 20 years and took three of us to manhandle off and back on again. It needed jemmys to lift the **** thing up to re-align the hinges. After that we all sat down and couldn't be bothered doing anything else.... :o

• Like 3

just seeing what SupraChrgd82 is up to, looks as though he's been busy.

9 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Built and wired

111C9070-FACF-4375-992F-50885F3D4CAD.jpeg

That was fast. Didn't you get this just a couple of days ago?

15 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Wheels back on the wagon

F082937D-E17E-415F-BF85-8B4D2B1C38C8.jpg

I love that body. What is it and what’s it’s wheelbase. It looks fantastic 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

I love that body. What is it and what’s it’s wheelbase. It looks fantastic 

It is commonly known as a ‘China JK’ and has a wheelbase of 275mm. There is also a 4dr 313mm wheelbase version. They are often sold under the Injora brand but there are loads of clones. It comes with a hard top, rear seats and there are loads of 3D printed goodies for them on the market - tube doors, roll cage, etc.

You can shorten an SCX10ii but mine sits on a GCM Skeleton chassis. Not that common these days and comp crawlers prefer a longer wheelbase and lower COG but I got the body for about £25 when exchange rates were better and the  chassis was second hand. I have been steadily working on it for a year!

I have done a thread for it but not on here due to a lack of Tamiya parts

https://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/topic/236506-badcrumble’s-1st-scaler-basic-gcm-jk-jeep/

There are lots of build threads on SBG and the crawler forums but they are all pretty old now.

My thread certainly shows some of the pitfalls!

EDIT: the 313mm option is the easier route parts wise but if you want to keep the interior I reckon you would need a forward motor conversion. The good thing about the Skeleton is that it was designed for this body.

• Like 1

I got up this morning and put the finishing touches on the latest restoration.

This is my 58018 Ralt Hart. I decided to go with the more uncommon livery of Rad Dougal. I purchased some parts, and they came with an original Rad Dougal helmet sticker. :)

The Honda F2 is up next.

J

spacer.png

• Like 10

Ordered a Flash Racing 17.5 brushless motor for the upcoming TS build. Crossing my fingers it will be the right color (asked the seller just to be sure and he confirmed, but you never know).

Also ordered a new soldering iron kit. It was time I finally did that, as mine looks like little more than an iron claw by now.

Told to myself these will be my last RC purchases for a while, at least until I'm done building the new kit...we'll see :ph34r:

• Like 3

Did a lot of the hard bits on my new shell, namely cutting, positioning, body post reaming and mask planning. 

2020-10-03_03-07-13

Put the window masks on then traced out the paper copies of the big rapidfit decals and prit sticked them to the outside. I need to run the blue/yellow mask right behind this sticker, in line with the jaws of the spanner, then across the A pillar. I'll do the tape just before I am ready to paint. Should be fairly straightforward, but the position was quite critical, hence the mock up. I have PS6 yellow for the front and most of a can of PS39 Trans Blue for the rear, with white to back it. Any thoughts on putting down the yellow or blue first? Was thinking yellow first, but i think either way i need to back the first colour with white before removing any masks to stop any bleed. 

• Like 8

@ThunderDragonCy generally speaking, I think it makes sense to spray the darker colour first in order to limit and manage any bleed. It seems that darker colours bleed more easily through lighter ones than vice versa.

That being said, it also depends on your colour scheme as it might be easier to do one before the other depending on where they go on the shell.

Backing with white before proceeding with the next colour sounds like a good idea.

• Like 1