Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Besides the drill bits, did the toolkit come together or did you get the items separately?

The kit includes everything besides the smaller drill bit. You can get it at ebay or Amazon. Maybe there are other places to purchase it but these are the one I know.

• Thanks 1

just tried gluing 1 side of my lunchie tires after making sure they are pointing in the right direction, i had enough for 3.85 sides of the tire interiors to use up the last bit of the krazy glue. gotta buy more  crazy glue.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, loco_oso said:

Celebrated my Birthday today! My wonderful and very supportive wife got me a Porsche 935 and Sand Scorcher body from Sabula Tech (definitely recommend), a FlySky FS-i6X, a servo tester, deburring tool, 60D mini tires, STRC Slash LCG conversion, 5x11 bearings, micro tires, RC10T4 carbon rear arms, Element front arms, ball cups, turnbuckles, and two ELO CDs! Whew! Plus a homemade cheesecake with raspberry compote. Easily one of most favorite Birthdays to date. :D

I have to ask, did she order any of that or just said go for gold so you ordered a bunch of things? 

My wife got me a Sand Scorcher for my birthday, but I had to organise it all (her input was "you know you have to organise that yourself right") but I had to order it.  Also used the excuse that I "needed" the ball diff for a shelfer which meant adding some TA07 bits too to that order...she doesn't know ball diffs don't cost USD90!

16 hours ago, nel33 said:

LOL I hope selling him wasn't an option on par to make room for another kit. My brother's German Shepard was a bit unruly when younger but she is more controlled as she got close to 1 or 2 years old, forgot her exact age but 2yrs is max.

1 kit? No. Two? Maybe.... ;) 

Yeah most people seem to say they've got a lot calmer by the time they get to 2, so, only another 19 months to go.........:unsure:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Willy iine said:

So what one-off car should I build next for Willy?

Food for thought?

IMG_2377.JPG.4f1562c74c1f65a0c11532246c45c6fc.JPG

IMG_1970.JPG.90787c94b9708dbf7a16ebd8e5bbd6e9.JPG

Not up to your standards but fun!!!!

• Like 4

@Willy iine  Thank you! I feel very lucky indeed!

@Jonathon Gillham  I did pick out the items and put them into a list of "potential ideas" but she bought all of it! My wife likes RCs as well, so I feel blessed to be able to share the hobby with her. 

• Like 1

I've hopefully got a week off coming up (unless work any throws curveballs, it has been known in the past).

Mrs BC and el kid are planning a trip away so I have pulled together list of jobs to do.

Column One is house/ garden

Column Two is RC.

It will be interesting to see how much of either l get done!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

1 kit? No. Two? Maybe.... ;) 

Yeah most people seem to say they've got a lot calmer by the time they get to 2, so, only another 19 months to go.........:unsure:

LOL, 2 kits or one very exoensuve kit? Must be very hectic trying to make sure he doesn't too much damage in his fun explorations. Your dog reminds me of that dog Josh from moonshiners happened to come across by chance that became his partner in daily life.

When trained properly all that puppy over excitememt and unpredictability goes away and they become calmer and predictable if not just very energetic wanting to play all the time. The Shepard always wants to play still but I can pet her and play without being jumped on from over excitement like when she was younger.

9 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Food for thought?

Thanks for the great ideas!   That modified Scorcher (?) definitely looks like fun.  I think I might do a Beetle next (GF01Tr based) and make it a convertible like yours as TamiyaUSA has them on sale.. but not sure yet as I have several chassis I could potentially re-purpose to work with the body.. but the body alone is like $75 shipped, so it's like why not just get a new kit for the convenience.    I'll think it over some more. 

This morning I drove my Fast Time Attack Vehicle and had a good time.    It drives nicely after I changed the front damper settings.  I want shorter dampers and springs on the front though if there is such a thing in that silver color.  

Also made a stand for my CC01.  I’m not really into realistic crawlers, but I always liked the LandCruiser and the somewhat added realism on that car is cool. 

IMG_Jul152021at15532PM.jpg.a4a2157cf9646babb3ff2958d5a1fb0f.jpg

IMG_Jul152021at20206PM.jpg.d8fed8fc7c8f50a3136923c6fb2d276e.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Food for thought?

IMG_2377.JPG.4f1562c74c1f65a0c11532246c45c6fc.JPG

keep an eye for the BBC lawsuit for copying the stig... im sure he took that van for a few timed laps.

Got a step closer to finishing my trail truck - bought a LiPo compatible charger.

Next step - buy a LiPo battery!

• Like 2

Finishing up my TB05D this evening, gave it a test run on the carpet. I’d put in a locked rear diff and front one way. However, on driving I was getting front one way,  but free wheeling going forward and drive in reverse! Looking back now, this might have some advantages, rwd then 4wd for manoeuvring (did someone else try this intentionally?), but after some puzzlement I have resolved it.

Turns out the TB04 one way I put in the front is not compatible with the tb05 front motor layout, seems it spins the other way. Handily the locked rear was made from a tb05 one way, so a swap and unlock/lock has sorted it all out. 

