Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Having been flat out like a Lizard drinking, hardly done any RC of late except for some wet sanding of a Scorcher body getting it ready for the clear top coat, also sat the Knight Hauler body on the chassis to help get an idea of a paint scheme for it. I couldn't leave it there for long though as it was eclipsing the sunlight and I couldn't see what I was doing.

• Like 3

Took advantage of 10% off Shapeways orders to order a couple of parts for my JK and an M04RRXL spacer - a project I've had on the back burner for years - literally. I already have the wide  front shock tower, the M04 donor, TL01 suspension arms,the body, wheels and tyres. So that just leaves paint and time. A nice little project for 2021. Which will sit with all of my other projects still to be commenced...

I wonder how Brexit might affect Shapeways orders for the UK? It is already expensive.

Has the cost of 3D printers got to a point where you can do put them together at home without an engineering background? And make it cheaper than Shapeways?!

Finally got chance to strip down the M06 and the MadBull. Gave them both a good clean and fitted Tamiya diff putty to both cars.

Hoping to get some drift action with the M06 and better crawling ability with the MadBull. 

Today I fitted alloy wheel triangles to my Hotshot.

I like alloy wheel hexes, and have them installed on almost all of my models. However some (like the Hotshot and Thundershot) don't use hexes as standard. They use triangles instead:

2020-12-01_03-30-57

On my Thundershot I converted to alloy hexes and modern wheels, but on my Hotshot I wanted to keep the wheels original, so thanks to Miniature Manufacturing, I was able to install alloy wheel triangles:

2020-12-01_03-31-33

They fit neatly in place of the original plastic items:

2020-12-01_03-30-28

The stock wheels are now nice and secure on all-weather crack-resistant alloy triangles, so I can run the Hotshot in Winter without worrying about the plastic triangles cracking in the cold as they are wont to do.

20201201_150650

• Like 10

Went to my LHS to pick up my latest acquisition:

50671468051_7c1a4d4abf_k.jpg

50671550817_b71948db02_k.jpg

6S brushless ready out of the box, comes with a speed pinion that will give it 95KMH (60MPH), plus spare diff shims and a few other bits. The other aspect I like about this is it’s a tradition 1/8 3 diff set up. It’s also has massive tyres and mega ground clearance. Will get more pics tomorrow for a showroom entry showing the size of the thing.

oh yeah, the body is painted silver inside, and blue outside so when it gets scratched it give a bare metal look

• Like 12

As ive been not building lately, hunting parts for my DB-02, for no reason i built a DF-03 Dark Impact last night.

• Like 3

Today I felt bad about not having touched anything RC related in a week or so, due to being so busy with work and RL. Hopefully this will change in the next couple of days as the weekend approaches. I miss my hobby!

• Like 4

Today I did some prep work on a Kamtec Morris Minor van shell for an M-03. This one is going to have working lights and possibly some drifter-style grille mesh. The trimming went well, now to wait on the arrival of a can of primer.

• Like 5

Had a crazything happen when building a FROG today. the chassis disintegrated where part MR7 is installed( STEP 1). . Snugged the screw and noticed about 25 min later that part of the chassis was falling apart.  

• Confused 1

Today I made a purely aesthetic change to my TT-02 Type S, replacing the shiny silvered self-tapping JIS screws with black ones to match the colour of the machine screws already used on the shock towers.

2020-12-03_12-54-08

The other on-road cars in my fleet that are in a similar performance bracket, namely the mighty TB-03, M-07 and M-08 all use black screws. I thought it only fair that the TT-02 Type S should look similarly smart.

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Today I made a purely aesthetic change to my TT-02 Type S, replacing the shiny silvered self-tapping JIS screws with black ones to match the colour of the machine screws already used on the shock towers.

2020-12-03_12-54-08

The other on-road cars in my fleet that are in a similar performance bracket, namely the mighty TB-03, M-07 and M-08 all use black screws. I thought it only fair that the TT-02 Type S should look similarly smart.

A proper TT-02. Nice build! ;)

• Thanks 1

Finished the NoisyScorcher, done bag A of the TC01

F8D3977D-3366-42BB-A205-16009D4C54E7.jpgA

Electrics are just plopped in for now, to see how tight the fit is. Handily the R12 servo has a nice short cable on it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Finished the NoisyScorcher, done bag A of the TC01

Electrics are just plopped in for now, to see how tight the fit is. Handily the R12 servo has a nice short cable on it.

The R12 is a great servo for TCs in general. It's my personal favorite.

• Like 1

FINALLY got some free time to get back into RC for bit, after a 10 day hiatus. Well spent on finishing up the M06 chassis. I've decided to put the MX5 body on it from the M08, and put something a little more 'exotic' on the M08 later on.

