Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, CoolHands said:

tarmac is too smooth?

Probably the opposite given it’s not 1 /10 scale tarmac.. not enough surface contact.. have you tried it on a smooth floor to see it it behaves the same?

2 hours ago, CoolHands said:

Well at last it was dry outside so into the playground I excitedly went 

63194D2E-6659-4D7E-82AD-D144CB8B3FFE.jpeg.7a7e12ea2a88f669c2599a62ffd0ecda.jpeg

still no grip! I might have to silicon sealant next!

i don’t really understand it - just no grip on the rear. So doughnuts galore and pulling away have to be very gently to get going without going into a terminal spin

I did doughnuts for a while to see if it would scrub the tyres in or warm then up. It did improve a little. But not great. The tyres feel fine so not sure what’s ‘normal’ or if the tarmac is too smooth?! or something 

What motor are you running?

I find mine handles sweetly, but it is on foams and a Sport Tuned.

2018-10-17_03-17-54

5 hours ago, CoolHands said:

i don’t really understand it - just no grip on the rear. So doughnuts galore and pulling away have to be very gently to get going without going into a terminal spin

I did doughnuts for a while to see if it would scrub the tyres in or warm then up. It did improve a little. But not great. The tyres feel fine so not sure what’s ‘normal’ or if the tarmac is too smooth?! or something 

I had one before when I was teenager, my very first Tamiya. Same issue and with stock motor,  all it can do is donuts no traction at all. Not much play time and I replaced it with the Frog and WW1.  I think the road surface needs to be prepped and very clean also with modern radio you can set “traction control” limit amount of power at start of throttle.

I believe the newer model like the one TurnipJF has , which has sponge tires which I think will help a lot with traction. Maybe source a set of those to try.

Yeah some people on facebook have been helpful. Seems F1 is very sensitive! So I may be being hamfisted, as well as tarmac and tyres not being ideal. It seems full throttle is rarely touched even when racing. 

A few small activities today:

Dug out my partially completed F104 Pro II today, after the Postal F1 chatter. Wired it up, added the rear wing and did some donuts on the carpet. If nothing else I felt my donuts were very F1 realistic :D. Still the drivers head to find, and some other vanes etc to attach, but good enough to run. However, judging by the above comments on those Tyrells, I might be in for a tricky time when I try to move more than the metre I’ve done so far.

Next up, took a risk in the cold temperatures and started painting the Jeep JL body for the SCX10 III. Reasonably well with the black coverage, though some odd small spots where the paint doesn’t want to adhere. Tidying up task tomorrow I think, as I spotted at least one decent bleed.

This evening I did some fettling of the M08 body, trying to get magnetic mounts to work well. I thought I was going to have to design a set of front body mounts to get the magnet mounts low enough, but some swapping around and I think I’be achieved it. Not glued yet, going to have a 2nd look before I try that.

Finally, did the A bag for the M07:

3C83BF63-29B2-4B5C-8E68-756B9065041B.jpg

Seems an age since I’ve worked on a kit, so it was nice make some progress. Only hop ups planned is the lower shock mounts and the short TRF dampers. I seem to have put a brushless motor/esc pair to go in it, but I’m starting to reconsider that for the silver can. My postal adventures on concrete were both with silver cans, and there’s plenty driver practice to work on there rather than adding more speed.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

Seems an age since I’ve worked on a kit, so it was nice make some progress. Only hop ups planned is the lower shock mounts and the short TRF dampers. I seem to have put a brushless motor/esc pair to go in it, but I’m starting to reconsider that for the silver can. My postal adventures on concrete were both with silver cans, and there’s plenty driver practice to work on there rather than adding more speed.

Don't underestimate the M07 chassis, I took mine out for a few runs here and there with a Sport Tuned, and frankly I found it a breeze to handle; it's a capable little thing that can take power.

On a related note, it is quite a chassis to build isn't it. I REALLY enjoyed building mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In other news... slowly but surely getting there with the XV01LDS. I had the aluminum CVDs for the front so I went ahead and put them, despite knowing that I'll probably want steel DCJs down the line. They're easy to replace though....

This thing is built like a tank!

