Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After accidentally ruining my scale garage I started work on a replacement. This time, slightly smaller than the previous 4ft wide version. 

20201005_213625.jpg

• Like 8

Serviced, fitted new bearings, re-greased, fitted new electronics and motors (or motor brushes) and new pinion/gearing to suit high speed tarmac to all our buggies that will attempt the postal racing round 2 this weekend and completed new GPS speed tests

From left to right:

• Thundershot + hop up wing, 540 motor + 15T pinion, 7.2v NiCd, Futaba 230CR ESC, mini pins - 16mph (youngest mudlet)
  • Vanquish, Dyna Run Super Touring + 19T pinion, 7.2v NiMh, Hobbywing 1060 ESC, large spikes- 25mph (mine)
  • Terra Scorcher, Reedy 19T spec + 15T pinion, 7.2v NiCd, Modelsport Sniper ESC, mini pin tyres  -  26mph (middle mudlet)
  • Avante2001, full carbon, Dyna Run Super Touring + 19T pinion, 2S LiPo, Hobbywing 1060 ESC, large spikes - 27mph (mine)
  • Thundershot (Terra Scorcher spec), Reedy 19T spec + 15T pinion, 8.4v Sanyo NiCd, Novak Rooster ESC, mini pins - 28mph (mine)

If previous round is anything to go by, the fastest car is not necessarily the winning car....... :rolleyes:

postal_race_round2.jpg

• Like 11

4 hours ago, toyolien said:

After accidentally ruining my scale garage I started work on a replacement. This time, slightly smaller than the previous 4ft wide version. 

20201005_213625.jpg

Build thread would be great on this . How too and what you did :D ... For us foke that don't know how :lol: .. If you could of course

• Like 3

Had some time between coats of paint on our Lemons car boosters (we are running a 1995 Toyota Levin in a 24hour race and dressing it up to look like the Delorean from Back to the Future so these 'boosters' are mk2) so thought I'd swap out the plastic suspension mounts on the FF04 (Whats that all about then? were Tamiya thinking supplying a kit like the FF04 Evo with plastic suspension mounts?!) for the alloy ones. Rcmart have a sale on Yeah Racing so it was cheap to do.

What a mission!

I forgot about the little ball end things, luckily I had some spares from my TA07. Anyone know if the low friction ones are worth the money? In any event, I probably could've added them to the order but didn't think so now they aren't an optuon given the months of covid shipping.

Had to take the front end apart to fit the very front one. Lost 2 NN20 washers, not sure that all of them made it where they should be but the bumper is fine. Luckily the kit comes with 6 NN20's and only 'needs' 3. Turns out mine needs 5.

The rear was easy. Every RC job should be like this. It went from black plastic to blue bling and was easy. In this case the blue bling actually makes a massive difference (not when sitting on the shelf, but it would need shimming after the first race day without the blue bling) but it does look nice too.

So I went for 1XC for the front which is slightly wider than stock, and kit 1XD FF and 1A FR on the rear no no change there. Running 21.5T blinky I shouldn't need the extra width.

I still need to make the battery strap for this car, then start a build thread for the racing bit.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, matman said:

Build thread would be great on this . How too and what you did :D ... For us foke that don't know how :lol: .. If you could of course

I was thinking the same thing!

• Like 3

@matman @Badcrumble I'm taking pics as I go so there will be a build thread when I've got a little more done. This stage is slow going waiting for glue/paint to dry etc... 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I paid for.a WW2  project, it  looks a bit rough but hopefully at £60 delivered I don’t think I can go too far wrong 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toyolien said:

@matman @Badcrumble I'm taking pics as I go so there will be a build thread when I've got a little more done. This stage is slow going waiting for glue/paint to dry etc... 👍

That'd be awesome. I've thought about doing one, they look awesome for photos and perhaps even tinkering. No idea where to start though with wall details etc. I've seen some kit manufactures are including them on the reverse of their boxes now :D

• Like 1

Been looking for a certain pinion everywhere in the closets and boxes for days.... Only to now realise that it's mounted in the gearbox of Frankenstein-Big Bear. Doooh! :lol:

• Haha 5

The fall colors were quite stunning today, so I thought I'd take a few pictures of some cars during my break. By the time I went out to do it the light changed, and eventually they tuned out a bit gloomy :mellow: 

Still, hope you'll enjoy the vintage tandem parading through the Autumn leaves 🍁🍁🍁

20201005-192043.jpg

20201006-091045.jpg

Screenshot-20201005-193616-Gallery.jpg

20201005-194033.jpg

20201005-215510.jpg

20201005-192550.jpg

20201005-220004.jpg

• Like 18

14 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Had some time between coats of paint on our Lemons car boosters (we are running a 1995 Toyota Levin in a 24hour race and dressing it up to look like the Delorean from Back to the Future so these 'boosters' are mk2) so thought I'd swap out the plastic suspension mounts on the FF04 (Whats that all about then? were Tamiya thinking supplying a kit like the FF04 Evo with plastic suspension mounts?!) for the alloy ones. Rcmart have a sale on Yeah Racing so it was cheap to do.

