Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

nel33 I like the color.  What type of paint are you using?  Enamel? 

Are you able to get the primer evenly in the deep corners of the wheels?   I ask because I'm thinking about painting my white Jimny wheels (Wr02) in a dark gunmetal or something metallic.   I was going to brush paint the corners in black before spraying the lacquer.   I don't use primer under Tamiya lacquer.  

51 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

nel33 I like the color.  What type of paint are you using?  Enamel? 

Are you able to get the primer evenly in the deep corners of the wheels?   I ask because I'm thinking of painting my white Jimny wheels (Wr02) in a dark gunmetal or something metallic.    I was going to brush paint the corners in black before spraying the lacquer spray.   I don't use primer under Tamiya lacquer.  

thanks, its TS 75 Champagne gold. its much better than my initial lazy choice of primer grey.

i will find out within 2hrs or so if i can get the paint in that deep. currently using a 30 degree spray angle or so offset from the center to try and get the deep walls some good coverage and a shot or 2 directly into the center. so far it seems easy enough to get something rather even though i need 2-3 passes to get something nice.

edit, did a 2nd pass of primer. i got some good smooth coverage but a 3rd pas is needed to make it more solid. the bottom of the deep dish edge where it meets the center is a bit tricky but careful spray angle should deal with it. if you can find an aerosol primer with the right type of paint to match the top coat paint variety then it should work well with some good spray angles.

the 3rd coat did the trick, i got full coverage of the primer in the deep side of the wheel rim.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, berman said:

Yeah I have heard that term many times before. We have a lot of Brits over here, and 99% of them are good, but you get the bad eggs unfortunately that bring their stupid rules over with them. I am waiting for someone to complain it's a drone and that I am spying on their bloomers on the washing line, when in fact this won't fly more than 60cm off the ground. 

Yeah we're not happy in the UK unless we are "calling for a ban" on something! we like to ban stuff I think the popular one at the moment is electric scooters. Drones were a few years ago 

1 hour ago, nel33 said:

thanks, its TS 75 Champagne gold. its much better than my initial lazy choice of primer grey.

the 3rd coat did the trick, i got full coverage of the primer in the deep side of the wheel rim.

Ahh you are using laquer.  Does the primer improve adhesion?  I ask because Tamiya claims TS does not require primer on plastic and so I never use it unless I'm going from a dark to a light color.   For areas that I want high adhesion I just take a #800 - #1000 sanding sponge and dull up the plastic just a little for that extra chemical reaction bite.  I've not had any issue with paint adhesion.

When I do those deep corners I use this typically a no-no technique where I burst the spray at an offset angle and stop without moving the spray head.  What that does is it gives a thick burst of paint in that one spot and usually I can get the distance right where the paint gets in the nooks without runs or ending up with cracks.  But those deep dish wheels are pretty extreme so good to know you got it to work!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Ahh you are using laquer.  Does the primer improve adhesion?  I ask because Tamiya claims TS does not require primer on plastic and so I never use it unless I'm going from a dark to a light color.   For areas that I want high adhesion I just take a #800 - #1000 sanding sponge and dull up the plastic just a little for that extra chemical reaction bite.  I've not had any issue with paint adhesion.

When I do those deep corners I use this typically a no-no technique where I burst the spray at an offset angle and stop without moving the spray head.  What that does is it gives a thick burst of paint in that one spot and usually I can get the distance right where the paint gets in the nooks without runs or ending up with cracks.  But those deep dish wheels are pretty extreme so good to know you got it to work.

if anything im just used to putting primer onto plastic since forever. i do it so i know the top paint will stick. if the primer sticks well then its all clear but if the primer has issues sticking then a re-wash or scrubbing might be needed. when painting my Gundams i dont bother washing the trays first so having primer on before the top coat (Humbrol Enamel) goes on really helps me out. the primer on the lunchbox rims also served to have better color if i sprayed it grey or white then TS 75. i did cut back the tape a bit so i can paint the bead TS75 but i dont want to put too much paint on those surfaces so i left the primer away from it. 2 coats to cover the yellow worked. the fitst light coat was decent but a heavier 2nd coat worked.

i did use burst spray tech though i did a sweeping spray while i rotated the rim at the same time. the lower right did have some missing coverage on the raised areas but its a bit hard to get that spray angle with 1/4 raised edge...

if the rims are white to begin with a wash/scrub should be enough to got top coat right away.

IMG_4489.JPG

• Like 2

nel33 - Yeah, looks like you got good coverage without blobs.  Good job.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

nel33 - Yeah, looks like you got good coverage without blobs.  Good job.

thanks, gotta give up on full coverage for the raised axle edge but it got +50% coverage just in the primer phase so the top coat phase should make it harder to notice.

