Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

OK so I did end up doing something tonight... couldn't help myself lol.

Worked on the M08. Installed alloy rear hubs because I couldn't stand the look of having plastic ones in the back and alloy c-hubs in the front:

IMG-20201018-005803.jpg

I also replaced the steering bridge with the Tamiya alloy item instead; still very disappointed in the amount of slop it still has, but perhaps my perception is skewed after having seen the perfection that is the TB04R rack.

IMG-20201018-015104.jpg

Lastly, some gratuitous M- chassis undergarments for those who like it (me included!):

IMG-20201018-012137.jpg

Edit: Sorry for the relatively poor quality of photos... I really need to change my phone lol.

I really admire people who know how to make beautiful things even more beautiful. 

Many people think they're just "bling". But the fact is, they make the cars perform better and yes, looks 10x better.

By the way, your pictures are fine. So no need to change the phone yet. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Went racing. Outdoors onroad today and it was a great day. I gave the FF04 a run in practice but decided not to enter it because I had to manage 4 cars already. That car ran really well, I was surprised how easy it was to drive given that was the first run and its had minimal work on setup.

The TA07 ran well but I got talking to one of the fast guys so made some changes to the centre pulley and FDR and by the end it was amazing. A much looser belt and FDR 4.1. I had a very unfortunate incident with a barrier which got my car tangled, costing a lap. But my fast lap and average times were in the top half of a 10 car final so I'm happy with that. F1 was the same, the TRF102 is really reliable and i was clear second. 

My son ran in kids class with his B6D and the TT02 class where he got a genuine 3rd of 5, beating 2 adults so he was happy. I didn't realise how fragile those cars are, they need quite a bit of work to be reliable. Front universals and a better way to attach the front c hubs to start. 

A quiet club day which I put down to bathurst being on today, but the small ones are really relaxed and good fun

• Like 6

Working on my Traxxas TRX-4, now with hard body shell.

added mud flaps.  still deciding which engine type to put in, done with the front engine conversion.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-18 at 5.20.56 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-18 at 5.21.51 AM.jpeg

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, pininfarina said:

Working on my Traxxas TRX-4, now with hard body shell.

added mud flaps.  still deciding which engine type to put in, done with the front engine conversion.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-18 at 5.20.56 AM.jpeg

That sh*t looks real. :huh:

For a moment I thought you were showing us your 1:1 rig lol.

• Haha 1

There is always so much to like on this thread 👍

Sold my NIB Comical last night, it will be packed and sent out swiftly to the new owner. 

Something else will go up for the chop later this week, the best way for me at the moment is TC, 1 runner (Konghead) 1 on the mat (Honda City Turbo) and some shelf queens (mostly vintage).

There’s no point in having a cupboard full of kits and projects that I can’t get to for the foreseeable future. 

Awesome message from @jonboy1 with an update and pictures of my 3 speed that Jon has very kindly taken on.

Getting excited about this one coming home, it’s been in the wardrobe for 7 years and it is a replacement for the 1st Tamiya I ever owned back in 1984 😊 

• Like 5

Cut, varnished and built some shelving in my office for the touring and M chassis cars, then activated and worked out how to use my TCphotos.net account to share this pic with you!

spacer.png

So, I am back in the game in terms of imagery! 

Also had a 'drains up' honesty chat with Mrs J last night about how many more kits I have to build, which went much better than expected :) She's a diamond :wub:

At least one (probably two :ph34r:) of those shelves is going to have to get extended along the longer wall above my desk, but we'll cross that bridge some other time :lol:

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

Also had a 'drains up' honesty chat with Mrs J last night about how many more kits I have to build

I need one of those very soon. It's not easy pretending I only have 6 kits when I actually have....    well let's just say more than 6 :lol::ph34r:

• Haha 1

Mainly more battery and charger testing today while tweaking different things on the cars. The quick charge circuit on my big trusty old charger kicked the bucket last month, and I thought it was totally dead, but the meter showed that trickle still works. Unfortunately, trickle only goes up to 150mAh, which according to my calculations will take 11.5 hours to charge a 1200 pack (yes, I still use NiCds). I thought my backup wall wart was dead too, but it magically sprung back to life somehow and has become the new "quick" charger because it can do a 1200 in under 5 hours.

