Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a bunch of spent spray can caps and unused screws from decades of building Tamiya RC's so from time to time I make these screw driver cradles so that I can stand the driver while with one hand place a screw on the tip without taking my other hand off my RC model.  I just pour glue onto the loose screws to keep them in place in the cap.  Works great.

IMG_Mar272021at123845PM.thumb.jpg.88763a1155f6b7f6562439e86ea761fa.jpg

Cut the body out on my over priced super hotshot the original one was painted in TS paint and backed with TS black so obviously it's just flaking off and it was very badly cut out! What I've spent on this I could have bought two new kits? (Well almost) I'm going to look in my paint collection but I think I already know what colour I'm going for!

20210327_173602.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, moffman said:

Cut the body out on my over priced super hotshot the original one was painted in TS paint and backed with TS black so obviously it's just flaking off and it was very badly cut out! What I've spent on this I could have bought two new kits? (Well almost) I'm going to look in my paint collection but I think I already know what colour I'm going for!

20210327_173602.jpg

How much did you pay ?

53 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

How much did you pay ?

I paid €295 + p&p from Europe which I think all in is about £260ish and then new wheels tyres body decals new esc don't go on Ebay when you've had a bit to much of the alcoholic beverages it's an expensive mix!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, moffman said:

I paid €295 + p&p from Europe which I think all in is about £260ish and then new wheels tyres body decals new esc don't go on Ebay when you've had a bit to much of the alcoholic beverages it's an expensive mix!

Holy smokes ! Was the SHS new ? I was lucky to get mine for about $200 USD brand new few years ago. Been close to selling it a few times but have decided against it each time lol

7 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Holy smokes ! Was the SHS new ? I was lucky to get mine for about $200 USD brand new few years ago. Been close to selling it a few times but have decided against it each time lol

Yeah new built (but not very well at all) I think they parted out a lot of the super hotshot bits on it and put hotshot parts in its place? But I suppose it's the enjoyment of bringing it back to mint condition! I spent an absolute fortune on rebuilding my topforce evolution probably way more than its ever going to be worth but I've never regretted that!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, moffman said:

Yeah new built (but not very well at all) I think they parted out a lot of the super hotshot bits on it and put hotshot parts in its place? But I suppose it's the enjoyment of bringing it back to mint condition! I spent an absolute fortune on rebuilding my topforce evolution probably way more than its ever going to be worth but I've never regretted that!

Right on man! Here’s mine. Certainly an interesting build. Sucks having to take apart the top chassis cover to get to electronics so mainly a shelfer for me. 

020E7C3B-8FF6-480D-80A4-2EADA7FC7683.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very sexy car rwordenjr!  I too had one back in the day and painted mine black.  

Okay so Take2 on my switch swap.   This 1060 is for my shelf-queen/mild  runner Bruiser re-release I will be building later in the year.  It has the same rubber switch grommet as my Willy's.  I know for certain the TBLE02S switch length works with these grommets so that is my gauge.  I just make it taller a few more mm for easier on/off action.

This one turned out straight.  I also got these slide switches from RadioShack (LOL they still exist?!) for future switch swaps.    

IMG_Mar272021at55921PM.jpg.193426dc7420e1bec8c17afb57db1614.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Very sexy car rwordenjr!  I too had one back in the day and painted mine black.  

Okay so Take2 on my switch swap.   This 1060 is for my shelf-queen/mild  runner Bruiser re-release I will be building later in the year.  It has the same rubber switch grommet as my Willy's.  I know for certain the TBLE02S switch length works with these grommets so that is my gauge.  I just make it taller a few more mm for easier on/off action.

His one turned out straight.  I also got these slide switches from RadioShack (LOL they still exist?!) for future switch swaps.    

IMG_Mar272021at55921PM.jpg.193426dc7420e1bec8c17afb57db1614.jpg

Thanks ! This is it with the actual SHS body. And how hard was it to do that switch mod ?

1281BC98-1CD0-4CE8-9F37-348D60697DB7.jpeg

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Right on man! Here’s mine. Certainly an interesting build. Sucks having to take apart the top chassis cover to get to electronics so mainly a shelfer for me. 

020E7C3B-8FF6-480D-80A4-2EADA7FC7683.jpeg

Very nice indeed👍 yeah my one has been sitting on the shelf and I have no plans on using it!

