Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

today I managed to plaster cast a well used truggy. It needs a bit of a clean up and I will try and do that and then vac form it later this week. I'll put some more detailed photos, plus some test vac forming I did last week in my vac forming thread tonight.

Vac-Former-Ver-6-23.jpeg

• Like 12

El Kid assisted with reassembling a Dual Hunter that had been dormant for a while.

DSC_0684.jpg

In between assistance, he ran his Dual Hunter in the back garden. It was running really well until...he lost a king pin. Again. When will I learn to tighten them up before a session?!! Fortunately, it is now lunchtime.

I realised why the DH in bits had been dormant - I'd forgotten that whole rebuilding it, I'd discovered that a rear gearbox mount had broken. So I glued it up and refitted it.

Got it nearly ready. Fitted a new Hobbywing dual motor ESC, it has twin RC4WD 55T motors but these might be switched out for regular silver cans  as El Kid is more proficient with the car now than when I started the rebuild!

• Like 7

Badcrumble - Your son is a natural.  Just look at how familiarly he holds the screw driver! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Willy iine, a bit more strength and he'll be building them on his own. He has built this most of truck with assistance but it has taken some time - a six year old doesn't have a huge attention span!

• Haha 1

Did some cleaning in my RC shop today so while I had her off her shelf, decided to snap a picture of Wendy and the ornament I made out of an authentic M38 chassis plate and SWB arm stays by simensays.  

IMG_Apr242021at92417AM.thumb.jpg.0be96b109eaf37dff4ab425894c5a31b.jpg

IMG_Apr242021at92453AM.jpg.cbfac8a2e0cddc3e1a693f1250d9c429.jpg

• Like 12

Post-lunch, fitted another kingpin to the Dual Hunter, thought "that's not very tight" and handed it to the boy. Within five minutes it was lost. So that's two the lawnmower will thank me for.

So I retrieved a sprue from the garage and fitted some new steering arms. Now why didn't I do that after the last run?! 

Then went back to the DH being rebuilt and got it to where it will run. Still needs body post re-fitting bit after some initial confusion, the 880 ESC appears happy. Turn out you can programme it. What witchcraft is this?!

The 55T motors are waaaay to slow for him now so I'll either get a couple of silver cans or a 15T Firebolt to go with the one in my parts stash. I can turn the throttle down on the tx :D.

• Like 2

Thanks for the pic of Wendy @Willy iine. I like the stars on her cap.

That's a really cool chassis palate too.

Whilst sorting out the DH today I stumbled across my WW2. It needs an upper arm to get it running again so I had better prioritise that.

Summer is coming and some loaner cars are required for El Kid's mates now they are a bit older.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Thanks for the pic of Wendy @Willy iine. I like the stars on her cap.

That's a really cool chassis palate too.

Whilst sorting out the DH today I stumbled across my WW2. It needs an upper arm to get it running again so I had better prioritise that.

Summer is coming and some loaner cars are required for El Kid's mates now they are a bit older.

DH?

@Badcrumble I have a fair few Willy parts that I've not used from a couple of Willy kits. Let me know what you need and I'll have a look. Always good to have more Willies on here to look at 🤟

Went to the Dawn Service to pay respect to ours and our brothers (Aus) fallen heroes, then made a strong coffee and got straight into fitting the parts from Tonys 😁

x6u4u49.jpg

I would really like to get one of those servo cable shortening tools... 🤔

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @toyolien, my WW2 is a bit worse for wear. It was pretty beaten up when I got it, el kid once ran it into the side of the house damaging the front end and last time out finished with a front wheel hanging off! It really deserves a refresh...

DH is for Dual Hunter :D

7 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Thanks @toyolien, my WW2 is a bit worse for wear. It was pretty beaten up when I got it, el kid once ran it into the side of the house damaging the front end and last time out finished with a front wheel hanging off! It really deserves a refresh...

DH is for Dual Hunter :D

No worries. The offer's there if you're stuck for owt :D

• Like 1

So today, I’ve just pulled the trigger on clod buster that was only just listed on eBay, been after one for a while so excited for this one, pics to follow when it’s lands 

• Like 4

After conducting the switch mod on a new 1060, swapped  the TBLE02S that was in one of my earlier restored Willy's as the servo was not getting enough power to center the steering at times.  

Also the 1060 has a lot more variable speed which makes for an even more enjoyable drive.  

