Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Feeling like I’ve just written my memoirs today.

I picked up some Uni-ball Signo Gel Roller pens for tyre lettering. I practiced on the Wild One runner wheels first so it didn’t matter if it was a mess. After discovering that it’s a heck of a lot easier than using paint I moved on to re-do my Scorcher wheels, then put my FB wheels together and did those (2 of which are on the car) I used Silver on the FB but doesn’t really look much different to the White on the others but goes with the theme nicely none the less.

Time for a break as I’ve gone a bit crossed eyed now..

F05675D2-FFF7-4C85-8CD8-F387B1199619.jpg

• Like 11

made some good progress on the lunchbox, my excuse to procrastinate on painting the body might be ending soon... not going to place the on off switch in the prescribed position. going to place it on the top deck near the area the motor wires fish through. some rubber mat piece and aquarium silicon to hold it in place to cover the hole  left under the chassis.

IMG_4582a.jpg

IMG_4586a.jpg

IMG_4588a.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

JPL Trailhead?  Where are you located?  There’s a JPL not far from me, and our local crawler group is looking for fresh blood….

closest cross streets to me are lake and new york. theres only one jpl. 

I am really tired today and was extremely clumsy while painting.. kept dropping the part I was painting or bumping it against another part, etc.  

Anyway turned out fine after some words..

IMG_Jul72021at112256AM.jpg.fcd68eb68b475c5ef90c8b7d75a40870.jpg

• Like 8

And another pilot is done....
HxR7b9f.jpg

He's now waiting patiently the team manager decide what stickers to put on the roll cage
elY7MP9.jpg

• Like 9

Got moved to another temporary place, this time an Airb&b. Feeling a bot disoriented, but I get to drive the cars on the roof of an actual mechanic garage! I only kept two with me, the others are stored but accessible.

... and there's new neighbours to temporarily weird out with my rc activity, yay:rolleyes:

20210707-200618.jpg

20210707-200756.jpg

20210707-202733.jpg

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Feeling like I’ve just written my memoirs today.

I picked up some Uni-ball Signo Gel Roller pens for tyre lettering. I practiced on the Wild One runner wheels first so it didn’t matter if it was a mess. After discovering that it’s a heck of a lot easier than using paint I moved on to re-do my Scorcher wheels, then put my FB wheels together and did those (2 of which are on the car) I used Silver on the FB but doesn’t really look much different to the White on the others but goes with the theme nicely none the less.

Time for a break as I’ve gone a bit crossed eyed now..

F05675D2-FFF7-4C85-8CD8-F387B1199619.jpg

Some hard work there, and they all turned out great! Now the obvious question... did you do both sides? :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ferruz said:

Some hard work there, and they all turned out great! Now the obvious question... did you do both sides? :ph34r:

😱 The other side!?!?!……erm….nope 🤣

Enjoy the Air B&B, just treat it like a holiday, we’ve stayed in many in different countries and haven’t had a bad one yet 👍🏻

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Anyway turned out fine after some words..

IMG_Jul72021at112256AM.jpg.fcd68eb68b475c5ef90c8b7d75a40870.jpg

A FAV Willy? Looking forward to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Enjoy the Air B&B, just treat it like a holiday, we’ve stayed in many in different countries and haven’t had a bad one yet 👍🏻

Thank you. We love AirB&B too, just this one feels weird since it's literally two blocks away from our condo 🤣 makes it a little harder to play tourist lol

• Like 1

Called by my LHS (to try on my best charm for something else) and got asked if I wanted these.

Apparently a customer asked him if he could give them to someone who would appreciate them. I already saw them both and asked what's the deal with them both, (I normally fix customers RCs) so became the lucky new owner!

The got a shock when inside the Nikko battery box was a nearly brand new Tamiya SC1200! 🤩

e6alZz0.jpg

Pu8zoG9.jpg

6EyoqgM.jpg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Thank you. We love AirB&B too, just this one feels weird since it's literally two blocks away from our condo 🤣 makes it a little harder to play tourist lol

try wearing socks with sandals - that usually makes me feel like a proper tourist! ;) 

hope you enjoy your stay and your home gets fixed very soon

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

@jonboy1: Are you a fellow german countryman? :D

Today I played around with my Super Astute and rebuild the front Hi-Caps.

Building the rere Hi-Caps is not difficult, but building them air free and with little rebound is. So I made a little video of how I assemble and optimize them:

• Like 6

So the clumsiness continued today .. popped open a fresh can of Diet Pepsi and spilled about half the can on my work bench in the garage aka 1:1 car lounge.  Took about 30 min cleaning up the mess as it got under my metal screw bin and the wall behind the work bench.  :blink:

Unlike you smart folks with all the CAD master expertise with 3D printing and all, only tools I have is a clumsy brain, pen, and a large envelope I found in the trash to make a draft proto.. :ph34r:

Even the center line isnt centered.. :lol:  I think I need new reading glasses..

IMG_Jul82021at32102PM.jpg.fea7720b3076279d0caf31248f24097c.jpg

IMG_Jul82021at32118PM.jpg.3ce46c74dfb802214bf48973b52d6a5a.jpg

The second one went in the trash as it was too narrow..

