Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 12/10/2020 at 11:26 PM, El Gecko said:

I'm curious how you fixed that shock tower.

A proper way to fix that would have involved some invasive operations, bolts and braces and quite a lot of "ghetto engineering", but since I've promised my Hornet a new chassis soon, I decided to go for a quicker and less invasive fix. Cyanoacrylate was once again the name of the game, but what I've used is well beyond generic superglue in quality, strenght and bond. It's a compund that I get at work , which is made specifically for natural stone. It has excellent gap filling properties too, and comes with a hardener for quick and effective operation. Epoxy would do as well, I just find in my exoerience that good quality cyanoacrylate usually bonds better to plastics.

I first glued the suspension arm back to the chassis with plastic cement (that in theory is supposed to weld platics together, but I'm a bit skeptical in this case) and allowed to cure overnight. Then I started building around the cemented crackline with the cyanoacrylate glue, adding some home brewed ABS braces to help with the task. The goal was to build up around the weak part enough to make it stronger and stiff -a lump of cyanoacrylate will not flex- in order to spread out the load to other parts of the chassis, giving an easier time to the damaged section. As a consequence, if I apply load like for instance pushing down the front suspensions the chassis now flexes in a different, inner part instead of where the crack is, like it used to. A crash at high speed would now probably result in a different part of the chassis cracking, wherever the stress now is, unless I hit hard enough to crack the built up glue in which case the suspension arm will snap again right there. Judging by the other day's run, it seems to have worked effectively and that it's gonna take a major crash to break it again.

So it worked well, but again it's quick ghetto solutions for a zombiefied basher with more scar tissue than actual chassis, it would probably affect the handling of anything above it :)

let me know if you want photos, I can take some once back home.

Was the sign up as she said @jonboy1? Our local BMX track has a no-RC rule (fair enough) but the green space it backs on to us fair game apart from where the canines (well, their owners) have left their excrement.

Has the Parish Council banned squirrels too? And cats? Are Royal Mail deliveries to a central point? *!?!?****@###!?!

I finished applying the decals to my DT-02 Nissan Titan. I'm pleased, save for the minor goofs while painting -- some PS-5 Black found it's way under the masking. It's box art, though the eagle eyed will notice that I skipped painting the rear fender flares in silver, which required trimming the sliver off of the red stripe stickers on either side.

DT-02.jpg

• Like 6

Started my Axial SMT10. Its my first Axial kit and so far, so good. The plastics seem reinforced and pretty good thus far. Hex hardware does take getting used to though after decades of Tamiya JIS.

• Like 4

Hey everyone, hope you all remember me lol. I've been so busy with RL that I haven't been able to practice my hobby, but this weekend I was able to squeeze in a couple of things:

Put in a carbon motor brace on the XV01LDS. Still trying to find some time to do the necessary wire-extensions and soldering to get the electronics properly situated:

IMG-20201212-231751.jpg

Also put in an aluminum steering arm on the MF-01X, as well as some TRF large diameter springs instead of the rock-hard ones that come with the YR big-bores. The eagle-eyed will also notice that the MF now has some DCJ's up front as well ;):

IMG-20201213-002554.jpg

IMG-20201213-002611.jpg

That's it for now, but I'm REALLY behind on the bodies for all these chassis'? chasses? chassises? (huh... what IS the plural for chassis?).

M06 done, no body. M08 done, no body. M02 done, no body. XV01 done-ish, no body. MF01X done, no body. TB04R done, no body. etc etc

Need to get cutting/painting/stickering already!

• Like 6

After all the blabla of this morning about the fixed suspension arm, I did it all over again this afternoon 😌👏

There was no snow today and I just fixed up the Horned, so I thought it'd take it to the skatepark again. Thought to myself 'only mild running' of course

It was icy but no snow in the way so at first it was all good, just smooth running and no big jumps.

20201212-164548.jpg

20201212-164609.jpg

Screenshot-20201212-165100-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20201212-164902-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20201212-164927-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20201212-164836-Video-Player.

20201212-163221-1.gif

It was fun like that, but after 10 mins or so I couldn't help it, I just had to do it. I started jumping the car off the ramps and of course within a few minutes of dumbness I heard a loud crack, the arm broke again... :rolleyes:

Poor Horney 😬 Time to get some rest and glory on the shelf until the new chassis shows up

20201212-164631.jpg

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ferruz said:

After all the blabla of this morning about the fixed suspension arm, I did it all over again this afternoon 😌👏

Thanks for the run through of your process, after reading that, I was wondering if your super-super-duper glue was going to hold. Like you, I tried gluing that gear, and like yours, it also failed. Apparently nothing can really glue acetal plastic as I expected, but it was worth a shot at least. A replacement is on the way.

3 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Poor Horney 😬 Time to get some rest and glory on the shelf until the new chassis shows up

Same with the Grasshornet, it's having a bit of a rest until the new gears arrive, then it's game on :angry:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

I just had to write a scathing letter to the local council.....

I decided that as it was relatively dry, I'd take the opportunity to take a couple of my cars to the local park. I unpack one in the car park, walk to the main gate, where I'm accosted by a little old lady:

"You obviously don't realise that you aren't allowed to play with those cars here anymore!"

"Excuse me?"

"There's a sign there - they are not allowed here anymore."

"Why not?"

"A lady was walking her dog a while ago and someone had one of those things going around the bike track (there's a bmx pump track) and it scared her dog, which pulled the leash hard and pulled her over. She got quite badly hurt by it."

What I said in my head differed dramatically from what came out of my mouth I'm pleased to say - but the letter I just wrote to the parish council was not so kind.