IMG_Apr242021at54521PM.thumb.jpg.95316619445e0e781a131c178cebd5ba.jpg

• Like 2

Dad and finally got the SCX24’s I bought us a yer ago on the rocks today, also got the few mods to mine done and we may be going to look for grippier tires and heavier wheels tomorrow.

Dad’s is the stocker on the left, mine is on the right and has a few cosmetic mods as well as some CG related mods and an EMax servo.

001(60).jpg
001(58).jpg

• Like 5

Soldered up a HW 10BL60 and motor for one of my TT02Rs. Last time I soldered something was 20+ years ago. Shaky hands make the process challenging lol. 

20210424_182102.jpg

• Like 2

Swapped the wheels on my HS2 from new white rerelease ones to original off white ones. They aren’t in perfect condition but they are period correct.

164DD01B-A507-418E-B5CA-B4FC6A3EA0A6.jpeg

Also changed the wheel adapters over to correct ones, and the front skid plate to the original.

Not RC but related as I used my tools and materials to strip down the motor assembly on my son's bubble volcano. It was making a horrendous noise.

Found a tiny and very rusty motor which I gave some heavy lubrication, greased the gears and reassembled, taping up the casing in a attempt to reduce water ingress.

That's something I would never have attempted before getting into RC!

Oh, and el kid saw me looking at my forlorn WW2 and said 'didn't it have a driver?' I asked him if it should have one and he replied 'it would look better with one' so another task for the list - assemble and paint Willy!

• Haha 1

Had a great Tamiya day today, whilst also getting through a good amount of jobs-and-chores and getting a cracking dinner in the oven. Keeping myself in Mrs J's good books :D

Firstly, I rebuilt my Super Astute around a new set of Xtraspeed Carbon Fibre plates, which are very good 

spacer.png

Then, taking advantage of the warm weather weekend, I finished the paint job of the Carrera GT shell for my TB-02R which I started yesterday

spacer.png

A full can of PS-41 Bright Silver applied in five coats, gives a really nice depth of silver with loads of lovely metallic sparkle in the right light. Then two light coats of black at the back for the rear diffuser and light cluster

spacer.png

The rear wing and mirrors were painted with TS-17 Gloss Aluminium, which ended up being a nigh on perfect match.

Very pleased with it, next job is to build up the courage to do the stickers! Full window panel stickers :blink: Yikes! 

• Like 13

33 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Had a great Tamiya day today, whilst also getting through a good amount of jobs-and-chores and getting a cracking dinner in the oven. Keeping myself in Mrs J's good books :D

Firstly, I rebuilt my Super Astute around a new set of Xtraspeed Carbon Fibre plates, which are very good 

spacer.png

Ok I'm drooling now on that SA!

Beautiful!

• Thanks 1

Did some speed runs with the FF-03 Pro-R and some on-road rallying (with the XV-01) and with my RC buddies.

qU4Pbdgh.jpg

z1Ebm8Jh.jpg

v2X5Mj3h.jpg

6vp0mWeh.jpg

VsuBTbAh.jpg

ehFSXCqh.jpg

Aftermath...

AKhDqIRh.jpg

HMQicI6h.jpg

• Like 8

I started doing some filling on one of the Willy heads I'm working on. 

20210425_174658.jpg

20210425_174507.jpg

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Ok I'm drooling now on that SA!

Beautiful!

Cheers! Those braided cable covers really help 👌

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Aftermath...

AKhDqIRh.jpg

HMQicI6h.jpg

That looks like a lot of dusty fun 👍

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, berman said:

Went to the Dawn Service to pay respect to ours and our brothers (Aus) fallen heroes, 

i know it may sound daft but i remember seeing a episode from either the 1st or 2nd series of home and away when they cover'd this i think alf n his mad sister lost someone 

3 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Very pleased with it, next job is to build up the courage to do the stickers! Full window panel stickers :blink: Yikes! 

Juhunio - Body looks good so far!

Trick for doing larger decals is to use distilled water in a spray or mist bottle, wet the body, wet your fingers (prevents finger print marks in clear decals), wet the adhesive side, apply, reposition as needed, then silicon squeegee the water out.    A little heat at the end to press down the edges is a good way to finish off.   

I do vinyl and clear bra installations on my real cars and the only time I use soapy solution is while doing very large sheets, but for that I also use tack solution.  Both not needed for RC decals, just distilled water.    GL.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1