Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Finally got the SCX10 III out and about. Cruised the vegetable garden for a bit

DA76A761-AF0B-4F13-9E57-C9737FCC0726.jpg

need to work on the hi-lo meshing. I did have it all nicely sorted, but after having the gearbox apart to tighten the slipper, it’s not 100%

Might have to wait a while before it sees a proper trail, should give me time to paint the interior though :)

• Like 9

15 hours ago, Ferruz said:

20210117-153529.jpg

Nicely done driver👍🏻, but I can’t but think of an RC Bob sleigh with this photo 😉

It's still a bit too cold to be painting, so I've stalled a bit on a couple of projects I have going for others at the moment. In the meantime I've been sorting through my spares and getting bits ready to sell. I quickly realised that while I was building my Monster Racer I had accumulated rather a lot of duplicate parts, and I wasn't that far off having a complete set! So, well, it was almost rude not to really.... :rolleyes:

The chassis was the first bit to get cleaned up. I had this spare as the it has been cut at the rear to fit a Stealth transmission, so for a shelfer it wasn't going to work, but for this it's perfect. All I did was give it a good clean and tidy up the cuts. Most of the other bits came off the original King Cab I bought, but I've replaced pretty much all the hardware with new.

The bits I was missing were the whole gearbox and plate, driveshafts, hubs, carriers and a few other bits and bobs. A couple of fortuitous listings on ebay popped up and I grabbed them but I was still short of some hub carriers and a gear cover. Then I saw a listing for the little crescent shaped gear plate I needed so grabbed that and soon after got a message from the seller asking if I was after anything else. I asked "what've you got?" to which I got sent a picture of a few madcap/astute/thundershot bits. Scattered in amongst them all was a pair of King Cab rear hubs!! So a deal was done for them and I asked on the off-chance if he had a motor cover. Sure enough he did, but he didn't have the little motor extension so hadn't bothered listing it. Another deal was done and I finally had 95% of everything needed. :) 

So this is as far as I've got for now:

I'm waiting for the driveshafts and hex hubs to arrive and a few E-clips I thought I had but evidently didn't! :rolleyes: I'm going to 3D print some battery holders as I can't find any.

So where does the Super Astute TCC come in all this I hear you cry? Well, old habits die hard you see, and as I was working out what I needed I realised the prices (and availability) of the original transmission was silly, so I took the plunge and bought a complete TCC for it. In the meantime I won the above mentioned listings and ended up with a very nice complete standard transmission. The TCC still hasn't arrived yet (getting a bit worried actually, as it's well over a month now) so the standard one has been refurbed and fitted for now. I got a nice vintage motor for it at the weekend, so that will get married up to the TCC and go in here. 

I have a pair of rear wheels for a King Cab and front wheels for a Monster Racer, so I might freshen them up with a bit of matching paint (which I think might look good with either a King Cab or Monster Racer body) or paint them all red or white. Still undecided on that, and on what body to go for. It was the King Cab I always wanted when I was a kid, but I've got to say the Monster Racer really has stolen the crown now. What do you guys think?

IMG_1728.JPG

IMG_1729.JPG

• Like 6

On 1/18/2021 at 12:32 PM, jonboy1 said:

It's still a bit too cold to be painting, so I've stalled a bit on a couple of projects I have going for others at the moment. In the meantime I've been sorting through my spares and getting bits ready to sell. I quickly realised that while I was building my Monster Racer I had accumulated rather a lot of duplicate parts, and I wasn't that far off having a complete set! So, well, it was almost rude not to really.... :rolleyes:

The chassis was the first bit to get cleaned up. I had this spare as the it has been cut at the rear to fit a Stealth transmission, so for a shelfer it wasn't going to work, but for this it's perfect. All I did was give it a good clean and tidy up the cuts. Most of the other bits came off the original King Cab I bought, but I've replaced pretty much all the hardware with new.

