Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@Ferruz i think you probably should've invested in a front windshield... LOL. thats just hilarious you had a potential passenger/navigator.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, djmcnz said:

@Ferruz - seems to me that that's an indication you need a Frog...

Or the next new release, The Toadhopper.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Or the next new release, The Toadhopper.

well the toad was hunting/stalking a hornet...

• Like 1

That was a nice build. Now I want a second one :lol:

• Like 5

All winched up except I am short by 2 hooks..  :blink:  I suppose I can pull one from one of the NIB bodies I have if I must.. :D

IMG_Jul192021at83230AM.jpg.afd5b4c1d0d811fc29ad2162da9a4da3.jpg

I decided I like the rollers black to keep focus on the rest of the front end of the GP, so did the others without painting the rollers silver.

IMG_Jul192021at83936AM.jpg.8b6e1c042307158998f9d54dc94e86ba.jpg

IMG_Jul192021at83948AM.jpg.d9f61736325a2468a43931c2c9d4e607.jpg

IMG_Jul192021at83249AM.jpg.813a0d2d74bd10562334b86a832a653c.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Willy iine said:

All winched up except I am short by 2 hooks..  :blink:  I suppose I can pull one from one of the NIB bodies I have if I must.. :D

IMG_Jul192021at83230AM.jpg.afd5b4c1d0d811fc29ad2162da9a4da3.jpg

I decided I like the rollers black to keep focus on the rest of the front end of the GP, so did the others without painting the rollers silver.

IMG_Jul192021at83936AM.jpg.8b6e1c042307158998f9d54dc94e86ba.jpg

IMG_Jul192021at83948AM.jpg.d9f61736325a2468a43931c2c9d4e607.jpg

IMG_Jul192021at83249AM.jpg.813a0d2d74bd10562334b86a832a653c.jpg

The 4th picture is bang on the money!

• Haha 1

I tried a metal cleaner/polish product on the lunch chrome bumpers but I don't think it made much difference. Didnt want to go too crazy but used a dust catching glove as a soft cloth medium. Not a big loss, I can still use it on household surfaces. I think the abrasion patterns when I was buffing off chrome shine started showing the slightly deeper lines. Not the end of the world either but will need to do more shock body test in daylight.. I had to reapply some rust effects after using it but that wasnt much an issue. Went and put a thin mist coal of primer on the body. I washed the body with soap yesterday. Going to try the grey primer first and mask off that mid ridge body line for the darker color. When that is done, readjust the masking to get the rest of the body tan brown.

3.5 layers of grey primer on the body now. ready to go onto the actual colors. the red brown mid stripe will be completed in an hour or so to let it dry fully when i can mask off the dark brown area for the 2nd color.

• Like 2

@nel33 I hope you know I was just kidding about Wenol.  Since your weathering looked good, I just joked you needed to polish all that rust off your bumper.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

@nel33 I hope you know I was just kidding about Wenol.  Since your weathering looked good, I just joked you needed to polish all that rust off your bumper.  :lol:

i still got it but it will work well to clean the brushed stainless parts in the kitchen. didnt have a product for that and its only $7, it will be useful. been cheaping out on products to clean metal cupboards handles anyway...

i put the last coat on the center stripe on the body. masking it was annoying like i expected. tape for the lines, 1 layer of paper towel to cover the body and a layer of newspaper on top of the paper towel so nothing bleeds or have the newspaper ink contaminate the primed body.

had one line that was slightly off on the driver side window but nothing serious. there was some minor paint bleed but overall very clean. masking the wooden tan brown can likely fix some overrun.

IMG_4642a.jpg

IMG_4643a.jpg

IMG_4644a.jpg

• Like 4

Decided to stay in the hobby.

Left all the RC Facebook groups as I think that's what annoyed me most.

I'll hang around here instead :)

• Like 12

40 minutes ago, Wez-li said:

You know it makes sense - Del Boy Trotter | Meme Generator

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

@nel33 You can also use some pin stripes to cover the rough edges if there is a color that you like.   I have different rolls (colors and widths) of decal-ing stripes for RC airplanes I use at times.   

