Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Made this beast

0NCd6V6.jpg

That's way too cool to hide it under a body shell. 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Where is that horn from? I have the fan just waiting for me to use it, but that horn thing looks cool...

On ebay, its called “Venturi” as on a carburetor.

• Like 1

Had some success rehabilitating 2 of the 3 old NiCd 1200s (The third is on the charger as I type this), which means that I had the pleasure of testing two cars yesterday!

The vintage Brat was finally feeling stronger with the repaired Nikko battery, (although its hex shafts hate the grip of dry pavement) and I also finally had a good bash with the Blaster (used to be a Blackfoot but I never had the body or tires) running one of the Tamiya hardshells, which exceeded my expectations even on a short charge (I had to pull it early to get a test run in before the rain really started last night).

It was a riot on wet pavement and I'm sure it will be even more fun in the dirt :D

blaster_101920.jpg

• Like 3

Today I rebuilt my Bigwig, which was my first Tamiya build last year. I made a few changes thinking I could make it look better, the worst of which was clear DF03 dampers, a pointlessly bling aluminium rear damper tower, and a Tamiya 10.5T brushless system which made it more fast but less fun. I also made loads of mistakes, broke a thread in the tub, and never really got the steering right which meant I undid and redid those tapping screws countless times, leaving it all a bit....loose :(

spacer.png

After a recent beach run it got a bit too much wet sand on board, so I decided to strip it, clean it and rebuild it with a new tub closer to its original kit spec.

spacer.png

I had most of a blue parts tree spare from my Boomerang damper conversion, so used the new bits for this too

spacer.png

Removed the brushless combo and put the Bigwig GT tuned in where it belongs, with a steel 15T pinion

spacer.png

I kept the universals all round, just cos!

spacer.png

I kept the aluminium prop shaft and Hot Shot prop cups as that all seems more robust than the kit coathanger / plastic cup combo, and the front aluminium uprights which have so far been rock solid. Other than that everything is back to kit spec

spacer.png

It's just over a year since I first built it, but 8 kit builds later I've learned so much...I got the steering right first time this time, it's actually pretty straightforward and I can't really understand what I got wrong first time around. I was also convinced the steering issues were due to the servo pinion not connecting with the steering rack because the servo wasn't held down well enough, so had bought some alu servo mounts with the intention of drilling holes through the tub to screw it all down. But they weren't needed, again the kit method is rock solid, and I can't see how I initially made such a mess of it!!

I guess you live and learn. Delighted to have removed my rubbish mods and got it back as it should be, and the weather's been dry enough to go out for a blast tomorrow!

spacer.png

• Like 12

11 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

OMG how long does it drive with the 8000mah battery? 

the largest nimh I had was 5000mah from LRP and 6600mah lipo, now I use a 5000 shorty and 5500 hardcase regular lipo. With 100-120C. Lasts longer then I am willing to drive :)

It depends on the motor and gearing really. It lasted a lot less with the 3800kv and monster wheels lol. But then again you spend a lot more time at max RPM on sand which has an effect on it too. Got about 30-40 minutes of heavy use at the beach.

The same battery in my Slash with the same motor and away from the beach will give me anywhere up to an hour. Usually enough to drive it from my house, down the cycle path to one of the local spots I drive, give it a thrash and get back home again. Same with my Heavy Dump Truck that has a 'finned 390" motor. I often take that out locally and it's barely down to storage voltage by the time I get gome.

At the other end of the scale, if I put two of them in series in my HBX T6 or E-Maxx they might only last 20 minutes of spirited use which is pretty crazy. :o I'm pretty sure they are packing the advertised capacity too, I usually get at or about 7000mah back into them and I dont run them very low.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

At the other end of the scale, if I put two of them in series in my HBX T6 or E-Maxx they might only last 20 minutes of spirited use which is pretty crazy. :o I'm pretty sure they are packing the advertised capacity too, I usually get at or about 7000mah back into them and I dont run them very low.

The biggest battery drainers are boats - I'll go through 2 X 6000mah 3S batteries in 5 minutes in my Spartans or Sonicwake!!

Water creates a lot of drag...

23 minutes ago, lsear2905 said:

The biggest battery drainers are boats - I'll go through 2 X 6000mah 3S batteries in 5 minutes in my Spartans or Sonicwake!!

Water creates a lot of drag...

Pictures please 👍

Packed the CGH and bought some hop ups for the HCT as the money was burning a hole in my pocket 😂    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

It depends on the motor and gearing really.

precisely, I ran a 22T kyosho mag meyhem powered Thundershot today on a 4000mah LiPo, it lasted 25 minutes off a charge. Yesterday, that same LiPo fitted to an Avante2001 with a 13T Dyna Run super touring motor lasted just 8 mins, around the exact same track on same surface in same conditions.

EDIT: And curiously the Thundershot got the faster lap times too.... :D

Sent YET another email to tamico to ask where my order has vanished to after giving it to DHL😡....must admit I'm now getting bored with the being polite because I'm just getting mugged off so the latest email was straight to the point!

