Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What better way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon than building a cute little SW-01 Lunch Box Mini? I haven't got as far as the body yet, but the chassis was built enough to go for a burn around the kitchen. Surprisingly quick and very twitchy, probably due to ultra-short wheelbase. Wheelies consistently speared left, so the upper link bar hop-up might need some adjusting. It needs more space than the kitchen for tuning. I was using 4xAA nimh for power; the Hobbywing 1060 refused to work with that low voltage, but a Tamiya TEU105 was quite happy with the low voltage. I was surpised that it ran so well on just 4 AAs; I don't think it really needs the power of the lipo I bought for it, it would be a total rocket with 7.4V. Maybe I'll try that when I have a bit more space for running it, once it stops raining.

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

With a slight break in the incessant rain we are having here I managed to get a couple of stripes on the Knight Hauler at least. 

Gone for a bit of fade with the Montana Transparent spray.

@jonboy1 used some pretty strong language referring  the word "Epicness" in an earlier post, hope this some way to your expectations mate 😉

RfkrusoaTpm46Sxo4W3Y1g.jpg

fullsizeoutput_132e.jpg

Meh....

:P:wub::wub::wub: Love it mate!!!! It is now oozing splendiferousness ;) 

• Like 2

I took the terra scorcher put and whizzed it around the street yesterday in between the rugby on the telly, fitted a 14t pinion and had another go, then this morning I flipped the B8 part to get some rear toe in and fitted it with the suspension pin set I have had knocking around for about a year rather than make the fresh holes sad with the screw pivots. Had another hoon around in the street and I'm not sure it's improved cornering much, but it was nice to have a fiddle. Went in the loft and found the thicker pre load collars as I noticed it bottoming out when hopping off of kerbs etc. Might need to rebuild the rear shocks rather than stiffening the springs but it'll be interesting to see how it goes now.

Off to feed cows and cut up a tree this afternoon.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

With a slight break in the incessant rain we are having here I managed to get a couple of stripes on the Knight Hauler at least. 

Gone for a bit of fade with the Montana Transparent spray.

@jonboy1 used some pretty strong language referring  the word "Epicness" in an earlier post, hope this some way to your expectations mate 😉

RfkrusoaTpm46Sxo4W3Y1g.jpg

fullsizeoutput_132e.jpg

i can see the green in the blue on the fender and i know that colour is gonna pop when clear coated and in the sun.

i like the fade very much it coming on very nice 

one thing i would love to do is a HHA colour scheme he has very nice painted trucks.

i do have the old shell from my grand hauler when the paint cracked i could have a go at striping and use that

• Thanks 1

Today was a roly poly kind of day. 

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148862b47803a1a19ba2ec4

Heavy Dump style

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

I washed the desert slash body yesterday, its ready for madking and tape. I put some amazon packing plastibubble bags to use on my TT02 battery tray, I haven't found a thin rubber mat yet but I remember having some a long time ago. The bumpy run I made yesterday was trying to tear at the protective battery film. Will try to find better rubber option for that which accommodates the tray on the chassis.

I plan on taking the slash out for a run today with the she'll it came with. 

Had a little time this evening so shimmed the Terra Scorcher axles with 0.3mm shims, still a bit of flop, but significantly less than there was. Think I might get some 3mm i/d shims and work around the suspension to try to make it a little less flappy. Might charge it up and have a little waft around with it again tomorrow. 

Anyone successfully stopped the wing rubbing the body? The shell doesn't fit that well with the driver/dust cover on but I don't want to remove it.

2021-03-21_06-47-03

• Like 1

Had a blast today, took the slash to the park and found a good area of dried grass and dead leaves to let it rip on.  It went pretty well on that terrain. The rest had snow or was too wet to bother with. I continued on along the pedestrian road and found some one to race :). AA family of Asian descent walking in the park, their 3 kids saw my road and really liked it. They were using those push scooters, I raced them a bit and they had fun at the same time. The area they/we happened to be was narrow and busy enough where I didnt have great areas to really go ful speed but I found a few areas to drive past them :).  They seemed to enjoy it alot and so did i. I actually had to carry the slash back as the 3000MAH battery was almost dead when we parted ways and the last 2km i had to walk back. 

• Like 1

Finally scored a Turbo Optima and assembled it over the rainy weekend.  Next is paint and awaiting a motor to arrive in the mail today. (hopefully)

TurboOptima.jpg

TurboOptima1.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Killajb said:

Finally scored a Turbo Optima and assembled it over the rainy weekend.  Next is paint and awaiting a motor to arrive in the mail today. (hopefully)

TurboOptima.jpg

TurboOptima1.jpg

Very nice @Killajb. Just started a Turbo Optima myself. Curious to know what diff oil weight you used? Also what motor are you using? Thanks!

• Like 2

so i just finished working on the TT02, the dog bones and related areas got a bit dusty from that run in the park. i removed the top screws of the suspension to clean and lube the bones and oiled the 4 bearings on the diffs. i took off the 4 wheels and greased the outer bearing also. i just let the oil seep into the the bearings for a bit and reinstalled the wheels. now i need to source some more grease for the dog bones as im almost out. any suggestions? i believe its ceramic grease but not completely sure.

