Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 11/6/2020 at 2:40 PM, CoolHands said:

What were the hubs you got, is it these? (I have a javelin too)

https://www.rcmart.com/kyosho-optima-2016-aluminum-front-hub-1-pair-gun-metal-otw116gm-00072526

spacer.png
also what do you mean for the UJs? Driveshafts? They seem expensive

https://www.rcmart.com/kyosho-optima-universal-swing-shaft-2-pcs-black-otw125b-0010w3052

Hubs are original Kyosho, the OTW116GM that you show. Driveshafts (which Kyosho calls "universal joints") in this Javelin are from Yumi RC, aka "eBay specials".

My other re re Javelin has original Kyosho universal joint driveshafts, OTB247B.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

I think it’s more like a Racing Teapot made a guest appearance to give us a chance as well 😉

Careful what you wish for! :D I was actually thinking about running my racing teapot in the last round, but thought it might give me an unfair advantage, optimised as it is for ridiculously tight courses such as the ones typically used at the Asylum Teapot Races (of which it was the overall winner :ph34r:).

Round 5 should be another compact and tight course, so maybe I'll take it out then!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

IMG-20201107-023344.jpg

Got further ahead with the MF01X, using whatever parts have arrived so far (which is far from all sadly). 

If you look closely at the rear upper suspension turnbuckle in the picture (which is horrible; my apologies regarding the focus), you'll notice it's most definitely fouling on the main shaft gear cover on that side. Whoever designed this should be taken out and shot. I even used the upper hole on the top of the rear upright with the lower hole on the bottom and it still fouls.

I have an idea on how to fix it though. That (along with a lot of other stuff) is coming in the mail.

Oh, and for those who are wondering, big-bore dampers fit like a glove on this chassis, with no rubbing anywhere thankfully.

Are those knuckles same fit as the XV-01? They look similar.

14 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

They are are hex head 3mm screws I forget the exact length. I picked them up in my lox’s hardware store... they are the same shank length as the sum of the stock compartment + the brace , in other words they don’t really protrude out the other side but sit flush 

I went to the store earlier and got some new screws to try. Instead of m3 self tappers, I got m3 machine screws with the flattest head I could find. Passed it through the brace and chassis, put a nut on each end of the screws and the lipo fits now !!! I was pretty content with just being able to use hornet with nimh battery but when I saw you using the same lipo I have in yours, I had to make it work! This thing flies now. I’ve got a sport tuned motor with 2s lipo 😊

2FE825B7-4FB9-4007-BDAF-A5CECCDA44AC.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Careful what you wish for! :D I was actually thinking about running my racing teapot in the last round, but thought it might give me an unfair advantage, optimised as it is for ridiculously tight courses such as the ones typically used at the Asylum Teapot Races (of which it was the overall winner :ph34r:).

Round 5 should be another compact and tight course, so maybe I'll take it out then!

Looking forward to seeing Morris Van Pot out in the wild 👍🏻

2 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

I went to the store earlier and got some new screws to try. Instead of m3 self tappers, I got m3 machine screws with the flattest head I could find. Passed it through the brace and chassis, put a nut on each end of the screws and the lipo fits now !!! I was pretty content with just being able to use hornet with nimh battery but when I saw you using the same lipo I have in yours, I had to make it work! This thing flies now. I’ve got a sport tuned motor with 2s lipo 😊

2FE825B7-4FB9-4007-BDAF-A5CECCDA44AC.jpeg

That’s awesome! I run that battery with a silver can and it has plenty of low end punch. It pulls wheelies on grass with new spikes on the rear. 

I switched the RC4WD lower bumpers to different one that has a winch, two reasons: 1) the RC4WD rear steel bed is really heavy there's not enough weight on front axel.  2) the new bumper is exact replica of the one used in 1:1 Brabus G500 4x4 Squared Adventure 

IMG_E2778.JPG.dc5dffe128e4c8ea20cec47de5919bcc.JPG

below: new lower bumper with winch not as clean look as the one above but  adds more weight to the front .

IMG_E2808.JPG.3e79f22412ccdf2aeae8cfd17d9f4314.JPG

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

That’s awesome! I run that battery with a silver can and it has plenty of low end punch. It pulls wheelies on grass with new spikes on the rear. 

It’s hard to get battery in because the wires hit the servo but it’s in there. Probably my dedicated hornet pack lol. Keep in there and just charge it while it’s in the car. I’ve got 3 of those gartpots and 2 other lipos 

3 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Are those knuckles same fit as the XV-01? They look similar.

No, they're nothing like the XV-01 knuckles. This is a testament to how blurry picture is :lol:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

So what's the bag to water ratio in your teapot racer? ...or is that classified tuning info :ph34r:

I'm not even going to ask whether it's early grey, breakfast, twinnings, PG tips... or if you mount a jam n cream 'Scoan' on the back for better weight distribution...

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, berman said:

So what's the bag to water ratio in your teapot racer? ...or is that classified tuning info :ph34r:

I'm not even going to ask whether it's early grey, breakfast, twinnings, PG tips... or if you mount a jam n cream 'Scoan' on the back for better weight distribution...

