Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

What motor/esc do you have in yours ? I had a scare earlier.. I used a tx that had low batteries unknowingly and the hornet took off full speed by itself right into a real car. 

As of now my Hornet is still in brushed configuration. I have a Hobbywing 1060 esc and an HPI Firebolt 15T motor in it, and it already feels very overpowered which is good 🤪 It's quite the challenge to keep it on its four wheels at high speed, which makes for fun driving. 

I imagine how it could be with a 13.5T brushless system... it must be flying! Good thing is, the Hornet's gearbox is a work of art in terms of toughness and low friction, so I'd expect it to take all that power without a problem and to transfer pretty much all of it straight to the wheels. Please post pics of some wicked Hornet action if you take any!

I take it it survived the slam into the 1:1 car?

24 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

As of now my Hornet is still in brushed configuration. I have a Hobbywing 1060 esc and an HPI Firebolt 15T motor in it, and it already feels very overpowered which is good 🤪 It's quite the challenge to keep it on its four wheels at high speed, which makes for fun driving. 

I imagine how it could be with a 13.5T brushless system... it must be flying! Good thing is, the Hornet's gearbox is a work of art in terms of toughness and low friction, so I'd expect it to take all that power without a problem and to transfer pretty much all of it straight to the wheels. Please post pics of some wicked Hornet action if you take any!

I take it it survived the slam into the 1:1 car?

Yes it did! I’m surprised too because mine is from the 04 re-release so the plastics getting old now. 

• Like 1

Paint shop day, and electrical fit out.

Next up body kit and detail parts ( grills, spoiler, rear splitter etc, ) paint. 

20210506_162511.jpg

• Like 7

Today I installed a TA03RS drive belt into my TA03FS Peugeot WRC. I had acquired a standard TA03F and a short bathtub to fit a pretty wrecked  Peugeot body as a resto project a while back and never got round to actually getting a belt with the proper length.

Tamiya TA03FS

Now just waiting for a Hobbywing 1060 and Flysky gt5  to arrive, hopefully in time for some racing by post.

Tamiya TA03FS

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jonny Crumpet said:

Paint shop day, and electrical fit out.

Next up body kit and detail parts ( grills, spoiler, rear splitter etc, ) paint. 

20210506_162511.jpg

More, please!

• Thanks 1

Making a tire rack for my M38 tires.. not sure what it is going to look like yet, just putting it together as the idea comes..

IMG_May72021at31354PM.jpg.8b3ccfaf172147e4a4689ce45d2ed17b.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Making a tire rack for my M38 tires.. not sure what it is going to look like yet, just putting it together as the idea comes..

That's exactly how I work. Looking forward to the results 👍

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, toyolien said:

That's exactly how I work. Looking forward to the results 👍

Thanks, it's probably going to look like this..  I don't have much display space so it will be a short single rack, I think..

IMG_May72021at44855PM.jpg.ad2c402a277ad314342d4a49a0f9ca55.jpg

i changed the engine oil on my daily driver today and then topped it off by driving my "new" slash in the park. the body was painted a while ago but i just dragged out on reinforcing the body. i brought both battery packs but i broke something halfway through the first battery. it still drives fine and i drained that battery. i got a nice little mail slip in my mail box today. gonna pick up the mystery package at the post office tomorrow and see what i get. its likely Manta related but i cant rule out a Lunchie if RCmart has very fast shipping time. i do have some parts im waiting for for both TD, manta and lunchie.

IMG_4464a.jpg

IMG_4465a.jpg

ive bee putting off trimming the the antenna tube ever since i got the slash and i think now is a good time to do that. the break is 2" above the body. i rolled it with the stock body before to make the weak point but i rolled it today on the red body's first run with unseen uneven grass. did a double roll and landed on the wheels. dont think the coffee table body would have had the same result...

• Like 4

Decided to work on the body before the chassis for a change.  After completing the body I will take this base TT02 up a notch with full sealed ball bearings, aluminum propeller shaft and joints, CVA shocks, and some foams in the tires. (I cant believe these kits don't even come with foam!). 

IMG_1084.jpeg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

That sounds ideal to me, building the chassis is the best bit.

Went racing today, in the 1:1 car.  Day 1 of a 24hour race over 3 days. Only 3 hours on track today, most of the race is over the weekend. @bermanat Hampton Downs if you're bored, its really low key so full pit access etc...

It was ok, I can't say I was particularly excited while building it. There was one or two things that were a bit more involved than I thought they would be, like the centre shaft.

That's awesome! Would have loved to drive over for a look, but worked this morning, and have two kids parties to go to tomorrow, plus its mothers day... 😬

Its been a long time since I've been to Hampton Downs! 😲

:edit: I just got this mental picture of 1:1 Lemons cars all strewn stranded around a racetrack while two guys race around the pits with rc cars and a crowd of helmeted 1:1 drivers surround them shouting them on 🤣🤣🤣

14 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I too am a big fan of dual deck CF chassis!  Which reminds me, I am supposed to take pictures of my various m-chassis and post in the m-chassis thread.   

Most of my Tamiya's, besides my M-Four, are mostly all plastic chassis so I guess I am use to having lots of plastic..  :D

Please do, would love to see all your minis! Oh no it's not that it's plastic, it's that it's weirdly over-shiny... like all the plastic trees have been dipped in a laquer or clear coat, kind of like the brand new driftech tyres :ph34r: The M07 is mostly made from that matte finish carbon reinforced plastic, and it probably didn't help that I built that before this one 🙂

I'm all good with plastic rc cars 😄

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, berman said:

It was ok, I can't say I was particularly excited while building it. There was one or two things that were a bit more involved than I thought they would be, like the centre shaft.