51 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Thanks ! This is it with the actual SHS body. And how hard was it to do that switch mod ?

1281BC98-1CD0-4CE8-9F37-348D60697DB7.jpeg

Nice~!!  That is awesome.

The switch mod is easy.  I found it easier to do taking the actual switch out of its plastic housing, bridge it over my vise on the workbench, slightly clamp it down to hold it in place, and just drill it (I used a pick tool to poke a little hole in the center for guiding the drill bit).   I don't have a drill press so it's all free hand and thus it's not super accurate by any means..

Today was incredibly humid and wet, but I had time for RC and the Hornet was feeling in particularly good shape.

It got repeatedly soaked in slush, mud and even water but no damage fortunately, just a lot of fun. Ran three batteries throughout the day. I like the new Hobbywing 1060 a lot, it's just fine for my use (and waterproof)

20210327-180417.jpg

20210327-180545.jpg

20210327-180441.gif

20210327-180349.jpg

20210327-180109.jpg

20210327-162017-1.gif

20210327-171202.jpg

20210327-193514.jpg

Screenshot-20210327-174855-Video-Player.

20210327-180747.jpg

• Like 13

8 hours ago, berman said:

Maybe time to squirrel away for another second hand slash?

Unfortunately that's not in my books, I got proline trenchers coming in relatively soon and a battery ordered. A LCG tray is somewhere in the medium term future for the slash but I'm just content having fun with its stock stuff. I had a full metal gear steering servo for it but it's now earmarked for the TD.  If there is anything I will spend my acorns on, it would be a vintage Manta chassis or a TA01/TA02 should I find the right deal. I want my Depth charge err Manta Ray but nothing is reasonable these days... The slash is good but it's size makes sto5age space interesting...

We did have a true shelf queen back in the day, a sprint dirt racer RC car. It didn't have a radio and back then I just thought the weight and sproingy metal stick was just for fun. Now I know it had something to do with a RC transmitter. It was a yellow body with silver or grey huge deck wing on top and one on the front end. I didnt like it's huge spoiler back in the day, still don't but it's a RC regret I just realised I might have. It was a hard body and I'm sure my mom tossed or gave it away long ago. I hope she gave it to an RC fan who put it to use... I'm 95% sure its gone as I remember seeing it stored away long ago then remembering that we got rid of it later on. It could've made for an interesting (butt fugly IMO) restoration project these days.

4 minutes ago, nel33 said:

please delete, tablet super annoying...

I finished my LunchBox Mini today, just had the stickers to complete it. It's a cute little kit, and small enough that I can make a decent enough track for it in our kitchen.

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

• Like 5

Picked up an 8th scale ebuggy for my son. Bought from a friend so got a good deal so met him at a different track than nornal. My son is only 7 and came last of 10 but it was close, he could've challenged for places 6 - 10 and it was his first time running an ebuggy, new track and i turned epa down to 50%. He won kids class by 2 laps though

Best result was his mum agreeing to get the new buggy, I can run 8th nitro now

• Like 5

Finally finished my over priced super hotshot! done the new body in tamiya PS13 gold which bears no resemblance to the actual colour on the lid but I'm liking it......not what I had in my head but equally as nice I was going for a bit more subtle!

20210328_140052.jpg

• Like 6

Hi,

This a Rising Fighter I've built with my son. In hindsight we could have bought a much better car for the money we've spent, but where's the fun in that? 

Original car.

20210324_191734.thumb.jpg.26fb89e9363733b3f8f49436870a6d1a.jpg

We've fitted oil dampers and the Ampro suspension mods and transmission brace. Changed the wheels, tyres and upgraded to a Superstock BZ motor with 19 tooth steel pinion. 

20210328_125959.thumb.jpg.fe30c69ec79e351f1a94114f1b919f3e.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

• Like 8

This was Thursday but went for a little bash with my daughter at the old coal mine/washery and had a lovely time pottering around the place! I had my Lumchbox and she had Kumamon.

Should have tidied up the stray rocks etc before we started going up and down the old capped mine shaft though because I drove straight into a rock and cracked my front suspension arm 🤦‍♂️🤣 it's only a 3d printed arm but it's held up brilliantly until now, I can't blame it for losing a fight with a rock. 