Glamour shots:

IMG-20201205-025324.jpg

IMG-20201205-025447.jpg

Next up: painting the body and putting up a build thread when I have time.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, DeadMeat666 said:

FINALLY got some free time to get back into RC for bit, after a 10 day hiatus. Well spent on finishing up the M06 chassis. I've decided to put the MX5 body on it from the M08, and put something a little more 'exotic' on the M08 later on.

Glamour shots:

IMG-20201205-025324.jpg

IMG-20201205-025447.jpg

Next up: painting the body and putting up a build thread when I have time.

That is fully hopped up! Beautiful indeed!

• Thanks 1

Like others, been a busy week at work, done 12-14 hours over 6 days so feeling absolutely far too smashed to be doing anything 'involved' thats RC related. So got three of my trucks out (other two are on display at my LHS) and decided to give them a wipe down and figured I may start getting back into these when I can lay off the m-chassis addiction. The two on the left have still got a long road ahead of them as far as being finished goes... need to find the time, also. Still get a good feeling getting them down though 🙂

HW4Sjdm.jpg

MEAwwJN.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I want a trailer for my Wrangler and Jimny to pull. Any suggestions, prefer  a twin axle  and cheap. As well as other cars I dug out a winter restoration project. Not strictly Tamiya but if you look really carefully you’ll se a Tamiya battery connector 😏 soon to be removed and replaced with a Deans so that I can use the lipo from the dual rider.? It’s powered by an outrunner brushless motor which is surprisingly powerful. Will be interesting to see what it’s like on 2s. I have a frame that I can fit to the trailer for it to sit on. Quite a bit of work to do on it but I have a nice warm shed so no problem. Can even sprayA8E209D0-69A4-4A7B-9E0A-E343B7EC659E.jpeg.0c8fade1453539f70accfc5d2a15bb54.jpegABE30C65-626F-4EA4-A2C8-DD4706BD9632.jpeg.7e82a76b4a47fba1883900ba92ed667c.jpeg455B1B22-5FD0-4D01-9367-191B1150FAFD.jpeg.a1be97287d018d68c9c2b61e87d12a89.jpeg12C4D26B-4D4B-42ED-AA9C-CE9E37A01F15.jpeg.d925654733e75c5165b2d49721c61d29.jpeg37F3C698-4186-4C14-A215-87BB09FBB7CA.jpeg.aa77715e71542b0b76f8542d6c3bd42e.jpeg59C7D996-164F-433E-AACB-1B441B057FA8.jpeg.55e052e6e6cc1f51f91022e307d26629.jpeg

• Like 8

Hobbywing 10.5 v10 g3 & 10bl120 esc in my avante black. The motor wasnt a tight fit at all thankfully. 

66DEB954-9C42-4AFD-807F-6724C92BD5AB.jpeg

• Like 6

Finally, buttoned up my TXT-2 overhaul. Took longer than anticipated as overtime at work sucked up playtime at home. It now has moly grease in the axles (I overthink things like grease) and new twin Torque Tuned motors powering it. The small diff screws were indeed getting looser as others had observed in their trucks despite the previous use of threadlock so I was glad to catch them in time. The Torque Tuned motors aren't spectacularly fast but the truck has a very scale speed to it now. It just feels like its in the limits Tamiya engineers had in mind for the truck. Maybe 4WS will be in the future now. I tried hard to like the factory short course body/smaller tire look, but couldn't do it. Currently, she runs a beat up old TXT-1 body and wheels and tires. Much better to my eyes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Finally, buttoned up my TXT-2 overhaul. Took longer than anticipated as overtime at work sucked up playtime at home. It now has moly grease in the axles (I overthink things like grease) and new twin Torque Tuned motors powering it. The small diff screws were indeed getting looser as others had observed in their trucks despite the previous use of threadlock so I was glad to catch them in time. The Torque Tuned motors aren't spectacularly fast but the truck has a very scale speed to it now. It just feels like its in the limits Tamiya engineers had in mind for the truck. Maybe 4WS will be in the future now. I tried hard to like the factory short course body/smaller tire look, but couldn't do it. Currently, she runs a beat up old TXT-1 body and wheels and tires. Much better to my eyes.

I have to figure out something new to do to my txt 2. Maybe add aluminum skid plates and bumpers. Do 4ws steering? I have a castle 3800kv in it so it doesnt fly and 4ws should be fine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rb4276 said:

Hobbywing 10.5 v10 g3 & 10bl120 esc in my avante black. The motor wasnt a tight fit at all thankfully. 

66DEB954-9C42-4AFD-807F-6724C92BD5AB.jpeg

Protek and Kimbrough, you're not messing about are you B)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Protek and Kimbrough, you're not messing about are you B)

Id still like to get rid of the little play i still have in the steering but everyone says it’s impossible.