Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Finished building a SU-01 Aero Avante 18 days after I started (1 month after placing the order from PJ).

IMG_20210827_125708.thumb.jpeg.88b8b4f589ae3e0cb35000acdede9ba7.jpeg

Which came first, your miniyonku or my RC?  I’ve had this DF for a while..  :lol:

IMG_Aug272021at122430PM.jpg.7b90708ee470e82e22677ec60768d6bc.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Which came first, your miniyonku or my RC?  I’ve had this DF for a while..  :lol:

IMG_Aug272021at122430PM.jpg.7b90708ee470e82e22677ec60768d6bc.jpg

Comparing sizes now are we? :D On my next to build list. :P

IMG_20210827_193201.thumb.jpg.90d9e0c71de5c7046a3a29b6ac26573c.jpg

1 minute ago, alvinlwh said:

Comparing sizes now are we? :D On my next to build list. :P

IMG_20210827_193201.thumb.jpg.90d9e0c71de5c7046a3a29b6ac26573c.jpg

Perfect!  :lol:

been really busy during these weird times...

here are some work to catch up on my builds....

cut out the bonnet on my clone bruiser, place an engine (ford may need to find a toyota emblem to cover it lol)

added lights and wipers, threw away the stock receiver... coloured the signal

building a dashboard

53ccef92-7266-4edd-8804-2e89c5d1d850.jpeg

a0825dcc-68f8-4db6-8a10-4e74e60c0dcc.jpeg

ef1e0add-74dc-414d-8e8a-012083339b3f.jpeg

2d7270e2-f290-4b96-8a0a-e31d6dc10f6f.jpeg

1eee2716-e30e-4790-85a8-445cdc728487.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Yours may come first, but does it have UV glow? :P

IMG_20210827_213010.thumb.jpeg.1c768c25267dfd1dfd728b56f9b4602e.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Yours may come first, but does it have UV glow? :P

IMG_20210827_213010.thumb.jpeg.1c768c25267dfd1dfd728b56f9b4602e.jpeg

Wow..  

I thought I read somewhere that the AeroAvante was originally a miniyonku and later inspired the RC version?  No idea, but it's a good looking car.  Actually my wife bought me mine so has some sentimental value.  Speaking of pink, my NeoScorcher(?) is that metallic pink color Tamiya released in some limited quantity.  

I'm not very familiar with all the buggies.. 

For me, it was a rest day from RC since I spent a lot of time on the Billy's yesterday.  This am prepped my 1:1 A90 for my weekend drive tomorrow, besides work, played a few hours on my cajon, and opened my new arrival, GF01 red painted body.  

This GF01 will be built with zero hop ups, will use a standard Futaba S3010 servo and kit TBLE.  It will be run as is to compare with my existing GF01's.. and later will be dissected for its internals and suspension bits to be used on a nichrotors custom GF01 chassis  where I will run full bearing and oil damper setup along with simensays M38 wheels and fresh WW2 body.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Wow..  

I thought I read somewhere that the AeroAvante was originally a miniyonku and later inspired the RC version?  No idea, but it's a good looking car.  Actually my wife bought me mine so has some sentimental value.  Speaking of pink, my NeoScorcher(?) is that metallic pink color Tamiya released in some limited quantity.  

I'm not very familiar with all the buggies.. 

Mini 4WD version - 14 July 2012

https://mini-4wd.fandom.com/wiki/Aero_Avante

DF-02 version - 12 December 2012

https://tamiyabase.com/tamiya-models/58550

SU-01 version - 27 February 2016

https://tamiyabase.com/tamiya-models/57402

I think you had seen my build diary for this kit and the reason for this being pink is that it is for a 5yo girl's birthday. But I do not want "standard" pink or even hot pink, so I chose this fluorescent pink instead, something I got hooked on when building "Chibi" and Gundam models. (checK out the static models thread) 

Generally I am not that interested in buggies, my other cars are a Impreza, Swift and Fiesta. Even the Lunchbox can arguably be based on a real vehicle. However I got this one as it is 1/14 with a 370 motor, perfect for a 5yo. I got the affordable mini 4WD version just to follow a theme and hope eventually to get the less affordable DF-02 version eventually, so I can have the whole family of Aero Avante. :p

• Like 1

@alvinlwh Good find!  Yeah maybe it was on the DF kit box where it explained that the RC version was inspired by the miniyonku.  I tossed the box long time ago so no way to check.  

