Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

Got another ts50 in my ultima and it flies! Comes pre soldered only need to solder 3 wires to motor and battery connector. Separate sold program box very handy. 

Do they make motors too ?

21 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

It is a bit disappointing for a not so basic kit though 😕.

Tamiya and Diffs eh??

Yeah, just with the talk about them on the internet being weak, and the white nylon gears didn't exactly inspire much confidence.. 😄 

And who am I kidding, I would've probably bought all the hop ups anyway 😂

On the same channel, gorgeous sunny summer afternoon here... instead of being down the road at the beach, I spent the day cutting, trimming, decaling and painting the ND MX-5 for my busted M08. Funny story, was looking at painting it metallic orange, missus agreed. Thought "I'm sure I have seen an orange one", then figured I had better check the forum. Subconsciously I think my mind was so flattered by @TurnipJF's ND MX-5 that it thought I should duplicate it ☺

So here is my other colour choice, sitting next to the old girl :wub:

au6bPxz.jpg

Qb0f0gz.jpg

• Like 12

8 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

Do they make motors too ?

The TS50 works well if not stressed. My son runs one in his Ae B6D with 17.5T and its great. It thermalled in his D413 4wd.

@Re-Bugged and @berman strange that it failed. The TA07 comes with TRF419 diffs which are all nylon and they're bulletproof, seems strange that the same stuff would fail in the M08

• Like 1

Nice @berman 👍🏻

I took my M08 (among others, 5in all) for some Racing by Post. Still going great on 2s Sport Tuned so far.

• Like 8

Getting there with my Dual Rider. I haven't been this impatient with a build since my first RC kit when I was a kid. Painted in between rain showers for that professional look. The driver will have to wait though.

Went a bit mad with installing the rear lights. Probably not road legal. :)

50631903058_ada54bbd92_k.jpgP1010844 by James H, on Flickr

50632737842_8b5965d2fa_k.jpgP1010843 by James H, on Flickr

50632646526_85e7592461_k.jpgP1010842 by James H, on Flickr

50632646581_ff2e2c0269_k.jpgP1010841 by James H, on Flickr

• Like 12

Sold my NIB Lunchbox, decided that I’ll use my daughters for the odd time I would drive it and hers is a nicely hopped up dust collecter- better ask her 1st 😂

Inc my daughters LB I’m back down to 10 Tamiya which suits me better.

5 Vintage and 5 Re-re’s.

1 left to restore and some fettling on others but no massive time sinks or money pits 💥

• Like 6

Just done something that has been curious to me for ages! When I built my cat xls what disappointed me was the front anti-roll bar in the fact that its soldered on? Only because my soldering skills is rubbish at best (if your good with a soldering iron then this is something you probably won't be to bother about?) Anyway I was correct in my thoughts as the few times I've taken the xls for a run around the rollbar has indeed came apart on a few occasions so I thought the hotshot ball joints from its rollbar could work perfectly on the cats? And I was right! 

20201122_133111.jpg

• Like 7

On 11/22/2020 at 2:07 AM, jonboy1 said:

Out of interest - what do you guys use to get the music onto your minidiscs now? I remember them needing an optical fibre lead - and the only thing I had back in the day that had one of them was my PS2!

I still use optical cable via an audio interface or 3.5 minijack for recording. I've searched for the Sony Sonicstage4.3 "Ultimate" but it doesn't allow music transfer to MD like the old versions did.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fuijo said:

Getting there with my Dual Rider. I haven't been this impatient with a build since my first RC kit when I was a kid. Painted in between rain showers for that professional look. The driver will have to wait though.

50631903058_ada54bbd92_k.jpgP1010844 by James H, on Flickr

50632737842_8b5965d2fa_k.jpgP1010843 by James H, on Flickr

50632646526_85e7592461_k.jpgP1010842 by James H, on Flickr

50632646581_ff2e2c0269_k.jpgP1010841 by James H, on Flickr

Excellent job sadly as I found out to my cost this morning when I ran mine for the first time on an outdoor basketball court they spend some time scraping your immaculate stickers off as they career on their side and roof. Mine runs brushless and 2 S lipos and I’m sure if it could get enough grip it would pull wheelies 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, moffman said:

Just done something that has been curious to me for ages! When I built my cat xls what disappointed me was the front anti-roll bar in the fact that its soldered on? Only because my soldering skills is rubbish at best (if your good with a soldering iron then this is something you probably won't be to bother about?) Anyway I was correct in my thoughts as the few times I've taken the xls for a run around the rollbar has indeed came apart on a few occasions so I thought the hotshot ball joints from its rollbar could work perfectly on the cats? And I was right! 