1 top coat is done and now drying, going to go for 3 layers and pray more of that TS75 gets on the raised edges.

4 minutes ago, nel33 said:

thanks, gotta give up on full coverage for the raised axle edge but it got +50% coverage just in the primer phase so the top coat phase should make it harder to notice.

Keep us posted, I'm excited to see how things turn out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Keep us posted, I'm excited to see how things turn out.

in 40 minutes or so i should have a final result. the first top coat was smooth. :)

the second coat was a bit heavier so i called it a day for the rims and the sun is gone so i cant see its glory ... 

EDIT:  is it just me or are the wheels supposed to be so squishy??? i understand that some tires come with foam inserts but why did the lunchbox not have them? what are my options to find inserts? ebay has some RCbitz 1.9 open body foam inserts that look good to order for my lunchie.

IMG_4491.JPG

image dump

IMG_4493a.jpg

IMG_4494a.jpg

IMG_4495a.jpg

• Like 4

I'm having a well-earned day off today, so what better to do than some work on my second Lunchbox? OK, this one isn't RC though, it's the 'Junior' but I thought it would be a fun little build. My hand-painting skills are not what they were 35 years ago, so there are a few blemishes. Admittedly 35 years ago i didn't drink Guinness while I was painting!

IMG_1348.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2021 at 1:41 AM, nel33 said:

ive always had a backlog of 2-3 Bandai robot models i just couldnt close out ie build all of them. i can start on 2 RC kits but the TD has yet to come in. i havent even factored the 4 1:24 plastic car models into the work sheet... i doubt i'll have a persistent backlog of RC models but the other kits are near hopeless even though i rarely buy anymore unless i really want a particular one. at the very least i dont feel any rush to start the 1:24 plastic car models until the Gundam are all built.

this is so me!!! I've got 3 RC cars waiting for new bodies, another 2 mid customization, 1 waiting for a full resto; 3 1:24 scale cars and 2 1:24/5 scale trucks to build, 3 1/100 scale gundam kits with resin garage kits, a couple of transformers to paint - and this is all after I finish the 4 rc cars I'm doing for other members!

So what did I do this weekend? Yup, I bought a vintage midnight pumpkin body. Do I have a CW-01 chassis for it? Nope. Do I have ideas brewing for it? oh yes...... ;) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Packed nearly all my Tamiya kit at the weekend, apart from 2 models that will be packed in the next couple of days.

Even though I have sold off so many models over the last 6-7 years and I reduced my spares right down it is surprising how much there still is tucked away. 

I’m intrigued to see where my interest lies when it all comes back out of storage, missed it or no longer bothered, only time will tell.

I have even recently considered selling models I would never have dreamed of selling a year ago. So the storage is a good move for now! 

Move on Monday, scaffolding up on Wednesday, builders start on Thursday with a view to finishing phase 1 in September 😭

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

after a few months or searching ive finally won a nice twin detonator on ebay, comes rtr with the box, will post some more pics once it arrives!

twin.jpg.7c47f34526f8cb497f69a15d364c2be9.jpg

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Packed nearly all my Tamiya kit at the weekend, apart from my 2 models that will be packed in the next couple of days.

Even though I sold off so many models over the last 6-7 and I reduced my spares right down it is surprising how much there still is tucked away. 

I’m intrigued to see where my interest lies when it all comes back of storage, missed it or no longer bothered, only time will tell.

I have even recently considered selling models I would never have dreamed of selling a year ago. So many the storage is a good move for now! 

Move on Monday, scaffolding up on Wednesday, builders start on Thursday with a view to finishing phase 1 in September 😭

Hope the move all goes ok mate, and don't be a stranger just because everything RC is in storage!!!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

Packed nearly all my Tamiya kit at the weekend, apart from my 2 models that will be packed in the next couple of days.

Even though I sold off so many models over the last 6-7 and I reduced my spares right down it is surprising how much there still is tucked away. 

I’m intrigued to see where my interest lies when it all comes back of storage, missed it or no longer bothered, only time will tell.

I have even recently considered selling models I would never have dreamed of selling a year ago. So many the storage is a good move for now! 

Good luck Grumpy pants!!!

For me, I got my Pfizer vaccination #2 yesterday and feeling very slow.  I was going to start my Pajero build before work, but feeling too drowsy.. so decided to take a few pictures of my Mini Cooper in blue instead.  

IMG_May182021at60509AM.jpg.8068099b8b23ae6b18b20b2a0bac792a.jpg

• Like 11

4 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

this is so me!!! I've got 3 RC cars waiting for new bodies, another 2 mid customization, 1 waiting for a full resto; 3 1:24 scale cars and 2 1:24/5 scale trucks to build, 3 1/100 scale gundam kits with resin garage kits, a couple of transformers to paint - and this is all after I finish the 4 rc cars I'm doing for other members!

