Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I started working on the Turbo Optima, as always, with the body. I might be spoiled by the quality of Tamiya decals, but Kyosho's are just not even close, some of them require an uncomfortable amount of stretching to fit properly, some one-piece decals can only be applied properly by cutting them in two pieces, and the sheer size of the large ones makes it very difficult to avoid air bubbles. I'm contemplating the idea of ordering a spare body and doing a two-tone paint job instead. 

dBGetSg.jpg

• Like 2

This was yesterday. Another beautiful day, sunny but freezing cold -my fingers got cracked as I removed the gloves for driving. I never usually drive the cars in public to avoid possible issues, but got tempted by the paths in the nearby park: all that snow so perfectly compacted... I just couldn't resist so, despite the commandoes of bypassers, kids and dogs of all sizes, I took the Manta Ray out for some speed runs in the snow. It was a lot of fun, although limited by the concern of something happening. Fortunately there was no drama, people talked and asked, dogs barked and hopped, kids ran after ir but the Manta came back all in one piece! Not my cup of tea though, way too much everything, it still feels like I dodged the proverbial bullet so next outings will be in less crowded places just as usual.

Screenshot-20210125-180257-Video-Player.

20210125-180732.gif

20210125-180345.jpg

Screenshot-20210125-180447-Gallery.jpg

• Like 13

Today the Hornet's new chassis arrived, much to my astonishment as I expected at least another month waiting time.

Instead of starting the repair work right away, I thought I'd take the poor Hornet out for yet one more layer of grime, likely the last one before we get all spick and span :P

20210125-180610.jpg

20210125-180622.jpg

Screenshot-20210125-175747-Video-Player.

20210125-180504.jpg

...and now the canandrum: while restoring, do I set it up for some shelf chill time, which it deserves, or do I just keep it on duty as my Number One basher?? I'd usually be more for the latter, but I know that once the brand new chassis is into place, the pretty wheels/tires and body that I keep for display will start calling.... but nah, he'll most likely just keep bashing. Maybe even Round 3 at the skatepark...:lol:

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, berman said:

Went and picked up a non-Tamiya from my LHS... :ph34r:

3jYly7g.jpg

Nice!  I've got a Big Rock waiting for me at my LHS.  Seem to be well reviewed trucks!

• Like 1

It was 40° yesterday, and I woke up this morning and it was 17° and rained solidly for over 7 hours. That sucked, because today is Australia Day, and the boat club was having a special event and sausage sizzle.

The speedboats don't care if it's raining, but the other boats did. Worse still: the Spartan blew up its ESC, so I've ordered 2 new ones from Hobbyking... Many, many dollars. 

@Busdriver speedboats are an expensive niche of the RC world, kind of like 1/5 large scale trucks.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, tamiya3speed said:

Nice!  I've got a Big Rock waiting for me at my LHS.  Seem to be well reviewed trucks!

Nice! Yeah they do, even had a friend suggest a big rock. I am after a Mojave, but only because I can't see any Losi 2.0 SBRs over here and don't want to pay top dollar for a new UDR, and then be fixing it.

46 minutes ago, lsear2905 said:

It was 40° yesterday,

36° here this afternoon, bugga 40°! Happy Oz day 😁

Finished up my Kyosho Big Brute chassis resto. Waiting for warmer weather for body/paint work. Began piecing together a Lunch Box from spares for my daughter.

• Like 1

bench tested the G.T. power sound and light unit for my MAN truck.

I thought it would be a pain to get it working, but it was easy I got every thing working with my 4 channel radiolink wheel radio.

50877861661_330ab72d91_c.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Ferruz said:

20210125-180504.jpg

Of you dont mind, this is my new phone wallpaper :D

where was thos taken? Looks kinda new york

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Like the Bob Dylan (I think it was) cover repurposed in the film Vanilla Sky.

Another great @Ferruz  photo!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Of course I don't mind, go ahead :lol: that is in Montreal, typical back alley scenario. Not that far from NY at least geographically speaking!

• Thanks 1

Did some Rocking around the Christmastree with new 3s Lipo, oh that was Fun! (I programmed ESC to not go over 75% fwd speed, was more than enough and silver cans did not even get hot, but -12 outside)

1456CD3E-AACA-45F3-9D4B-836928A13D5B.jpeg

• Like 4

So a couple of things became apparent when starting my first build since 2018 or thereabouts. 

1. working from home due to covid restrictions meant I had a whole lot of organising and tidying up before I could start. From now on I guess I'll have to make due with one monitor whilst working as the other one got relegated to a storage room. 
2. holy crap how rusty I am! Two hours and I didn't get past step 5. With this pace covid might actually be a thing of the past before I've finished the txt-2. Oh well, building and swearing at Tamiya isn't the worst way to battle a pandemic. 

IMG_3986.jpg

• Like 6

Looking forward to seeing your progress @Robert5000. I still haven’t made it out to the garage to see if I have the servoes for my build...

• Like 1

Almost finished a TB01 

Couple more bits to go but it's complete 👍

IMG_20210126_233112.jpg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, svenb said:

Almost finished a TB01 

Couple more bits to go but it's complete 👍

IMG_20210126_233112.jpg

Very nice Svenb 👍

Finally made it out to the garage and located the ESC and servos for my TXT-2 build.

8D17439D-B881-462A-BF8A-C881869E9725.jpg

Just realised that I forgot to check whether I have the pinions or a Y lead for the servo. D’oh!

Also located the M03 chassis I started building for my wife. Time to make some progress on this.

507961C7-1C5F-42E3-BC5B-9A52DFBCF151.jpg

• Like 3

@Badcrumble - just built txt-2 with 880 Quicrun i think that is just a new version  compared to yours (i was told on this forum) and it works very well (i was also adviced to buy it on this forum as well).

For Servo i have two 25 kg Metal gear as the RC car have some weight, what cind of Servos do you have there?, i used a Y jst cable from Servo`s so i could use only 1 Reciever space and did not have to program ESC/Stick, that worked so well that i leave it this way even if i can program the Stick.

@simalarion it just goes to show how long I've had my TXT-2 unbuilt that my ESC has been replaced by a newer model!

My servoes are 14kg @ 4.8V / 16Kg @ 6V, and are the the next step up from the Alturn AAS-750MG I have seen used in a couple of TXT-1 and TXT-2 builds on here. Hopefully they will be up to the job.

Nipping out to the garage to look and see whether I bought a Y cable a while ago....

EDIT: found a servo splitter but think it is one that reverses direction

Also found a NIP steel 19T pinion - now just need a second one for the TXT

Located the 3mm washers needed for the servo mount on the M03, fitted them

Realised the rear arms have been put on the wrong way round on the M03. 

Jabbed the tip of my finger with the sharp end of a pair of tweezers. Resultant blood flow stopped play.

Edited by Badcrumble
did more stuff today
  • Like 3

Put new bearings in the chubs of my tamiya wt-01, on bearing lost his balls:D and the rest where not so smooth anymore.

Also put in a new hobbywing max 10 esc, to replace the piece of junk trackstar esc that broke the last time I drove the truck, it has not many runs on it before it failed and I had to use a lipo alarm because the lipo cuttof was to low and a lot of times the reverse would not work, from now on I am not going to buy cheap esc's anymore, but only hobbywing esc's never had a problem with them.

50881369882_c954476894_c.jpg

50881370032_0a03b66d09_c.jpg

50881266921_22ec5324a3_c.jpg

• Like 3

Photographed TT02-S, Dual Rider, TT02 high speed gear set and TT02 Sandshaker and put them up for sale

• Like 1