That's awesome! Would have loved to drive over for a look, but worked this morning, and have two kids parties to go to tomorrow, plus its mothers day... 😬

Its been a long time since I've been to Hampton Downs! 😲

:edit: I just got this mental picture of 1:1 Lemons cars all strewn stranded around a racetrack while two guys race around the pits with rc cars and a crowd of helmeted 1:1 drivers surround them shouting them on 🤣🤣🤣

Please do, would love to see all your minis! Oh no it's not that it's plastic, it's that it's weirdly over-shiny... like all the plastic trees have been dipped in a laquer or clear coat, kind of like the brand new driftech tyres :ph34r: The M07 is mostly made from that matte finish carbon reinforced plastic, and it probably didn't help that I built that before this one 🙂

I'm all good with plastic rc cars 😄

Its exactly like that. Well, teams are really clever and can swap engines trackside. We would just pack up and go home. One team got a VN Commodore wagon from a wreckers for $1,000 with blown head gaskets. Fixed it up. Got 4 laps and blew the engine. Got another engine delievered, fitted it last nigth and got 4 more laps and blew that one. They gave up then.

We're 17th of 66 teams and the little Toyota is flawless. Hasn't missed a beat and is putting in some very respectable lap times.

I think I just jinxed it

• Haha 1

Had a blast on our weekly RC on-road rally. I also ran my FF-03 Pro-R. The ground (as usual) was a bit dusty and slippery which caused a lot of understeer. But on normal asphalt track, this baby performs just the way it should. 

• Like 2

Cut out my new Kamtec Corrado bodyshell and marked up the body post holes so I can hopefully drill it in the next few days. Have to work out how to attach the spoiler to the shell next.

Swapped one of the front hubs on the Dark Impact for a new one which I tried tapping prior to fitting to see if that was better or not. Wacked new bearings in as I have plenty. Hopefully the fittings won't back out on this one as they have done on the original hub. Applied loctite to the grub screw in the front universal joint while it was in bits. 

• Like 1

Started stickering the Audi V8. I always wondered why you do see so much of them. Now I know. I've only done four stickers up to now but I was several times pretty close to the point to throw it out of the window. Up to now it turns out not so nice. :(

IMG20210508175623_compress62.thumb.jpg.13cc80396e5e4c66bfc94563ce04de97.jpg

Will continue when I'm in a very calm mood.

2 hours ago, Aerobert said:

Started stickering the Audi V8. I always wondered why you do see so much of them. Now I know. I've only done four stickers up to now but I was several times pretty close to the point to throw it out of the window. Up to now it turns out not so nice. :(

Aerobert - Sorry to see.  I think you need to use distilled water and heat gun to get all those decals to line up without winkles and bubbles, and to follow the curves.  I posted a few pages back.  

If you’re careful you still might be able to remove the decals before they fully cure, but Id be very careful when pulling.. and keep your fingers wet with water to minimize contamination on the adhesive side   

GL with the rest of the install.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Aerobert - Sorry to see.  I think you need to use distilled water and heat gun to get all those decals to line up without winkles and bubbles, and to follow the curves.  I posted a few pages back.  

If you’re careful you still might be able to remove the decals before they fully cure, but Id be very careful when pulling.. and keep your fingers wet with water to minimize contamination on the adhesive side   

GL with the rest of the install.  

Thank you. I've used a heat gun for the stickers but not distilled water. And additionally I don't have much experience in making complicated touring car bodies. I guess the disappointment comes from the expectations I had. I will have a look at your post and carry on. And if the rest will come out better I will maybe get an additional sticker sheet and do the first four stickers again. But that will be decided when the rest is done.

3 hours ago, Aerobert said:

Its definitely salvageable

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Aerobert said:

Thank you. I've used a heat gun for the stickers but not distilled water. And additionally I don't have much experience in making complicated touring car bodies. I guess the disappointment comes from the expectations I had. I will have a look at your post and carry on. And if the rest will come out better I will maybe get an additional sticker sheet and do the first four stickers again. But that will be decided when the rest is done.

The distilled water is used for repositioning the decal to reduce the adhesive strength temporarily and to keep contamination (from your tweezers and fingers)  at a minimum.  Not sure why the decal did not follow the edge of hood, etc if you used a heat gun.  I am usually able to manipulate some pretty complex contours using heat.   

I'm still improvising putting this tire rack together.. I wanted to emphasize the massiveness of these tires.

Anyway, letting the glue dry right now.

I think I'm going to paint it the red/orange wood color I did on the axe and shovel handles to match the theme..

IMG_May82021at45846PM.jpg.3799ed929eb3652495d21cbbc7096142.jpg

IMG_Apr202021at23227PM.thumb.jpg.09ba126c6a24e40f0573f3589a4a4578.jpg

• Like 11

@Ferruz holy smokes ! I’m still adjusting the settings on the brushless combo for the hornet and I think I got it too fast earlier today. I ran it without the body and the car had to of been going 40 mph +. When trying to keep it straight, it rolled over onto the street. Thankfully, it looks like the rear body posts are so high that it protected the electronics from getting scuffed up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got around to fixing the antenna on the slash, had to use electric tape to keep the slack down safely but the antenna height is great now. 40mm above stock body and 45mm above Baja body. Next break is likely to get it just under the body shell but I will deal with that later when it occurs. Aerial antennas can be annoying like this...

• Like 1