Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

If matte bothers you, I'd ask your wife or girl if you can borrow her nail polish clearcoat.   Should work just fine.  

I too like side mirrors on my m-chassis! (mine are all Mini Coopers). 

thanks, sounds like a great idea. I didnt thought about that in the first place.

:D The black is also matte revell SM302. I might put a clear coat over the red.
nRnkcUB.jpg

I also noticed all my cars have mirrors.

cQtydcY.jpg
l0sYkz7.jpg

CIfocHZ.jpg
QtoYLU2.jpg

(the F103 lost their in a few roll overs, I used Suzuki Swift 1600 Rally side mirrors)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

I have used them for other craft projects but I have not considered them for this application, no. I wanted to the body to be monolithic, as all of my attempts at filling body holes previously using materials other than on that of which the body itself was made eventually became visible with age due to different rates of expansion and contraction, different flex characteristics, etc.

I see, sounds good.  I’ve been using Tamiya putty for seams and parting lines for decades with good results.  I keep the model/body in an air conditioned room away from the sun or major heat source, however.  

Soldered new wires and wrapped the motor with a new factory heat shrink on one of my restored M38 Willy's.   

IMG_Apr202021at94431AM.thumb.jpg.7d59ca8af6e6011a4ed87ec44212b153.jpg

I'm supposed to be getting more 3D printed axe and shovel sets today, so will sand and paint those when they arrive.   Kinda excited..

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Wez-li said:

Love jdm cars, think my obsession came from gran turismo in the 90's and a bit of initial d :)

Been lucky enough to have owned a Lanevo8 in my time, plus a few others. 

Don't know if you watch the hoonigan channel, but I'd love to do a 1:10 of this Levin

B)

I think they are those types of people called "crazy car people" that take a good car to the limits. 86 are beatiful car the thats me with Initial D shades on my eyes vs those young-uns thes days. It would have been better if they took the AE85 and made it that fast and added more comedy but nothing wrong with fast AE86.. I did see a faded yellow Lan evo7 on a import site but much like reality and logic it's only a pic of a nice car in my case... circumstances need to be right to own a 2nd car, on much less being a "fun" car that is best off not seeing snow... 

Initial D has really shaped the cars I like, I can easily look an option of buying Euro high performance car vs JDM if I won the lottery and still go JDM without a second thought. I guess your Evo8 was alot of fun to drive. I'd love to have either R33, Evo7 or Sil80 among other cars but reality says no :(.

though if I ever won the lottery it would be hilarious to buy high end Euro sports car and specifically paint it to look like bad word  and drive it around like that LOL

• Like 1

Painted my shovel and axe for my recent Willy restorations.   Will attach to the body later today.

IMG_Apr202021at23227PM.thumb.jpg.09ba126c6a24e40f0573f3589a4a4578.jpg

Looked like this before any sanding.. (flipped over)

IMG_Apr202021at23158PM.thumb.jpg.5b50fcc17cc5fa3253113086901484e6.jpg

Updated picture..

IMG_Apr202021at52914PM.thumb.jpg.4d3777bb2d59e292b92e1ac31ad906b5.jpg

• Like 10

16 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

That looks pretty good!! Thumbsup I presume it is a different chassis than WW2's, am I wrong?

Also, for some time I've been puzzled over your Shakespeare portrait on the back... why would you have it there, any stories?

Good job!! Thumbsup

Yep, it's the GF-01 chassis. Same dimensions as the WR-02, but 4WD.

I got back in the RC hobby about 10 years ago. Before getting hooked on Tamiyas I used to build comp crawlers, and then scale crawlers (still in to scale trucks a little). There is a manufacturer of 1:1 scale replica tires called Pit Bull. They also make foam inserts. Their single stage foams are called 'Dirty Richard'. That is who the portrait is of. I just cropped the image, popped it into an old looking frame and printed it off for the wall when I first built my scale garage. It's bizarre, because it's the one thing in the garage I get the most questions about.

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/new-dirty-richard-foam-inserts-from-pit-bull-tires/

19 hours ago, nel33 said:

@toyolien that WW2Willy looks comical on that chassis :).

It certainly does. Sits a little too high compared to my WR-02 Willy though.

• Like 1

Pleased to say I had a bit of healthy RC action every day the past three days. There was the usual hopping/bashing/tumbling around but also some more serious moments of Postal racing. The Hornet got to do a personal best and the Manta Ray as well, while the Big Boss kept being steady on the same exact amount of laps of last week. I'm thinking of finally getting my RC10 up and running for next weekend, but I'd have to move the track to a different spot, as the lawn is starting to suffer from all that shredding (I'm not the only one using it, otherwise any buggy marks would be welcome!).