Nothing wrong with pink for a grown man.   :lol:   One of my favorite dress shirts I wear to work (well, pre-pandemic) is pink.   Happy birthday to the birthday girl. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 9:11 PM, Willy iine said:

Probably exactly what happened lol, (not the . But what was there before)

On 8/25/2021 at 12:37 PM, Pylon80 said:

Are you not worried about TS clear flaking off? The only PS clear available is PS-55 and sadly it's flat/semigloss but not gloss! And hard to come by :)

It's funny I have the same bodies: a F2012 (really poorly cut and painted) that I bought used and want to repaint on the outside and  a F60 that I am building. Except I'm not into speed runs like yourself :D

Thanks for posting you're progress!

I am a little worried but figured I’d try anyway, hoping the f1 bodies don’t see as much flex since there isn’t much body and wings/wheels/etc seem to take the hits instead. Sadly progress will be slow since I was just informed the paint I ordered over a week ago is out of stock and was canceled yesterday (wish they could’ve figured that out within a couple days of the order but oh well<_<) can’t wait to see how your turns out, the f60 too, both bodies for the same chassis or do you have multiple?

Originally I didn’t care much for speed runs but when I had seen how fast people were going with some of the cars and especially the silver can motors I got curious just how fast they can get to (always thought of silver cans as being dreadfully slow). I’m still not interested in trying to beat stew_macs impressive 147 but I am determined to get a silver can past 50mph and hopefully to 60mph.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ImALlama said:

Probably exactly what happened lol, (not the . But what was there before)

I am a little worried but figured I’d try anyway, hoping the f1 bodies don’t see as much flex since there isn’t much body and wings/wheels/etc seem to take the hits instead. Sadly progress will be slow since I was just informed the paint I ordered over a week ago is out of stock and was canceled yesterday (wish they could’ve figured that out within a couple days of the order but oh well<_<) can’t wait to see how your turns out, the f60 too, both bodies for the same chassis or do you have multiple?

Originally I didn’t care much for speed runs but when I had seen how fast people were going with some of the cars and especially the silver can motors I got curious just how fast they can get to (always thought of silver cans as being dreadfully slow). I’m still not interested in trying to beat stew_macs impressive 147 but I am determined to get a silver can past 50mph and hopefully to 60mph.

I actually bought a F60 body set month ago, only to realize that F104's were nowhere to be found, used or new, for months on end. I eventually stumbled upon a used F104v2 (not a Pro2) that was fully hopped-up by the previous owner and in good condition. That car came with a F2012 body that was poorly trimmed and poorly painted. Remember back in winter 2011-2012 when the new Ferrari was revealed? The general thought was "Oh my god it is so ugly!". In the following decade or so the looks of F1 cars then drifted from doubtful, to visually unpleasant, to just plain ugly, to just something words can't describe. And, so, today, I actually like the F2012! In fact I almost like that body more than the F60. Then the usual thing happened: you can still find the body parts and the wings, but the decals are no longer available. So I ordered some decal from MCI that appear to be a 2017 Ferrari livery which I decided was close enough for me. This decal sheet is basically a few logos on a clear background so it will require lots of TS painting on the rear wing and PS painting on the front wing to get the black, white and red colors right.

Regarding speed runs, these cars are very efficient! With so few bearings and only a pinion and a spur between the motor and the rear axle, they are fast with just the silver can indeed.

@ImALlama I did a paint adhesion test on a 5mm wide styrene sheet to see how much I can bend before TS paint would crack.. I was quite pleased it was A LOT more flexible than originally thought.. so you might be okay.  

