Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wasted no time fitting the 3 sets of stabilisers I got from Tony's yesterday for my M05/M06/M08. 🙂

Now to fit the new gears for my motorized support legs on my box trailer, which I broke a couple of months back.

DhI8DFd.jpg

• Like 7

Woke up early so decided to take my Kyosho scorpion to a local park area. Was quite fun, though lack of reverse on the race ESC was a bit annoying in a leisure situation. 

A3918661-C695-4A0A-A9A7-9C8501D762B5.jpeg.d4c9276d1c2cbf9cf101f535851de084.jpeg

I enjoyed it so much I went back later with the Konghead, which to be fair copes a lot better when running off the path area into undergrowth, which the scorpion struggled with.

the Konghead is a great general purpose runner.

AE691401-ED6C-4534-960C-5A53B33AA909.jpeg.452ae0de0c24abf1123b7ab8006f0f0c.jpeg

• Like 10

As I had some RC time planned for this afternoon, I could choose between refurbishing my own backyard track or finally doing the homework and dig into the Postal Racing thread to learn what it is about and see if I can still hop on that train (I'm sure I'm missing out! For some reason I didn't see the thread until people starting mentioning it here, and now I feel late and intimidated LOL).

A looming massive thunderstorm made me go for the first option. Thought I'd prep the track and ask my lady to time my three runners after, so off I went.

Here's the merry gang all ready to go before cleaning up the track20201010-174337.jpg

Never felt so motivated to rake up some leaves20201010-174537.jpg

As soon as I got there, some background and pretty much constant rumble started, first far than louder: the storm was getting close. Anyway, within 20 mins we were ready to go20201010-174629.jpg

The instant I got to actually run the cars, the first menacing drops started falling. There was only time for a quick spin with each car, but still the whole thing was fun

20201010-175041.jpg

It was quite fascinating as within a few minutes it went from a pleasant, warm autumn day to a spooky dark sky with thunder and rain. too bad it wasn't captured at all in the photo, but you can still guess the weather sudden change and wind. You know the cover of Black Sabbath's first album?? Exactly that vibe and colors.

20201010-174738.jpg

Two minutes after, it was like this! You can't even see the cones in the pounding rain. So much for my track clean up -_-:rolleyes:

20201010-174832.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Quite alot:

• Spent two hours doing postal racing races with 5 buggies (over two sessions)
  • Rebuilt a hybrid bush devil/king blackfoot from scratch
  • Fitted a new motor to daughters old thundershot
  • Cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner
  • Spent ages on here responding to posts and reading new ones
  • did my weekly gas delivery and solid fuel collection in the 1:1 Land Rover

• Like 5

IMG-20201011-001257.jpg

I started my XV01 LDS + USD500 (not counting shipping!) in hopups build (I went a little nuts there, oops), but I didn't get very far. I did get further than the pic suggests though :lol:

I went to put the diffs together, just to realize that the diff fluid (30k front plus 7.5k rear) hadn't yet arrived, and I literally needed it on the first step, but I figured I'd soldier on and do that later.

I got to the installation of the counter gear, the idler gear, and put the two front gearbox halves together, just to realize that the slipper clutch requires me to change the counter gear shaft, which was all the way back in step one LOL, so I skipped that and soldiered on.

Then I got to the installation of the pulley, and I couldn't for the life of me remember where I put my aluminum pulleys, so I figured they were still in the post, but I later found them in my main toolbox. Now I have to (carefully) remove that 2.5mm c-clip without flinging it across the hall to swap the alu pulley in.

At that point I just put everything back in the box to continue next week. 

This will NOT be an easy build to follow with all the hopups to keep track of, but I suppose that's a lot of the fun.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

This will NOT be an easy build to follow with all the hopups to keep track of, but I suppose that's a lot of the fun.

Have fun! 

I've hit an issue with mine I solved with a trip to my local hobby shop today.

The slipper clutch set up uses a completely different spur gear with fewer teeth and 48p pitch :wacko: (it's borrowed off of the TRF201)

I realised late yesterday evening that my "investment" into a range of 6 different 06 module Tamiya pinions was money completely wasted.

I still can't find an FDR chart for the XV01 equipped with the 77T slipper clutch spur :(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wez-li said:

Getting these ready, which one would you take racing? B)Screenshot_20201010_211254.thumb.jpg.1a30b71796520b165ee1891df64261b7.jpg

From my (non racing) experience, take both with you. If something goes wrong with one you can carry on with the other. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, berman said:

. Now to fit the new gears for my motorized support legs on my box trailer, which I broke a couple of months back.

