Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Ferruz said:

While the Manta Ray is all ready to go and awaiting adventure, I kept choosing the Hornet this last couple days for a carefree after-work run. If it tumbles, I don't cringe!

The crappy park around the corner, usually unsuitable for RC, has proved to be a great spot for running in this window between snowmelt and the grass growing back. Dust, dirt and even some sand are present at that spot, along with the usual bunch of furry spectators. A squirrel actually chased after the Hornet yesterday and then I chased it back, it got so hilarious I had to stop driving for a moment

20210407-193623.jpg

Screenshot-20210403-192528-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20210403-192059-Video-Player.

20210407-193534.jpg

20210407-193952.jpg

20210407-193726.jpg

LOL, i think you now need to make mods to the hornet to climb trees... that sounded like an epic run.

• Like 1

There should be a huge Bronze Statue of your Hornet in the the Town Square by now @Ferruz 👍🏻 Preferably of it airborne 😉 

• Haha 2

A clear coat kind of day today. There are a couple of little blemishes but it is time to move on with it now.

8317412A-525B-451D-94D4-9A7A05F56078.jpg

• Like 7

took the time to actually make progress on the tt02 just now. the less than smooth road was too bumpy for the battery pack. the sealed edges were getting a bit damaged, scrapes on the plastic protective wrap. an amazon bubble pack was a stand in while i figured out a solution. i didnt find any rubber mat that was thin enough until i notice my tool box at work has rubber mats i put in long ago. its a parralel line pattern of raised ridges. the ridges were too high for the battery clearance hold down but the ridges were cut with a razor knife very easily. with the ridges gone it fits perfectly and the rubber will protect the battery and absorb a bit more shock.  it beats the heck out of the plastic ridges of the tray itself from making tooo much vibrational contact with a charged battery pack. 

After dinner, I took the SCX24 mini out for crawl on some landscape rocks behind the chapel I live near 

When I came back in from that my wife was asking me to throw a battery in the King Yellow for her ( and I put another pack in my Kumamon Tractor ).

so all together 3 battery packs run through on a weeknight. 
Sorry I have a pic of the Axial but none of the Tamiyas.

80ADD0E8-353C-403E-94F3-17F241A756A7.jpeg

• Like 4

Bench test of the latest arrival, TT02. 

Screenshot_20210408_140838.thumb.jpg.ea6cc72bbb035829cfde2342126e8bf8.jpg

Not sure how something so relatively new has acquired so much dust but it works so that's something

Had a little drift around the kitchen too, don't tell Mrs Li :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Getting closer on the load bed cover for the JK Jeep

DSC_05952.jpg

That's looking really good mate!! :)

15 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

Agreed.  Looks good!  

For me I started painting Willy's face and sanded, glued the torso arms on my jig M38 body.   I am supposed to get the old chassis later this morning, so I hope to finish Willy's head before I head out to my garage to take the old chassis apart.  I just have a lot more clean up gear in my garage as I also work on real cars. 

IMG_Apr82021at95103AM.jpg.8cc0ad7993669463c37b3576623f6982.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

Thanks! Every time I think I have it sorted, more trimming is required!

Next up is to re-check the fit of the plasticard base and see if I need to add some edge trim. Then superglue the boards to the base.

Maybe some matte varnish to take the shine off.

On 4/4/2021 at 8:53 PM, Aerobert said:

Cut the Audi V8 body shell which I've got for my birthday some weeks ago and sanded the edges. Turned out pretty good I think. Maybe tomorrow I will mask it. 

Show us this beauty! 

Prepare for one of my meandering life novellas....

This was the other day but it still counts, right?

The weather was pleasant so I decided to go out and get some video of my Lunchbox.

One of the former colliery and washery sites in the valley I live in has recently had a load of clearance work on overgrown bushes and trees so all the old roads and paths etc are nice and clear and because the new regrowth hasn't really started yet, it's about the best time to bash down there.

It started off really well and I got some cool slow motion shots driving through water. So far, so good!

