Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Excellent work there @Jonny Crumpet

As an ex-Alfa owner (1:1) I'd be tempted to go for one of those myself but I doubt my bodywork would match your standard!

I like the way the window trim mimics a 1:1 with the area for the rear view mirror. Did you install it on the inside?

You've got some good 'scale' shots too :D.

I think those wheels are perfectly suitable but it would be nice if you could find some 'telephone dials' in the touring car size. I picked up the M-chassis rims for my Mini after you drew my attention to them!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Excellent work there @Jonny Crumpet

As an ex-Alfa owner (1:1) I'd be tempted to go for one of those myself but I doubt my bodywork would match your standard!

I like the way the window trim mimics a 1:1 with the area for the rear view mirror. Did you install it on the inside?

You've got some good 'scale' shots too :D.

I think those wheels are perfectly suitable but it would be nice if you could find some 'telephone dials' in the touring car size. I picked up the M-chassis rims for my Mini after you drew my attention to them!

Thanks.

This is my first body so I think you could totally do this. Its also not perfect. There are a few paint splodges and bleed through in spots where shoegoo was used and reacted with magnets / marker pen and on the light buckets when aligning 

The window trim is Tamiya PS black on the outside. I drew the design freehand with fine marker on the protective film then cut it with a Hobby knife and sprayed it.

This method gave me an idea for my next one when taking off some aditional masking ontop of the film as the contrast from sprayed matt black mask fadded and metallic looked ace but was sat on the film.

I did try placing some more decals namely a big Alfa serpent logo on the roof but you could see both the edge of the decal and that it was hovering over the colour via a shadow so decided to remove this and just keep to the badges done on my printer and hand cut with silver backed body.

• Like 2

Before I bought my 146, there was a big serpent logo across the rear window. That came off before I took delivery!

I think you did the right thing keeping it off yours @Jonny Crumpet, it looks mean B).

• Thanks 1

i got my slash "upgraded" today and pretty much added an extra slash tire onto the kit... i got the trenchers installed on the slash today, the hubs were stupidly easy and confusing at the same time to install. i apparently cant read the notes on the hub parts to see which fit where as the specs for rear 2wd and all 4x4 are the same but the front 2wd are 1mm narrower. the stock tires are 105 grams and the completed trenchers are 132 grams, the extra weight of the 4 tires pretty much adds to putting a stock tire on the body shell baja style and keep the 4 stock tires on the kit. havent yet had a chance today to rip some grass but it might be a bit slower to an extent. still havent put the highspeed gear in the transmission yet or pulled the trigger on buying a LCG tray.

i was looking at the trees for the 2 sets of tire hubs and wondering which of the 2 to remove from the 2nd set for the front tires. i compared it to the one i used for the rear and saw a mathematical issue. 2 trays with each with 2 front hubs and 2 rear hubs for a total of 4 front hubs and 4 rear hubs between the 2 parts trees... :huh: i put the second complete tree away for spares after comparing the 2 trees...

IMG_4539a.jpg

IMG_4540a.jpg

IMG_4541a.jpg

@Jonny Crumpet

those look like the wheels that came with my GTR R33 kit. i ruined those within minutes likely to newbie abuse trying to do hard drifts on mostly smooth pavement. one is still good, 2 minor cracks and the other is Kaput. i still miss using those 3 rims on my kit...

ive since moved to running aluminum rims for road conditions.

• Like 4

20210618_152531 (2)

Took the re-re Bruiser out today. Here it is flexin' with its basher body on. I don't drive this one often. I love the Bruiser's looks. I love the Bruiser in photos. I love the Bruiser on the old Tamiya promos. I love building and wrenching on it too. I just don't love driving it. Its cool and all and I'm blessed to own it but the fun-to-dollar ratio is much better with my trusty ol' Blackfoot. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Its still an awesome piece of Tamiya goodness.

• Like 11

Continued prepping my M chassis cars for a run this Sunday - assuming the weather allows!

Finished the Mini for El Kid - installed a 1060 ESC and his preferred radio gear. Gave it a test and reversed the servo throw. It is a shame the radio doesn't have EPA given his vigorous wheel turning but I doubt we'll be running long enough for him to burn the servo out. Famous last words!

Looking over my M05-RA I found a loose ball connector on the steering assembly. I vaguely remember it coming detached in the last run and looking closer, I found that the 1mm spacer that sits behind it was missing. Located a spacer (black not blue so I'll need to fix that or swap the other one later) and reinstalled with threadlock. Also adjusted the main steering arm. The whole assembly has some play, more than I'd like considering it is fully hopped up other than a servo saver / horn. 

