Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The pinion grub screw sounds like the most likely suspect...

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

The pinion grub screw sounds like the most likely suspect...

yup, just took the motor off, the screw is loose. didnt add lock tight to it when building, gonna add blue locktite. maybe go for red one if i want it to be permanent LOL JK

the repair is done, got the blue loctite on the grub screw, re-applied it to motor screws and mounts. the flat area on the motor has some minor nicks but its in very good condition.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 5:20 AM, Willy iine said:

Here is the sticker my son designed on my 5844.  I love it!  :lol:   Includes Willy, fire extinguisher, winch, tow hook, side mirrors, decals. 

IMG_Jul232021at72200AM.jpg.8ef33c4b645663e4a576cb30847d9082.jpg

That turned out really good. 

Any chance that you would be willing to sell a couple?  Wouldn't mind sporting it on my Montero Wheely conversion.

• Thanks 1

the lunchbox shell has been reinforced, the front, rear and roof lines are now stronger. dont plan to add anymore, the tight fit of the shell is enough before reinforcement. gently spreading it to clear the body posts is a bit annoying but easy enough.

IMG_4695a.jpg

IMG_4696a.jpg

IMG_4697a.jpg

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, biguglyxprez said:

That turned out really good. 

Any chance that you would be willing to sell a couple?  Wouldn't mind sporting it on my Montero Wheely conversion.

Thanks.  I appreciate the interest, but this is a one-off design and not for sale due to ownership reasons (Mitsubishi).   I will tell my son you liked his design; I know he appreciates positive feedback!  

1st bit of Tamiya in what feels like forever ☹️

Cleaned up my Konghead and took some fresh photos for the eBay listing, I then went to the storage unit to pick up the KH spares and whilst there I grabbed my black Lunchbox as that will go on the bay of plenty next 💥

7-B9-B8143-268-F-48-BA-B7-FD-038-C8-DD90

• Like 6

Hi there, back in the hobby after a long voyage. Nearly 20 years. Ready to take on this new journey.

Here is my yest'today work. Finishing my lovely Blackfoot, I'm really happy on the bodypaint work. I hope matt coat wont get away too easely.
Now let's get this baby roll.

Blackfoot Shots

blk1.jpg

blk3.jpg

• Like 13

I started (and almost finished?) the Blitzer Beetle today. First 2WD buggy I build funny enough, not counting the Scorcher. Even with tapping and SS hex screws (where I could, there are several stepped screws I couldn't replace), I've only spent 4 hours getting this far. Nice build though.

I had a brushless esc/motor set rated at 5800kv, and I didn't know what to do with it, so I dropped it in lol.

2021-07-25-17-39-45.jpg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I started (and almost finished?) the Blitzer Beetle today. First 2WD buggy I build funny enough, not counting the Scorcher. Even with tapping and SS hex screws (where I could, there are several stepped screws I couldn't replace), I've only spent 4 hours getting this far. Nice build though.

I had a brushless esc/motor set rated at 5800kv, and I didn't know what to do with it, so I dropped it in lol.

2021-07-25-17-39-45.jpg

your tire tread going to be gone in 5 min lol 

• Haha 2

I‘ve started and almost completed my FF01 Chassis conversion from bathtube to FRP double deck…plus some hop-up parts:

spacer.png

• Like 9

Put the TB05 in the car to stop and do some postal racing. Sadly the food shop I had to do first stole all the time, so no run. 
This evening I continued my plastic bag opening exercise, and did some assembly too

06B319A0-71FE-48F4-9791-ABD3D4EE8791.jpg

• Like 4

While working on one of my cars today I decided to grab the pro2 I used to race, My dad and I made it match the actual car and it’s been sitting unused in the backseat area of the car for about 20 years. At some point I took the receiver out it seems and the nicd battery is now useless. I cleaned up the body and put a spare receiver and esc I had so I can try it on lipo, I remember it being fast (or seemed like it was but didn’t have gps speed things back then) so gonna strap the gps on and do some speed runs with a nicd to see how painfully slow it actually was :lol:.