I proceeded to use my head mount for my phone and got a little bit of nice footage of the van scooting about so feeling encouraged, I started to turn up the wick with my driving. I really pushed the little van to it's limits, making the most of the suspension mods to really throw it around the place.

After a while I developed a nice flow to the driving, getting to know where I could floor it and when to ease off, sliding on the dirt and hitting the throttle so hard it would rear up onto the back wheels coming out of the corners, finding the things I could jump over and actually remain upright when landing which is an achievement even for a modded lunchbox.  I began to drive up onto the capped off mine shaft and do drop off jumps back off it straight into the dirt to make glorious rooster tails etc.

I managed to get almost 15 minutes of glorious action on camera....except I didn't.

That's the problem with head mounts. If you get them angled right, you get a nice stable view with the subject nearly always centred because your head is inherently good at tracking stuff.

But if you get the angle wrong, you end up with 15 minutes off footage of the floor 😱😱😱😭

Somehow the phone must have slipped downward a few degrees or something so I got the initial little cautious run but 99% of the cool stuff was missed!

After I realised my mistake, I started again but with crushing predictability, this time I suffered a tumble about 2 minutes in which resulted in a small breakage that ended the run.

I still got some nice footage, which you may enjoy, but I'm dying inside knowing I got even better and it was all slightly out of frame 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I think the most painful part is walking around looking like a knob with a phone on my head for 15 minutes with nothing to show for it

The weather should be nice again at the weekend so I'm going to try and go back to finish the job. This time I'll be using my old phone as a bluetooth monitor to make sure the filming phone is actually lined up properly lol. Knowing my luck, I'll never be able to replicate that epic run, though! 

So anyways, here's some of the footage I did manage to get. I haven't published this video because I will try and get more footage at the weekend and re-edit but here's a sneak peek I guess!

• Like 10

Painted/decorated a new body for my sand viper. I think it needs something for the number plates and headlights and wish I'd left the rear arches a bit bigger but generally pretty happy with it.

IMG_20210408_155053_compress30.jpg

IMG_20210408_154954_compress0.jpg

IMG_20210408_155003_compress68.jpg

• Like 3

Got my 1st Covid shot today as one of the “leftovers” from the local hospital that I had been going to for the antibiotics the last 6 weeks.  My next one is scheduled for, of all the possible days, May the 4th🤔😅

• Like 2

Painted Willy's head, will matte out the helmet tomorrow and finish his suit in a light sand/drab camo.  I didn't get a chance to work on the chassis today.. 

IMG_Apr82021at54022PM.thumb.jpg.e544d272cf0f316af90b7a426092e865.jpg

• Like 4

Partway through stripping the TT02, getting ready for the Gazoo. Possibly :unsure:

Screenshot_20210409_003710.thumb.jpg.b93d765628592451def545296ed35d2d.jpg

• Like 1

I apparently forgot how my Traxxas charger works... i usually chargd the battery asap when i get back but didnt last time i used it. I plugged it in today for a few seconds and saw a green light flash and disconnected it. When i got to the park it gave 1 speed jump then slowed to a crawl... I didnt actually charge it... The green light flashes 1-4 times for progress and that always takes a few seconds for me to remember each time i charge it. I still got the equivalent of a good walk before getting to the park so it wasnt a waste. Got some good shopping done, masking tape and small roke of fiber tape to ensure i have enough for the RX7 body, sandslash and upcoming TD.

10 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

Prepare for one of my meandering life novellas....

This was the other day but it still counts, right?

The weather was pleasant so I decided to go out and get some video of my Lunchbox.

One of the former colliery and washery sites in the valley I live in has recently had a load of clearance work on overgrown bushes and trees so all the old roads and paths etc are nice and clear and because the new regrowth hasn't really started yet, it's about the best time to bash down there.

It started off really well and I got some cool slow motion shots driving through water. So far, so good!