@Wez-li Glad to hear you stayed with the hobby.  Welcome home. 

• Like 3

I made some good progress today on both the Sand Scorcher and the Firedragon that have been stalled for the past month or so.

The scorcher just needs a paint job and I'll call it done. The Firedragon only needs stickers. Both have full electrics installed and ready to roll. I'm contemplating whether I should now dive into a crawler build (for the first time ever), or tackle a Kyosho (also for the first time ever lol).

Some pics of my progress:

2021-07-20-10-11-52.jpg

2021-07-20-12-49-33.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@nel33 You can also use some pin stripes to cover the rough edges if there is a color that you like.   I have different rolls (colors and widths) of decal-ing stripes for RC airplanes I use at times.   

@Wez-li Glad to hear you stayed with the hobby.  Welcome home. 

Oh I got those pin stripes. The 1/4 width is good for the rounded areas but too thick for my planned ,manta paint details. I got the thinner tamiya pin stripe kit for that an will use it to correct the lunch lines.

On a lunch note, how does it Handle with near vertical rear shocks? I might consider that mod to get it off the motor contact or atleast angled a bit closer to 90 to avoid motor contact.

@Wez-li glad to hear you left those social media sites. They are for the most part a huge useless distractions peppered with a few useful features. Not always the best place for ones sanity.

• Like 2

Bought (winning bid) complete front & rear end of OG Bear Hawk for some project I had in mind, but now unsure what it was exactly? :lol:

Also regretted not fixing the leak in the roof of my 1:1 house already. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Wez-li said:

Glad to still have you with us buddy.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Falcon#5 said:

Bought (winning bid) complete front & rear end of OG Bear Hawk for some project I had in mind, but now unsure what it was exactly? :lol:

Also regretted not fixing the leak in the roof of my 1:1 house already. :rolleyes:

Nice on the winning bid!   :D  Sorry to hear about your house..  I own a house built 40yrs ago and while fully renovated in 2014, I do quite a bit of maintenance on it to keep it nice looking and functional.  This year my headache has been sparrows building nests.  I bought a 30ft pole to knock them off before they finished the nests.

@nel33 You can always lay down a strip of masking tape on your cutting table (works as liner to prevent your adhesive side to stick to the surface, place the pin stripe on it, and cut the width to your preference so that you don't need to buy another roll.  That is what I usually do as I usually don't need an entire roll to do one car.  This also includes other tapes and adhesives..  

As for the CW01 handling.. the suspension works fine for the kind of bashing I do, but you also need to consider the spring and damp rates, and ride height as that is all  part of the equation for good handling.  How stiff did you set up the dampers? I often find people running very stiff settings.. including that WildOne I made into my Fast Time Attack Vehicle.  The prior owner had it set up waaaaay too stiff and I even dumped out the oil on the front dampers to get them to work correctly on the rather light weight car.   I want to get softer rear springs too, but not planning to spend any more money on it. Have you ever squished classic RC10 dampers?  Think of those.. soft/smooth and rather long stroke is key..well, for me at least.

11 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Nice on the winning bid!   :D

@nel33 You can always lay down a strip of masking tape on your cutting table (works as liner to prevent your adhesive side to stick to the surface, place the pin stripe on it, and cut the width to your preference so that you don't need to buy another roll.  That is what I usually do as I usually don't need an entire roll to do one car.  This also includes other tapes and adhesives..  

As for the CW01 handling.. the suspension works fine for the kind of bashing I do, but you also need to consider the spring and damp rates, and ride height as that all is part of the equation for good handling.  How stiff did you set up the dampers? I often find people running very stiff settings.. including that WildOne I made into my Fast Time Attack Vehicle.  The prior owner had it set up waaaaay too stiff and I even dumped out the oil on the front dampers to get them to work correctly on the rather light weight car.   I want to get softer rear springs too, but not planning to spend any more money on it. Have you ever squished classic RC10 dampers?  Think of those.. soft/smooth and rather long stroke is key..well, for me at least.

