Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Busdriver said:

@BJoe76 love a sleeper!!!!

Same here, I’m digging the Chevy Bolts for the same reason, hoping that GM and LG can get the battery problem figured out and fixed.

I haven’t had the monster truck summer I had envisaged this year as el kid has been busy with a large Lego project and I kinda lost my RC mojo.

Mrs BC suggested I get a battery charged this morning and we went for a picnic at our local tarmac running spot.

DSC_1724.jpg

One full 5000mah Nimh pack depleted and one very happy kid.

That’s our much loved stock Dual Hunter @Busdriver.

I was happy too - not one thing broke or got lost! Though I have determined that I have a fault with one of my cheap Carson tx / rx combos (swapped it out for a working one and put it aside for some testing before it heads to small electric item recycling).

Hmm, maybe I could get back on the RC horse sooner than I anticipated…

• Like 8

The track is in the garden, and it's a sloppy one, big, but sloppy... Turning is always a challenge in those conditions...

• Like 7

@Badcrumble Sounds like fun!  Hope you get back into RC.   I've been slacking myself with RC after the 3 Billy's as they took some soul out of me.  :lol:  

Today I was going to start on the GF01, but my 1:1 was suddenly interrupted by a guerilla storm ambush that came out of no where within 30 min undocking from my garage.   No way to get my hobby car back to my garage without getting her wet, I just decided to go for a drive in the rain.  Took me 2 hours to clean her up after the drive (still not completely done) which usually only takes me about an hour since I only take my cars out in dry weather.   My full detail is a 24-36 hour affair.  Took a shower and no time left for RC today.   Oh well.. :D  Maybe I can work on it tomorrow..

• Like 2

Day 13 of lockdown here, and our lockdowns are incredibly strict so I've only left the proprty twice. Looking for stuff to do so got my box that contains most of a TA07Pro (my Pro has been upgraded so much iI have more parts leftover than used) and realised its only about USD50 to have a TA07Pro as well. I haven't placed the order yet, but will. My son's TT02 breaks at race meets (they all do, the number of dnf in that class is crazy) so I'll build this for him to run in kids and allcomers (stock touring is too competitive and people take it too seriously for him to enter, but thats the logical next step).

Do I dare try it to see how much faster the upgraded one is? Probably $500 per second!

• Like 4

Not much rc stuff today, got the HPI Q32 out for some impromptu jumps with my 4yo, miss 6yo is sick so spent the whole day in our bed, so didn't want to keep going into our wardrobe to get truck stuff out.

So ordered a new m-chassis car from up north. 🤪🪓

• Like 5

Made a start on the DT03 tonight.  A "start" is actually about 80% of the chassis completed since it's such a simple kit to put together.

I'm debating ordering a few parts for the dampers to replace the stock metal pistons.  Probably not worth the time and effort.  I'm trying to resist the temptation to overspend on hop-ups for this one.

• Like 2

We had a little blast on the beach. I spent most of the time driving away from small children and excited dogs😅

41D083B0-4EBB-440E-988D-4003FE70E9CF.jpeg

• Like 14

Replaced 12 older un-compressed  photos with compressed ones. This saved me 14 MB of my attachment limit. :)

• Like 3

Over the course of the weekend I attempted to rescue the stock tires off my SMT 10 to fit them to new wheels . Unfortunately, a few got torn up and I think I’m going to invest in the JConcept 2.2 Fling Kings. 
I also ran my HPI Wheely King for a while while I went for a walk. Oh and changed oil, new wipers on the mini van. 

More exciting things this morning, however. I have officially submitted my application for retirement. 

• Like 4

having to the cab of the merc truck nearly 2 months ago to add a new receiver and do a right hand dash conversion i deceided today to tidy up the spaghetti of wires  with spiral wrap(well sort of):lol:. combined 2 sets of roof light wires into 1 plug so i can use the vacant slot for the dash lights  started to reassemble the seats with driver to the dash then my brain got cooked and that was as far as i got 

IMG_20210830_145927.jpg

IMG_20210830_144115.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Opened my new GF01 to build it with no hop ups.  :D This kit comes with their red painted body which I have to say follows the poor quality as the 3 Billy’s injections I recently experienced.  wow Tamiya, you really are taking a nose dive in quality..  how can this be okay for a professional finish?  Looks like some 5 year old painted it.. :blink:  Lol 

IMG_Aug302021at111404AM.jpg.608861663dfe65cd8abbfd9a1674daba.jpg

IMG_Aug302021at111352AM.jpg.040c1ea546a87a8ea7159db875ab5dc1.jpg

IMG_Aug302021at111341AM.jpg.96be0c236a6ec50050746ec044b4fc85.jpg

Good thing I’m not going to be using this body.. will paint it olive green later.  :lol:

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Opened my new GF01 to build it with no hop ups.  :D This kit comes with their red painted body which I have to say follows the poor quality as the 3 Billy’s injections I recently experienced.  wow Tamiya, you really are taking a nose dive in quality..  how can this be okay for a professional finish?  Looks like some 5 year old painted it.. :blink:  Lol 

IMG_Aug302021at111404AM.jpg.608861663dfe65cd8abbfd9a1674daba.jpg

IMG_Aug302021at111352AM.jpg.040c1ea546a87a8ea7159db875ab5dc1.jpg

IMG_Aug302021at111341AM.jpg.96be0c236a6ec50050746ec044b4fc85.jpg

Good thing I’m not going to be using this body.. will paint it olive green later.  :lol:

Blimey.....even my masking puts that to shame and im terrible at it. Are there stickers that are supposed to neaten the edges between different colours?

• Like 1

I did a bit of crash test of the new version of led holders for the Super Hosthot successfully

uANzX70.jpg

B8Gclw9.jpg

PSbss08.jpg

At the end of the run, no damage, but I had to do some clean up (following pictures were done before the cleanup)

q6F2Zbk.jpg

7wTigU5.jpg

Not even sure the driver was able to see where he was going, but he should have get faster than usual, as normally, he is afraid :D

SQimDJO.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, topforcein said:

having to the cab of the merc truck nearly 2 months ago to add a new receiver and do a right hand dash conversion i deceided today to tidy up the spaghetti of wires  with spiral wrap(well sort of):lol:. combined 2 sets of roof light wires into 1 plug so i can use the vacant slot for the dash lights  started to reassemble the seats with driver to the dash then my brain got cooked and that was as far as i got 

IMG_20210830_145927.jpg

IMG_20210830_144115.jpg

LOL any chance you have a 1/10 arcade game cab to put that driver/seat in front of??

3 hours ago, topforcein said:

IMG_20210830_145927.jpg

IMG_20210830_144115.jpg

I particularly like the rolled up denim and the Adidas 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Blimey.....even my masking puts that to shame and im terrible at it. Are there stickers that are supposed to neaten the edges between different colours?

Thanks for that, I looked at the instructions and there are decals for the quarter flare top line to clean it up.   Good to know, it has been a while since I painted mine and in my case, I did not use those decals.. I remember now that decal started peeling back after some use and decided not use them on my 2nd body.  :D

Also for the roof line they include decals to cover up the uneven line.  I think I'll just use my white vinyl pin stripe for that one.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@silvertriple looks like birds made nests on your car while driving!  :lol:

Well, the different position I tried to break the new reinforced led attachement may have participated into this proofs of the testing efforts :-)
dyP5IWr.jpg
bLG0rfw.jpg
DaF7Jnn.jpg
4qEOu20.jpg
TCXAqQ7.jpg
0SbDFZW.jpg
3mqvGB1.jpg

NB: the screw which revendicated freedom is back in jail and everything is fine :-)

• Like 3

Finished the GF01.  Chassis is bone stock, no hop ups, running plastic bushings and all.  :D  Servo is a standard Futaba S3010 to keep it as budget minded and standard as possible for this experiment. 

IMG_Aug302021at70110PM.jpg.87313bf312aa0651aeacf9fe495f995a.jpg

My initial impression driving the car is that with the right amount of damper height adjustment for weight distribution, the car actually drives quite nicely with minimal exaggerated rebound.   

Plastic and brass bushings are running fine (with my mild driving indoors they will last years) I can’t tell a difference while driving vs ball bearings and even while free spinning the wheels off the ground they spin smoothly and consistently as they should.   I may end up not buying optional ball bearings for these comical cars and trucks in the future.  I will use bearings if they came with the car, but as with all the brass bushings on my M38, bushings appears to work just fine for casual driving. 

The biggest annoyance to me is the TBLE02S’s lack of modulation in variable speed.  I usually use a HobbyWing 1060 and it is leagues better than the TBLE02S.  Tamiya did something to this ESC recently that lost the modulation.  My old TBLE02S is much better.  So if on a limited budget and wanting to mod, before bearing and oil dampers, I’d swap out the ESC.  

Anyway that is my impression of a bone stock GF01 vs my hopped up ones.

• Like 8

aNjAWJv.jpg

Took out the Heavy Dump Truck to the park, on the gravel patch that's now an actual building site.

1rqBbb9.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I drove my GF01 again this morning before work and that TBLE02S reconfirmed it definitely makes the car behave less than what the car is capable of.. especially the off-throttle snap over steer caused by not enough throttle modulation to smoothly keep light variable throttle throughout the turn.  It can probably use stiffer springs in the front to compensate, but the goal here is to keep it stock, so only other way would be to raise the front and boat the rear..

23 hours ago, nel33 said:

LOL any chance you have a 1/10 arcade game cab to put that driver/seat in front of??

wished i had outrun for it but i do have one that would do tbh that my daughter brought me for fathers day a few years back and i recon it would work :lol:

• Like 1