Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Installed the electronics and did some work too on the WO.

OiEfAE4h.jpg

pjxrlWLh.jpg

nxNV4W2h.jpg

i1w7bzih.jpg

EtTdlbNh.jpg

More updates here:

• Like 8

Did a quick stock take as I hadn't updated my lists in a while. Current runner situation is quite good - 3 cars I can stick a battery in and run.

• Hornet, M05-RA Swift and Dual Hunter

It should be more - four cars needs fixing (not big jobs either)

• M04 BMW 2002, ORV Mongrel, TL01 Bowler, Wild Willy 2

However, the nine unfinished projects are getting in the way. The JK trail rig is the main culprit but my XV-01T only needs decals??!!

I need another garage day already....

EDIT: stock take continued into the garage where I located my missing M04 E part sprues, hop-up chassis brace and front damper stay for my M04-RWL conversion. Combined them into my M chassis parts box.

Also turned up a Mustang body, an LRP ESC, some very tidy wheels for a Subaru (which I don't have!) and some uncut shells that ought to be moved to the loft with the others for safekeeping.

Still no sign of the bits for my Outlaw :(.

Decided I really need some small boxes to tidy up screws, etc. I have far too many random cartons with wasted space and no idea what I have!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Still no sign of the bits for my Outlaw :(.

That’s terribly frustrating, the photo of the Gearbox is on page 644 of the postman thread..

I think the other parts are a page or two after.

Did you keep the Outlaw box and put the bits in there by any chance?

Thanks @Re-Bugged, I still have the mahoosive but thin cardboard box for the Outlaw but the bits aren't there. I'm sure they will turn up when I least expect it.

And I have enough to keep me going for a while!

I am pleased I found the M04 body posts as I got them around the same time and had a horrible feeling they were in the same 'safe' place!

• Like 3

Triggered by @Badcrumble (plus an offer from a mate to buy one of his cars (which I had to turn down - you'll see why in a moment)) I too did a stock take, and discovered something really quite shocking.

Since lockdown began, I've somehow managed to increase my collection by 5 new cars......:huh: The weird thing is, I would never have guess that had I not checked. It doesn't feel like my collection has increased that much (although I must say I've run out of shelf space, so that should've been a strong clue!) - and yet I still have plans for another one to get! Well, maybe 2. Three if I can find it at a good pri... ok - I get it now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

FINALLY got my hands on a Wild One re-re.  I had one backordered through Tower last year but they went discontinued and I never got it.  Ebay prices are ridiculous.  Guy on a Tamiya FB group was selling his completely unassembled for $400 shipped within the US.  Grabbed it within minutes.  Comes with a few extra goodies too.  That's about as best a price as I will find until/if they re-re it again.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

FINALLY got my hands on a Wild One re-re.  I had one backordered through Tower last year but they went discontinued and I never got it.  Ebay prices are ridiculous.  Guy on a Tamiya FB group was selling his completely unassembled for $400 shipped within the US.  Grabbed it within minutes.  Comes with a few extra goodies too.  That's about as best a price as I will find until/if they re-re it again.  

Show/share us the build. I just recently got a vintage one from a friend. So happy with this buggy. :)

1 hour ago, Nicadraus said:

Show/share us the build. I just recently got a vintage one from a friend. So happy with this buggy. :)

I will but it might be a little while. Still working on a super astute I got a few weeks ago.  I finally have a backlog of two unbuilt kits.  I have a novafox and now a wild one waiting.  

• Like 1

Have had this kit sitting on a shelf for about a year. Today the fun begins...

A5140231-03EE-4196-B5D1-52CA4888E084.jpeg

• Like 11

This was yesterday.

I had some time to dedicate to RC, so I put it to good use. First off I completed my research and ordered a new servo and a Hobbywing 10BL60 ESC for my Manta Ray, and now there's a package from RCMart on its way. Can't wait to receive it so I can get the Manta back on the road.

Then I put some effort in the facelift of the Hornet's infamous black body shell. This time I really thought it wasn't gonna be worth it, seeing also how hoplessly mangled the wing was, but it turns out the shell did have some life in it still. A cleanup, some smart reinforcements in strategic parts and a few new stickers seem to have done the trick. A few last details and the Hornet will be good to go again!

After that I took off for some rough action with the Boss.

Badlands # 2, it was a tough session! Snow, mud, slush, ice and gravel were all part of the game. Happy to say the truck suffered no damage so if was all fun and no sweat. Hosed down and back on the shell in a matter of minutes, wish I could do the same with the buggies when they get so dirty!

20210319-135546.jpg

20210319-135505.jpg

20210318-162440-1.gif

20210319-140338.jpg

20210319-140355.jpg

20210319-140429.jpg

20210319-140414.jpg

• Like 11

This was today: Hornet reborn and ready to get crazy and airborne again!

Just looking at this guy puts me in a good mood.

I hope to get a first run in later on today or tomorrow

20210319-140516.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Ferruz said:

This was today: Hornet reborn and ready to get crazy and airborne again!

Just looking at this guy puts me in a good mood.

I hope to get a first run in later on today or tomorrow

20210319-140516.jpg

i'm the same my hornet was my first rc witch just happen'd to be a 18th b'day pressy to my self  and i have just decieded to restore it back to kit form 1989 style

• Like 1

I forgot how long the decals on the super astute take! I like the design of the decals but just not keen really on the colour combination so I thought I'd try my own and I move the wing further back 

20210320_161815.jpg

• Like 7

Started cutting cardboard to make bunk beds for soft toy rabbits (don't ask). Popped out to the garage to get my mini clamps and while I was out there I stumbled across my bag of Outlaw mod parts! I'd put them in a shelf I don't normally associate with RC. Right next to the RC. I knew they had to be somewhere!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I took the freshly rebuilt Hornet out for a first spin, eager to see how it feels.

