Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, nel33 said:

Just place your cars everywhere in the house and when she says something you can happen to find some shelves that are miraculously open to store some cars.

If I did that, we would be tripping over them. Then I would REALLY be in trouble :D

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

If I did that, we would be tripping over them. Then I would REALLY be in trouble :D

LOL, atleast this would give a good reason to put them on the shelves.

Mounted 2 small white floating shelves for my TS spray cans.. 7 across 3 rows deep.   

IMG_Jun82021at42543PM.jpg.856bd144d3fd29ac5ff16430f1b482f1.jpg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Decided to fix Willy's eyeballs..

IMG_Jun82021at60459PM.thumb.jpg.3865bcc03dfc7b5c8efd0a674c4ef02e.jpg

Before.. (one on the left only)

IMG_Apr142021at40825PM.jpg.aedd5632d374f894c102dc574f4daacb.jpg

Where do you find those Willy figures?!

6 hours ago, BJoe76 said:

Where do you find those Willy figures?!

The body is a FunkoPop deadmau5 figure.  I chopped its head off, drilled in a grub screw at the neck for the nut inside Willy’s helmet.    I made the dog tags out of some random keychain I had and polycarbonate sheet.. painted his outfit and shoes.   He was sitting on a LP box, so swapped it out for a NOS bottle.   

IMG_Apr142021at40848PM.jpg.65c8bc5b1549bd0a7d74dff4003ce83d.jpg

• Like 2

Did a quick motor swap today. I wanted to change the Carson Cup machine from my sons DT-02 to my TT-02 as that is the motor used for the Stock class in the German Tamiya cup.As it was a bit dirty and gunged up, I decided to clean it by running it underwater for a few minutes. Never done this before, but I had seen a few how-to videos and thought I would give it a go. I found it very satisfying to see the muck transfer to the water 🙂. Changed the water to rinse for a few minutes, spun it dry and oiled the bearings and the first test drive was nice and smooth. 

Did I do this right? Or will my motor seize up and possibly even explode in a catastrophic manner in the near future?! If I did do this right, should I do it more often? Do you? Thanks for any feedback!

• Like 2

Usually I will build a chassis and then take forever to trim, paint and sticker up a body (or never finish it).

So I decided to change my process and start with the body for my ScX10iii..

DDC869F0-60E3-41F9-BD34-ED43281557CC.jpg

It really helps that this one came trimmed!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Well, that’s the hard top painted.

My Tamiya curved masking tape let me down at the top of the windscreen pillars but it is a little old now so I sort of expected it.

E0F96F6B-2D85-48D3-B447-678D8182B4C4.jpg
D6B8FEB0-6CEE-4966-B304-D9F1AACFE634.jpg

Unfortunately, there was a masking failure on the tailgate so I’ll need plenty of Tamiya polycarbonate cleaner there!

There are a couple of small bleeds on the window masks, I’ll have to sort those out at the end.

• Like 3

@Badcrumble would you be able to use some black window trim decals to cover up the bleeding?   Polycarbonate paint cleaner sounds like a plan!  

When the bleeding is not too bad, I usually use some toothpicks to gently shear them off without scratching the plastic.   But probably safer to use the cleaner if that is what everyone uses.  

• Thanks 1

@Willy iine I might have been better off with a toothpick as I took a smidgen too much off the top of the window pillar on one side

3C390B6E-A6C9-46AD-9D4B-44574F66D022.jpg

but overall, I’m very happy. Really neatened up the rear lower corners. Not perfect but the best I have done yet - I think this is my fourth.

A8BDAA78-E7A8-4EE8-A3BD-439B50331A6F.jpg

and it turned out that the excess paint on the rear tailgate was on the outside, no masking fail after all!

I am my worst enemy when it comes to paint, I rush it. So that’s enough for today. I can see if anything else needs tidying before I go on to the main colour next time - whenever that may be!!!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

@Willy iine I might have been better off with a toothpick as I took a smidgen too much off the top of the window pillar on one side

3C390B6E-A6C9-46AD-9D4B-44574F66D022.jpg

but overall, I’m very happy. Really neatened up the rear lower corners. Not perfect but the best I have done yet - I think this is my fourth.