The bits I was missing were the whole gearbox and plate, driveshafts, hubs, carriers and a few other bits and bobs. A couple of fortuitous listings on ebay popped up and I grabbed them but I was still short of some hub carriers and a gear cover. Then I saw a listing for the little crescent shaped gear plate I needed so grabbed that and soon after got a message from the seller asking if I was after anything else. I asked "what've you got?" to which I got sent a picture of a few madcap/astute/thundershot bits. Scattered in amongst them all was a pair of King Cab rear hubs!! So a deal was done for them and I asked on the off-chance if he had a motor cover. Sure enough he did, but he didn't have the little motor extension so hadn't bothered listing it. Another deal was done and I finally had 95% of everything needed. :) 

So this is as far as I've got for now:

I'm waiting for the driveshafts and hex hubs to arrive and a few E-clips I thought I had but evidently didn't! :rolleyes: I'm going to 3D print some battery holders as I can't find any.

So where does the Super Astute TCC come in all this I hear you cry? Well, old habits die hard you see, and as I was working out what I needed I realised the prices (and availability) of the original transmission was silly, so I took the plunge and bought a complete TCC for it. In the meantime I won the above mentioned listings and ended up with a very nice complete standard transmission. The TCC still hasn't arrived yet (getting a bit worried actually, as it's well over a month now) so the standard one has been refurbed and fitted for now. I got a nice vintage motor for it at the weekend, so that will get married up to the TCC and go in here. 

I have a pair of rear wheels for a King Cab and front wheels for a Monster Racer, so I might freshen them up with a bit of matching paint (which I think might look good with either a King Cab or Monster Racer body) or paint them all red or white. Still undecided on that, and on what body to go for. It was the King Cab I always wanted when I was a kid, but I've got to say the Monster Racer really has stolen the crown now. What do you guys think?

IMG_1728.JPG

IMG_1729.JPG

The KC is way cooler, although MR is far prettier.

Looking good already @jonboy1 👍

4 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Nicely done driver👍🏻, but I can’t but think of an RC Bob sleigh with this photo 😉

I just learned about RC boats running on snow... everything is possible 😱🤡

• Like 1

We've been having loads of snow in the past few days, but with pretty mild temperatures so it's all slushy and splotchy. Made for a few good strolls with the truck, the only real danger being unattended, shrieking kids running after it in the park 😓

20210118-115311.jpg

Screenshot-20210116-202118-Video-Player.

20210118-115224.jpg

Milling through the city sludge😁

Screenshot-20210118-114720-Video-Player.

20210118-115247.jpg

• Like 7

5LXkUS4.png

Long day of very hot dirty work, came home to duff starters in my fluorescent tube lights so cooking in the dark today, but I got this 3Racing m05 bumper I bought to see if it fitted my TL01 as I was getting impatient waiting for the proper one. Needs larger foam but I think its a great start! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

I just learned about RC boats running on snow... everything is possible 😱🤡

I just look up in youtube.. wow!! I guess it’s possible to run Rc boats on snow.

Link rc boat on snow

why not, since RC trucks can runs on water as well LOL

8s truck driving on lake

• Like 3

Replaced the front shock tower on my DT-02 (thanks to Tony's Tamiya Parts). In the process, I decided to add a couple of blue bits to the front: 5mm ball connectors and a turnbuckle shaft repurposed as a shock mount brace. 

thumb_IMG-5967_1024.jpg

• Like 3

Frp chassis conversion on the Manta Ray.

From this:

Screenshot_20210112_130313.thumb.jpg.7a0f55a8e6137ff435980ed3b609a39e.jpg

To this:

Screenshot_20210118_213549.thumb.jpg.aa50de83336297ebc52206557179f08e.jpg

• Like 3

I got a bunch of little tiny bits and bobs from the 'bay, which allowed me to progress a lot further on my Super Hotshot build. I actually got it to a point where I ran it in the living room! Very pleased with the results. The turning circle is not fantastic, but I suppose that's due to the vintage design.

I made my own anti-bump-steer by simply extending the steering posts on the hub side with 8mm standoffs; which got the steering rods to be at a much closer angle to the suspension arms.

Only the body left to go (and the front MIP diff, but I want to run it with a rear MIP only and see what difference it makes first).

This post is nothing without pics, so:

IMG-20210119-010500.jpg

IMG-20210119-010548.jpg

IMG-20210119-010608.jpg

IMG-20210119-014801.jpg

Any ideas as to what color I should go for? I want to put the box art stickers on it, so that's something to consider.

• Like 7

I´ve gave the interior a little Paint.

Now its isn`just a black dark Cabin, now you can see a little bit of contrast.