• Sad 3

I got a few parts for the XV01LDS today, so I went straight to work installing them.

Started with the carbon reinforced front/rear hubs, and the extra pair of double-cardan shafts I had lying around (... no, don't ask lol). Since DCJs allow for a better steering angle, I removed the two screws on the castor blocks that limit steering travel:

IMG-20201019-231508.jpg

Then I went to work on the aluminum diff covers, and while I was in there I swapped the kit diff fluid with 7.5k in the rear and 30k in the front:

IMG-20201020-002540.jpg

IMG-20201020-011550.jpg

I was very surprised that the diffs developed noticeable slop with the aluminum covers, and both of them had the little screws contacting the side of the diff housing, which was unacceptable of course. The rear diff took 3 0.2mm shims and the front took 2 0.2mm shims, and all was well again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moffman said:

Sent YET another email to tamico to ask where my order has vanished to after giving it to DHL😡....must admit I'm now getting bored with the being polite because I'm just getting mugged off so the latest email was straight to the point!

Are you in the UK?

Ive had mostly a great service from DHL where theyve been used as the sole carrier and for shipping tins of paint etc. Unfortunately in the past (inc an order from Tamico last year) where it all went horribly horribly wrong was when DHL germany handed it over to UKmail who are part of the same business group and for me have as much succes of gettiing me my parcels as Hermes so far - ie a 100% failure rate. Its difficult to decide out them whos the worst festering pus filled polyp on the diseased turdy bum hole of humanity. Im going with Hermes at the moment - as they are currently completely failing to deliver my most recent ebay purchase which is now causing a bit of grief for the seller unfortunately as they have zero customer service facility. At least UKmail have a phyiscal depot with an overworked underpaid shadow of a human being you can pour scorn onto and they pretend to care for a few minutes before telling you the system cant find it. The whole industry could do with a shakeup and some more regulation and I would gladly pay a few extra quid for delivery to have better customer service as I do believe its too cheap in most instances.

No consolation I know but I always select DPD given the checkout option at Tamico to be certain ukmail wont be involved.

On 10/17/2020 at 7:25 PM, Nicadraus said:

I really admire people who know how to make beautiful things even more beautiful. 

Many people think they're just "bling". But the fact is, they make the cars perform better and yes, looks 10x better......

I could not agree more! Aluminum JUST for the sake of visual or egotistical enhancement is BLING. 😖 

BUT well placed, functional Aluminum Upgrades that do enhance performance - is impressive and worthwhile!  Oh, and they still look good!! 😜👍👍

23 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Made this beast

0NCd6V6.jpg

mpiwGOs.jpg

THAT is truly impressive!!! 🍷👌👏👏👏👏👏 

A Velocity Stack for a Motor Fan! It even LOOKS serious. And not only does it help smooth airflow - but the extra Alumininium dissipates MORE heat!! 👍👍  Well done. What did you use for the Venturi??

What did I do today?? THANKS to a friendly candid tip from @DeadMeat666, I FIXED something that I completely MISSED!!! 😲😖 20201019_124148-1.thumb.jpg.75c78ead4ce25aec63ebd1d9fdf992d8.jpg

I didn't know that the Right "Exhaust" Sticker was UPSIDE-DOWN!!  Fiddly AF to remove (Heat Gun helped), that's now sorted!! 😊💯  More help from Friends HERE! 

.... Actual progress was starting on the Magnet mounting, on the Body itself. IMG_20201019_094820.thumb.jpg.a752f910aff54dc177af109ba8a05605.jpg

This looks silly - but if you're pouring Epoxy in close proximity to the Rear Window -  NOT so silly... And it works! IMG_20201019_095325.thumb.jpg.c3408611cc69361d6c0a04a758fe59f0.jpg

The Magnets I got are rated N52, and are VERY strong 💪

Wax Paper DOES do a good job of preventing PERMANENTLY fixing the Body to the Chassis (!!!😲), but it still doesn't peel off of the Epoxy well - IF at all. 20201019_123307-1.thumb.jpg.46d83c1722edb7dc1aa4c7343862f802.jpg

EVEN after being careful to the point of methodical - it STILL shifted before the Epoxy cured!!!! 😖😠😠😠  Only not a catastrophe, because of HOW I made the Rear Magnet Mounts. I just fitted some Shims to one side - and now the Chassis Magnets are just as crooked!! 

But the BODY sits bang on Straight. 😜😊🍻  Also, I know it's not pretty, but some Black Paint works wonders for HIDING it! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I got a few parts for the XV01LDS today, so I went straight to work installing them.

Started with the carbon reinforced front/rear hubs, and the extra pair of double-cardan shafts I had lying around (... no, don't ask lol). Since DCJs allow for a better steering angle, I removed the two screws on the castor blocks that limit steering travel:

IMG-20201019-231508.jpg

Then I went to work on the aluminum diff covers, and while I was in there I swapped the kit diff fluid with 7.5k in the rear and 30k in the front:

IMG-20201020-011550.jpg

I was very surprised that the diffs developed noticeable slop with the aluminum covers, and both of them had the little screws contacting the side of the diff housing, which was unacceptable of course. The rear diff took 3 0.2mm shims and the front took 2 0.2mm shims, and all was well again.

