Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Changed the brush and manually lathe the commutator using sandpaper. 600, 800, 1200 and 1500 grits. Not perfect but better than not.

8l772mj.jpg

CvQ7ttv.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Technically not today but yesterday Went to my local hobby shop for tyre glue and scissors for body cutting and came back with this! Thing is I didn't come back with the glue or scissors🙄 

20210509_122545.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

I was out this morning getting the cars ready for some running and maybe postal racing, when the mallard Misty May came back! This time, she brought along her boyfriend 😁🦆🦆

20210509-124257.jpg

20210509-122611.jpg

We got to witness some bickering as well 🤣20210509-122759.jpg

I like that, instead of leaving after being fed, they've decided to stick around and just chill in the shade (maybe more food later? Lol). In other words, I have some feathered public watching the cars run as of now :lol: perks of not having pets, I guess. We want to get a dog soon and maybe cats but once they are around none of this will ever happen, this or the wonderful friendship with Muchy the chipmunk last year. So better do this while I can

• Like 13
  • Haha 4

Finished the tire rack this morning. Kind of a rough finish, but out in the field I don't think the military folks care about how pretty their tire shelf looks so I will pretend that is what happened..

IMG_May92021at120324PM.jpg.9c373427d80ecb98d277be8058d5566f.jpg

Still had some more sticks left so decided to make skids as well.. I must say nailing these little pieces together was tough.. ;) jk

IMG_May92021at35949PM.jpg.c6f5df98b3216140fb940b690ddbe081.jpg

IMG_May92021at35931PM.thumb.jpg.6fe2fe107fb78d4a7663268dfce3400e.jpg

• Like 13

Finally got the Tundra 3speed running with it's remote controlled lockable diffs, which annoyingly don't always lock... but it has been such a long time building and taking the diffs off is quite a process.

It has:

-Junfac / Gmade 4-link suspension

-Junfac Dampers and springs 

-Junfac on axle steering (did the rear axle initially as well but decided to make it less complex in the end)

- Junfac extended hexs with barrel nuts.

- Gmade GT 2.2 bead lock wheels

- Proline 2.2 Dirt Hawg tyres.

- ketrieber doctor front and rear lockable differentials 

20210508_162001.jpg

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, gizard said:

Finally got the Tundra 3speed running with it's remote controlled lockable diffs...

More pics of the chassis and lockers?

2 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

More pics of the chassis and lockers?

Lockers pretty much internal only other than the brass pin that pokes out of the top of the diff casing which gets pulled over to lock the diffs by a wire inside a sheath attached to a servo mounted where the steering servo would sit in standard spec.

I will try and remember to post more pics of the bare chassis tomorrow (have to take them first!)

Assembled some footage from my first run with a GoPro.

The weather here was nice for over 2 weeks. Got a GoPro for a steal on ebay and suddenly it starts raining! I managed to use it once on the day it came and then it went back to raining again and doesn't look like it will stop for at least a week!

Oh well, quite pleased with what I got for a first try!

• Like 6

On 5/8/2021 at 9:11 PM, Willy iine said:

I think I'm going to paint it the red/orange wood color I did on the axe and shovel handles to match the theme..

IMG_Apr202021at23227PM.thumb.jpg.09ba126c6a24e40f0573f3589a4a4578.jpg

Tyre rack looks good, shame you didn't sand the heads of the shovels and axes smooth to make them look more metallic though.

Serviced my 1/8 buggy (diff rebuilds) and fitted new body and wing, IMO my mate has excelled finishing this body, I love it

51169719951_13e9f9c526_k.jpg

51170812475_c806f3924d_k.jpg

• Like 11

On 5/9/2021 at 6:05 AM, Willy iine said:

The distilled water is used for repositioning the decal to reduce the adhesive strength temporarily and to keep contamination (from your tweezers and fingers)  at a minimum.  Not sure why the decal did not follow the edge of hood, etc if you used a heat gun.  I am usually able to manipulate some pretty complex contours using heat.   

What do you use to squeegee the water out?

6 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

Tyre rack looks good, shame you didn't sand the heads of the shovels and axes smooth to make them look more metallic though.

Thanks on the tire rack.  :D I left the shovel and axe partially rough as the surface is a rusted look.  If that was a new rust free shovel and axe then I would prep them differently using putty to make them completely smooth.  Like the steel on the handle is partially rusted so that area sanded smoother.  You can search rusted axe and see a few examples online.

If you do not agree I will have a word with my lawn tools that they too are not rusting correctly..

1 hour ago, c64orinoco said:

What do you use to squeegee the water out?

I use a silicon squeegee like this one.  
I recommend you mist the top of the decal you are squeezing to allow the tool to glide smoothly.

IMG_Apr262021at23814PM.jpg.480388e48227aa96eaedb7071c7aa590.jpg

Weathered the tire rack and drum cans.  Yes, I am bored.. and patiently waiting for my Pajero and two M38's to arrive.. :lol:   

I forced circle imprints off the bottoms of the drums onto the skids for some additional realism.. to distract focus of me being too lazy to putty/resurface the seams.. :ph34r:

Thanks for looking. 

