Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sorting through some old stuff today (going to attempt to shift some old Action Force and Warhammer stuff on eBay) I came across a newspaper article I had kept.

DSC_14262.jpg

This had most likely been passed to me to read by my Grandfather - an F1 fan and Sunday Mail reader.

I hadn't known that Tamiya had sponsored Lotus. Would be cool to have a Tamiya model with true Tamiya sponsor stickers!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, nel33 said:

are you sure you didnt just switch the bodies on us? it looks like it was never broken off... do you have a parts body that you get all those fixed sections from? you did a great job to fix it and make it look like it was never damaged.

Thanks, nel33.  

This is my jig body where I set my Willy drivers for cementing their arms while I work on their vehicle bodies.  

I chop and swap a lot of things off this body and this is where I got the fender from this time.  I only use Tamiya cement and their basic putty.   In the future I am going to sand plastic material off this body to mix with the cement for faster surfacing work.  Putty shrinks a bit and takes several layers to make flush whereas I can make a plastic/cement mix for faster surface bonding work.  

IMG_Jul22021at24615PM.jpg.9869d7d477493ad07037195ed9e41d71.jpg

So I decided the motor on the chassis is definitely shot, so used a 3D printed collar I bought to run a more modern silver can with a different end bell shape.  I have to say the 3D part is sub-par for this motor as you can see it is not a good fit… and too thick.  I had to shim the entire bulkhead outward to accommodate.  I am also using an aftermarket pinion and considering how worn the idler is the gear box makes a slight weird noise.   It drives fine though, no binding or anything like that.   I’ll drive it more until the gears match the wear.  

IMG_Jul22021at24550PM.jpg.ef42e696fb76a483b20bf29daf4430dc.jpg

• Like 5

Some progress made today...
ZZ7vu0L.jpg

Next is shocks, electronic and there will be the roll cage and the pilot...

It definitely goes faster than expected.... And the paintjob is very limited

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks, nel33.  

This is my jig body where I set my Willy drivers for cementing their arms while I work on their vehicle bodies.  

I chop and swap a lot of things off this body and this is where I got the fender from this time.  I only use Tamiya cement and their basic putty.   In the future I am going to sand plastic material off this body to mix with the cement for faster surfacing work.  Putty shrinks a bit and takes several layers to make flush whereas I can make a plastic/cement mix for faster surface bonding work.  

IMG_Jul22021at24615PM.jpg.9869d7d477493ad07037195ed9e41d71.jpg

So I decided the motor on the chassis is definitely shot, so used a 3D printed collar I bought to run a more modern silver can with a different end bell shape.  I have to say the 3D part is sub-par for this motor as you can see it is not a good fit… and too thick.  I had to shim the entire bulkhead outward to accommodate.  I am also using an aftermarket pinion and considering how worn the idler is the gear box makes a slight weird noise.   It drives fine though, no binding or anything like that.   I’ll drive it more until the gears match the wear.  

IMG_Jul22021at24550PM.jpg.ef42e696fb76a483b20bf29daf4430dc.jpg

nice job though that jig body is hurting a bit LOL. if you keep buying more of these models you might need to order a 2 parts body. i have som ideas to change the rear bumper of my lunchbox to a rectangular shape but the only item i see i can use is some lexan bits from the other kits i built. im not a fan of the 2 pipe rear bumper especially when i have a certain idea for it...

1 hour ago, nel33 said:

nice job though that jig body is hurting a bit LOL. if you keep buying more of these models you might need to order a 2 parts body. i have som ideas to change the rear bumper of my lunchbox to a rectangular shape but the only item i see i can use is some lexan bits from the other kits i built. im not a fan of the 2 pipe rear bumper especially when i have a certain idea for it...

Yeah, that body (my jig) was a mess to start when I bought it used so decided to not restore it and just run the chassis using another entirely different body.  

Is that like a mouse hole cutout you want to fill?   Did your body come with parts you won't use made of the same material?  You can use that to cut it into general shape and use blobs of Tamiya cement to fuse it into that opening.  Then sand into the shape.  