I proceeded to use my head mount for my phone and got a little bit of nice footage of the van scooting about so feeling encouraged, I started to turn up the wick with my driving. I really pushed the little van to it's limits, making the most of the suspension mods to really throw it around the place.

After a while I developed a nice flow to the driving, getting to know where I could floor it and when to ease off, sliding on the dirt and hitting the throttle so hard it would rear up onto the back wheels coming out of the corners, finding the things I could jump over and actually remain upright when landing which is an achievement even for a modded lunchbox.  I began to drive up onto the capped off mine shaft and do drop off jumps back off it straight into the dirt to make glorious rooster tails etc.

I managed to get almost 15 minutes of glorious action on camera....except I didn't.

That's the problem with head mounts. If you get them angled right, you get a nice stable view with the subject nearly always centred because your head is inherently good at tracking stuff.

But if you get the angle wrong, you end up with 15 minutes off footage of the floor 😱😱😱😭

Somehow the phone must have slipped downward a few degrees or something so I got the initial little cautious run but 99% of the cool stuff was missed!

After I realised my mistake, I started again but with crushing predictability, this time I suffered a tumble about 2 minutes in which resulted in a small breakage that ended the run.

I still got some nice footage, which you may enjoy, but I'm dying inside knowing I got even better and it was all slightly out of frame 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I think the most painful part is walking around looking like a knob with a phone on my head for 15 minutes with nothing to show for it

The weather should be nice again at the weekend so I'm going to try and go back to finish the job. This time I'll be using my old phone as a bluetooth monitor to make sure the filming phone is actually lined up properly lol. Knowing my luck, I'll never be able to replicate that epic run, though! 

So anyways, here's some of the footage I did manage to get. I haven't published this video because I will try and get more footage at the weekend and re-edit but here's a sneak peek I guess!

That was a brilliant bit of video - and driving! Your Lunchie really goes well!!

14 hours ago, BJoe76 said:

Got my 1st Covid shot today as one of the “leftovers” from the local hospital that I had been going to for the antibiotics the last 6 weeks.  My next one is scheduled for, of all the possible days, May the 4th🤔😅

May The 4th be with you ! 

Last night, I helped my partner wire up the electronics in her Euro Truck. When the throttle finally started working, it was very much a Frankenstein moment. Even with the wheels in the air, held aloft by a stand, it was exciting to watch it whir away. I cannot wait to get my own car running, now. 

My work became a tidal wave yesterday so could not get much RC stuff done.  However this morning I finished the new Willy figure.  I hope to have some time to inspect and disassemble the used LWB Willy later today that has been standing by..

IMG_Apr92021at104208AM.thumb.jpg.2f9f814af00f86eeb8cb702b5646141f.jpg

• Like 8

Stripped and cleaned the dusty TT02, ready for the rebuild. 

Before. 

Screenshot_20210408_140838.thumb.jpg.c2859e3d1889ea00f1aef874aa99fc2c.jpg

After. 

Screenshot_20210409_165848.thumb.jpg.e004fb4b1421add96747791753781b52.jpg

• Like 9

made a start on the original manta ray resto today 

got the front and rear gearbox's ... a and b parts tree deliverd this week

ordered a tun of screws will need to order more 

ordered ball race set for it 

ordered tamiya hop-up hex's

ordered 3mm o rings

need to order uprights d parts and e parts when they come available

gonna keep the bath tub chassis

made a start on the metal parts with the autosol  cleaned and re greased the front gear diff

• Like 3

Finished the TT02, I have a couple of these, doesn't everybody?? so I've donated a Ferrari 599x (I think) body to this chassis as I'm gonna keep the Yaris for my TT02 Rally car. 

For how dusty It was when I got it, it was pretty mint underneath once cleaned. 

Screenshot_20210409_225208.thumb.jpg.f000abe88b4673f49d0736be5b6c1275.jpg

Screenshot_20210409_225242.jpg.5e74b85b62dcc360769e04fd54d888de.jpg

Coming to the TC for sale page near you soon :)

• Like 4