Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 10/24/2020 at 7:28 PM, lsear2905 said:

So, better late than never...

I've ordered (yesterday) a pile of bits for the Bandit (and some other cars, but I'll stay on topic) and done a stocktake of what I already had put aside for it:

• 4 x AKA white wheels,
  • 4 x Duratrax Bandito tires,
  • RPM Traxxas Rustler (yes, I did the wide-mod years ago), front arms,
  • RPM Traxxas Rustler rear arms,
  • RPM Traxxas gear cover, 
  • RPM Traxxas Rustler wide front bumper,
  • Traxxas 3678 adjustable wheelie bar, and
  • A 120mm LED light bar to mount on the front bumper (I've previously had LEDs glued into the bumper).

Here's the slightly embarrassing bit - I then did a stocktake today to see what else to fit at the same time (see if you notice any duplication):

• LED taillights,
  • RPM front shock tower,
  • RPM rear shock tower,
  • RPM Traxxas Rustler front arms, and
  • Traxxas Bandit front bulkhead (black).

I'll also give it a very good clean, replace screws & bolts where necessary, but keep the original shell I painted a long, long time ago.

2067435053_TraxxasBandit2.thumb.jpg.13bb891d5336fe9ec568837cbaccc42b.jpg

710842379_TraxxasBandit1.thumb.jpg.c53bced9c046742b99f3173c23085284.jpg

The lights will have to wait - A few days after I ordered the light bar I was contacted by the seller saying they were out of stock, then after a week or so of mucking around I've bought one from another seller. I also found new Losi wing mounts and replaced the blue spring retainers and spacers with black RPM ones.

I also updated the UDR (new alloy hubs), the B5 (new rear wing), E-Revo (body protectors) and the X-Maxx (body protectors). Oh, and the Rustler 4x4 got a fair overhaul, too. RPM A-Arms, front bumper, wheelie bar mount (and wheelie bar from the Bandit), body protectors and of course new wheels and tires (the hubs had rounded out in the old ones).

465303741_TraxxasRustler4x4.thumb.jpg.06de75ba73b2c67cdbc3ef010814b78e.jpg

• Like 4

First, unsteady steps in my 2020 TS build. After some trial and error, researching and pondering I finally close the gearboxes -for now, and for the sixth time or so- today.

I know this is an amazing buggy and that I'll probably be very happy with it in the end, but so far it hasn't been the most enjoyable build. Started with the sliced tire right out of the box (a prompt replacement is on its way) I then encountered some of the now well known issues such as horribly moulded bevel gears and the headache about if to substitute the thrust washer+plastic part with a bearing or not, not to mention why is a bearing where is not needed (counter gear)? 

Tried mounting the prop joints with some bearings but it felt way too tight, so after studying the gearbox and convincing myself that a ball bearing is far less essential in that specific place than it first seems, I went back to the thrust washer with some more peace of mind. But still, why supplying all those bearings and then slack out on proper thrust bearings? A bit like climbing a mountain and not taking a picture on the top? Ok maybe not the best compariso but you know what I mean 😅 

About the bevel gears, I just grabbed an exacto knife and went full psycho on them. After a lot of lump-chopping (unbelievable how much needed to be shaved off) I rebuild the gearbox and the difference felt like night and day. Still, I have a feeling I'm gonna have to do more work on those gearboxes, but hopefully not!

This is how they look now. I hope that the rest of the build will be relatively smooth sailing from what concerns the quality of the components, as so far I'm not exactly overly impressed.

20201111-225314.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Ferruz said:

First, unsteady steps in my 2020 TS build. After some trial and error, researching and pondering I finally close the gearboxes -for now, and for the sixth time or so- today.

I know this is an amazing buggy and that I'll probably be very happy with it in the end, but so far it hasn't been the most enjoyable build. Started with the sliced tire right out of the box (a prompt replacement is on its way) I then encountered some of the now well known issues such as horribly moulded bevel gears and the headache about if to substitute the thrust washer+plastic part with a bearing or not, not to mention why is a bearing where is not needed (counter gear)? 

Tried mounting the prop joints with some bearings but it felt way too tight, so after studying the gearbox and convincing myself that a ball bearing is far less essential in that specific place than it first seems, I went back to the thrust washer with some more peace of mind. But still, why supplying all those bearings and then slack out on proper thrust bearings? A bit like climbing a mountain and not taking a picture on the top? Ok maybe not the best compariso but you know what I mean 😅 

About the bevel gears, I just grabbed an exacto knife and went full psycho on them. After a lot of lump-chopping (unbelievable how much needed to be shaved off) I rebuild the gearbox and the difference felt like night and day. Still, I have a feeling I'm gonna have to do more work on those gearboxes, but hopefully not!

This is how they look now. I hope that the rest of the build will be relatively smooth sailing from what concerns the quality of the components, as so far I'm not exactly overly impressed.

20201111-225314.jpg

Hopefully the fire dragon isn’t this way too !

41 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Hopefully the fire dragon isn’t this way too !