Tomorrow I can start to pick out a body, hopefully get it sprayed before summer is over (next week is it?)

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Got a step closer to finishing my trail truck - bought a LiPo compatible charger.

Next step - buy a LiPo battery!

Is this your first LiPo battery?   I have a handful of them, but stopped using them mainly because I've not needed so much power and just a pain to charge them each time just before use instead of charging a few NiMH and leaving them for days before I find time to run my cars.   Also powering them down to storage voltage after use.   My LiPo's have been in storage for 2-3yrs now at 3.75-3.85v per cell in a fire safe pouch inside a steel bin.  I check the voltage every 3 months.

• Like 1

did a bit of shopping today to get prepared. glue for tires with enough for 1-2 spare bottles, 25ft of 12 guage wire solder and flux. i think i have more than enough wire for a few adaptor wires...

IMG_4608.JPG

• Like 2

Junior Yoshi in bed time for some front end 2CV progress. Too tired to cut anything else out tonight.

IMG_20210716_000844.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Is this your first LiPo battery?   I have a handful of them, but stopped using them mainly because I've not needed so much power and just a pain to charge them each time just before use instead of charging a few NiMH and leaving them for days before I find time to run my cars.   Also powering them down to storage voltage after use.   My LiPo's have been in storage for 2-3yrs now at 3.75-3.85v per cell in a fire safe pouch inside a steel bin.  I check the voltage every 3 months.

Technically my second as my little SCX24 came with a little 1S pack which has a USB charger.

At the moment I’m only thinking of having LiPo for crawling - to save weight and increase the run time.

I bought a square six cell Nimh for my JK but the weight dragged the rear end down so it could barely get across the back garden. Stronger springs may have helped but I was planning a second truck anyway and then Mrs BC saw an Axial in the wild and liked it so maybe even a third one day - one each!

I certainly don’t need more power in my Tamiya, silver cans and Nimh are enough for me and el kid!

I’ve been hesitant about the switch, fearing that it might be more hassle than it’s worth  but we’ll see…

• Like 1

the  lunchie tires are now glued, might've used a proper but minimum amount of glue. 4-5 good pinches of glue for each side and i didnt make much of a mess wither.

3 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I’ve been hesitant about the switch, fearing that it might be more hassle than it’s worth  but we’ll see…

If performance is what you are after the benefits of LiPo's outweigh the hassle for sure,.  I'd just be very careful monitoring the battery while charging and nott allow the battery to keep in a fully charged state for too long.. and not deplete the battery beyond 3.7v per cell.

On 7/9/2021 at 9:47 AM, tamiya_1971 said:

Just received notification that my "vintage" Blackfoot has shipped. I pray I didn't pay too much for something that doesn't exist in the gearbox. It looks from the pics like it's a Thorp rear-end. The shocks I have no idea. Lots of CRP parts on it so that's a plus. Busted to heck body, but I was going for the Thorp parts. I'll post pics once I receive it, unless, of course, I made a bad purchase and am too embarrassed. 

Delivered today!  Looks like and feels like a Thorp rearend. The ball diff feels smooth, which is definitely a plus considering how this thing looks. Looks to have a full set of bearings. I need to test out the Tekin speed control this weekend.  The shocks are a mystery. Anyone know the brand? I thought they may be Kyosho but I don’t recall a Kyosho with green anodized shocks. Two of the CRP crossmembers are broken. A bit bummed that the Parma motor only has bushings. I’m hoping that still works.  

YEaQOIt.jpg

tI9SvQG.jpg

oY7ndBz.jpg

0BAEw2R.jpg

QZkSldq.jpg

qNT79SB.jpg

jQC3yUi.jpg

UTlL6Z4.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, nel33 said:

keep an eye for the BBC lawsuit for copying the stig... im sure he took that van for a few timed laps.

Stig Willy was asked for a quote but we’re still waiting!!!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Stig Willy was asked for a quote but we’re still waiting!!!

LOL  count your blessings that it was the first Stig and not the current one with the contract. It looks like you also copied the van but I forgot which ep he took it it for TA.

Still counts as today ie early morning, got the electronics sorted and installed tires on lunch box. Likely going to work on the body today to give me enough time so I can wait out the last few days when the 1080 arrives for Manta. The chassis on the lunchbox is a runner ie it can move on its own power now.

• Like 1

Took the plunge and ordered a couple of LiPo batteries plus ancillaries as well as a servo for my planned SCX10iii build.

• Like 1

Got to go to a LHS soon, I don't think I have rust colored paints in my stock. I got rid of that unsightly chrome shine on the 2 side and rear bumper of the lunch box with scotch bright pad. It has more of a brushed look now. I went through the chrome paint is a fes areas, time to add a bit of color to hid that and give slightly rusted look. Im going for worn and beated look on the chrome. Tried the technique on the side pieces first as i could paint all but exhaust pipex if needed. Needed natural sunlight to get the right brushed finish. Will likely need to remove the mock paper stickers i have on the body to wash, prime, paint it.

• Like 2