It's always good to test it on something else before you do it though..  I had a member ruin his side mirrors when I made a suggestion so I get a bit worried when I comment stuff.  :wacko:

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Yeah, that body (my jig) was a mess to start when I bought it used so decided to not restore it and just run the chassis using another entirely different body.  

Is that like a mouse hole cutout you want to fill?   Did your body come with parts you won't use made of the same material?  You can use that to cut it into general shape and use blobs of Tamiya cement to fuse it into that opening.  Then sand into the shape.  

It's always good to test it on something else before you do it though..  I had a member ruin his side mirrors when I made a suggestion so I get a bit worried when I comment stuff.  :wacko:

its more of using the tube bumper as a frame/support and make a more conventional van/truck rear bumper. covering the back is fine but getting the angles to make square corners on the sides, top/bottom. i dont really have much material to adapt to the bumper aside from scrap lexan pieces. i tossed the small bits but you never know when you need a decent piece to try a paint on for a test.

im mostly considering finding the ideal part, cut to right size and glue it to the bumper but i need to verify the mounting method for the bumper to make sure i dont seal it in.

got this done on the Manta today

IMG_4578.jpg

IMG_4579a.jpg

• Like 3

Installed the parts that the postman brought me...

Into my M-05 Pro...

M05MonteMini01.jpg

And started cataloguing my stuff, more details in the M Chassis thread...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Finished the latest M38 today.  This is the “last” M38 I will ever restore.   ..Until next time.  :lol:  I will be taking a break from the GP though.  

This is the side that had the broken fender. More pictures in the latest build thread if anyone has time to look.

IMG_Jul22021at102117AM.jpg.edc2aaea3063f3326e96c1dac1c5310c.jpg

That came out looking great!

• Thanks 1

Shocks are now done and mounted
pJNkxSv.jpg

Also installed the servo and the receiver. Next is ESC and motor. I need to identify the right way to pass the cables, and the right positioning of my motors as the tabs are really close from the motor guard itself once the motor is in the chassis...I'm tempted to add washers between the motor and the motor plate to allow more room... 

It's a nice build, and it is already reaching the 10 hours work...

• Like 5

At a park early in the morning with the family again. I brought my Blackfoot from the "blueprinting the Blackfoot" thread I did awhile back. Its tightest, quietest ORV monster I've ever built. Nothing broke, came loose or fell off. Even with just 540 silvercan power it was fun. Hope to get decades of use out of this one. 

20210703_075323 (2) 20210703_075305(1) 20210703_075301 (2)

• Like 11

Work is almost done. Remains the driver to paint and to build, and some decals... (or maybe a black roll cage if I can find one).
B01pHzZ.jpg

Followed the manual. At the end, I plugged the battery (RX was already bind), set the direction on reverse on the TX, adjusted the center point just looking at the wheels and it runs straight in both forward and backward (It is an Optima, I was told it is one of the characteristic of this chassis : it is easy to drive, as it is very sharp on this aspect).

I guess the paintjob for the driver won't be today (weather is actually bad, which is the reason I did work on this rather than doing something else)... As part of my next activity, I need to update my build threads...

• Like 11

Decided to sell up :( keep an eye on trade forum and ebay!

• Sad 6

Fitted my not-so-recently built dampers to my refreshed Dual Hunter with Yeah Racing universal shafts and metal hexes.

Shimmed with a 1mm washer behind the hex pin to remove the driveshaft and wheel wobble.

The stock long springs were waaay too soft so I swapped the original kit springs back in - much better even if not as shiny!

• Like 3

Kicking myself for not picking up your Subaru NBR @Wez-li. A shame you've decided to sell up, you've had some nice kit.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Kicking myself for not picking up your Subaru NBR @Wez-li. A shame you've decided to sell up, you've had some nice kit.

Cheers, just no clubs near me to race and priced out of "collecting" shame really but falling out of love with it all.:(

1 hour ago, Wez-li said:

Cheers, just no clubs near me to race and priced out of "collecting" shame really but falling out of love with it all.:(

Sorry to hear that but I can understand. The days of finding reasonably priced restoration candidates seem to be coming to a close. One has to dig a lot harder to find something not overpriced. Rising prices from manufacturers (albeit, many times, Covid related) doesn't help. I intend on slowly working through my project stack but don't intend on buying much more in the hobby. My only real hope is we see some more Kyosho re-releases as that's all I seem to really look forward to. Hopefully you can hang on to some of your collection and perhaps the love will return some day.

