Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@DeadMeat666 is that a body from Aplastics? If so, how is the body compared to Tamiya polycarbonate shells? I couldn't tell from their site/photos if the plastic is stiff enough but I took a gamble three weeks ago (shell is still in transit) and I'm really curious.

3 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

@DeadMeat666 is that a body from Aplastics? If so, how is the body compared to Tamiya polycarbonate shells? I couldn't tell from their site/photos if the plastic is stiff enough but I took a gamble three weeks ago (shell is still in transit) and I'm really curious.

Yes this is an Aplastics body. I took a gamble with this one myself because I couldn't believe they had an e30 touring body, which is just like the car I had in 2006 (and loved). 

I'm happy to report that the body is very well made with good detail, and quite stiff to boot. I'd say it's 1mm thickness all around; very good quality product. Better than the original Tamiya M02 Boxster body for example, which was quite thin towards the bottom.

Would definitely buy from them again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cool. Glad to hear. I also bought one because of a somewhat similar wagon/estate I have but I'm going to assume the shell/lexan isn't as good as yours because on their website photo it looks thinner and shiny.

Realised my new Absima transmitter has got a pretty unfortunate product code...

spacer.png

It's really not THAT bad :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Finished my M-06 Beetle build and bodywork. Probably a bit predictable to do another Herbie, but I'm just the right age to have loved those films when I was a kid, and currently loving hearing about my nephews (4 and 6) falling in love with them too. I also thought it would be cool to build a RWD 'rally' Beetle as opposed to the 4WD MF-01X

spacer.png

The lack of a proper Tamiya PS paint for Herbie is well documented, so I went for Pearl White, which is the same as VW Pearlweiss in name only!! The Herbie stickers are from an ebay seller called screenprintdigital who I would happily recommend. I had a set from MCI too, but these are better. The colours aren't as bright as MCIs and the scaling is better. There's also quite a lot on the sheet, which is good cos it means I can deal with the air bubbles in this one :lol:

spacer.png

I decided that, unlike the film, my Herbie really WOULD do the Monte Carlo Rallye so got some stickers with the right number, also from screenprintdigital. Painting the wheels helped get him a little closer to the movie car, and some grey canvas material does a reasonable job of mocking up the soft top

spacer.png

spacer.png

To help him rally for real I used rally block tyres, replaced the kit uprights with the F Parts tree from an M05ra to increase the ground clearance, and used a set of white CVAs left over from a TT02 build

spacer.png

spacer.png

Gained quite a bit of clearance compared to the M03, also more than my TT02 with 'High' clearance set up

spacer.png

A set of homemade universals (I had the axles with rings lying around unused from a previous build) should make that extra clearance a bit more secure

spacer.png

The front is finished off with a spotlight from the Beetle MF-01X and a sticker from the MCI decal sheet. And to help him be road legal in Europe, yellow tinted headlights :)

spacer.png

Just need the neverending rain to stop now so we can get out and give him a run!

• Like 14

15 hours ago, Busdriver said:

if you have an airbrush use Alclad chrome. Needs a black basecoat  and needs to be super smooth but the result is fantastic

thanks, I'll give that a try, can you clear coat it? or does it stay put?

@Lee76 Alclad do an aqua clear to go on top (I think it's just PVA, but could be wrong).

Try to paint the chrome soon after the gloss black to help it stick while the black is still tacky. Leave the chrome for at least a day before applying the aqua clear so it doesn't blast it off the surface.

2 hours ago, Lee76 said:

thanks, I'll give that a try, can you clear coat it? or does it stay put?

I think Alclad do a special clear coat.

Love your Herbie @Juhunio. I’m told that I was inconsolable when Herbie went off the boat in ‘goes Bananas’. 
I really wish I’d got the Black Porsche a while back after someone reminded me that they featured in Condorman. Would have been a good build too.

• Thanks 1

Took some of the body panels off the Raptor  just to see how its put together. I never use a power screwdiver for making models but I sure will set it up if I need to take all the body panels off. Its over 20 screws!!! Sorry but the camera had a kitten fit so no pictures. On the 4x4, Monster truck thread it is de rigueur to do an articulation picture so I thought I'd do a suspension travel one. The front is impressive

IMG_2190.JPG.a9013e2460cd60451f85b4496bb0cb11.JPG

The rear is just awesome. Even on my pit stand the rear wheels touch the ground!!!

IMG_2189.JPG.5ca4f705d441141e83543b611f957396.JPG

• Like 3

Stopped by my LHS after work and picked up a few supplies. Wanted to get one of those Molotov pens but they'd sold out 😔

jonQxkF.jpg

• Like 2

So, better late than never...

On 12/20/2019 at 1:41 PM, lsear2905 said:

I'd like to give my original "proper" RC, my Traxxas Bandit, a proper restore/refresh for it's 8th birthday next year (yes, I'm a more recent entrant to this hobby). I have some parts put aside, but unfortunately our weak Australian dollar has put it on the back-burner for a while... there's no urgency as the car is currently running beautifully, and any refresh would be purely superficial.