• Like 1

Soldered some IC3 connectors on my tt02s since almost all my batteries are ec3. As soon as I have the time I’m gonna see how well they do in the racing by post. Also started building some racks to hold most my cars to prevent tire flat spots, and make them more accessible.

45722466-143D-4525-8D30-8A14FB9DF305.jpeg

5A4512AA-AE53-4AA5-838F-8E89D41C786E.jpeg

• Like 6

Took the Flying Brick out to see if I could break it's record speed run and all I did was break the chassis. I think it's retired from speed runs now, time to move onto building another Tamiya to go 5 times faster than it was ever intended...

And the end result...

IMG_20210321_185554.jpg

• Sad 1

I spent this weekend rebuilding my childhood Hotshot. It was very dusty and very dirty. But this is long overdue.FF2AE9A6-09CC-469D-9D81-A57146CFBF59.thumb.jpeg.2306ac8fccc7659e35c9d37b134698a9.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, nel33 said:

so i just finished working on the TT02, the dog bones and related areas got a bit dusty from that run in the park. i removed the top screws of the suspension to clean and lube the bones and oiled the 4 bearings on the diffs. i took off the 4 wheels and greased the outer bearing also. i just let the oil seep into the the bearings for a bit and reinstalled the wheels. now i need to source some more grease for the dog bones as im almost out. any suggestions? i believe its ceramic grease but not completely sure.

Best to run dogbones dry. Grease just attracts dust and turns into grinding paste. A plastic-safe dry lube such as that designed for bicycle chains is a far better solution. 

• Like 1

@Room335:

I opted to use Tamiya anti-wear grease in the diffs instead of filling with oil.  Reasoning was that the gear differentials are very similar to the gear diff used in the Tomahawk and I liked the feel I got from using anti-wear grease in that one.  We'll see..   I'm running this motor:  http://www.gforce-hobby.jp/products-en/G0150.html  and this esc https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/quicrun-10bl120-esc?variant=2139725987868.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Best to run dogbones dry. Grease just attracts dust and turns into grinding paste. A plastic-safe dry lube such as that designed for bicycle chains is a far better solution. 

Thank you for the reply, running it in the park is a bit of a dusty area it seems. Its more fun to run the slash in the park due to versatility. Hopefully sone clean indoor track will open up soon, it's currently closed due to restrictions...

Stayed up past my bedtime wrenching on my TT-02. Installed the Aluminum Propeller Shaft and High-Speed Gear Hop-Ups, swapped in a 64T Spur and a 28T Pinion. Rebuilt the diffs with more lube. Straightened everything up and put her back on the shelf. Servo, radio, and batteries next. Oh, and the dreaded first body painting experience.

163136941_10223180536455475_7288813914484567121_o.jpg

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Killajb said:

@Room335:

I opted to use Tamiya anti-wear grease in the diffs instead of filling with oil.  Reasoning was that the gear differentials are very similar to the gear diff used in the Tomahawk and I liked the feel I got from using anti-wear grease in that one.  We'll see..   I'm running this motor:  http://www.gforce-hobby.jp/products-en/G0150.html  and this esc https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/quicrun-10bl120-esc?variant=2139725987868.  

Thanks for the reply @Killajb. I previously ordered some 7k and 10k diff oil. Honestly for my purposes, I'm not sure I would even notice a difference in grease vs. oil...but I wanted to get it right (or at least close) on the first try!

Looks like a good choice for motor. I have a Hobbywing 10.5T 3600kV laying around. Do you think that motor would be too hot for the Turbo Optima?

We turned on the TV to watch a movie yesterday evening and on Discovery channel they were broadcasting something called BattleBots 2020 World Championship, I totally forgot about that robot wars thing! Both my wife and I got fascinated and ended up watching the whole thing instead of the movie, and we laughed so hard!! It's real fun and quite impressive to watch, I guess that's one of the most extreme ways to enjoy RC! The ultimate bashers no doubt :lol: a team from New Zealand won just for the record.

I suggest watching some if you get the chance, it's really hilarious 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferruz said:

We turned on the TV to watch a movie yesterday evening and on Discovery channel they were broadcasting something called BattleBots 2020 World Championship, I totally forgot about that robot wars thing! Both my wife and I got fascinated and ended up watching the whole thing instead of the movie, and we laughed so hard!! It's real fun and quite impressive to watch, I guess that's one of the most extreme ways to enjoy RC! The ultimate bashers no doubt :lol: a team from New Zealand won just for the record.

Been watching a lot of Battlebots lately.  Really entertaining and to your point, the ultimate bashers!

9 hours ago, Ferruz said:

I've followed that show for a long time. I love the series and I recently found it very therapeutic. If you are ticked off that you broke your RC kit or something related to it the just watch a few BB fights. You see the damage they take and it's likely not as expensive or serious as your kit. Son of Whyachi, Hydra are my favs in that series. One of the older fights with Son of Whyachi vs End game was rather short...

I took a few runs with the Hornet in the mess of the snowmelt these days. Water, mud and sludge added to the melting snow are a bit hard on the car, but it's worth the time spent cleaning afterwards. Can't wait for some more forgiving terrain conditions though

20210322-202457.jpg

20210322-005107.jpg

20210322-005024.jpg

Screenshot-20210322-172019-Video-Player.

20210322-202532.jpg

20210322-203932.jpg

• Like 12