20201122_133111.jpg

@moffman thanks for sharing. I still have a CAT XLS in a box and always wondered about soldering the roll bar. I don't have a problem soldering but it seems too much of a hassle for such a thing. I watched on YT Masaaki Hirosoka (Masami's dad) building it and instead of soldering he just used CA glue. I think he made some comment where CA was fine. Quite interesting. On a side note, how does the CAT XLS drive?

4 hours ago, Fuijo said:

50632646526_85e7592461_k.jpg

I always come across dual riders and can't seem to avoid it. Not my thing but it must be a sign I should check them out. Great job! Can't wait to see the driver. 

I think if I got one, I'd seriously put a life like rat as a body and run it downtown.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Mechanic AH said:

Not my thing but it must be a sign I should check them out.

Don't whatever you do!

They're like little, tiny, relatively affordable**, Tamiya jewelry. Particularly when you get carried away with the hop-ups https://d7z22c0gz59ng.cloudfront.net/cms/img/usr/inst/parts/T301_PARTS_CATALOG.pdf

They're just so stupidly funny to drive.

16 minutes ago, Mechanic AH said:

I think if I got one, I'd seriously put a life like rat as a body and run it downtown.

Oh please do that. And have the rat holding a Go-Pro and post the vid. That would be awesome. :)

**This might not necessarily be true. It's possible to buy far too many hop-ups. Even useless ones.

Apparently.

• Haha 1

@Fuijo man, you shouldn't have shared that catalogue. I have to resist putting it on my list. If I really was pressured to get one, it will be for next year, around Halloween so I can truly have fun with it. And hand it to kids so they can prank people.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Mechanic AH said:

@moffman thanks for sharing. I still have a CAT XLS in a box and always wondered about soldering the roll bar. I don't have a problem soldering but it seems too much of a hassle for such a thing. I watched on YT Masaaki Hirosoka (Masami's dad) building it and instead of soldering he just used CA glue. I think he made some comment where CA was fine. Quite interesting. On a side note, how does the CAT XLS drive?

It drives brilliant I haven't got the upgrade transmission! I wanted it to just be true to the original! I have nothing against the upgrade it's just not for me? I did have reservations about how the front toes in badly when the shocks are depressed but it doesn't seem to affect it at all other than that it's a really capable buggy (it probably is fantastic with the upgrade transmission) just be very careful when you build the drive shafts it tells you to put them in hot water to soften them but I still managed to snap two of them and over 4hrs down A&E because I put the screwdriver through my hand (5 stitches) 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, moffman said:

It drives brilliant I haven't got the upgrade transmission! I wanted it to just be true to the original! I have nothing against the upgrade it's just not for me? I did have reservations about how the front toes in badly when the shocks are depressed but it doesn't seem to affect it at all other than that it's a really capable buggy (it probably is fantastic with the upgrade transmission) just be very careful when you build the drive shafts it tells you to put them in hot water to soften them but I still managed to snap two of them and over 4hrs down A&E because I put the screwdriver through my hand (5 stitches) 

What?! Ouch! I haven't had any RC building related injuries yet. Thanks for the tip. I'll be extra cautious with the shafts as I've heard about how they are a tad challenging to assemble. I'm in the same dilemma as you with the transmission upgrade. What's preventing me from investing in one is that the original didn't even have it and for me getting this re-re is for nostalgic reasons vs bash/track/race use.

• Like 1

Last night I finally finished the Kyosho Javelin. I actually had it for a while and it was quite done but I wasn't satisfied with the motor. So I had to wait a bit until I could find one that I think would suit the car well. I have to say, after working on a couple of these Legendary series, I was a bit disappointed when I started working on a Blitzer Beetle. Not that they're on the same level but the Tamiya felt like a toy and the plastic parts felt fragile—and if you consider a BB and a lower Scorpion's price point isn't that too far off from each other. I probably should check out a Tamiya kit from that period and at the same price point for a fair comparison. But boy, Tamiya is some case study on effective marketing.

Anyway, I kept the original orange roll cage and chrome wheels. Did a few minor upgrades—I almost held off on the build because I wanted some other performance upgrades but felt it was ridiculous since the car won't be much of a runner.