It was just really nice for it to be dry enough to go out and drive around in the dirt and kick up dust without dealing with mud splattered over everything. Looks like the weather is finally improving.

Got a little bit of video, nothing special just some random shots. My kid chose the music 😅

Can't wait to get out again now.

Will tidy some of the stray rocks up next time too and maybe pick some litter. The local community group has been hard at work down there cutting back all the foliage and sweeping to reveal all the old roads, paths and building foundations etc so people can get a glimpse of history so it's a great spot for RCs at the moment. Naturally teenagers tend to gather anywhere slightly out of the way though so there's always tons or rubbish laying around so I think next time we'll gather some of it up and do our part.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Woody1545 said:

Hi,

This a Racing Fighter I've built with my son. In hindsight we could have bought a much better car for the money we've spent, but where's the fun in that? 

Original car.

20210324_191734.thumb.jpg.26fb89e9363733b3f8f49436870a6d1a.jpg

We've fitted oil dampers and the Ampro suspension mods and transmission brace. Changed the wheels, tyres and upgraded to a Superstock BZ motor with 19 tooth steel pinion. 

20210328_125959.thumb.jpg.fe30c69ec79e351f1a94114f1b919f3e.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

Love it. Looks like a mean machine!

I bought this factory painted WW2 body a while back and the driver figure bothered me as it is unfinished.

So I gave Willy some brows, better eyes, some blush on the cheek, wear on the suit, gloves, boot, and painted the buckles.

LEFT (Before)  / RIGHT (After)   Honestly I should've filed off the parting lines and spent a bit more time on it..but oh well.  Placed on my GF01 chassis.

image.png.1bec5b694c83c0bbfa837c672a7861c9.png

1931010565_GF01WW2.thumb.jpeg.ff58863dd557e32e19da34aeb04af434.jpeg

• Like 7

Weather finally got a lil warm, so I had to take the chance to work on the Superchamp body. A couple of years ago Nelson @Cooltoys sent me this fantastic Fighting buggy bodyshell to work on replacing the body of my original Superchamp.

As you'll see in the pictures below, it took me some serious elbow grease to remove the moldlines off of the body. This is something I'm not fond of in the new bodyshells Tamiya is making. The moldlines are noticeable more pronounced than before. And oh, I don't like them! Also, I had to correct the mods Tamiya made to the body to make it look more like the original. Pictures below:

The body all worked up. I've decided against using primer this time. I've noticed primer kind of takes away the final shine on hardbodies. But that's just my feeling about it.

DYQp4WN.jpg

That's all the material I removed off the new shell. I hate moldlines, tube frames must be perfect! Also, what about that stupid squarish angle Tamiya changed the original sides with? No! That had to be worked on to make it good. See:

O2x9aAl.jpg

And here finally the Tamiya TS-54 sprayed to it properly. I'm absolutely loving it! :wub:

3mXAiUq.jpg

Decals will be applied sometime later. In the meantime I'm enjoying the look of this beautiful body with this nifty color!

o04jsAh.jpg

That's for now. :)

Y'all stay safe and have a good week!!

• Like 16

21 hours ago, nel33 said:

Unfortunately that's not in my books, I got proline trenchers coming in relatively soon and a battery ordered. A LCG tray is somewhere in the medium term future for the slash but I'm just content having fun with its stock stuff. I had a full metal gear steering servo for it but it's now earmarked for the TD.  If there is anything I will spend my acorns on, it would be a vintage Manta chassis or a TA01/TA02 should I find the right deal. I want my Depth charge err Manta Ray but nothing is reasonable these days... The slash is good but it's size makes sto5age space interesting...

We did have a true shelf queen back in the day, a sprint dirt racer RC car. It didn't have a radio and back then I just thought the weight and sproingy metal stick was just for fun. Now I know it had something to do with a RC transmitter. It was a yellow body with silver or grey huge deck wing on top and one on the front end. I didnt like it's huge spoiler back in the day, still don't but it's a RC regret I just realised I might have. It was a hard body and I'm sure my mom tossed or gave it away long ago. I hope she gave it to an RC fan who put it to use... I'm 95% sure its gone as I remember seeing it stored away long ago then remembering that we got rid of it later on. It could've made for an interesting (butt fugly IMO) restoration project these days.

I was thinking it would be a small price to pay get your brother into it... and then you have something else to bond over. 🙂

• Like 1