Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On a way less enthusiastic note, the Hornet didn't make it out of the skatepark unharmed. While always landing properly, the impacts were still quite brutal and at the end this is how it came back!

20201122-183714.jpg

Looks pretty bad, but nothing that can't be fixed... a little eye surgery on the fallen front light, and some sort of brace to fix up the suspension arm, anyway I'll work it out somehow.

Although come to think of it, it'd be reasonable to just get another chassis at this point: it would de-zombiefy the car a little by fixing this and many other patched up parts, in fact my Hornet is still a bit shy since I showed its infamous secrets in the ghetto mods thread :lol:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

@Ferruz That looks cool :). I can't believe it's already snowing/winter. Time flies.

When I saw those jumps + the skate park, I wondered if the Hornet would survive... until I saw your last photo. I think an SC truck could be a blast to run there. 

• Like 1

Watched my daughter and her friend drive the BarbieFoot 2 all over the front yard...

J1ZX3MN.jpg

ClJOyh6.jpg

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

Last night I finally finished the Kyosho Javelin.

MechanicAfterHours-Jav7.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-Jav3.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-Jav1.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-Jav8.jpg

Wow! Just wow!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

These bike grip tapes are nice. The TX grip feels better on the hand. Gives that "cushion" feel and beefier. It even gives the Radiolink that expensive feel too. 

Me0A0TVh.jpg

XRMr81gh.jpg

0jUc5fjh.jpg

9egBVY7h.jpg

R5FAUxgh.jpg

CVjuTEBh.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Ferruz said:

20201122-183714.jpg

That pic looks great. And the Hornet looking cool, even with a broken front. Would be a perfect pic for a calendar, has a nice vibe in my eyes.

• Thanks 1

Well my daughter has said I can drive her Lunchbox and continue to tinker with which is sweet of her- stiffer front springs is 1st on the list. 

Pulled the trigger on a new Wild One front bumper, the plan being to turn it back to stock and maybe sell it on 50/50 on this plan 🤦

Bearings arrived today for the Honda City Turbo today so the plan is have a bit of quiet time one evening this week and reassemble it- again with a view to moving it a long- time for a change? 

Just realised season 3 of Rust Valley restorers is on Netflix so will watch that when everyone’s in bed. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ferruz said:

20201122-183714.jpg

Looks like a cartoon from a Pixar or Dreamworks (like Turbo, below) animation or something, after a hard race.

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 12:07 PM, Mechanic AH said:

Last night I finally finished the Kyosho Javelin. I actually had it for a while and it was quite done but I wasn't satisfied with the motor. So I had to wait a bit until I could find one that I think would suit the car well. I have to say, after working on a couple of these Legendary series, I was a bit disappointed when I started working on a Blitzer Beetle. Not that they're on the same level but the Tamiya felt like a toy and the plastic parts felt fragile—and if you consider a BB and a lower Scorpion's price point isn't that too far off from each other. I probably should check out a Tamiya kit from that period and at the same price point for a fair comparison. But boy, Tamiya is some case study on effective marketing.

Anyway, I kept the original orange roll cage and chrome wheels. Did a few minor upgrades—I almost held off on the build because I wanted some other performance upgrades but felt it was ridiculous since the car won't be much of a runner.

As for the look, I wanted something race inspired vs the box art but still keep a scale look. The motor I used is a Kyosho Le Mans Pro High Torque. A brushed motor from the ’90s, I believe. It’s a 16T double with 30K rpm. Good thing is I already installed an HD slipper pad on the car so it can take the motor—but I have the chain drive on it. When the weather is better (and I have time) I’ll take it out for a test run. The rest of the electronics are KO Propo and Reedy.

I also uploaded a video and some more footage/pics here if you’re interested. Thanks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPg9Lqb2ynU

MechanicAfterHours-Jav7.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-Jav9.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-Jav4.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-Jav3.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-Jav5.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-Jav1.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-Jav8.jpg

Hats off sir! Spectacular, especially the driver 💥

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

@Ferruz That looks cool :). I can't believe it's already snowing/winter. Time flies.

When I saw those jumps + the skate park, I wondered if the Hornet would survive... until I saw your last photo. I think an SC truck could be a blast to run there. 

I feel totally positive about a Hornet being able to survive the skatepark, if driven with a bit of mercy.

To be fair mine was at its last straw really, it took SO much abuse in the past six months that I was amazed it was still in one piece. Sand, gravel, dips in the lake, higher jumps and landings... Some sessions have been much harder than yesterday's trust me, although I do think that a concrete skatepark is probably the toughest playground imaginable for a normal RC car, especially if like me you are into jumps.

Yesterday it broke, but most of the times it's totally trouble free operation.

If you have a Hornet, bring it to a skatepark! you won't regret it. Mine will be back on the road soon ;)

6 hours ago, Aerobert said:

That pic looks great. And the Hornet looking cool, even with a broken front. Would be a perfect pic for a calendar, has a nice vibe in my eyes.