The Hornet does its thingScreenshot-20210419-012632-Video-Player.

Mostly free running with the Manta, but the few postal runs were good ones20210420-173256.jpgScreenshot-20210419-013007-Video-Player.

The Boss running in anger, on three weels to make it around those hairpins! :lol:Screenshot-20210419-134645-Video-Player.Screenshot-20210419-134943-Video-Player.

Dirty cars = good times

20210420-181934.jpg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, toyolien said:

It certainly does. Sits a little too high compared to my WR-02 Willy though.

i dont know who top heavy the comicals are but that might be an issue if it runs the jeep body.

4 hours ago, nel33 said:

i dont know who top heavy the comicals are but that might be an issue if it runs the jeep body.

Comical bodies weigh nothing compared to the Willy. But they are top heavy compared to a normal buggy. Still koads of fun though.

7 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Comical bodies weigh nothing compared to the Willy. But they are top heavy compared to a normal buggy. Still koads of fun though.

having something that rolls easy enough and then adding a body higher up sounds a bit dangerous unless you dont mind fixing up a body when it rolls.

On 8/17/2020 at 9:28 AM, lsear2905 said:

I gave up waiting for new parts for my GF01 coming from HK - the parts I need aren't in stock, and even if they were HK won't post to Australia.

So, hot-glue gun to the rescue! (FWIW it held up.. for now)

1524237207_TamiyaGF01DumpTruck.thumb.jpg.1810b132d91d0b713b4e23e42c2ff516.jpg

1876502609_TamiyaGF01DumpTruck1.thumb.jpg.5310fbbd370979a8fbc61fbdfeb9b695.jpg

@J@mes - it's not ideal, but it did hold up for ages... at least until you can buy a new chassis (perhaps get a clear one?).

I ran the Konghead and (coincidentally) the Dump Truck on Sunday afternoon, but no RC since unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks to @Willy iine I went and got some clear nail polish. Its some Made in Turkey GR 'Golden Rose' GEL LOOK TOP COAT gloss and plumb. what may reffer to its plumb finis. not sure if thats a good thing, but it is very thick and makes a nice layer. not sure if it will be too thick for the side mirrors, might apply just a tiny bit. I used it so far for the mirror glasses, i guess it will make a glass look finish.

M1nPPzV.jpg

ignore the color of the glass itself. I might put a tiny bit of uv protectiv silver blue foil on it.

• Like 2

Who knew!???! :o

the red color reacted to the gel, but the silver did not. The silver was brushed with water samd paper 1500, the red ones didnt. Maybe the thick layer of red caused the reaction. But yeah at least I will have a plumb gloss finish. There was no normal clear lack available and I went for this. :blink: :D

bLQKIlb.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Does look ok on the shelf. But close up the are a bit darker shade and with the paint reaction it seems beaten but new. Might sand it down once I get time. Not to too concerned now.

CdHq0Ze.jpg
5cPGaPd.jpg
sBSuxua.jpg

sSsGzTE.jpg

• Like 1

Fabia - I am sorry to see this.  I have to say that is odd because I have used off the shelf nail polish (typical enamel based) over enamel, laquer, acrylic with no issue in the past.  

Even where the same material where the base coat reacted, I blot applied (not brushed back and forth) and allowed the nail polish to shape its self over time naturally.  It turned out nice.  

• Thanks 1

Rearranged the 1000TCR shelf :D

added car wax polish to the floor to get a shiny finish. Not really visible on the pictures but you see the downside of the car. B)

XdSk3UV.jpg
gBGKQkw.jpg

• Like 4

Started assembling Willy for my Comical Avante. I prefer the look of him compared to the driver that comes in the kit.

20210421_142720.jpg

20210421_142732.jpg

• Like 1

toyolien- Each time I see your garage I remind myself I need to go to an arts&crafts store to pick up some hobby hardwood to make a wheel rack for my M38 Willy's.  :D

Maybe I will place an R2D2 in my Willy display.. ;)

GL on the Willy painting.  

IMG_Apr212021at110950AM.jpg.ab838e6ad2eb4688362aedf3485d22c9.jpg

• Like 1

My parts from rc mart came in so I changed the front shock tower, got an upgraded a5, and changed the rear shock tower.

Replaced the tamiya connector with some deans connector (what a difference in response now!)

Old MRC Top Gun wasn't responding so I got a radiolink rc6s v2. Great remote with gyro and lots of extra buttons and customization options 

Installed a light bar on the spoiler.