DSC00364.thumb.JPG.cff5d9b961126c743e56b0158a8ab69b.JPG

DSC00365.thumb.JPG.113616823150c74b92a513f969ad5cc7.JPG

• Like 2

Having finished the Chassis build of the Knight Hauler, I took a break from it, went out for some fresh air while Postal Racing before getting back on the treadmill in 2 days after a 2 long week Holiday..

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

made progress on myy M05 ra.

Still waiting on chassis rails and rear suspenion plate.

QdSAxLX.jpg

fitted the esc and reciver, and setup the front steering.

• Like 4

Finally got some decals on youngest Mudlets Vanquish and some shiny new display wheels.

She didn't want the large silver grey parts of the decals as she wanted to keep the shell mostly in the dark gunmetal so I had to carefully cut out the red stripes and apply them. I chose to put them in a non standard position as they didn't look right in the intended location without the silver areas surrounding them. These decals are just some cheap, thick decals I got off ebay. They are fine for a basher buggy though.

The Vanquish is actually my old 90's vintage one, rebuilt to as new last year, fitted with bespoke black CVA shocks (using yellow CVA pistons and valves) and new re-re alloy front hub carriers,  yeah racing alloy hubs. The shell and wing are TBG. It is also now fitted with a sport tuned motor because youngest Mudlet didn't like the Dyna Run Super Touring as it was too fast for her and resulted in too many crashes. She does pretty well with this buggy in the postal racing, especially when running on grass. The dark gunmetal (backed with black) is her 'team' colour, she also now has it on her Aqroshot and her Thundershot.

85243381_vanquish_decals(3).thumb.jpg.517aa02c2262c85ebf70d7dfba29402c.jpg

vanquish_decals (2).jpg

• Like 9

I'm almost done with the 934 Black edition body, I just have to work on the lights and the wheels. I think I'm gonna add the blinkers and keep them always on with this one, it'll bring some color against the black body. I also cleaned this Dyna Run motor which will replace the Sport tuned motor in the Vaillant Porsche, it won't improve the performance but it's somehow "period correct" for this chassis.

9P2r7iN.jpg

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Having finished the Chassis build of the Knight Hauler, I took a break from it, went out for some fresh air while Postal Racing before getting back on the treadmill in 2 days after a 2 long week Holiday..

Loving the music 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Re-Bugged great video as usual.

I'm still trying to do video but have given up for the moment. My phone keeps shutting down after a few mins of video recording outdoors in freezing conditions, editing the footage takes forever and the result is dark and dismal (typical UK winter weather LOL). Think I will wait till warmer weather or when I get a new phone. Your vids look so much cheerier in the sunshine and with the nice soundtrack. :)

Thanks @mud4fun 👍🏻
It may be an Auto Shutdown in your phone settings that makes turn off?

I’m using an iPhone 7, then edit the clips on the Mac’s iMovie. I’ve used most of the music on it now but as the computer is old by today standards it won’t run the newer version. Sometimes the editing is relatively quick and just works out, and other times, not so.

I did have a chuckle with the 2CV’s music though 😂.

A friend of mine uses the ‘Filmora Go’ app for editing  Motorcycle clips to great effect. I might give it look myself.

• Thanks 1

@Re-Bugged Love the 2CV. Out of interest, what are your 'cone' made of? I need to make some like that. I like 'wibbly wobbly' flags on them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

I did have a chuckle with the 2CV’s music though 😂.

It made me smile so much, I was just waiting for the 2CV to park up and break out the picnic with the baguette, Brie and a bottle of a nice vino :lol:

• Haha 3

I've clearly gone bananas. King-sized, yellow...bananas. Last night I noticed a second chance to pull the trigger on an in stock King Yellow for $145~ after reading about how much people love the chassis here. This led me to YouTube where I found all these Japanese videos of the car with the R31House slick tires on them. One thing led to another and now I have an order in at RCmart paying WAYYYY too much shipping for the wheels/tires, 5 bajillion bearings coming from eBay, and a transparent chassis / gearbox with yellow gears. Time to dump some stuff on eBay to balance this one out! :ph34r:

Here's a screenshot of what I'm kinda going for:

bus.PNG.167cb58dc14a6587db7258949173f3b2.PNG

• Like 14