Sounds like it was overloaded mate, you’ll be needing the Tamiya Weigh-bridge Hop-up now then. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Sounds like it was overloaded mate, you’ll be needing the Tamiya Weigh-bridge Hop-up now then. 

😄😄

I am trying to find the part number for the tamiya 1/14 logbook also, need two... moonlighting, ya know :ph34r:

• Haha 1

Frustration.  Went over to a friend's house and brought my TRX4 to run with the Enduro Sendero I gave him recently in a trade for a treadmill.  Steering servo went out in the TRX4 no less than 30 seconds into the run.

4 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I still can't find an FDR chart for the XV01 equipped with the 77T slipper clutch spur :(

I've read from the interwebs that a 29t pinion and the 77t spur will give an FDR of 6.9, so that's what I'm starting with, if that helps. Stock setup with the 0.6 gears is closer to an FDR of 8 or so. 

Source: rctech.com

9 hours ago, Wez-li said:

Getting these ready, which one would you take racing? B)Screenshot_20201010_211254.thumb.jpg.1a30b71796520b165ee1891df64261b7.jpg

I'll be biased because I owned a TA-04R and loved it.

So TA-04 it is. :D

• Like 1

@Ferruz That's a fantastic idea. You created a track by raking those leaves and looks great! Very clever. ;)

Too bad the rain and wind ruined your instant track. :(

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Have fun! 

I've hit an issue with mine I solved with a trip to my local hobby shop today.

The slipper clutch set up uses a completely different spur gear with fewer teeth and 48p pitch :wacko: (it's borrowed off of the TRF201)

I realised late yesterday evening that my "investment" into a range of 6 different 06 module Tamiya pinions was money completely wasted.

Its the same internal ratio as the TRF201: 2.6. So, the gearing chart is tje same as the 77t chart in the back of the 201 manual. It's downloadable from Tamiya if you search trf201 manual. In my experience of this type of setup in a rally car, unless you are running crazy motor power you are going to need a smaller spur gear. The Associated B4 spurs fit. I am running a 69t spur with 31t pinion on my RR-03Ra. That's a FDR of 5.8 running a 13.5 brushless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Its the same internal ratio as the TRF201: 2.6. So, the gearing chart is tje same as the 77t chart in the back of the 201 manual. It's downloadable from Tamiya if you search trf201 manual. In my experience of this type of setup in a rally car, unless you are running crazy motor power you are going to need a smaller spur gear. The Associated B4 spurs fit. I am running a 69t spur with 31t pinion on my RR-03Ra. That's a FDR of 5.8 running a 13.5 brushless. 

Noted! I was going to run a 13.5 myself but I have a 10.5t spare, so that's going in for now. 

Like @DeadMeat666 found online, I saw the same source of information and went looking for a 48p pinion in the 25-29t range and all the hobby shop had was a 29t, so that will at least get me going for now. 

I'll look into the smaller spurs as you say. Do you need new friction pads if going down the route of a smaller spur? Strikes me that the spur isn't much bigger than the pads.

2 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Noted! I was going to run a 13.5 myself but I have a 10.5t spare, so that's going in for now. 

Like @DeadMeat666 found online, I saw the same source of information and went looking for a 48p pinion in the 25-29t range and all the hobby shop had was a 29t, so that will at least get me going for now. 

I'll look into the smaller spurs as you say. Do you need new friction pads if going down the route of a smaller spur? Strikes me that the spur isn't much bigger than the pads.

The associated spur is a direct fit. 69 is smallest though

• Thanks 1

roxCQwe.jpg

Had some time to give this lunchbox wheeled grasshopper a quick clean, and rebuild with bearings and modern electronics. ^_^

Took it for a test-drive but my 6 year old daughter quickly claimed the transmitter to drive 'her car'. :lol:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ministrone said:

It was a sunny afternoon so I took my CC01 Unimog for a walking in the countryside.

70573D7D-8797-479E-BC51-EC9A29C2A6A5.jpeg

62284702-9097-4548-BE92-0143FF319AF2.jpeg

62923C45-9150-4E21-8310-67AE7C2693A6.jpeg

Love this shape of ‘Mog, love the colour (reminds me of the old Leyton House F1 team). I have a CC01 that wishes it was this...

• Like 1