Most people would probably be mad at having to wait so long, but I'm just excited to be running the cars again, even moreso because it looks like I might be able to add 3 more "dead" batteries back into the rotation. One is an old Nikko 1200 stick pack that had a bad plug (now fixed), and the other two are actual Tamiya branded "packed" 1200SC hump packs from my Grasshopper and Hornet. I assumed they were all junk simply due to age, but preliminary testing last night showed that they have decently strong cells still (although a full charge will determine just how strong). One day I would like to finally get a new charger and some nice fresh batteries, but today is not that day!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Cut, varnished and built some shelving in my office for the touring and M chassis cars, then activated and worked out how to use my TCphotos.net account to share this pic with you!

spacer.png

So, I am back in the game in terms of imagery! 

Also had a 'drains up' honesty chat with Mrs J last night about how many more kits I have to build, which went much better than expected :) She's a diamond :wub:

At least one (probably two :ph34r:) of those shelves is going to have to get extended along the longer wall above my desk, but we'll cross that bridge some other time :lol:

Nice one, what brackets have you used there?

• Thanks 1

Not only today but also yesterday I've built some Beetle rear lights. Not completely finished yet but turns out okay I think.IMG_20201018_154634_compress11.thumb.jpg.c479b53634d86d12a4126177e9b37565.jpg

This afternoon I had the first run with my slightly refurbished TA03-F which was rebuild with a low budget. Turns out that the budget was maybe a little bit too low as it badly needs new tyres. It was great fun and I really need to run my cars more often. Apart from that I have to gear it down as it has a good top speed, but have some problems to accelerate out of the corners. Here's the evidence that it was outside the house...IMG_20201018_155638_compress86.thumb.jpg.e61a22e4d71d8611eb60624225279f1d.jpg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

Nice one, what brackets have you used there?

Thanks! The brackets are these cheap and cheerful numbers from B&Q

https://www.diy.com/departments/form-timber-white-pine-shelving-bracket-h-200mm-d-150mm/3663602764625_BQ.prd

The shelves are cut from 2.4m lengths of planed timber, also from the big orange shed of joy 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They look great. I would love to get my cars on shelves, the boxes they are in are oversize so my collection looks worse in the garage to Mrs BC's eyes than it really is.

There's an ongoing discussion here at the moment about a house extension. I can't see that we can fit in a room for me to work from home but Mrs BC wants to lose the garage....

Cleaned the rear diff area on my TA04 (as I might race next weekend) and also rebuilt the diff itself which gave me the opportunity to use a nifty tool I bought a while ago. As well as hold diff to help assemble, the blades of it holds the drive ups and allow you to judge / adjust the tightness of the diff easily

777BBA2B-247E-4253-B9BC-237ABD99059C.jpeg.e736d60a0cc04d8b7b3938b3d24aa667.jpeg

• Like 2

Took the Kumamonster to the beach but instead of the little 390 brushless on the 10t pinion, this time it was the 19T with a Castle 3800!

The motor got a bit toasty after 30 mins with those monster tyres and a heavy 8000mah battery pack but he certainly had some get up and go!

I think I'll be putting the little motor and 10T pinion back in before my little girl drives him around the local carparks and footpaths again :o:lol:

As an added bonus, the local Foo Fighters tribute band decided to do an impromptu gig on the promenade. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

OK so I did end up doing something tonight... couldn't help myself lol.

Top job on the M08. Have you run yours yet? I haven't, still not finished,need an esc for starters 😄

• Like 1

Just about finished the resto of the second Ford Ranger.