A8BDAA78-E7A8-4EE8-A3BD-439B50331A6F.jpg

and it turned out that the excess paint on the rear tailgate was on the outside, no masking fail after all!

I am my worst enemy when it comes to paint, I rush it. So that’s enough for today. I can see if anything else needs tidying before I go on to the main colour next time - whenever that may be!!!

I realise this may be a bit late now (and honestly I'm not trying to be a smart A-double-snakes - really I'm not!! :) ) but a top little tip I've found when removing over spray like this is to mask the paint you want to keep, so you have a hard line to go to with the cotton bud etc, which makes it much easier to keep a nice straight (or curved) edge.

Great job though - looking forward to seeing it done!! :) 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @jonboy1, if I'd been a bit more patient after removing the masking tape I might have caught that tip and done a better job! Never mind - one for next time. I did say that I rush paintwork!

Seeing the last photo on the big screen I can see there is more clean up to do, possibly even remedial work on the rear screen. I'd better sort it before applying the next colour...yellow!

1 minute ago, Badcrumble said:

Thanks @jonboy1, if I'd been a bit more patient after removing the masking tape I might have caught that tip and done a better job! Never mind - one for next time. I did say that I rush paintwork!

Seeing the last photo on the big screen I can see there is more clean up to do, possibly even remedial work on the rear screen. I'd better sort it before applying the next colour...yellow!

Ooooh - ok then - here's another top tip in time!

Hold a piece of white paper next to the inside of the "unpainted" parts of the body - makes it much easier to see where the paint has got when it isn't supposed to have. Sooooo annoying when you only see it after applying a couple of coats of another colour!!

• Thanks 1

Had another great run at the beach this evening. 

IMG20210609210307_compress82.thumb.jpg.08b2e3c820c9109ed6715e337b77c5d2.jpg

Put the sand paddles on the kit wheel as they look way better than the chrome ones 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

First time with an HPI shell. It's much tougher than Tamiya lexan. Decals are hateful too. Much more give in the Tamiya ones.

Just the rear bumper and spoiler to go..

IMG_20210609_231636.jpg

IMG_20210609_231621.jpg

• Like 11

Installed 6 more floating shelves today.   Please ignore the stuff on the floor and musical keyboard as the floor will have an RC track in 1.5 years.  My temporary eva track is in the living room..

IMG_Jun92021at54549PM.jpg.58db8c44636c82645a64dda32757699b.jpg

• Like 10

Between yesterday and today I performed some maintenance on the RC10 and the Manta Ray.  I've ordered a Robinson Racing 11t hardened pinion for the JPS as with the stock 15t it's geared way too high, with the motor soon overheating (the old Futaba esc probably not helping). I've also replaced the O rings in the rear right shock of the Manta since the old ones were munched up and leaking. Tried it out and no more leaking now

20210609-212727.jpg

While working on the cars, this little fella came out of the woods. It didn't take long to become friends!

Ready to race...20210609-212940.jpg

naughty🐿Screenshot-20210607-101937-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20210607-101909-Video-Player.

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, Ferruz said:

While working on the cars, this little fella came out of the woods. It didn't take long to become friends!

Ready to race...20210609-212940.jpg

It's always funny to see all those animals on your pictures which are so interested in your cars and you. This would probably never happen to me. Even my dog is scared of my RC cars.

And if I didn't mentioned yet: Your RC10 is such a great looking car. I love the JPS livery, black and gold will be forever a perfect combination for race cars.

• Thanks 1

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me...

New

I love my wife so much!

Now to scour the net for hop ups!

• Like 10

Built my new 50519 dampers in 70mm for my Dual Hunter refresh. Added a slim collar as the springs were a little loose.

653F98C3-0A37-471F-BB15-17CE1801ED1B.jpg

I like building dampers and enjoyed it even more using my Fastrax damper stand, Tamiya 2mm e clip tool and new TRF damper pliers.

E473A7B2-8D3E-4074-B2EB-9D3AE2929D55.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks @Willy iine. Unfortunately, I'd left my small files at home so have a few nubs on the outside to clean up. The pistons were tidy though. Phew.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me...

New

I love my wife so much!

Now to scour the net for hop ups!

Nice present! Happy Birthday!

• Thanks 1