Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@Saito2 wow, another Big Boss, congrats for the find -and for winning the auction.

So they do come up on the bay every now and then? I should probably start checking it out sometimes, I too wouldn't mind another Boss for spares or, better still, to run so that I can give mine a break.

Can't wait to see what your plans are about!

• Like 1

I just couldn't let the Hornet bee (pun intended) so I took it off the bench and down to the park for a spin (ghetto fixed once again, new chassis still to be ordered), this time with no breakages. It was just some light running, but it hit the spot.

20201219-183323.jpg

20201219-183302.jpg

20201219-183237.jpg

We even had some socializing, something that's become quite rare lately

20201219-183138.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Hit the trails in my local woods with the CC01 Wrangler. Just what it was designed for.17DC725D-E816-4607-BFB8-5C20BD9B7C8B.jpeg.c46a7f2911fb565d93e74ccacab1d6ab.jpeg92C2D9D7-D886-45AE-9210-F01ED28716EC.jpeg.0aabb4ab9c3c88a6074fefe4e9f00049.jpegBFBD9842-8F48-4BB2-8421-B1206A9F5B3C.jpeg.031c41300f5bb8d5123e94f6e33b3143.jpeg506B0C01-BC31-4BE3-91B9-686E0E0688DC.jpeg.00bbc851b24b16e9f0d6d9d42499480f.jpeg9EFEA03F-9F13-4792-B846-46B5006B552F.jpeg.029f66113d52204d213daa0e4b3b55af.jpeg

got very muddy. Only problem is an annoying clicking from the transmission. Have stripped and rebuilt it but no joy. The transmission cover is a little knackered so it may be that. Will also check rear axle tomorrow. If not I’ll just run it and see what happens 😬

• Like 6

I’ve come to the conclusions that hops up are another way to enjoy your Tamiya and that I need to run a car or 2 regularly to get more out of the hobby.

I’ve always held back from buying hop ups but since I am buying very few cars (just 1 kept this year) I can perhaps spend a little more on those I have.

And that I’ve haven’t run anything since August which just isn’t good enough 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

They really are an extra dimension @Grumpy pants. You can have the anticipation of waiting for them to arrive before a build or add them to an existing vehicle and (hopefully) see the difference they make. It adds that personalised customisation element, the thought process of ‘what do I add’ and, of course, the blue bling factor!

Like you, I haven’t run anything recently. It has been too long!

• Like 1

Gathering together bits to add a bit of realism. Thomson sub-machine gun, leather straps, canvas fo bedding roll, camouflage net and on the way an M1 carbine and a 50.cal machine gun. Newly added aerial at the rear.BDA71EB2-CA2F-43C2-8F69-3C95C1DFD586.jpeg.619b67f8a592872ba3e467aad7555e8e.jpeg8BAB5952-4C56-4168-B1D2-9C08FAA8F209.jpeg.0d25b668778501feff6390e0d56c674b.jpeg

• Like 3

Got a bit bored so threw together some clips of one of my Nikko conversions from a few years ago.

Also stripped and rebuilt my Lunchbox gearbox and rear shocks after a couple of years of beach running etc. The shock shafts were looking a bit tarnished so I put them in a Dremel and ran some 2500 wet and dry paper on them followed by polish. They look much nicer now. We'll see how long they last. Gearbox was surprisingly clean all things considered. It certainly seems to help to run a bead of grease around all the seams when you put them together. I gave the gears a quick wash in Naphtha and ultrasonically cleaned them and they looked pretty decent considering it's had a couple of years of brushless abuse in dirt, mud and sand etc. 

• Like 3

TowerHobbies shows the Clodbuster Black Edition as in stock... have been debating if I should get it or not after a recent purchase of the Big Wig... took 2 nights to convince myself and eventually pulled the trigger a few moments ago... I have 6 kits sitting in the box plus this... what am I doing wrong... ugh...

• Like 6

Transformed my DT-02 Nissan Titan into a Sand Viper. I went with pink for the fiancee. I also learned that I cannot stand pre-cut decals.

thumb_IMG_5754_1024.jpg

• Like 4

I'm getting impatient with this Blitzer Beetle. I just want it done. This is my first hard shell kit and I never knew I would be a bit OCD working on the body. Sanded, scored, detailed, filled holes and gaps with putty, primed, wet sanded, and going to re-prime again. And I dread painting it--if I will get that shiny and smooth perfect look since I've never painted something like this and it's winter. I hope by next week I'm done.

MechanicAfterHours-1040229.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-1040243.jpg

• Like 5

Feeling your pain @Mechanic AH, the VW shell is always worth the effort in the end though.

I’ve been trying to finish of my Sand Scorcher body and has been going great. One of the best finishes I’ve managed to achieve to date. But the last little bits of Chrome detail around the front windows with a Motolow Chrome pen,  not so great. On my 3rd (& hopefully final!!) attempt at them now.