Brother - that looks SAHWEET!!!  Glad you got the Diff sorted. 👍  I'm surprised too. Aluminum Housings are supposed to ELIMINATE slop - not create it!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

Pictures please 👍

IMG_0959.thumb.JPG.bcd135cd711a361ff452eabccb41b906.JPG

IMG_0924.thumb.JPG.4737586d83dbe26c6d65a5e5d1585831.JPG

1614449667_2018-12-1608_54_28.thumb.jpg.487382c96b833f5f457a58896aacb830.jpg

Photographing speedboats requires someone else to take the photos - it is not something that can be done while operating them!

On 10/9/2020 at 8:17 AM, DeadMeat666 said:

I'm actually hoping that the forward-pointing stance mine now has will help alleviate its propensity to hop onto 2 wheels, we will see when I try it out. 

The GPM wheelie bar has already been ordered a while ago and it's on the way. In red of course :lol:

I chose the Ampro gearbox brace instead of the 5th shock or fishing line mod; it's probably the most elegant solution given that it's practically invisible. It's given me no trouble at all so far.

I went with a 3D printed gearbox brace - I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I will be interested to see the improvement.

Also, I'm really hoping someone can help me out with this:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Are you in the UK?

Ive had mostly a great service from DHL where theyve been used as the sole carrier and for shipping tins of paint etc. Unfortunately in the past (inc an order from Tamico last year) where it all went horribly horribly wrong was when DHL germany handed it over to UKmail who are part of the same business group and for me have as much succes of gettiing me my parcels as Hermes so far - ie a 100% failure rate. Its difficult to decide out them whos the worst festering pus filled polyp on the diseased turdy bum hole of humanity. Im going with Hermes at the moment - as they are currently completely failing to deliver my most recent ebay purchase which is now causing a bit of grief for the seller unfortunately as they have zero customer service facility. At least UKmail have a phyiscal depot with an overworked underpaid shadow of a human being you can pour scorn onto and they pretend to care for a few minutes before telling you the system cant find it. The whole industry could do with a shakeup and some more regulation and I would gladly pay a few extra quid for delivery to have better customer service as I do believe its too cheap in most instances.

No consolation I know but I always select DPD given the checkout option at Tamico to be certain ukmail wont be involved.

Yeah I'm in the UK and like you I don't bother with Hermes I even don't bother bidding on stuff on Ebay if they use Hermes I've had to many items disappearing or damaged the worst one was an original rough rider honesty it looked like a javelin or spear had gone through it and it was just agro from that moment on for me and the seller! DPD I had something delivered and got a notification with attached photo of my packet but not my house and when you try and contact them the message you get first is the call is going to cost you £10 minimum!, But my order with tamico has gone missing in Germany it literally had gone nowhere just handed over to DHL 

Bench test of the GT Power module with the Flysky GT5 today.

Plugged everything in as per partly lost in translation diagram turned everything on and..........zippidee do da...... Nuts.....

Just green and red flashing lights on the control panel. So downloaded the app, well tried to, ‘iTunes password incorrect’ argh for f...... opted to change password, ‘Enter pin you use to unlock iPhone’......’Pin incorrect’........What the?  Deep breath, step away, put the kettle on. Try again... now phone battery is nearly dead 🙄
  Google GT Power troubleshooting on the computer, nothing on the flashing lights. 
   Stuff the tea grab an Asahi from the fridge. Watch someone plug in there GT and works straight away. 
  Right, hummmm. 
  Half a beer in and decided to unplug everything and start again from the beginning. YAY!!! something must have been amiss first time round as it’s all fine and dandy now. 👍🏻 Let there be light (and sound, gear changes etc too)
  76B0CB9D-120C-4FB2-9091-ECCE1F787096.jpg

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Beer fixed it

It definitely  helps in becoming more fluent in many languages 😉

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Carmine A said:

What did I do today?? THANKS to a friendly candid tip from @DeadMeat666, I FIXED something that I completely MISSED!!! 😲😖 20201019_124148-1.thumb.jpg.75c78ead4ce25aec63ebd1d9fdf992d8.jpg

thats a absolute beaut of a colour:wub:

• Thanks 1

Today I finally stopped procrastinating. 

Can I do a build-thread of this even though it's not Tamiya? Is that allowed?

50509968711_58e43f25d6_b.jpg

50510131887_89868d356f_b.jpg

This is PS38 Clear Blue with PS48 Anodised Aluminium backed in PS5 Black B)

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Today I finally stopped procrastinating. 

Can I do a build-thread of this even though it's not Tamiya? Is that allowed?

50509968711_58e43f25d6_b.jpg

50510131887_89868d356f_b.jpg

This is PS38 Clear Blue with PS48 Anodised Aluminium backed in PS5 Black B)

It's got tamiya paint on it! Why not👍

• Like 4

Made myself a Technigold box to go with my TD box. Not sure scale is exact but does the job

20201020_203547

• Like 6