Glad you like it. You know what, I've been thinking about an RC calendar since last spring, when I was taking pics of the cars with my chipmunk friend (some of them ended up in a booklet already, but that's another story).

I really have to stop procrastinating and just do it! This pic will definitely be featured.

1 hour ago, CoolHands said:

Looks like a cartoon from a Pixar or Dreamworks (like Turbo, below) animation or something, after a hard race.

spacer.png

To me the Hornet always feels like a cartoon while keeping good scale looks at the same time. Same can be said for a Grasshopper I think. It's part of their magic!

• Like 2

Today I fixed up a few things.

I started off with the Hornet, after yesterday's reckless performance I though it deserved the priority.
Upon further inspection I found that no other parts were broken, so I just fixed up the front light on the runner shell, then cemented back the broken suspension arm, and once it dried I also braced it. A new bath tub frame will be on its was as soon as I have enough items in the cart to justify another order from RCMart, but for now the Hornet should be good to go for some light running. Just no more skatepark for the moment!

Then I took out my new soldering iron kit, eager to try it out as I've had it sitting in a box for a while. I started with pretty much everything that needed soldering around the house, from some wires to a couple old motors to my wife's jewellery (a year's worth of fixings finally done in a couple hours, lol).
After all of that was done I felt confident enough to do the wiring on the motor of my Terra Scorcher build. Took some concentration, but I'm happy with the result: this new soldering iron, although still pretty basic, is way ahead of the old rusty claw I was stuck with, can't believe it took me so long to finally buy a new one!!

This is the build so far, tidying up the wiring tomorrow

20201123-195005.jpg

• Like 2

Put the HCT gearbox back together 5 screws and 6 bearings- it is so smooth and quiet.

The simplest of tasks but none the less very satisfying.

Hopefully a little more can be done this evening 😉

• Like 2

Had some rear arms printed for my Boomerang I am building, didn’t like the strength of the rear shock mounts. We will have to see how they hold up, they are much stronger but have a little less spring in them compared to the Tamiya ones.

A4645B4F-A83F-433A-9CE8-5FDA18053AA0.jpeg

15646F62-D0D7-4F61-82CF-2986FDA65727.jpeg

1406F5C2-8079-4257-A9B5-F4F3F4FC9A6C.jpeg

• Like 2

On 11/20/2020 at 1:34 AM, DeadMeat666 said:

This is what a (mostly) full-option M06 chassis looks like by the time you're done with Bag B, step 18:

IMG-20201120-030405.jpg

I'm finding it amusing how I say this is the end of metal bag B, but in truth the metal bags are remaining mostly untouched lol. 

One frustrating thing I discovered during the build so far: the hop-up steering requires 2 10mm cs screws and 2 12mm cs screws that are not included in the Tamiya titanium screw set. I have to go back in later and swap them out because my OCD can't stand having 4 steel screws (I found 2 hex ones, but other 2 are JIS!) in a sea of titanium hex screws <_<:

IMG-20201120-024355.jpg

Otherwise it's a very enjoyable build so far.

what are u doing for front shock tower?

On 11/23/2020 at 10:19 AM, Ferruz said:

20201122-183714.jpg

This reminds me of a scene from Herbie, and I'm of the thinking this little Hornet has the Soul of Herbie too 😉

• Haha 1

Nice easy evening reassembling the HCT,  bearings all round, body parts refitted just a little more to complete and job done 💥.

I’ll hopefully complete it @ the weekend.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Finnsllc said:

what are u doing for front shock tower?

Tamiya carbon front shock tower, like the rear. It's visible in the top picture you quoted me on. Why do you ask? Any issues I should be aware of?

I took the BarbieFoot out on a nice family walk yesterday afternoon.

Got a nice pix at the creek...

QLWPLop.jpg

thYgw7A.mp4

• Like 4

It finally stopped raining after weeks of it pretty much non-stop so I took the opportunity to get out! Ground was still soaking wet after 2 days of sun but I couldn't hold back any longer. Went for a 2 hour stroll with the Lunchbox. Freaked a few dog walkers and runners out with the lights after it got dark lol.

5Cv2kPn.jpg

JOKhiNC.jpg

yOBeA5q.jpg

• Like 15

With the last piece (motor mount) turning up yesterday, and the two motors for the M05/M06 turning up today. I set about swapping my M05 from V1 to V2.

Parts changed were:

Lightly Tuned Motor

Alu V2 motor mount

V2 Stainless steel hinge pins

V2 A Parts

One piece lower suspension arms

559EDCu.jpg

I could care less about the V2 being square Lipo friendly, but no end caps and being expected to use 'racing tape' to hold a battery in, is annoying. Thinking of putting a M03/TL01 quick release on it.

Edit:

Also while searching for a 15mm countersunk machine screw for the front of the M05 (previous owner had put a 3x10mm tapper in there) I found some replacement drive cup joints for my GF-01, which I was going to order online, score! So chucked them in.

The old ones have had a rough life 😆

m1cfJtT.jpg

• Like 8