It’s so close to done I could cry not getting this bit right 😂

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 8:19 PM, wolfdogstinkus said:

Hope this helps?

Hi wolfdogstinkus, sorry for the late reply, i didnt get the notifications - still new to how the forum works etc - thanks for the link to your  post, so it looks like everyone rips out the all-in-one electrics board an the rest of the electrics and fit in aftermarket stuff? 

I have started to open up the Evo and there doesnt look like anything is wrong with the electrics from a visual, and the servo seems to go in both directions so not sure why the car wouldnt turn left...

On 12/17/2020 at 1:56 PM, Fabia130vRS said:

Taking it apart is straight forward, just picture evere sequence before taking it off.

these are not mod on my QD, found it on YouTube, it looks ridiculous, to much effort for a non class car to be honest. I would like to be original but since there is no electronic, I’d like to keep it stock and just upgrade electronics and motor, maybe ball bearings if I still be interested in.

Hi Fabia130vRS, sorry for the late reply, i didnt get the notifications - still new to how the forum works.  Ah I see. Yes it did look OTT for me too- i just want to get the Evo working as per standard and when i am comfortable with them i will be buying a kit model to tune...

I have started taking it apart now and i cant see anything wrong with the electrics so far, no resistors are bulging etc, no discolouration on the all-in-one electrics board. Weird.

Thank you for your advice though!

54 minutes ago, TanvirQDS said:

Hi Fabia130vRS, sorry for the late reply, i didnt get the notifications - still new to how the forum works.  Ah I see. Yes it did look OTT for me too- i just want to get the Evo working as per standard and when i am comfortable with them i will be buying a kit model to tune...

I have started taking it apart now and i cant see anything wrong with the electrics so far, no resistors are bulging etc, no discolouration on the all-in-one electrics board. Weird.

Thank you for your advice though!

Maybe the potentiometers in the transmitter 

14 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

And I dread painting it--if I will get that shiny and smooth perfect look since I've never painted something like this and it's winter. I hope by next week I'm done.

I might be inclined to put it on hold for a couple of months and fettle with some other projects in the mean time until next year whe  the weather gets better. If your already not feeling 100% enthusiastic about working on it you will only rush things or pick days to paint it when its not perfect conditions just to get it finished and you will then resent it afterwards that it inst as perfect as it could have been and you will associate it with the bad feelings.

I did exactly the same the year before last on a box art sand scorcher. I spent a whole week on the prep, filling, sanding and priming and more sanding until the base shell was perfect. Then an entire saturday spent on masking all the body scolloped bits, curves and the roof shape etc and did a much better job of that than i expected. Then I rushed the painting of it on the sunday and decals after -  it wasnt perfect, bleeds and slightly misplaced decals that to be honest no one else would notice but i could see them. And then i rushed the gloss clear laquering of it the weekend after just to get it finished. Unfortunately i picked a november day that although dry and bright was too cool and humid. The clear coat didnt gloss at all and went cloudy in places. Its now in a box in the loft and i cant really bear to look at it.

• Like 1

Finished this little restoration. Added the white parts to match the body colours. Was very surprised how soft the white plastic is. 

20201221_184346.jpg

20201221_184435.jpg

20201221_184407.jpg

WFH today so no hour long commute home which was nice and as my slightly bonkers wife decided to do a 3rd high intensity keep fit class online all of a sudden a window of opportunity appeared  for a little Tamiya time 💥

So the HCT got some attention, prepped the wheels for paint, gave the rear indicators and the front disc brakes the 1st coat and also the 1st pass on the tyre lettering. 

Nothing ground breaking, but nice all the same and keeps my hand in👍

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Feeling your pain @Mechanic AH, the VW shell is always worth the effort in the end though.

I’ve been trying to finish of my Sand Scorcher body and has been going great. One of the best finishes I’ve managed to achieve to date. But the last little bits of Chrome detail around the front windows with a Motolow Chrome pen,  not so great. On my 3rd (& hopefully final!!) attempt at them now.

It’s so close to done I could cry not getting this bit right 😂

Haha that's the part! the final leg. The little detail painting has been tough for me as well, probably would be way easier 10 years ago when my hands/fingers were more dextrous. I see dust and lint specs on my primer and I'm worrying about the paint and coat. I really want to avoid wet sanding it. But, good luck with the SS body and can't wait to see the results!

9 hours ago, Superluminal said:

I might be inclined to put it on hold for a couple of months and fettle with some other projects in the mean time until next year whe  the weather gets better. If your already not feeling 100% enthusiastic about working on it you will only rush things or pick days to paint it when its not perfect conditions just to get it finished and you will then resent it afterwards that it inst as perfect as it could have been and you will associate it with the bad feelings.