• Like 1

A bit of a Ghetto mod (geez remember that thread anyone!?!) for the power switch on the FB. I was looking for a piece of something 5mm square and 10mm long to use to no avail, so I’ve ended up cutting the corner off a plastic box and used it as an angle bracket so the switch can be operated from underneath with the body on.

1BAEA50F-7640-494B-BBA1-7400ED64ED92.jpg

Also got all the electrics attached in their permanent position, put some spare runner SRB wheels on and had a test run out on the driveway. I think I’m going to like this buggy 😁

A89F1086-DFF9-4101-9E62-7332173F1EDB.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

A bit of a Ghetto mod (geez remember that thread anyone!?!) for the power switch on the FB. I was looking for a piece of something 5mm square and 10mm long to use to no avail, so I’ve ended up cutting the corner off a plastic box and used it as an angle bracket so the switch can be operated from underneath with the body on.

1BAEA50F-7640-494B-BBA1-7400ED64ED92.jpg

Also got all the electrics attached in their permanent position, put some spare runner SRB wheels on and had a test run out on the driveway. I think I’m going to like this buggy 😁

A89F1086-DFF9-4101-9E62-7332173F1EDB.jpg

I’ll be interested to read your thoughts when you have run it on how it compares to your Rough Rider 

I’ve had 4 Super Champs over the years but I’ve never run one and the one I have kept has a the ball diff but I can’t bring myself to use it as it is a shelf queen. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wez-li said:

I see you’re in West Yorkshire - same. If anything I’d just like a get together for some fun. Not to interested in serious racing but yeah there is nothing that close unless you’re prepared to drive an hour or so.. and being a one car family it isn’t always practical. Wonder how many folks live in a reasonable radius to make something happen ?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

I’ll be interested to read your thoughts when you have run it on how it compares to your Rough Rider 

I’ve had 4 Super Champs over the years but I’ve never run one and the one I have kept has a the ball diff but I can’t bring myself to use it as it is a shelf queen. 

Holy Dooley @Grumpy pants, 4 Super Champ’s!! I’ve got some catching up to do, it’s taken me nearly 40 years to get 1 😉. Well what I suggest is order a Fighting Buggy immediately, build and run it before they all disappear again👍🏻

First impressions with the few minutes are very good. It is very similar to the Buggy Champ, the turning circle is tighter on the BC mainly due to the Servo Saver’s being different. Both of mine have Ball Diff’s (I haven’t actually driven an SRB without one) and I’ve got another in a packet just in case. 

Sure there’s better newer stuff around but SRBs are what they are and I like them for that. You usually either have a smile on your face, or a disappointing stomach swirl with the first pull of the throttle with a new car and it was definitely a smile today. I am lead to believe the Fighting Buggy body is a bit more fragile than the Buggy Champ. The Fighting Buggy is going to be my Bacon Sandwich kind of day RC’ing, just having a nice time without all the paraphernalia but still ticking the box nicely.

(I am also just enjoying the nostalgic bubble too)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cynan said:

I see you’re in West Yorkshire - same. If anything I’d just like a get together for some fun. Not to interested in serious racing but yeah there is nothing that close unless you’re prepared to drive an hour or so.. and being a one car family it isn’t always practical. Wonder how many folks live in a reasonable radius to make something happen ?!

That's a kind offer thanks, but I've sold most of my collection already and just put the last two Tamiyas I own on ebay! Well, apart from the 787b, they'll have to take that from my dead lifeless fingers :lol:

If you can find a nice smooth car park I might be tempted to bring it out of retirement ;)

• Like 1

Finished off a video. A recently vacated storage compound that was used by a company while they repaired some bridges makes a great bash spot. Need to make the most of it before the grass grows back! A similar thing happened last year but plot was vacated right in the middle of lockdown 1 and by the time I could get to it the grass was already starting to grow back.

Hopefully I'll be able to get more use out of this place (although 5 days of rain just set in<_<)

Anyways, enjoy!

• Like 9