Upgraded the coat hanger shaft with the tamiya propeller shaft. 

Motor is the Tamiya sport tuned with a 13t pinion

Max speed gotten has been around 19 with 4.0 NIMH

I had purchased a venom lipo but have been scared to charge and try it. 

20210419_151850.jpg

20210419_151911.jpg

• Like 3

Just for kicks I hooked up my near 40 yr old NiCd to see whether it would charge.. at 1.2A the charger is showing it is charging and holding steady 8.89V..

IMG_Apr212021at113640AM.jpg.ff642f4b0f34b90cc39ff52dd1e79e8f.jpg

Update:   Peaked at 9.08v over 1600mAH so decided to manually stop.  Ran the battery in one of my LWB M38 Willy's and while good power, noticed how wheelie happy the car becomes with this battery's added weight vs the sub-C packs I made. I think I will stick with the packs I made.  Run time was just shy of 15 min.  Not bad for a battery made near 4 decades ago!

• Like 5

@Willy iine You should definitely build a garage to house all those Wild Willy's. I did by an R2D2 from eBay, but when it arrived it was 8 inches tall! It's in a cupboard somewhere....

• Haha 1

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle, or a beaver's cousin for all that matters.

After a few weeks of pretty much constant spring weather, today we got this

20210421-205747.jpg

and it kept snowing all day. I had time to go for a spin in the morning while on my way, so I hurried to the park and quickly splashproofed the 10BL60 with whatever bag I had handy in the car.

I had a blast! Not that I missed the snow, but since it came back might as well take advantage :)

20210421-210223.jpg

20210421-205904.jpg

20210421-210036.jpg

Screenshot-20210421-204913-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20210421-205658-Video-Player.

By the time I was done, the car's weight was about one and a half due to all the snow accumulated!

20210421-210108.jpg

Ghetto splashproofing worked well20210421-205725.jpg

• Like 12

i got no other new goodies from the postman today but the last round was a good one. im currently doing a test paint on scrap lexan  to see if the metallic blue PS paint looks with white backing anad silver backing. the silver backing will be for Manta and im testing the white backing as im torn between brilliant blue Tamiya PS and metallic blue for the Sileighty body shell for the TT02.

On 4/20/2021 at 3:43 AM, Cynan said:

Tried masking and painting the lunchbox.. there was some leak unfortunately but that’s my fault I guess for using 10 year old masking tape!

Still this is a basher so it doesn’t need to be perfect.. and for my first time painting I think it’s quite good :lol:

4FB6A99E-EF7E-489C-8249-AA6E4A31C215.jpeg

The truck looks very nice! What you needed to get the rubbers painted is actually some black enamel marker. Tamiya used to make them in the past, not sure these days. Also, to complete the grill a fine point permanent marker would do. These Dodge truck are gorgeous vehicles indeed, always nice to see the lunchbox popping up in here Thumbsup

Another thing that might be of use for you to know is the fact that you could add some support for the rear end of the body to "sit" and therefore avoid breaking the bodymounts when running the truck. Everyone will tell you "the bodymounts are fragile, you need alu ones" but with those expensive alu ones you're just headed for a heartbreak, because the Tradesman body is heavy and in any rollover the aluminum bodymounts won't be the part breaking-it will be either the chassis or the body itself. if you see what happens you'll notice the front end of the body kinda "sits" against the chassis' bathtub, and that doesn't happen with the rear part. Well, that's the problem, and the main reason why those body posts are considered to be fragile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

The truck looks very nice! What you needed to get the rubbers painted is actually some black enamel marker. Tamiya used to make them in the past, not sure these days. Also, to complete the grill a fine point permanent marker would do. These Dodge truck are gorgeous vehicles indeed, always nice to see the lunchbox popping up in here Thumbsup

Another thing that might be of use for you to know is the fact that you could add some support for the rear end of the body to "sit" and therefore avoid breaking the bodymounts when running the truck. Everyone will tell you "the bodymounts are fragile, you need alu ones" but with those expensive alu ones you're just headed for a heartbreak, because the Tradesman body is heavy and in any rollover the aluminum bodymounts won't be the part breaking-it will be either the chassis or the body itself. if you see what happens you'll notice the front end of the body kinda "sits" against the chassis' bathtub, and that doesn't happen with the rear part. Well, that's the problem, and the main reason why those body posts are considered to be fragile.

Thanks! Never thought about using a marker. I’ve been using a small brush so far. Had a quick look and it seems you can’t get Tamiya markers in the UK anymore.. so I might try order some generic ones off Amazon and give them a go. Thanks again!