IMG_May102021at113354AM.thumb.jpg.f482d9b532028627b5592e6aacff022e.jpg

IMG_May102021at113419AM.jpg.14336e3f30078bb6d2540f2a196f6ddd.jpg

• Like 5

22 hours ago, gizard said:

Finally got the Tundra 3speed running with it's remote controlled lockable diffs, which annoyingly don't always lock... but it has been such a long time building and taking the diffs off is quite a process.

It has:

-Junfac / Gmade 4-link suspension

-Junfac Dampers and springs 

-Junfac on axle steering (did the rear axle initially as well but decided to make it less complex in the end)

- Junfac extended hexs with barrel nuts.

- Gmade GT 2.2 bead lock wheels

- Proline 2.2 Dirt Hawg tyres.

- ketrieber doctor front and rear lockable differentials 

20210508_162001.jpg

Here are some more pictures:

3speed1.jpg

3speed2.jpg

3speed3.jpg

3speed4.jpg

• Like 7

gizard - Nice truck. I am not familiar with crawlers, is your platform anything like a CR01?

Latest build underway.

TL01 Yaris WRC 1620678707254.jpg.e2d04103386e9cd130116e02e670de5c.jpg

• Like 4

i took an executive decision on the paint job on my lunchbox today. the dark brown will be a mid body stripe all around the body.  i intended to leave flat primer on the rims but saw champagne gold and decided that champagne gold color would be era appropriate. the small paint bottle is for the rim spokes that im not able to spray with the can, its not a perfect match but the rims are deep enough to hide it. i got a bunch of stickers planned out for the lunchbox ,i also picked up a DVD of a classic comedy movie.

EDIT: i got some vectors generated for some bumper sticker on the lunchbox and the text stickers for them body.

IMG_4472.JPG

IMG_4473.JPG

cheiftan 33a.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Ordered two more kits (dt01 memorial and super storm dragon for parts) and also got the 3D diagrams for the hornet transmission brace/battery cover and had a company other than shapeways make me one. Much cheaper and faster than shapeways. You can also choose different materials for the parts to be made in besides just nylon. 

• Like 2

I managed to do something RC related today, print some Marui Hunter Decals with white ink (top print) onto clear. The bottom print as the image (with the greenish background) I used to trace the artwork and printed it just for reference. It will need a little adjusting though as RACING TEAM and GUMOUT aren't quite right and I missed some details on the netting.

hunter-decal-sheet-a-1.jpeg

hunter-decal-sheet-1.jpeg

• Like 14

9 hours ago, Willy iine said:

gizard - Nice truck. I am not familiar with crawlers, is your platform anything like a CR01?

it is the Tamiya Tundra 3speed with Gmade / Junfac 4link suspension kit which replaces the leaf springs and friction dampers, with the plates on the side of the chassis rails (for the 4 link attachment points) there is no space for the transverse battery mount so it goes longitudinally between the chassis rails under rear bed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nel33 said:

i took an executive decision on the paint job on my lunchbox today. the dark brown will be a mid body stripe all around the body.  i intended to leave flat primer on the rims but saw champagne gold and decided that champagne gold color would be era appropriate. the small paint bottle is for the rim spokes that im not able to spray with the can, its not a perfect match but the rims are deep enough to hide it. i got a bunch of stickers planned out for the lunchbox ,i also picked up a DVD of a classic comedy movie.

EDIT: i got some vectors generated for some bumper sticker on the lunchbox and the text stickers for them body.

IMG_4472.JPG

IMG_4473.JPG

cheiftan 33a.jpg

Sounds exciting! I like brown, beige, and champagne gold colors. Oh, and that's a nice and appropriate movie Thumbsup

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mongoose1983 said:

Sounds exciting! I like brown, beige, and champagne gold colors. Oh, and that's a nice and appropriate movie Thumbsup

yeah, getting the chrome roughed up is gonna be a pain and experiment. i thought at first it was the first airplane film but the sequel is just as good to buy. which film are you referring to? LOL

i had a hard time choosing the the wooden tan, the red brown was easy. trying to find old boring era brown color to pair it with was hard when there were 2 other choices but the blegh of wooden tan was fitting. im not looking forward to painting the rims but they must be done... why did Tamiya make them such deep dish wheels???

4 minutes ago, nel33 said:

yeah, getting the chrome roughed up is gonna be a pain and experiment. i thought at first it was the first airplane film but the sequel is just as good to buy. which film are you referring to? LOL

i had a hard time choosing the the wooden tan, the red brown was easy. trying to find old boring era brown color to pair it with was hard when there were 2 other choices but the blegh of wooden tan was fitting. im not looking forward to painting the rims but they must be done... why did Tamiya make them such deep dish wheels???

Both films were good, although the first one is one of the most hilarious ones from the whole 80's decade.

Myself I'm super happy the rims are deep. Tamiya was trying to get the real look, that's how real monster truck wheels were. I'm not sure about today, but back in the day they were just like that. Oh, I do believe you're going to do a nice job with them. Blob7

rollin Thunder Monster Truck monster Truck Challenge

• Like 1