I'm heading overseas a couple of times next year, so I plan on driving (and photographing) my HPI Q32 in at least one more country than I currently have (so far Australia, Singapore and Japan).

Otherwise I don't have any specific vehicles on my wish-list, at least not until Tamiya or Traxxas announce something new and exciting!

I've ordered (yesterday) a pile of bits for the Bandit (and some other cars, but I'll stay on topic) and done a stocktake of what I already had put aside for it:

• 4 x AKA white wheels,
  • 4 x Duratrax Bandito tires,
  • RPM Traxxas Rustler (yes, I did the wide-mod years ago), front arms,
  • RPM Traxxas Rustler rear arms,
  • RPM Traxxas gear cover, 
  • RPM Traxxas Rustler wide front bumper,
  • Traxxas 3678 adjustable wheelie bar, and
  • A 120mm LED light bar to mount on the front bumper (I've previously had LEDs glued into the bumper).

Here's the slightly embarrassing bit - I then did a stocktake today to see what else to fit at the same time (see if you notice any duplication):

• LED taillights,
  • RPM front shock tower,
  • RPM rear shock tower,
  • RPM Traxxas Rustler front arms, and
  • Traxxas Bandit front bulkhead (black).

I'll also give it a very good clean, replace screws & bolts where necessary, but keep the original shell I painted a long, long time ago. The good news is I sold my Tamiya Hilux (lexan) body and a Pandora RC Lexus LFA body which paid for almost the whole list.

In Tamiya news I was able to give the T301 Dancing Rider a very good run tonight, which is a car that always puts a smile on my face!

• Like 1

Just bench run the beast on 3S lipos. 😳 it’s terrifying.9964CC13-1FAA-48E9-B829-DCE101F21043.jpeg.aef31bd153dacb695e00e50f639c5acd.jpeg There’s a 3 stage throttle setting which I thought was on 100% . It doubled the diameter of the wheels so I thought I’ll turn it down. Wrong it was at 50% so at 100 the wheels almost fill the arches and are as described in some reviews as Pizza cutters. I dare not try and film it gust in case came off the stand and I need both hands. It comes with another pinion and all I can say is if it makes it any faster I’ll need a lot of practice. Took a chance with camera. This about 80% throttle and the tires touch the body work!!!D03C9683-9795-4568-80FF-9AB338C858A2.jpeg.e31f181149fa1fdcf000c7e6248d68f3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The song says”you don’t have to take your clothes off to have fun!!!” Now I know what he was talking about

I dub thee Sir Raptor 

09C6294A-33D5-46EC-9EED-DF87E9EDACBC.jpeg.c2d9e60cb95122fa797460e1fefdc625.jpeg

• Like 5

Just given Sir Raptor a 🧽. Just notice the suspension has collapsed??  Having read a few articles this is quite common after the first run do will need to put a bit of preload on to the springs. Also noticed that whilst running the rear wheels were hitting the top of the inner wing taking the paint off!!

63C99DEA-A944-4162-A45E-078F0423AC3B.thumb.jpeg.7d6705c4dee67ab98d03bb3c954ee237.jpeg

• Like 1

Got the TA04 ready for racing tomorrow:)

Had to do a bit of wiring and get it ready so I can use shorty packs if necessary as a backup 

F1789919-D173-42B4-BE6E-5E88F1EFEFCF.jpeg.199e4f0f8caad474978d243a2694dda1.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Just given Sir Raptor a 🧽. Just notice the suspension has collapsed??  Having read a few articles this is quite common after the first run do will need to put a bit of preload on to the springs. Also noticed that whilst running the rear wheels were hitting the top of the inner wing taking the paint off!!

63C99DEA-A944-4162-A45E-078F0423AC3B.thumb.jpeg.7d6705c4dee67ab98d03bb3c954ee237.jpeg

This is quite common on short course trucks, you can line it with tape or adjust the suspension to suit. The bodies get a beating, let it eat 😎 

This morning I rebuilt the ball diff in my M02, then took it for a quick spin. It is much smoother now! 😁

tugy2fn.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just back inside from a few heats for the Round 3 of Postal Racing. I guess I don't need much to feel like a country week-end pro racer 🤣

Ready, steady...

20201024-190118.jpg

...and GO!

This is the most dreaded part of my track: somehow I keep forgetting there's gravel in this corner, but even if a powerslide adds more time to a lap it also adds more fun, so I decided not to sweep it off and incorporate it in the challenge like it was meant to be.

20201024-190250.jpg

The Horny had to take its run in the dark and with a partially charged battery, which is why it will have full priority tomorrow in the fortunate case we get to do some more runs. I don't know why but it looked so cute, zipping through the cones with its little front lights in the obscurity :wub:

20201024-190229.jpg

Feels like I've truly earned my evening beer now ahah. Loving this game :lol:

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Ferruz said: 

20201024-190229.jpg

Feels like I've truly earned my evening beer now ahah. Loving this game :lol:

Night stages, cool 😎👍🏻

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2020 at 7:59 AM, Juhunio said:

spacer.png

Just need the neverending rain to stop now

You did a great job, your Herbie is beautiful!! 😀👍