Thank you for the reply. A quick run down a short hallway doesn't really flex the springs. The spring lengths have a 10mm difference., and the rear are full setting. When the body is done with paint (sans custom stickers) i will do a better shock test. The shocks are medium to stiff and the weight of the oil is ??? Setting spring rates is hit and miss guess more me at the time so i will see how it runs first but typically I just turn the collar down until it is snug.

Stock Slash 2wd shocks are rather soft, lunch is mediun at minimum force to compress.

4 minutes ago, nel33 said:

Thank you for the reply. A quick run down a short hallway doesn't really flex the springs. The spring lengths have a 10mm difference., and the rear are full setting. When the body is done with paint (sans custom stickers) i will do a better shock test. The shocks are medium to stiff and the weight of the oil is ??? Setting spring rates is hit and miss guess more me at the time so i will see how it runs first but typically I just turn the collar down until it is snug.

No problem.  I think the best is you drive it around a little bit, let the car break in a little, get familiar driving the car, and then figure out what you want to do with the suspension.  CW01 is not a very precise driving car so as long as it's not flopping/bouncing around all over the place, you're pretty much set.  That is one fun chassis to drive though!  I especially enjoy doing jumps with it.  Your Lunchbox body is probably considerably heavier than the Unimog (polycarbonate) body so my settings may not apply to your car.

Cheers for the comments guys, I've already picked up a project to keep me going :)

• Like 3

The red brown masking was done after 4 touchups..... i also left a small scratch on rear right corner, will get that later on... got a decent cover of tan brown on the body but left the roof unpainted. The roof window is a very handy point to hold and articulate the body when painting :).  Need a 2nd good coat of tan brown and inspect for thin areas before I deal with the roof. The body exterior should be completed today, the interior??? I will add shoe goo and fiber tape to the interior corners to beef it up a bit though sadly the front body pillars will have to do with shoe goo only. The side body posts make for annoying areas I can't really reinforce as I'd like but it's a shell in the end.

roof is painted but it seems like the small can needs more shaking to get the paint going will need to buy a 2nd one for the inside i think...

Since the new photo contest started on the main site I've been keeping an eye out for good sunny weather, but no luck so far. It's been mostly cloudy and rainy and now there's a thick haze everywhere due to some big wildfires in northern Ontario, whose smoke recently reached our area. An eerie, orange sun briefly appeared through the smog yesterday, it was quite the sight but nothing that could be properly captured by any of my cameras. I tried to find some good spots for a scenic picture, but as long as it's this hazy there's no way anything good will come out, colours way too dull!

Still there were a few good trial shots, as well as the usual fun. It was good to involve my wife for once, with the excuse of the pics to be taken :P as for the pic competition, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to enter something from last year though I'd love to go for something new if I just get a chance.

Screenshot-20210719-211005-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20210720-143420-Gallery.jpg

Screenshot-20210719-211049-Video-Player.

20210718-183602-040-01.jpg

Screenshot-20210719-210835-Video-Player.

20210717-203035.jpg

Screenshot-20210718-204826-Gallery.jpg

Screenshot-20210720-100721-Gallery.jpg

• Like 11

@Ferruz Now that is some serious air time your car can achieve.  Nice pictures!  I can feel the action and excitement.  

• Thanks 1

ran out of TS-68 off to the LHS to buy another can. the exterior is done and bottom lips of the body. a thin layer is on the inside already but no paint  left :(. off to spend money for a good reason :) .

Tamiya can still keep their profit margins if they just made 200ml spray cans.........

• Like 2

@nel33 I agree that those TS cans are small.  In the USA they cost like $7+ shipping so they add up pretty quick.  But they are very good paints.   

I didn't get much done today, just glued the new Billy heads that reminds me of Kashira heads from Sen to Chihiro..  :lol:

IMG_Jul202021at31320PM.jpg.210732bc4d70955f5f6613be64f13276.jpg

IMG_Jul202021at31348PM.png.8ed41408d33c28962ecd5be1c183b51c.png

Also fixed the spare mounting angle as it was not completely horizontal due to how the bracket was designed (came with my car).  I made a diagonally shaped spacer to compensate.

IMG_Jul202021at31423PM.jpg.e83eb60c47494568cd081b3d2d513513.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2