Stuck the ESC down with Velcro. Tomorrow I install the radio gear and test.

Moving on to the M04, I have decided to stick with the BMW shell. I did some repairs to the the rear Velcro body mount and removed the horrible cup and ball body mounts at the front - somehow without wrecking the paint! 

I have attempted another homebrew solution - magnets glued to plastic Tamiya bushings wedged on to the body posts. Matching magnets shoo gooed to the body. We shall see...

Tomorrow will be body test fitting and radio gear test.

Phew!

• Like 4

@Badcrumble Does your radio have Dual Rate to dial out his servo travel?  Sounds like you had a busy day!

For me nothing exciting, but a necessity as I need the ability to move my M38 display table from time to time.  Added casters!

IMG_Jun182021at45124PM.jpg.df3e1a2f2b49c67966ad082ea8ceef09.jpg

• Like 5

@Jonny Crumpet stunning car and gorgeous photos! 👍

I finally got around to installing the 11T pinion on the RC10. I took the car for a quick test drive and the gearing is now much better, although the motor will still get pretty hot eventually. I can see why these babies all had open endbell motors back in the day. Now it's probably time to sort out some proper on road tires, as the buggy now literally spins around on a dime. If I get a little more traction on the rear tires, that crazy sharp steering shall become manageable again.

On a non RC note, I did swing by the dollar store today for a cheap static mpdel fix and came out with 6 Hot Wheels :ph34r: good for me that I held back, a few years ago I would have bought many more. They've finally decided to produce the Lancia Delta Integrale, can't resist Lancia (I only hold back from a 1:10 Tamiya cause I know it would be the gateway to many more on road cars) so I had to get two of those.

With the last energies after a long, physical work day, I gave the opened one the little extra soul it deserved: front emblem, HF and red line, and rear lights. Not my best work at all, might pick it up again when I'm rested. Still better than before, I can't suffer models that lack the emblem!

20210618-193346.jpg

20210618-193320.jpg

• Like 8

It seems I have an RC spurt at the beginning of each decade, early 90's, early 00's, early 10's and now early 20's... that's quite the coincidence. So having finished my Hilux I've been pondering my other projects. I woke up early this morning and, whilst wishing I was still asleep, made a plan to go and collect everything RC I had in my storage unit, some boxed and forgotten about since about 2003. At the very least I need to catalogue it all. 

Here's what I hauled home, all RC related...

From_Storage.jpg

And here are two photos I found from years ago to tease the contents, I have no idea what else in in there... 

Storage_Prevew_01.jpg

Storage_Preview_02.jpg

🥰

Exciting times!

• Like 10

Little trail walk earlier, had a ton of fun (should have got video of the streambed crossing) but lost a lugnut (and almost a wheel) on the way home!

trailwalk_061821.jpg

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Xmas in June at djmcnz’s place!  :lol:

Mid-winter Christmas for those of us here in the bottom half! 

• Haha 1

Just now, djmcnz said:

Mid-winter Christmas for those of us here in the bottom half! 

That’s right!  Summer is cold there.   Keep warm!

2 hours ago, Ferruz said:

On a non RC note, I did swing by the dollar store today for a cheap static mpdel fix and came out with 6 Hot Wheels :ph34r: good for me that I held back, a few years ago I would have bought many more. They've finally decided to produce the Lancia Delta Integrale, can't resist Lancia (I only hold back from a 1:10 Tamiya cause I know it would be the gateway to many more on road cars) so I had to get two of those.

With the last energies after a long, physical work day, I gave the opened one the little extra soul it deserved: front emblem, HF and red line, and rear lights. Not my best work at all, might pick it up again when I'm rested. Still better than before, I can't suffer models that lack the emblem!

20210618-193346.jpg

20210618-193320.jpg

Nice, I got one of these today.. will paint the tails over the weekend   

IMG_Jun182021at92018PM.jpg

• Like 2

I started unpacking my RC boxes from storage (see previous post here), it was pretty epic remembering what I had left and reminiscing about what I've since sold on.

Some highlights...

Boxed_01.jpg

1992 RRC Mag (UK) with Super Astute and Top Force reviews...

1992_RRC_Mag.jpg

So many model shops were advertising in this magazine, it was an amazing scene back then, check out the prices!

1992_RRC_Mag_Ad.jpg

Dyna Storm re-re shelfer, professionally painted with driver figure and genuine Tamiya carbon chassis... the NIB one is an original release.