Also started to build my f103gt, didn’t have anything good enough to cut the tabs off the servo (appears I took and left all my cutting tools at the shop) so I gave up on that for the day.

0956AEC0-C4BD-4CC0-98F0-0240C7B445BC.jpeg

924FEB64-FCF2-4FAF-9AD4-75649EBD8A36.jpeg

DEDAA077-C653-4C17-9139-214DE551481B.jpeg

7C0C2D39-5BFA-41E1-A5E9-08CA0918F4DA.jpeg

• Like 6

Bought a like new neo fighter 🤐 too good of deal to pass up. Already upgraded with ball bearings, aftermarket tires, and servo. 

CE53A475-6138-4DEE-91AA-A900F8F4F467.jpeg

• Like 5

Couple things recently, had the SCX24, Jimny, and Wild Willy 4x4 at a friends place when I went to check out the shop he’s building there. Bounced the Tamiya’s around where he wants to have an asphalt apron poured just last the concrete one the Jimny is sitting on as well as a shot of Willy with his triple black JK Unlimited (4dr) Sport he bought just before the pandemic shut the state down, also decided to turn my now brushless SCX24 loose with just a little throttle trim set into the DX3 radio I now have on it, made it all the way to that young tree in the background and several feet behind the JK and had it turned around and heading back when the battery dumped!

2E71C870-BEEB-44E8-86BE-359CD70C1BBD.jpeC34F0F41-3476-408B-BC3A-117F47E0190E.jpe65C75B8C-B345-4E4C-86F8-FE720F42D30B.jpe

I then was out for a little while today and took the Jimny to one of my favorite spots to crawl and ran the battery the rest of the way down, which took about an hour, which isn’t bad for a brushed motor and a cheap 3000mAh NiMH stick pack!

89A98AE3-BD4D-4E5B-8018-6BA651E9051F.jpeCB2624ED-005B-4612-AD23-6C4B275D1608.jpe

Quick edit, forgot to post some clips of the Jimny crawling!

Willy did end up a bit muddy out there and had the servo screw fall out,

C2CDB1B3-2A21-4A56-BEFA-3C43193E152D.jpe
0F827DC6-DC1E-42F7-871B-1983557A3328.jpe

but I was able to find everything and put it back together, but swapped Futaba’s 3x8mm machine thread Phillips for an otherwise matching DuBro cap head and a random 3mm washer that got thread locked in place!

9837DABE-082A-4BED-B3D8-899F1F306806.jpe6076609B-952F-4319-AE68-09D92E93CB0D.jpeE2466F1E-64A2-4BE5-864D-C87DEC68C465.jpe

BTW, can I use a different servo saver on these two and a way of putting a 2wheel Wheely bar on the WR-02 and GF-01?  I’m not liking the lone wheel for the Wheely bar and I’m not a fan of the plastic spring C’s in the servo saver.  Looks like I might be able to use a Kimbrough Servo Saver like this on Willy,

https://www.amainhobbies.com/kimbrough-large-small-end-servo-saver-kim123/p-qqqetqwqncqxactz
image.thumb.jpeg.c44d34afbecb98b8f8f7526fb9cbfad7.jpeg
but wouldn’t mind going with a long horn with the appropriate end on it for the Jimny.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BJoe76 said:

BTW, can I use a different servo saver on these two and a way of putting a 2wheel Wheely bar on the WR-02 and GF-01?  I’m not liking the lone wheel for the Wheely bar

https://www.yeahracing.com/aluminum-shock-absorb-wheelie-bar-w-dsg-shock-gear-damper-set-for-tamiya-wr02-wr02g-gf01-tawr-007bu-00062832

On 7/24/2021 at 9:41 AM, Saito2 said:

Took the Kyosho Big Boss out for a drive away from home for a change. I love this thing. Its an example of something that is more than a sum of its parts. Its soooo plastic right down to the diff outdrives but it hasn't broken yet and its great fun to drive. Its pretty big and has a certain feeling of mass to it when wheeling it around, but its not tippy despite its truck-like nature. You can kinda tell the Blackfoot sprang forth from buggy roots and its certainly more nimble because of it but the Big Boss has a go-anywhere vibe. Someday, I'd like to do a shootout between these two trucks like the old magazines did bitd if I can manage to drag myself out of this current funk I find myself in. I wish Kyosho would bring these back but when I shook my magic 8-ball and it replied "Outlook not so good".

20210724_081025 (2) 20210724_081415 (2)

I applaude your outing. Well done! Do you agree that the pogo stick shocks add a lot of fun to the whole thing? I find that they help shooting the truck far up when jumping, while at the same time still somehow doing their job. I thought about trying on some real shocks just to see how differently the truck would behave, but never really went through with the idea and may never get to do that. Good job getting it out, these plastic brawlers are meant to be enjoyed in motion.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Put the TB05 in the car to stop and do some postal racing. Sadly the food shop I had to do first stole all the time, so no run. 
This evening I continued my plastic bag opening exercise, and did some assembly too

06B319A0-71FE-48F4-9791-ABD3D4EE8791.jpg

I spot a little Hot Wheels up there on the top right... glad to know I'm not the only one enjoying their company during a build (I have no pets to build up clutter or spice up the situation...) 😁

Not that much RC last weekend, but enough time for some tuff action with the Hornet once again!

20210725-014907.jpg

20210725-224506.jpg

Screenshot-20210724-205815-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20210724-205514-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20210725-223632-Video-Player.

20210725-223821.jpg

• Like 10

I finally finished fitting the Hi-cap dampers onto my Hotshot. I decided to keep the front monoshock, mostly for the looks but fitted with a much softer spring from a DT02 friction shock. The front is still quite soft but the monoshock allows for easy preload adjustment.
I’ve not had chance to road test it yet but I love the look.

F94E70A9-EA76-4A40-B3C7-14AC0E218230.jpeg

083FBF51-4286-4927-9748-63943E2ED118.jpeg

• Like 10

@Ministrone That looks real good.   I like that clean aluminum damper/coilover look.   I also noticed you have a front spoiler above the front towers.   Is that a custom piece you made?  Very interesting.  I image it keeps the car more level when doing fast/long jumps.

5 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@Ministrone That looks real good.   I like that clean aluminum damper/coilover look.   I also noticed you have a front spoiler above the front towers.   Is that a custom piece you made?  Very interesting.  I image it keeps the car more level when doing fast/long jumps.

The body is a copy of ones made by JG Dart in the 1980s. The wings come with the body set.

12 minutes ago, Ministrone said:

The body is a copy of ones made by JG Dart in the 1980s. The wings come with the body set.

That's cool.  Hummm..  I use to own the original HotShot back in the 80's (my best friend's dad sold it to me for like 1/2 the price with barely any run time on the car.. like new), but was probably too pre-occupied to notice the JG Dart name.

6 hours ago, Ferruz said:

I find that they help shooting the truck far up when jumping, while at the same time still somehow doing their job. I thought about trying on some real shocks just to see how differently the truck would behave, but never really went through with the idea and may never get to do that.

I agree. The truck is a great jumper. Its the perfect balance between more complete absorption (like a re-re Blackfoot with its oil shocks) and total sporadic bounciness (like a stock Clod Buster). Its big and solid and truck-like, but still "chuck-able" in turns and not overly ponderous nor top heavy. I've run them with full oil shocks and they handle surprisingly very well, but its far more fun with the pogo-sticks. I admit to running some stealthy black Traxxas oil dampers (no springs) in the rear only in those pics (in addition to the chrome pogos) which keeps some of the rear squat in check and softens some of those high jumps without killing the character of the truck. 

• Like 2