IMG_Jul82021at32132PM.jpg.371647aa74c86f78212df9cab93d17ba.jpg

IMG_Jul82021at32154PM.jpg.93c6367078cb81ab8f7277adc4da09b1.jpg

Still a ways to go till the finish line... 

• Like 12

Today I went full Occam's razor when trying to figure out what caused the cogging/seizing on my re re Optima. I had most everything in pieces twice before noticing that both wheels on the right side had popped out on the inside. A gratuitous amount of glue later and everything was in order. Now I just need to buy threadlock by the barrel to get every screw to stay in place. 

IMG_4778.jpg

• Like 7

decided to drop some more money into the pit on a perfectly working RC. the manta isnt yet complete but i have a HW1060 that will go into it or that was the initial plan... not happy in with the low/none stock drag brake rate of the TBle02 and HW1060 in general, its not a deal breaker  as i adapt to it. dropping money on a HW 1080, one 5000MAH NIMH battery that comes with XT60 connector from manufacturer and ordering 10 pairs of XT60 plugs.  dont want to risk soldering the current 3 tamiya plug batteries and ruining them as i probably would with my skills... gonna make XT60-> tamiya connector for charging purposes and adapter to use the other 3 tamiya plug batteries on the HW1080. i want more control of the motor than the good buget ESCs give. pairing a HW1080 with Flysky GT5 transmitter to  control the TD and Manta.

i hate it when i can just toss money into the hobby and still have the capacity to buy even more items for the money pit/addiction. thank god the manta is the only kit with a 15T brushed motor/18T pinion that makes the upgrades seem like a good idea to consider... the 1060 i will run the manta on for the time being until its all in can be saved for that rainy day the TBLE02s on the lunchbox goes. my first 02S was a lemon and i lost all faith in the roulette game of defective/reliable choices.

i also took the few minutes it takes to secure the differential gear cover on the rear gear box. next step would be to install the gear into the black plastic parts.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Willy iine said:

IMG_Jul82021at32154PM.jpg.93c6367078cb81ab8f7277adc4da09b1.jpg

Nice 👍🏻, it’s good to see a Willy getting a different vehicle as the the only I could tell the others apart was by the helmets 😉

• Haha 1

Its been a long time since i posted on here but thought i would share some wheels i created for the Avante Mk2 :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Nice 👍🏻, it’s good to see a Willy getting a different vehicle as the the only I could tell the others apart was by the helmets 😉

Thanks!  Should I paint the roof matte black or leave it brushed aluminum?  I think I should paint that and the suspension arms black, leave the front scuff plate silver.

What do you all think?  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks!  Should I paint the roof matte black or leave it brushed aluminum?  I think I should paint that and the suspension arms black, leave the front scuff plate silver.

What do you all think?  

Leave the roof unpainted. It looks awesome. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tamiya_1971 said:

Leave the roof unpainted. It looks awesome. 

Thanks.  I’m pretty certain I want the front arms black.  I mean I can always revert back to the brushed aluminum so not a huge deal I suppose.  

9 hours ago, nel33 said:

decided to drop some more money into the pit on a perfectly working RC. the manta isnt yet complete but i have a HW1060 that will go into it or that was the initial plan... not happy in with the low/none stock drag brake rate of the TBle02 and HW1060 in general, its not a deal breaker  as i adapt to it. dropping money on a HW 1080, one 5000MAH NIMH battery that comes with XT60 connector from manufacturer and ordering 10 pairs of XT60 plugs.  dont want to risk soldering the current 3 tamiya plug batteries and ruining them as i probably would with my skills... gonna make XT60-> tamiya connector for charging purposes and adapter to use the other 3 tamiya plug batteries on the HW1080. i want more control of the motor than the good buget ESCs give. pairing a HW1080 with Flysky GT5 transmitter to  control the TD and Manta.

i hate it when i can just toss money into the hobby and still have the capacity to buy even more items for the money pit/addiction. thank god the manta is the only kit with a 15T brushed motor/18T pinion that makes the upgrades seem like a good idea to consider... the 1060 i will run the manta on for the time being until its all in can be saved for that rainy day the TBLE02s on the lunchbox goes. my first 02S was a lemon and i lost all faith in the roulette game of defective/reliable choices.

i also took the few minutes it takes to secure the differential gear cover on the rear gear box. next step would be to install the gear into the black plastic parts.

Wait until you start working on 1:1 cars.  Add 1-2 digits easily.  :lol:

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

What do you all think?  

I say black it all out. B)

The full tactical look would suit it. Matte black and olive drab go hand in hand.

• Like 2

Just received notification that my "vintage" Blackfoot has shipped. I pray I didn't pay too much for something that doesn't exist in the gearbox. It looks from the pics like it's a Thorp rear-end. The shocks I have no idea. Lots of CRP parts on it so that's a plus. Busted to heck body, but I was going for the Thorp parts. I'll post pics once I receive it, unless, of course, I made a bad purchase and am too embarrassed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Wait until you start working on 1:1 cars.  Add 1-2 digits easily.  :lol:

I already had 2 1:1 cars, hand me down Chevy van before then bought new Ford Fiesta  back in 2011 which is running strong. The fiesta is holding up well given it's design issues that are known to occur on it. Only driver door panel has rust on underside as hit and run Hole person did a few years back. Rear shocks done and a muffler that is due someday.. otherwise it's just routine stuff.