When I painted TS over PS, it adhered very well.  This body was first painted in PS white on the outside of lexan (as primer), and later TS28.  No issue.

IMG_Aug52021at82219AM.jpg.7abfb582b3055b2ce406df67591627f9.jpg

• Like 5

@Willy iine Glad that you mentioned this, I forgot I was painting a body :D. Since my paint won’t be arriving for a bit and I have a few ps whites on hand, I actually did the same a couple hours ago :lol:. I figured ps would stick well to the body and hoped ts would stick to the ps ok. Good to hear it should work fine, I’m sure @Pylon80 will be happy to hear you tested the ts flex and it works too.

13014066-B094-4D07-AF71-5AA9DCB75DCA.thumb.jpeg.976054e82032fd64e714252bfe977c39.jpeg

• Like 4

more like yesterday but i got 4m of blue 14/7  awg wire though i do have some good old red 14awg in stock. got a package tease in the mailbox, got a delivery slip that i got a box at the post office. went there but the box wasnt in yet or on the way to th postals storage unit. its either in today or will arrive on monday. im fairly certain its spare Super Sabre/boomerang parts, that or the spare Manta parts depending on the delivery speed of the 3  different rcmart orders i made recently.

• Like 1

@Pylon80 I’ve been a fan of the 2012 looks, and especially with all the other rc choices available looking almost the same as each other, the f2012s boxy stepped nose helps it stand out. I should have known the usual thing you mentioned would happen, it’s happened enough to me I should know better by now, but I still made the mistake of thinking it came with the decals and thought all would be well and easy. I found one set but not about to pay $90 or so for them. So just more to tape and paint I guess. With the speed runs the light and efficient definitely does make it easy to go fast, slowing down safely though has been somewhat of an issue for me :lol:

• Like 1

Found the time to take the Hornet for a quick spin in preparation for the trip.

20210827-230430.jpg

Screenshot-20210827-202301-Video-Player.

Just like a kid with his favourite candy, I wish those spiked tires could last forever!

20210827-201444.gif

• Like 9

Not doing a lot of postal racing I'm afraid but doing laundry instead.

PXL_20210828_161724249.jpg

• Haha 6

19 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@alvinlwh Good find!  Yeah maybe it was on the DF kit box where it explained that the RC version was inspired by the miniyonku.  I tossed the box long time ago so no way to check.  

Nothing wrong with pink for a grown man.   :lol:   One of my favorite dress shirts I wear to work (well, pre-pandemic) is pink.   Happy birthday to the birthday girl. 

Took her out for a speed run today, 15kmh on the SU-01. Finished the mini4WD one after that. Now just need the DF one to finish off the family of Aero Avantes.

IMG_20210828_182922.thumb.jpg.eee01d20caba964bc19d53016040f926.jpg

• Like 2

Ran my Javelin on the home track today. I had the camera on my head and expected to get some footage. Seems I forgot to remove the lens cap when starting filming :-D
That being said, the 13.5T motor is perfect but tend to send the front wheels in the air on the uphill side of my track (the garden is on a slope, so there is area where I do not have the choice it goes either up either down), and the car remain quite easier to control than a DT03 or other cars as long as I make sure front wheel are grounded in the uphill area before I try to turn...

On the side note, I need to make the front led bucket attachement stronger than it is currently, as I broke the front led holder. I will design a V2 soon :-D.

Update:

SMmEtH9.jpg

the part broke where I drilled to position the protusion on the led bucket. It is now in the design so should be more reliable. Further, I added some width and added a recession so the screw can get in. I'll print that tomorrow for the crash test :-D

Nothing car related yet today (except spend money :unsure:), but I did pull a few boats out that’ve been sitting for years. I’m going to clean them up and change the left two to electric, and fix whatever is wrong with the right one (broke probably 15+ years ago, can’t remember what’s wrong with it).

6A63A832-EC62-4D6F-AF2B-5E170A15625F.thumb.jpeg.631e6ea0466d9bd4db9e06cbd2e8e6f0.jpeg

• Like 6

On 8/27/2021 at 8:25 AM, Grumpy pants said:

Big day today, I’m going to hand my notice in after 3 1/2 years of long slog building a new career and business within a business.