I started with a few speed runs and hey, I forgot how overkill a 15T motor is on the Hornet. Stupidly fast for its handling, keeps me on my toes, I love it :lol: I will definitely go back to the more suitable Sport Tuned when I get into harder jumping sessions again, but for now I'll keep on the HPI for some more speed moves. 

In general the buggy works well and I definitely feel the difference with the new chassis, as the old one was so worn out that every part attached to it had a lot of slop.

Anyway, this is really worth reporting:  I've rebuilt the shocks with very hard oil and it made quite a difference in handling, more than I would have ever expected. I don't wanna sound exaggerated, but I could swear I saw the Hornet actually absorbing a couple of mild jumps rather than just bouncing off forever like Slinky the spring (or, ehm, like any Hornet is expected to do). We'll see if they keep behaving so well, but witnessing the Hornet's shock actually working for once was itself an experience!

You can hopefully get the at least limited bouncing by the GIF image below

20210319-175518-1.gif

20210320-132640.jpg

20210320-132613.jpg

20210320-132726.jpg

20210320-132838.jpg

• Like 6

Told the little man that we'd go to the buggy track today. Well, racing cancelled at the last minute.

So we ran the Javelins around the back yard for a bit, trying out different things. Noticed that one Javelin had broken its rear tire loose from the wheel. Great.

On closer inspection, the universal joint had come loose from the drive. Wonderful. And that happened because  the rear shock was broken. O joy.

Took the buggy into the basement and rebuilt the recalcitrant shock. I was going to do the other for good measure (also because I didn't have factory Kyosho o-rings for the rebuild) but decided not to.

Perhaps this was laziness, but it didn't seem wise to rebuild a working, leak-free shock. Also, because rebuilding shocks is hard enough without a little person to "help". 

Re-assembled the universal joint and re-glued the tire 

• Like 1

Fitted a 33t pinion meshed with the 64t (or 68t) spur that came with the spur adapter. I had to cut a hole on the motor cover and file a bit of plastic in the chassis to make it fit... not a hard task to do, but since I didnt have a rotary tool, i had to be creative with some hand tools... 

YcOBzDt.jpg

ISJBf4i.jpg

PO823O8.jpg

• Like 1

i took my TT02 for a run in the park today for around 40 minutes or so, didnt bring a time piece/phone with me so its a big guess... i ran the M2 body as i dont care if it gets bashed up a bit. there were still too many grit rocks and the pavement cracks made predictability hard to do with all that bouncing. i used the plastic drift tires and the fake tire tread was worn off/destroyed. the majority of the plastic rim remains but a few more runs like that and the tire material will be ready to be replaced. going to have to try the soft rubber tires next.  i need to source some thin rubber mat to place under the battery as the protective shrink got a bit blistered from the run. i will need to regrease the dog bones while im at it and check my steering link to the servo as i used a non stock arm on it. no real damage done other than decent wear on the hard drift tires. i managed to make a few actual brief drifts despite the bad road surface but most of it was spinouts. i understand my TT02 better now as how it turns and handles.

i did see another person in the park with their 1:10 black hard shell Bronco for a bit. it sounded like a nitro and i was sure it was a nitro until he had to change the battery. must have put a sound box on it and some lights. i still prefer taking the slash or a buggy in the park, the TT02's low ground clearance doesnt make the best option on uneven pavement.

Finished building an ECX Amp MT with my 11yo son. It’s his “great swim season” gift. He loved ripping around the neighborhood with it this afternoon. Good times...

Terry

• Like 2

Went to the Hobbyplex and picked up some parts for the Lancia: second foam bumper for the back, aluminum propeller shaft and joints, high speed gear kit, 64t gear, and a new pinion. Going to have to order Universal Joints and oil shocks off eBay.

Pulled my Mad Bull off the shelf and shoved in an 8.4v battery. What a freaking blast that car is with just 1.2v more!

Took the old hg-p407 clone out for a run. Unfortunately, I had a bit of a wreck with it. When I was heading in from the garage, it rolled off a 5 foot shelf landing on its bumper. I’m not sure if anything bent or jarred, but I do know the Coors beer in the driver’s hand came unglued. 😁

ydOJBJn.jpg

P1hOzA9.jpg

• Like 2

With a slight break in the incessant rain we are having here I managed to get a couple of stripes on the Knight Hauler at least. 

Gone for a bit of fade with the Montana Transparent spray.

@jonboy1 used some pretty strong language referring  the word "Epicness" in an earlier post, hope this some way to your expectations mate 😉

RfkrusoaTpm46Sxo4W3Y1g.jpg

fullsizeoutput_132e.jpg

• Like 15

@Re-Bugged that looks great mate. How did you get the fade?

A few weeks ago the Boomerang went nuts, as in steering and drive just completely random. After the thread about why you have cars that don't work I felt guilty and thought I should fix it. It turns out it was the servo. I'm not surprised as it was a very cheap MG995 servo, but I don't know how that causes everything else to go crazy.

Also made the most of the sun and put some beef short ribs on the charcoal kettle. Well worth the wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I masking taped 2 of the edges @Jonathon Gillham(front & top) then the card template along the base has some rolled up tape behind it so its hovering a couple of millimetres away from the body. The Montana spray I used is Transparent as well which helps to. The more you spray on the darker it gets 👍🏻

• Like 1