What a mission!

I forgot about the little ball end things, luckily I had some spares from my TA07. Anyone know if the low friction ones are worth the money? In any event, I probably could've added them to the order but didn't think so now they aren't an optuon given the months of covid shipping.

Had to take the front end apart to fit the very front one. Lost 2 NN20 washers, not sure that all of them made it where they should be but the bumper is fine. Luckily the kit comes with 6 NN20's and only 'needs' 3. Turns out mine needs 5.

The rear was easy. Every RC job should be like this. It went from black plastic to blue bling and was easy. In this case the blue bling actually makes a massive difference (not when sitting on the shelf, but it would need shimming after the first race day without the blue bling) but it does look nice too.

So I went for 1XC for the front which is slightly wider than stock, and kit 1XD FF and 1A FR on the rear no no change there. Running 21.5T blinky I shouldn't need the extra width.

I still need to make the battery strap for this car, then start a build thread for the racing bit.

Good to hear that you got the aluminium suspension mounts to complete the build. Looking forward to the build thread Jon. 🙂

• Like 1

Beautiful shots and kits @Ferruz! I envy that RC10. It was a kit that got a lot of drooling back in the 80s (and up to now). The JPS theme you did goes very well. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Took a dremel to the new carbon decks on the Avante2001 (elongated battery clip holes and move deck post forwards) and got an Absima 5000mah 45C 2S LiPo square section hard case pack installed :D

avante2001_lipo (1).jpg

• Like 4

purists, rivet counters and Kyosho collectors look away now.....

Sanded down, Halfords plastic primed and sprayed an old set of Kyosho grey plastic wheels with Halfords chrome paint. These will be fitted with the control tarmac tyres for use on all five of our buggies competing in postal racing round 2 so we avoid arguments (about she has better tyres, she has better wheels, her black wheels are faster than my white ones, etc, etc). I'm a sucker for chrome wheels....

kyosho_wheels.jpg

kyosho_wheels2.jpg

• Like 5

I finally got the steering for the M02L Boxster completed, so I took it for a tiny test run in my living room. It's quite spritely with a torque-tuned and 20t pinion! For those of you who are faced with this issue, replacing the 2mm bent rod with a 3mm rod with ends goes like this: 

Replace the tiny ball end on the steering rack end with a normal 5mm ball end

Get a 72mm rod (or turnbuckle), and attach low-friction Tamiya ball ends

Turn the steering servo around 180 degrees to pull it slightly closer to the front

And voila:

IMG-20201007-013054.jpg

Also, I found 4 23mm screw pins in the M02L screw bags! I remembered that I used circlip pins instead because, you know, it's a classy M02L lol. So I was able to progress with my TT02 bits-a-build. I had a crazy amount of hopups I wasn't using, so I'm putting them in this. TT02 aluminum CVDs, aluminum prop shaft, TT01 one-way front diff, YR titanium screws, YR steering setup, and an unused set of TT02S CVA dampers (I used TRF dampers for the TT02S) which I spent around an hour building. Kinda jacked for a bits-a-build LOL. Got this far; all that's left are electrics really:

IMG-20201007-032838.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeadMeat666 said:

IMG-20201007-013054.jpg

That looks fantastic! Are some the blue aluminum bits in the tubs going on it? What wheel/tire combo is it?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

That looks fantastic! Are some the blue aluminum bits in the tubs going on it? What wheel/tire combo is it?

Thank you!

Those blue bits in the tubs are for other upcoming projects; this one already has all the blue it's gonna get; I'm keeping it understated.

The wheels are Tamiya 2-piece mesh standard and wide, with super grip radials and wide super grip radials on them. You can get a better look if you scroll to my previous entry in this same thread.

I undid some of my Tamiya control management by purchasing a shelf Queen M06 last night 😳

Built but unused with a not so brilliantly painted RX-7 body. 

Enthused by M chassis chatter on TC  I thought it was time to buy something affordable to cut my teeth on 👍.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Grumpy pants said:

Enthused by M chassis chatter on TC  I thought it was time to buy something affordable to cut my teeth on 👍.

Its dangerous when there is a lot of chat about a chassis type,  I have an FF chassis for that same reason.  And some IIPA's...

Finally made the battery strap for the FF04 but its 8.45pm and cold in my garage so I haven't drilled the holes in it or finished installing the battery posts.  Will get there.  We are racing in NZ again so I will need to sort it out soon, I need to run it at least once to justify the purchase right?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Its dangerous when there is a lot of chat about a chassis type,  I have an FF chassis for that same reason.  And some IIPA's...