Time to readdress the inbalance between home, work and health 👍

I take at the very least 1200 train journeys a year, the reality is a lot more, as on a tough day it can be 9 or 10 different tubes or trains in 1 day. 

Let’s shake it up a bit today and see what happens 😂

👍🤞🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finished off the last mod I had on hand for my Chrysler 200 today. Last weekend Dad and I swapped the ignition coils out for units from MSD and the stock lower intake manifold out for the current piece going on these engines from the factory (I’m positive Dad’s ‘20 Grand Caravan has one) but was having trouble with the intake resonator delete tube and managed to lose a head light bulb in the process🤦🏻. Here’s the difference in the lower intake manifold, right side being the new factory part and the left being the one we took off the car, that hump in the runner made a bigger difference than expected!

7DD4A74B-A70B-48E9-AE4C-F7B41B9BB09A.jpe

This is with just the lower and coils reinstalled, pretty straight forward here too as it’s stock shaped parts for stock shaped parts, just better performing.

9AD28333-7DFD-4D1B-B252-D683DBA02C4E.jpe

here was after the stock upper with the throttle body was reinstalled. Since that is still the same on most of of these engines, nothing special is needed here other than care, patience, and torque specs.

C463EB83-617C-4E3A-8B23-EA2BF69AB58C.jpe

Dad swapped out the bulbs while I was working yesterday and I got the larger clamp needed for the throttle body end of the intake tube assembly this morning and did the install at about the worst time this after noon as it was around 90*+, humid, and in direct sunlight…….which does not go well with middle aged and obese in darkish clothing🥵

This is one way to change the bulbs, if I ever replace the battery and/or switch to LED or HID from the Halogen it’s got in it, the bumper cover will need to come off🤬

6E0CA712-DC7C-4454-BA23-A750F8DAEC3A.jpe

the intake tube is pretty straight forward, the parts on the table by my mug are the stock corrugated tubes and plastic resonators, which make it quiet under throttle, bur are restrictive, I do need to insulate the aluminum tube since it’s within a foot of the cat for the right cylinder bank and has a plastic cover over the top of the engine.

54C1942C-C827-4770-B18E-3E84A1659F20.jpe

37A899F0-7706-4FF5-8690-5643E9579DB4.jpe

03D7969A-AEE3-47A5-8A9E-54CA873AD5DE.jpe

588C1C4B-CCDC-437E-B827-CEDAC12F4C5F.jpe
4D5E0FBD-4560-4F95-8DA3-D0F5D56FEA47.jpe
32FB7F4D-993F-410A-9686-BC180E2C52EF.jpe

Once I got it back together today, Dad and I took it for a run, we saw an improvement from stock with just the coils and lower manifold that was better than expected and this tube seems to have added to that and add a little growl to it as well!    
Luckily, what we’ve done intake wise is pretty discreet with out that cover in place and nearly invisible to all but Chrysler Techs and wrench turning Avenger/200/Journey owners with the cover on and even with the hood closed.  One thing that drew me to it is that other than the exhaust and wheels and tires, it doesn’t look much different from the 4 banger and 4 speed auto rental cars that would get derided for being garbage but still had the 280+hp flex fuel V-6 and 6 speed auto from the minivans while weighing about 1/2 ton less that made it a factory sleeper. Now as it’s going down the road or sitting at a traffic control device the only hint that there is anything different about this car from the 4 cylinder 200s produced is the factory dual tip exhaust, unusually wide and aggressive tires, gigantic yet stock appearing front brakes , and that little extra snarl when I get on it😁

• Like 6

Not strictly today, mostly Friday, but catching up ! Clicked on the pesky buy button on our wonderful sponsors , Fusion hobbies website, which for some reason was on the same page as a Brat🧐

Also ordered a Blackfoot body and ancillary bits from various places. I feel a build thread coming on but don’t expect box 🖼🥸

• Like 6