A dragon needs some noise! 😁

• Haha 2

Stripped the Honda City Turbo chassis down to add bearings, CVA’s and some hop ups I have bought.

Hadn’t realised that 1 of gearbox mounts had broken, my guess is that it had been over tightened when it was built or dropped at some point. 

So anyway super glued  the broken lug back on and we’ll see how we go. 

The detailing has for the been a voyage of discovery, some I’m really happy with but unfortunately the front and back window rubbers look like I painted them with my eyes closed 🤦, given up trying to rescue them.

So this one will either become a runner or find its way into the trade section shortly.

Great little model, but losing interest and for some reason my wife’s not that keen on it, apparently I have prettier Tamiya 😂.

Tax returns and a Lego set that needs building are on the very long ‘to do’ list this weekend, so will just see how I feel about this one over the next few days 😳.

Not done anything RC-related in a couple of weeks, but today I ordered one of those WPL D12 mini pick-up truck things from China. Watched loads of YouTube videos and disappeared down a bit of a rabbit-hole. Not had an RTR Rc for years!!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Not done anything RC-related in a couple of weeks, but today I ordered one of those WPL D12 mini pick-up truck things from China. Watched loads of YouTube videos and disappeared down a bit of a rabbit-hole. Not had an RTR Rc for years!!

I'm about to odrer too. Two of my friends have it. The replaced the plastic gearbox, center shaft and diffs to metal. Because the stock ones breaks easily.

4 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

I'm about to odrer too. Two of my friends have it. The replaced the plastic gearbox, center shaft and diffs to metal. Because the stock ones breaks easily.

Yeah I've been reading that. For now it's going to live at my work office and hopefully fulfill it's purpose of COVID-safe coffee delivery; the rear bed looks large enough for a mug :lol: I'll need some bump-stop solution as the rear leaf springs can't really 'carry' much weight.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 7:44 AM, jonboy1 said:

They are Sweep M-chassis wheels - got them from RC-Jaz I think. Tyres are Tamiya M chassis slicks. However...... 

....they are not a direct fit by any means. The standard wheels are fitted with an M2.5 screw into the hub (which has a small hex with a threaded hole on the back and is part of the axle, and a plastic hub with a threaded hole on the front.)

I raided the Tamiya parts catalogue to sort out the fronts (but I think there is room for improvement so I'm working on that) and for the rear I designed a custom 3D printed adaptor. I'll pop both the front and rear adaptors on my Shapeways page if people are interested.

As promised - uploaded and now available :)

Bought the Bondic pen and had a go at filling the rear post holes on my Beetle rally. 

Verdict..... Very impressed.

a solid straight fill of the post hole. feels tight and as hard as the lexan and clear. Should be great once painted. Granted you will probably be able to see the outline of the fill but will only tell how much once painted

20201112_214808_resized.thumb.jpg.24e679584b182f8eef722d8dc99a3f4d.jpg

The bottom of the pen contains the liquid plastic. I covered the top of the body with a piece of clear Sellotape, then carefully squeezed in the plastic. Then turn the pen around, turn on the UV light and hold it over the liquid and within 3 to 4 seconds it has dried solid. peel of the Sellotape off and hay ho a solid clear filled hole.

d.20201112_214631_resized.thumb.jpg.08342116f5c94c25a1cf31d0d4799d01.jpg

20201112_214737_resized.thumb.jpg.f3e4a9b91b5a7796b49c4b15254a9395.jpg

• Like 9

Got the XV01 mucky doing Postal runs

IMG_1922-1.jpg

Hopefully the body will last till they come back in stock, or my driving improves to stay off the kerbs!

• Like 6

11 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Burnt some rubber!!

50594734477_0b342e0ef8_b.jpg

This looks great in the blue and without too many decals.

The spares wheels define the trucks purpose so it’s clear it’s for go and not your average pick up. 

10 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

WFH today will try and not get too distracted by TC threads 😂

Yeah good luck with that. I've been trying to do that since March.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, c64orinoco said:

Yeah good luck with that. I've been trying to do that since March.

I haven't - I just see it as a much nicer alternative to people standing around talking near my desk or asking me stupid questions all the time ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

I haven't - I just see it as a much nicer alternative to people standing around talking near my desk or asking me stupid questions all the time ;)

I have the electronic equivalent - Microsoft Teams...

• Haha 4

52 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I have the electronic equivalent - Microsoft Teams...

I have that too - but I just set myself as "Busy" or "Do Not Disturb" or my favourite (but not my bosses) "Offline" - due to poor connection :D but secretly I'm there "working" and answering TC posts. Tee Hee! :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

Stickers. Many, many stickers...

spacer.png

Amazing job, I could only dream of being this good with stickers.

2 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Amazing job, I could only dream of being this good with stickers.

I'm scared of stickers. It is almost a phobia. But not really. I'm just scared of messing it up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

I'm scared of stickers. It is almost a phobia. But not really. I'm just scared of messing it up.

In my case, it’s more a consequence of being bad at painting; I have to get good at stickering to cover up the mess 😂

• Like 1