I can disclose that it is Yorkshire Tea, and that the key to a good run is the drawing/steeping time, but I can't tell you what would be optimal as it varies from driver to driver according to taste. Most of the top drivers use from 3 to 4 minutes though, so 3mins 30 secs is probably a good starting point. 😁

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, CoolHands said:

Woke up early so took the favourite runner out

B49C3255-EA76-4EA9-83E8-FF28A30C5CB9.jpeg.fdbd5b2d9d64f607dbda2e58b88a52a0.jpeg

ooh!!

4E4ED623-990D-4CD5-BDB7-BCDE826492E4.jpeg.72c2b972f0c17c488f3159784c7b0250.jpeg

How were the new wheels on the 1st outing?

They look great BTW.

Haha excellent! Not chipped yet. Except one problem - a wheel nut came off and the front wheel wheeled itself away! Luckily I had a spare one with me

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Mounted up some Integy and Hot Racing parts on the Enduro

IMG_4730.JPG

That's really nice! Can you share more pictures of it? Any links to the build please?

6 hours ago, CoolHands said:

4E4ED623-990D-4CD5-BDB7-BCDE826492E4.jpeg.72c2b972f0c17c488f3159784c7b0250.jpeg

That looks like an incredible place to drive! Give me a skateboard and an RC car and I could live there forever :wub:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CoolHands said:

Haha excellent! Not chipped yet. Except one problem - a wheel nut came off and the front wheel wheeled itself away! Luckily I had a spare one with me

We have all been there! :lol:

Not a lot of Tamiya going on in my household just now.

A little while ago I posted a photo of a very young me watching a buggy go round a track. When my folks gave me a box of stuff to go through the other day, I came across this 

86F62790-8267-4AD2-8EC6-E9B9202B7E09.jpg

Unfortunately, I have no recollection of it, no idea whether my Dad or my Grandfather took me. I can barely remember my childhood but I am a mine of useless information.

Instead of RC, I have been working on my ‘Christmas project’. This is the beginnings of a 1:48 roof..

BC3C7BD1-1C30-4AE5-B763-E0BFF23F7388.jpg

• Like 4

Young BC and I have just finished another of the finds from my stash of old toys.

3D7BE787-AA94-4939-BCAA-CF7B4F341D71.jpg

Despite there being loads of minifigures and Space sets, he went straight for the Technics. I can’t remember how old I was when I got this set but I was a fair bit older than him - he’s six!

• Like 5

• Fitted Dyna Run super touring motor to my thundershot with a 14t pinion
  • Fitted brand new sport tuned to my daughter's Vanquish with 19t pinion
  • Spent a couple of hours doing postal racing laps and GPS speed tests
  • Cooked a spicy marinated Cajun chicken meal
  • Watched a Halloween movie with kids with all lights off except flickering led skulls and pumpkins 
  • Munched on chocolates from a couldron full left over from Halloween
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Not a lot of Tamiya going on in my household just now.

A little while ago I posted a photo of a very young me watching a buggy go round a track. When my folks gave me a box of stuff to go through the other day, I came across this 

86F62790-8267-4AD2-8EC6-E9B9202B7E09.jpg

Unfortunately, I have no recollection of it, no idea whether my Dad or my Grandfather took me. I can barely remember my childhood but I am a mine of useless information.

Instead of RC, I have been working on my ‘Christmas project’. This is the beginnings of a 1:48 roof..

BC3C7BD1-1C30-4AE5-B763-E0BFF23F7388.jpg

I think I went to a couple of the West Malling Shows with my Dad 

• Like 1

Battery took forever to charge for some reason, but the kidlet and I eventually got to bash the repaired Javelin around the yard.

I didn't notice a speed difference with the universal joint swing axles, but the motor does seem to be running hotter than it did before. 

Either that or it's my imagination, especially since these swing axles are eBay specials. 

• Like 1

None of my numerous parts on order turned up for the weekend (particularly worried about one from RCMart thats been sitting at the distribution centre 2 hours north since the 27th Oct).

So I found stuff to do...

The M01 I bought last week had a mint unscratched centre tub, so I swapped that out with my Monte M01 as that has some light scratches underneath, same with the bumpers, they are new looking also.

I figured I might as well keep one immaculate and one a runner.

Replaced the motor connectors on my TEU-101BKs in my M01/2s and cleaned the wiring, as they were tarnished and dirty looking 😄

Soldered a dean's style plug onto one of my 1060s, would have done them all but I seem to be out of a lot of consumables.

Looks like I need to make another list 😄

GeMCUgd.jpg

0XjpPIu.jpg

• Like 5

Busy day today, put the finishing touches on a set of Scorcher wheels with white lettering and assembled them with alloy rim covers.

Charged 2 batteries.

(Finished off some wooden flower box’s for my daughters Prom night props. Then made a framework and sprayed it that will covered in balloons for photos to earn some more tamiya time 😉)

Sprayed the inside edges of the Knight Hauler chassis + a few other bits while I was spraying. 

Then loaded up the van and went ’Postal Racing’

Time for a Spitfire Ale 🍺 

• Like 8