Dyna_Storm_Shelfer_01.jpg

The beast, professionally painted TFE shelfer...

TFE_Shelfer_01.jpg

Professionally painted Sand Scorcher shelfer with full RC Channel metal kit and wheels, alu stinger exhaust and Buggy Champ diff...

Sand_Scorcher_Shelfer_01.jpg

Drum roll... the OG posi-joints, full set...

OG_Posi_Joints.jpg

And perhaps my next project? A mega vintage TA02 build? Some Hop-Up's not pictured, all acquired pre-re-re so mega expensive...

Vintage_TA02.jpg

Oh, and some of you may remember this one from this thread...

TF_Evo_Beyond_01.jpg

Heaps of boxes of loose and mixed parts to sort starting tomorrow, it will probably take a week! 😮

• Like 13

10 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Badcrumble Does your radio have Dual Rate to dial out his servo travel?  Sounds like you had a busy day!

Thanks @Willy iine, I'll give it a try. Not the most intuitive of controls but I think I might have worked out how to change it!

That was a busy 1.5 hours, hence no photos!

Got the battery and radio installed in the M05-RA and repositioned the servo at rest so it should run true.

Two cars ready - M03 Mini for the boy, M05-RA Swift for my Dad.

Moved on the the M04. The magnets seemed to have worked though you can see them through the body - the paint had never been backed - but as this is no shelf queen I'm not worried. We'll see if the magnet method holds up to running.

The body sits quite a bit higher than it did with the HPI wheels but there is plenty of suspension travel so we'll call it 'running height'!

I need to re-bond my rx and centre the servo so a little more work to do.

Then assemble a pit box and we're ready!

What has this taught me? Service the cars post- run so they are always ready to take out!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jonny Crumpet said:

Finish this, pending posible wheel change if I ever find the right thing ( in stock )

Gorgeous, the photos look like the 1:1 car! Alfa fan myself, with a 1:1 Mito and a Mito body for an M07 chassis that I'm going to build one of these days.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ferruz said:

20210618-193320.jpg

nice.  i had a thing for hotwheels until last year when the 2 place by me stopped stocking them for some reason so i got out of buying them and they have started stocking them again but i have missed that many so i don't go anywhere near them any more plus i have ran out of room to keep them as i they are in 3 huge storage box's but i did manage to get some real nice 50th anniversary ones. i even watched the unboxing and hunting videos on u-tube(yes i know sad:P) lamley group was the main one i watched

i will be putting them up for sale as soon as i get chance

On 6/18/2021 at 12:54 PM, silvertriple said:
PDs6Rwn.jpg

My kids are in love with the CW-01 chassis. I had to order those in order to be able to get my hands again on my own Lunchbox :-D

The Lunchbox is for  my daughter, while my son wanted a Midnight Pumpkin, but he will likely run it with a polycarbonate Lunchbox body shell... I did not opened the boxes, but digged into the manuals for the two kits in order to understand how to allow the use of the two bodies with the same chassis.

The rear looks easy to solve by just combining the body mounts stl files and merge them...

Vo0mkpi.jpg

The front is mode difficult, as the body mount from the Midnight Pumpkin are mounted toward the external side of the body... I decided to design a parts which will be mounted on top of the Lunchbox body and will be maintained with a body clip...
F3NYveq.jpg

It should work. I'll print samples and will test as soon as my son is allowed to open the box (they both know that it won't be the case until they are in holidays, which means : "not yet")...

It worked perfectly for the front (yes, I opened the Midnight Pumpkin box to check my work :-D)... But it is a deception for the rear. The Midnight Pumpkin body is too narrow for the Lunchbox body.

I went back to the drawing board and made another design for the rear with the intention to use the midnight pumpkin body mount and adaptator to allow the mount of the Lunchbox body...

GqI5fRR.jpg

Test later on, once printed...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, c64orinoco said:

Gorgeous, the photos look like the 1:1 car! Alfa fan myself, with a 1:1 Mito and a Mito body for an M07 chassis that I'm going to build one of these days.

Mmmm, that sounds like a nice project. 

Got my M04 ready after fighting with my radio gear. Not sure if the tx has a fault, the throttle was either unresponsive or unstoppable. Changed the batteries, no difference. Then couldn't find the bind plug for my other Tx / Rx combo so pillaged the Rx from my JK trail rig. Swapped it in and all OK.

Everything boxed up with spare batteries ready to go in the car tomorrow morning. Forecast looks OK.

• Like 4