I did exactly the same the year before last on a box art sand scorcher. I spent a whole week on the prep, filling, sanding and priming and more sanding until the base shell was perfect. Then an entire saturday spent on masking all the body scolloped bits, curves and the roof shape etc and did a much better job of that than i expected. Then I rushed the painting of it on the sunday and decals after -  it wasnt perfect, bleeds and slightly misplaced decals that to be honest no one else would notice but i could see them. And then i rushed the gloss clear laquering of it the weekend after just to get it finished. Unfortunately i picked a november day that although dry and bright was too cool and humid. The clear coat didnt gloss at all and went cloudy in places. Its now in a box in the loft and i cant really bear to look at it.

That gave me something to really think about—like putting it on hold. Tempting but then after a few hours of thinking, I feel I have to gamble this one since I promised myself to only move on to another kit as I finish one. I'm going to take a a little break from hard shell plastic bodies after this one. The good thing about it is I gained a little experience and learned a bit about what it takes.

Sorry to hear about your SS body. I think I would be devastated if that happened to me and I had to box it up. When you say rushed the gloss lacquering, that did you exactly do that you shouldn't have?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mechanic AH said:

Sorry to hear about your SS body. I think I would be devastated if that happened to me and I had to box it up. When you say rushed the gloss lacquering, that did you exactly do that you shouldn't have?

I think I just wanted to get it over and done with so picked a day outside that wasnt ideal for spraying. I dont have a shed or garage to spray in, just a small back yard garden and think that although it was a clear day and not windy it was too cool and damp and even though ivd had good results with clear coat before this looked terrible. It was patchy and slightly clouded in places and didnt go glossy. I think I should have waited a few months until the next spring when it was warmer and the air dryer.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Superluminal said:

I think I just wanted to get it over and done with so picked a day outside that wasnt ideal for spraying. I dont have a shed or garage to spray in, just a small back yard garden and think that although it was a clear day and not windy it was too cool and damp and even though ivd had good results with clear coat before this looked terrible. It was patchy and slightly clouded in places and didnt go glossy. I think I should have waited a few months until the next spring when it was warmer and the air dryer.

That's unfortunate. But if the finishing is the only real issue, have you considered polishing it? With the right grit and some patience, you could maybe get good results

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TanvirQDS said:

Hi wolfdogstinkus, sorry for the late reply, i didnt get the notifications - still new to how the forum works etc - thanks for the link to your  post, so it looks like everyone rips out the all-in-one electrics board an the rest of the electrics and fit in aftermarket stuff? 

I have started to open up the Evo and there doesnt look like anything is wrong with the electrics from a visual, and the servo seems to go in both directions so not sure why the car wouldnt turn left...

It's a nascar?

Do the wheels go left as well? Or only when disconnected from the servo?.

Is there any binding anywhere?

Edited by wolfdogstinkus

Today I tried to fix my boys bicycle light/laser..

It didn't work and I was getting frustrated and starting making it worse.

It's supposed to shine lights from the eyes and mouth, and two lasers onto the road to guide you..

It was only cheap so no problem, but then I thought of something..

High level brake and indicator lights

y5RVSwY.jpg

Or possibly even a bonnet scoop?

me0tJPR.jpgi have 3 LED's fitted in the skull, just need to decide a position and join it to the existing light set up.

• Like 5

Applied some new MCI Decals on the much battered King Blackfoot and replaced the front shocks with oil filled chinese things.

Attempted to fix the diff issue on my Dark Impact, but I have no drive in reverse, so back to the drawing board tomorrow hopefully.

Also fitted front drive shafts to the Blazing Star I acquired a few weeks ago, now she's a perfectly working stock semi-classic.

Hopefully once and for all resolved the issue of my rere monster beetle popping out the right hand side dogbone. I've had a few suggestions on here, did look at restricting the shock travel, but instead opted to fit a shim between on the axle, it appears to be solid and in place, but haven't tested with a battery run yet, was in my mojo fixing stuff.

Also replaced the left side (this time) front upright on the brat. 

Am refurbing an HBX Rival (Baja King), replaced front dog bones, also removed tyres from front wheels ready for some new rubber some time soon, need some new rear shocks as one is completely seized, its been in storage at some guys house for donkey's years, hence I was lucky to get it for only $35NZ a month ago. Rear Wheels are chromed (unlike the Baja King), but the chrome is peeling so I have some replacements coming. The front uprights are the ones on the parts tree for a Baja King, instead of the actual ones sold separately for this model, so have a set coming from Tony EbayUK as well. 

Thoroughly good day in the sunshine with a box of beer and a few Gins later on. Hopefully more of those to come over the next few weeks.

• Like 5