This one is the rarer short wheel arch version. The shell was in great shape, but i'm not happy with the chrome front panel or rear bumper, there is too much damage to the chrome, so i will find better ones.

The side decal set is a repro that i got from Canada some time ago, it was going to be imposible to find an original short arch set. I have to say though, they look and fit great, and the colour is spot on.

J

DSC_6113.JPG

DSC_6115.JPG

DSC_6117.JPG

• Like 7

2 hours ago, berman said:

Top job on the M08. Have you run yours yet? I haven't, still not finished,need an esc for starters 😄

Unless you count a quick spin in the living room to make sure everything works, no :lol:

I'm holding off on the M08 until its (proper) body arrives, but it seems to have been lost in the mail, so I'm trying to track it down. I do have an MX-5 body cut out and mounted, but it's not painted/stickered, and I plan to use it elsewhere anyway, so the wait continues...

Forgot to add what I did today:

I counted and categorized my spare screws. Well not all of them, but I started. How weird am I?

Edited by DeadMeat666
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Unless you count a quick spin in the living room to make sure everything works, no :lol:

I'm holding off on the M08 until its (proper) body arrives, but it seems to have been lost in the mail, so I'm trying to track it down. I do have an MX-5 body cut out and mounted, but it's not painted/stickered, and I plan to use it elsewhere anyway, so the wait continues...

Forgot to add what I did today:

I counted and categorized my spare screws. Well not all of them, but I started. How weird am I?

Looks like I'm doing the same just in the southern hemisphere. Mine has done a check on the carpet with a TEU101BK, but it just sits awaiting more parts and an esc, plus like you I have the MX5 body all painted up but it is the one with the pre-drilled holes, and they don't line up with the M08 body mounts, so I either have to get some 3mm carbon fibre plate, and relocate some custom mounts, or just chuck the MX5 body on the M02M, and find/purchase another body for the M08. That would certainly help with my dilemma with finding a chassis extension for the M02... 

So I feel ya 😄

• Like 2

Today I finally got the chance to bring the Manta Ray in brushless mode to a BMX track.

This track is pretty basic but very well done, at the right speed it's possible to jump the car long and high and still land it super smoothly... what a nice feeling it was :lol:

I had a blast and, despite a couple bad landings and tumbles that really made me cringe, the buggy came back home in one piece. 

Pictures are what they are, it's risky to drive and film at the same time so the best runs and jump weren't documented in order to avoid tragedies to regret afterwards!

I would have stayed all day...

As a bonus, the park is completely free, unlike some actual RC tracks in the area that would charge way too much for a simple joyride.

20201016-131603.jpg

20201014-164925.jpg

20201013-123753.gif

20201012-171011-1.gif

20201016-074223.jpg

Screenshot-20201012-215824-Video-Player.

20201014-165459.jpg

• Like 10

11 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

Took the Kumamonster to the beach but instead of the little 390 brushless on the 10t pinion, this time it was the 19T with a Castle 3800!

The motor got a bit toasty after 30 mins with those monster tyres and a heavy 8000mah battery pack but he certainly had some get up and go!

I think I'll be putting the little motor and 10T pinion back in before my little girl drives him around the local carparks and footpaths again :o:lol:

As an added bonus, the local Foo Fighters tribute band decided to do an impromptu gig on the promenade. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday.

OMG how long does it drive with the 8000mah battery? 

the largest nimh I had was 5000mah from LRP and 6600mah lipo, now I use a 5000 shorty and 5500 hardcase regular lipo. With 100-120C. Lasts longer then I am willing to drive :)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Made this beast

0NCd6V6.jpg

mpiwGOs.jpg

Where is that horn from? I have the fan just waiting for me to use it, but that horn thing looks cool...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Today I finally got the chance to bring the Manta Ray in brushless mode to a BMX track.

Great pics and GIFs! 👍 I always enjoy your driving reports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1