Finally made the battery strap for the FF04 but its 8.45pm and cold in my garage so I haven't drilled the holes in it or finished installing the battery posts.  Will get there.  We are racing in NZ again so I will need to sort it out soon, I need to run it at least once to justify the purchase right?

I’m sure your right JG, in my minds eye I’d like an FF03 and an XV01, then I feel like I have road/rally covered by trying to be selective as opposed to my usual obsessive over thinking 😂

What doe help is I like the motor to be in the right place for the model, apart from a few exceptions- so that helps keep the numbers down.

The real saving grace is lack of time though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grumpy pants said:

What does help is I like the motor to be in the right place for the model, apart from a few exceptions- so that helps keep the numbers down.

THIS!!!

I hadn't realized how much I care about the motor+drivetrain being "right" for the model until I went through my cars and saw the logic of what I'm going for:

I have an M02, which is a Porsche Boxster: This is rightly a rear/mid engine RWD. Check!

I have an M08, which I am getting a Ferrari Dino body for: Same as above, and is proper. Check!

I have a bits-a-build TT02 that I'm going to slap a Chinese prepainted/precut Lambo body onto: rear/mid engine 4wd. Check!

The TB04R has an Audi R8 LMS body: rear/mid engine 4wd. Check!

Golf body on my M07, which is front engine FWD. Check!

XV01, which has a body that will be kept a total secret for now, but the engine placement and driven wheels do check out to be proper.

The TT02S is currently without a body, but I now know what my subconscious will tell me to look for lol.

Very interesting, thanks for pointing that out!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ferruz said:

The fall colors were quite stunning today, so I thought I'd take a few pictures of some cars during my break. By the time I went out to do it the light changed, and eventually they tuned out a bit gloomy :mellow: 

Still, hope you'll enjoy the vintage tandem parading through the Autumn leaves 🍁🍁🍁

Screenshot-20201005-193616-Gallery.jpg

20201005-194033.jpg

20201005-192550.jpg

Man, you take the BEST photos :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ray_ve said:

Been looking for a certain pinion everywhere in the closets and boxes for days.... Only to now realise that it's mounted in the gearbox of Frankenstein-Big Bear. Doooh! :lol:

Couple of weeks ago I tore the garage apart looking for my other Black Sport Tuned motor. I knew one was in the Monster Beetle, but I was SURE I had bought two last year. Couldn't find it anywhere, so then tore the loft apart wondering if I'd already designated it to a future build kit box. Still no joy. An entire afternoon wasted.

Then, just as I was about to drift off to sleep that night, it hit me; it's in the TT02 Drifter, completely hidden by the heat sink. Had to get up to check (obvs, no sleeping after that revelation!). Out it came, silver ST now in the drifter, black ST now waiting for something where it is more, you know, visible :lol:

Slept like a baby.

• Haha 5

On 10/6/2020 at 12:12 AM, toyolien said:

20201005_213625.jpg

Your garage is one of my favourite things on TC, if I ever get a proper indoor hobby room (garage too cold, damp and spidery, the office is, well, my office!) then I'm definitely having a crack at one! Will be interested to see your progress on the new one for ideas to blatantly rip off inspiration 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeadMeat666 said:

THIS!!!

I hadn't realized how much I care about the motor+drivetrain being "right" for the model until I went through my cars and saw the logic of what I'm going for:

I have an M02, which is a Porsche Boxster: This is rightly a rear/mid engine RWD. Check!

I have an M08, which I am getting a Ferrari Dino body for: Same as above, and is proper. Check!

I have a bits-a-build TT02 that I'm going to slap a Chinese prepainted/precut body onto: rear/mid engine 4wd. Check!

The TB04R has an Audi R8 LMS body: rear/mid engine 4wd. Check!

Golf body on my M07, which is front engine FWD. Check!

XV01, which has a body that will be kept a total secret for now, but the engine placement and driven wheels do check out to be proper.

The TT02S is currently without a body, but I now know what my subconscious will tell me to look for lol.

Very interesting, thanks for pointing that out!

This is quality! 

I need to fess up now though about the M06 chassis...

I am going to steal @Re-Bugged Phat Mini idea and make my M06 a rear engined Z Cars inspired Mini. 

My thinking was I‘d like a Tamiya FWD Mini and a rear engined 911 but not as much as I’d like a ‘Z’ cars Mini and I can’t afford all 3 or an M08 chassis. 

The Z cars Mini was initially powered by Hayabusa and Honda type R engines from memory I think with the engine and drive train situated behind the front seats.    

https://www.zcars.org.uk/gallery/

• Like 3