Since when does someone getting pulled over by their dog become the fault of someone other than the person holding the dog? If that dog had escaped and hurt someone - does it cease to be the owners fault now? Is that the society we live in, where a dog has greater rights than a human?

I'm sick of this world - I really am! 

Fit an Air Horn to a BMX and go for a ride around the track and see how that goes.

As you say, its more of a worry though that the owner can't control their dog. Surly thats more dangerous the an RC car that doesn't bite?

Other than put together an entry for the main site comp, I've done stuff all today really. Nice to put your feet up properly once in a while.

Good luck to all who enter the comp, So far there's a 1 in 4 chance of winning!! ;):)

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=136479&id=49381

** @HornetRacer 1971, not sure if its just me but there might be glitch with your entry as when I click on it to view it it doesn't come up?? I can only see the Thumbnail on the first page.**

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ferruz said:

There was no snow today and I just fixed up the Horned, so I thought it'd take it to the skatepark again. Thought to myself 'only mild running' of course

It was icy but no snow in the way so at first it was all good, just smooth running and no big jumps.

20201212-164548.jpg

20201212-164609.jpg

20201212-163221-1.gif

It was fun like that, but after 10 mins or so I couldn't help it, I just had to do it. I started jumping the car off the ramps and of course within a few minutes of dumbness I heard a loud crack, the arm broke again... :rolleyes:

20201212-164631.jpg

Great pics. You can rebuild. Stronger!

Awesome wall ride.

• Thanks 1

@Ferruz you get the most fantastic shots. The lighting, locations, composition...

Looking forward to seeing ‘Horney’ back up and running for more adventures :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Other than put together an entry for the main site comp, I've done stuff all today really. Nice to put your feet up properly once in a while.

Good luck to all who enter the comp, So far there's a 1 in 4 chance of winning!! ;):)

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=136479&id=49381

** @HornetRacer 1971, not sure if its just me but there might be glitch with your entry as when I click on it to view it it doesn't come up?? I can only see the Thumbnail on the first page.**

Yes I took it down because I wanted to edit it.....but the rules say I can't re-enter. Sad but true. :(

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, HornetRacer 1971 said:

Yes I took it down because I wanted to edit it.....but the rules say I can't re-enter. Sad but true. :(

Ahhh nooo, sorry to hear that, from what I could see it looked pretty good too 😕

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Ahhh nooo, sorry to hear that, from what I could see it looked pretty good too 😕

Thanks bud.....maybe we should ask the owner to make an allowance this one time?......lol

2nd Version.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, HornetRacer 1971 said:

Thanks bud.....maybe we should ask the owner to make an allowance this one time?......lol

2nd Version.JPG

Well worth asking for sure 👍🏻

• Like 1

Not Tamiya, but this is a on going project in the last year. HAVENT been flying anyyyyyything yet.

My UAV.

need a good TX from the Turningy range.

Now it is finished until the VTX part of story, am currently using a tx02 eachine all in one cam combo from a mini eachine e013 quad. "2400kv 1808 motors on 3s. a diatone F4 stack combo 3-6s. motors capable onl up to 3s but should work fine on 4s.

bLVScIZ.jpg

T8f7ZaE.jpg

qgpIvzO.jpg

VPEJ5qS.jpg

HfTKLER.jpg

with leds ofc

e7ENAYm.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/12/2020 at 5:00 PM, Ferruz said:

20201212-164548.jpg

20201212-164609.jpg

20201212-163221-1.gif

20201212-164631.jpg

I want to clarify I “liked” your photos but “dislike” the breakage 

On 12/12/2020 at 5:00 PM, Ferruz said:

20201212-164548.jpg

20201212-164609.jpg

20201212-163221-1.gif

20201212-164631.jpg

58 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

Thanks bud, I did dislike the breakage as well :lol:

This is no country for postal racers this time of the year!

...but the environment today was perfect for some high speed driving on the snow and on a frozen lake.

The hard compound spike tires are great for this weather, providing incredible grip on the frosty snow. No grip whatsoever on the frozen lake though! But the sound of the spikes on the ice was awesome :D 

Bonus: the tires still look brand new after two packs of angry spinning. On any other surface, the pin spikes would turn to knobs in a few minutes.

20201214-172303.jpg

20201214-162333-1.gif

20201214-172228.jpg

20201214-171918.jpg

20201214-172139.jpg

Screenshot-20201214-170514-Video-Player.

20201214-172406.jpg

I really enjoyed driving the Manta Ray today, glad it came back in one piece!

20201214-172009.jpg

• Like 7

After a few months of searching, I found the rear gearbox to my XV01TC. Thus could recommence the conversion of it back from rally spec to TC spec.

With that, the BZ came out, and was swapped with the TZ that was resting in my Super Astute

C8B6D1EC-FEC8-4981-9332-8110BCE20D74.jpg

Progress ground to a halt this evening due to missing rear lower arm shafts. The rally spec ones were shorter, so hopefully the original ones are in a parts tub somewhere. Hopefully too it doesn’t take me months to find them :D

Still, gives me more time to pick a suitable body for it, and work out the best way of putting the body mounts forward to match the TA/TB position. 

• Like 5

Since my desired RC kits aren't in stock, I decided to give the Bullhead some love and spent way too much for oil dampers.  I think he's happier now.

Bullhead1.jpg

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Killajb said:

Since my desired RC kits aren't in stock, I decided to give the Bullhead some love and spent way too much for oil dampers.  I think he's happier now.

Bullhead1.jpg

The oil dampers are a nice touch . The Bullhead is quite a rig . I’ve always wanted. clod chassis based truck. 
Maybe some day. 

• Thanks 1