So what did I do this weekend? Yup, I bought a vintage midnight pumpkin body. Do I have a CW-01 chassis for it? Nope. Do I have ideas brewing for it? oh yes...... ;) 

LOL you have slightly more on your plate than me. I haven't touched the 1:24 because plastic cement can melt stuff easily so 1 car is a practice model. Ive also stalled on a Russian jet with swept forward wings for a year or 2 for that very same reason. I got a 144 Death scythe painted but haven't assembled the top half just yet, all of the paint is done but procrastinate on the building part. I got 3 144 scale and my first MG Blitz that will be the cherry on top of the Blitz collection (no clear version yet). The lunchbox and Manta both require custom stickers and parts to build and 2 extra TT02 shells to paint... The TD at least will arrive June 24 so I have some time to work on one backlog kit...

Went mushroom picking with the Hornet yesterday evening

20210517-094700.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Took my RC10 B6.3D to the track for the first time on Friday. First practice lap, one of my shocks popped apart and emptied. I bought more shock oil, rebuilt it, and went to register. I needed a body hole for the transponder and had to ask for help. Regulars took a look at my buggy, only the second kit I've ever bought, and were mildly bemused. They reassembled a few things, added screws to places I'd missed them, and got me on the track. I made it one lap before I broke my servo. That ended my first night of racing. I marshalled the next race, learned to fear 1/8 scale buggies, and went home.

Not sure when I'll be able to replace the servo, so racing is on hold for the moment. 

• Like 4

I got some energy back late afternoon (was suffering cold like symptoms from the Pfizer #2 shot) so decided to finish building the vintage 5844 Pajero.  It drives well for what it is, with friction dampers and all.  Going to start painting the body maybe tomorrow.  

My dad bought me the same car when I was a kid in the 80’s so brought back memories.  I actually remembered how this thing was put together.  

IMG_May172021at65145PM.thumb.jpg.06fe0687adaa2293fde77f3e9f14c146.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, chuckjaywalk said:

Took my RC10 B6.3D to the track for the first time on Friday. First practice lap, one of my shocks popped apart and emptied. I bought more shock oil, rebuilt it, and went to register. I needed a body hole for the transponder and had to ask for help. Regulars took a look at my buggy, only the second kit I've ever bought, and were mildly bemused. They reassembled a few things, added screws to places I'd missed them, and got me on the track. I made it one lap before I broke my servo. That ended my first night of racing. I marshalled the next race, learned to fear 1/8 scale buggies, and went home.

Not sure when I'll be able to replace the servo, so racing is on hold for the moment. 

Tough first night!  Glad to hear some of the more experienced folks were willing to have a look and lend a hand.  I've only been to the track a couple of times, once was when they were running 1/8 gas.  Have to be careful marshalling those!  

• Like 1

Today I finally got to finish a personal project that kept me busy for over one year (non rc related), and then spent a couple hours running the cars.

I took one more attempt at the postal racing with the RC10, which scored a PB, then went off for a tough session with the Hornet 

Screenshot-20210517-212934-Gallery.jpg

20210517-182323-3.gif

20210516-211811.jpg

20210517-214735.jpg

20210517-214658.jpg

Screenshot-20210517-210344-Video-Player.

• Like 6

im on the fence RE a comical hornet... it looks cool  but its going to cost more than then lunchbox by $50 and its not that much smaller than the normal lunch box... i dont have a weird idea for it just yet but the new driver does give me a weird idea. the kiit looks cool and neat but my voice of reason is resisting rather strongly. if i dont give in in a week then i might reconsider it. i learned with the lunchbox that decisions within 48hrs arent the best idea generally when you have enough kits to worry about.

i had to search ebay to order 0.6mod 18T pinion gear on ebay as my order from Amain got lost or some BS and ended up being cancelled and mostly refunded. found 2 that should work on ebay.

Took out the Sanwa RX out of the M05ver2 and installed it into the LRP S18 TC, Nothing much done on the car its in perfect condition.

did blow air clean it on a compressor. and Installed the RX and its finished. Nice blue antenna tube.

J6lM6cP.jpg

QPzZETE.jpg

Rv5LUzi.jpg

yr6u3A9.jpg

NuN7zc7.jpg

iNuK2pn.jpg

Sanwa MX-V TX RX

LRP Ai Micro ESC

LRP 112218 S18 Tuning Motor 

Carson Full Size Digital Servo (not sure but probably 3-4kg)

Now I am looking for small 2s LiPos and I am ready to go. I need also to find out if a CF chassis conversion is a striaght bolt on?

• Like 3