As for the look, I wanted something race inspired vs the box art but still keep a scale look. The motor I used is a Kyosho Le Mans Pro High Torque. A brushed motor from the ’90s, I believe. It’s a 16T double with 30K rpm. Good thing is I already installed an HD slipper pad on the car so it can take the motor—but I have the chain drive on it. When the weather is better (and I have time) I’ll take it out for a test run. The rest of the electronics are KO Propo and Reedy.

I also uploaded a video and some more footage/pics here if you’re interested. Thanks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPg9Lqb2ynU

MechanicAfterHours-Jav7.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-Jav9.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-Jav4.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-Jav3.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-Jav5.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-Jav1.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-Jav8.jpg

• Like 29

Added tamiya grey rims and dual blocks to my avante black. Next up is add a brushless to replace the bz motor. Deciding between the same reedy 10.5 s plus torque motor that is in my egress or hobbywing 10.5  no stickers except for the wing and finally got the tamiya smoke spray for the windows right

3D66BC10-F182-4220-BAE7-C7A525C90C80.jpeg

100C84B9-5BA8-4986-A1DA-93DE14413EE5.jpeg

• Like 9

Sooo... I’ve had a candy green grasshopper built for a while now, but hadn’t finished the decals because since last using them I’d misplaced my nice Tamiya decal scissors.. The scissors finally revealed themselves today so I got the decal bag out and guess what... PRE CUT DECALS!.. I honestly had no Idea they would be pre-cut.. I’ve made two cars before and had to cut them all out.. 

Oh well, I’ll still rough cut them so I can use the masking tape alignment method :)  

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Mechanic AH said:

What?! Ouch! I haven't had any RC building related injuries yet. Thanks for the tip. I'll be extra cautious with the shafts as I've heard about how they are a tad challenging to assemble. I'm in the same dilemma as you with the transmission upgrade. What's preventing me from investing in one is that the original didn't even have it and for me getting this re-re is for nostalgic reasons vs bash/track/race use.

Yeah my one has very deep sentimental value for me as It was built while I had down time while looking after my mum (God rest her soul) when she had alzheimer's so it was a good distraction (including the hospital visit) I have a 10turn brushed in it and the transmission is more than capable! Buy the way that javelin is absolutely outstanding! Easily the best I've ever seen👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The TS50 works well if not stressed. My son runs one in his Ae B6D with 17.5T and its great. It thermalled in his D413 4wd.

@Re-Bugged and @berman strange that it failed. The TA07 comes with TRF419 diffs which are all nylon and they're bulletproof, seems strange that the same stuff would fail in the M08

I am just assuming it's the bevel gears slipping, the only thing I have looked at is the pinion mesh, I have one of those fluorine coated pinions which has the beveled edges and I have always set mesh by eye/feel/sound, it's hard to set by eye, the feel is slightly tight now and so is the sound as I thought it could be the pinion, it isn't. Will strip it when I get a chance. Haven't ordered the diff yet either, it's getting close to Xmas and I am TRYING to restrain spending money on myself 😄

8 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Nice @berman 👍🏻

I took my M08 (among others, 5in all) for some Racing by Post. Still going great on 2s Sport Tuned so far.

Thanks mate 👍 That looks like a hoot. Mini drives well too! Should probably give the 'RBP' a go, maybe I can use my empty cider bottles 🤪

• Like 2

Getting there with the MF01X. I found some angled turnbuckle ends to help alleviate the problem with the turnbuckle coming in contact with the 4wd transfer case on one side in the rear. Boy those YR springs are stiff! I'm waiting on some large-diameter Tamiya springs to replace them.

IMG-20201123-012723.jpg

• Like 5

Today we had the first big snowfall, so there was that special moment when all the people leave the skatepark but it's still good enough to run the cars. It's only a couple hour window, as after there's too much snow accumulated to run anything at all.

I was there just yesterday skateboarding, and came back today at the perfect time to take advantage of such moment with the Hornet.

20201122-182733.jpg

20201122-183602.jpg

The seasoned basher delivered as always, great fun to drive it around. Also it was quite liberating to try some of the same lines I do on my board in all the comfort of safety, for once!!

Screenshot-20201122-182916-Video-Player.

20201122-184018.jpg

Screenshot-20201122-183204-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20201122-183514-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20201122-183320-Video-Player.

20201122-183829.jpg

20201122-183652.jpg

This was a great session!

• Like 19