IMG-20201015-013213.jpg

IMG-20201015-020416.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, CoolHands said:

Is it geared quite low? I have found with the few F1s I've had, you can gear them quite high with a silvercan due to weight, my F104w does approx 55kph and the motor is like warm. Being geared so high makes the torque lower and less twitchy I find. You still have to lean on the throttle though, and not hammer it at low speeds.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CoolHands said:

Yeah some people on facebook have been helpful. Seems F1 is very sensitive! So I may be being hamfisted, as well as tarmac and tyres not being ideal. It seems full throttle is rarely touched even when racing. 

Have you tried new tyres? I have Pit Shimuzu softs on the rear, med front and it works pretty well. This is on a TRF102 with the narrow front too and its good. But since you're not racing have a look at whats available. I picked up some Ride R1 (I think) for next to nothing and while not as good as the PS tyres I use them at the school for running.

• Like 1

Last night I learned 3 things:

1. ESC's work 100% better when you calibrate them.
  2. If the manual says to use a 3x8mm screw, don't use a 3x10mm screw.
  3. One way slippers work 100% better when they don't have a 3x10mm screw pushing into them. :mellow:
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Got to step 23 tonight. I don't know how much further I can get until some more parts arrive though. The stabilizer bar stoppers look like they need to be quite deep in the chassis now :lol:

And I won't be able to try it out until the bullet connectors arrive for the esc wires.

I guess it's time to start working on the body :unsure:

IMG-20201016-021408.jpg

• Like 4

After 4 long years, my TT-02 Chassis finally has a Body, and that Body finally has PAINT!!! 😊💯

• Like 6

7 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Got to step 23 tonight. 

I'm at the same point with mine, and bizarrely I'm waiting on the same thing (3.5mm esc bullet connectors)! 

Only extra step I've taken is to put on my alloy wheel hexes. I just wanna play with it!!

• Haha 1

On 10/15/2020 at 9:26 AM, jupitertwo said:

The M07 is a great build, isn't it? I had great fun building mine. I have a sport-tuned motor in mine and it is plenty zippy. It's great fun to drive as well. I liked it so much I bought an M07-R as well, I haven't built it yet though

• Like 2

50493724407_b7a2e0fca6_b.jpg

More stripping down for the TLT1. Axle #2 & another battle with the grub screw that’s got more thread lock in it than on the threads. Had to toast it & dog it out with a sewing needle. Victory! 

50493568376_92e7836c8e_b.jpg

next battle is going to be stripping paint off the body, hopefully without Removing the stickers, they aren’t listed on MCI so I don’t think I can get more.

• Like 3

Mainly just getting organized today. Hobby room was getting messy and I think I’m going to need a fair amount of space to put a Truck together.

Looking through the instructions briefly, it looks as though you need a screw or nut ‘n bolt from each screw bag on each step of the way. Luckily I picked up a container with removable top tray the other day that will house open screw bags as I go along in time quite nicely. I added some more dividers from a cardboard box to give 4 more sections. The other good thing about this container is the clips for the lid are hinges too. Unclip one end and it opens like a flap without busting the other clip/hinge off.

I also managed to get some white on the Scorcher body and sketch out some ideas of where I’m going with it 👍🏻.

Pity it’s back to work tomorrow for a while as I was just getting into it. At least I’ve got a clear mental picture in my head now, so it’s much easier to pick up again, and that’s half the battle sometimes.

6074C4CD-51CC-48DC-BF86-D3A4F366F913.jpg

• Like 13

In the end my 4 year old daughter "worked" more on my rc cars than me. My Sand Rover shell now have eyes.

IMG_20201016_151109_compress50.thumb.jpg.9a7f370cd77815f798065bf7c3657c1b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

Just signed up on this forum :D

Hello & welcome! :D

3 hours ago, Aerobert said:

In the end my 4 year old daughter "worked" more on my rc cars than me. My Sand Rover shell now have eyes.

IMG_20201016_151109_compress50.thumb.jpg.9a7f370cd77815f798065bf7c3657c1b.jpg

Nice! Some Tamiyas look better with eyes. 

2020-10-16_05-25-03

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Finally finished the BTCC 2000 Mondeo i have bern working on. 

20201016_175049

20201016_175039

Cracking job 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1