Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@J@mes Looks like your restoration is coming along!   I restore M38's and go through the same process of cleaning and cleaning and cleaning some more before putting it back together.  I use 70% ~ 90% IPA to clean and disinfect the chassis, what chemicals do you use?  I found dish soap (and other gentler soaps included) to turn the black parts white, and possibly make some parts brittle. 

For me, beside posting in TC I've done literally nothing RC related today.  I had to go to the office for work and meetings after meetings after meetings and just got home.  Was nice to stretch my 1:1 WRX's legs (my daily driver) a bit during the commute.   Tomorrow I should have time to continue with the Beetle body to drill some body post holes and maybe even do a trial spray coat to see how much additional correction I still need to do.  Taking my time on this as I have no other projects going on right now.

• Like 1

@Willy iine I use a water with a drop of dish soap & elbow grease. Have a sonic bath for screws & a dremmel to polish if needed. Not had black plastic discolour from soap & water before however its good to know when I do there’s a tried & tested alternative, thank you! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, J@mes said:

@Willy iine I use a water with a drop of dish soap & elbow grease. Have a sonic bath for screws & a dremmel to polish if needed. Not had black plastic discolour from soap & water before however its good to know when I do there’s a tried & tested alternative, thank you! 

Sounds good.  Yeah, not sure what it is but seems like some soaps interact with the dies or something in the plastic and turns white.  With enough polishing it is reversible, but it can be a daunting task..  

9 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Sorry for the confusion! I meant TB Evo 7 chassis, not Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 7 :) 

Thanks though!

It's a shame the companies only made 1 Mitsubishi evo7 kit/body. If the wheel base matched I'd buy one for tt02, I wouldn't care if I already have 4 bodies for 1 chassis.

Fit the new body and wheels on my daughter’s rig.  Kids say the craziest things, “Daddy, I want a Holmes Revolver motor”, “Daddy, I want a Proline Cliffhanger that looks like Andy McMillin’s truck”, Daddy, I want Hyrax tires”, “Daddy, adjust the ramp on my throttle curve”…..

CFCD8AF2-B855-4781-9F9A-58934D1095B0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, nel33 said:

It's a shame the companies only made 1 Mitsubishi evo7 kit/body. If the wheel base matched I'd buy one for tt02, I wouldn't care if I already have 4 bodies for 1 chassis.

Tamiya's EVO VII WRC was a 257mm wheelbase that's a direct fit for the TT02, sadly it's long since discontinued. I believe L and L Models, make some replica Tamiya bodies like the EVO V though 👍

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, InsaneJim69 said:

Tamiya's EVO VII WRC was a 257mm wheelbase that's a direct fit for the TT02, sadly it's long since discontinued. I believe L and L Models, make some replica Tamiya bodies like the EVO V though 👍

interesting, one body is listed as 190mm, does that mean its 190mm wide? i think i need to find this body but im not hopeful. i did buy the ABC Sileighty shell. RCmart was long sold out but ebay had a buyer with 3 of them, i got 1 of them. i still need to cut and paint the FD3S before the Sil80 can be done...

15 minutes ago, nel33 said:

interesting, one body is listed as 190mm, does that mean its 190mm wide? i think i need to find this body but im not hopeful. i did buy the ABC Sileighty shell. RCmart was long sold out but ebay had a buyer with 3 of them, i got 1 of them. i still need to cut and paint the FD3S before the Sil80 can be done...

Yes just the standard for Tamiya cars 185-190mm. There is one on eBay UK painted with wheels tyres and original kit box. But it's crazy money tbh. 👍

38 minutes ago, InsaneJim69 said:

Yes just the standard for Tamiya cars 185-190mm. There is one on eBay UK painted with wheels tyres and original kit box. But it's crazy money tbh. 👍

the price is a problem but the fact its prepainted is also an issue... not crazy about red on that evo7, that Dandelion yellow looks hot. red TME evo6 yes but 7 needs yellow...

i see it on ebay, $170 for the shell, what did i get myself into by looking this up??? i dont remember what i purchased the ABC Sil80 for but it was a decent markup...

14 hours ago, nel33 said:

Hope you make it look very nice, evo 7 are the best looking of the lancer series. The yellow version is my fav for the model car. I have more than enough body shells for tt02 but I'm still missing an EVO7...

Evo 3 or 6.5 for me. Missed the boat on those though, until the next economic collapse when they will be sensible prices again.

@DeadMeat666 nice chassis, didn't it come with an alloy chassis though? I had the chance to buy a barely run one a few years ago for a very good price but didn't, wish i had!

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Evo 3 or 6.5 for me. Missed the boat on those though, until the next economic collapse when they will be sensible prices again.

@DeadMeat666 nice chassis, didn't it come with an alloy chassis though? I had the chance to buy a barely run one a few years ago for a very good price but didn't, wish i had!

i spent $140 CAD on the Sil80. the evo7 would cost an extra 30 dollars if i fall for it. just trying to cut and paint the TT02 bodies is a pain... not sure if i should get it even though i can afford it. still have 2 tt02 bodies to work on and still need storage for the current ones.. im tempted to get it to build this but im rationalizing the costs and the need to buy another body... its from my initial d 3 arcade days and its a bit of a treasured memory. i still have the arcade cards for it but no game to play them on. a picture may be worth a thousand words/memories but its also cheaper that paying $170 for a body shell...

evo7 C f.jpg

evo7 C r.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nel33 said:

i spent $140 CAD on the Sil80. the evo7 would cost an extra 30 dollars if i fall for it. just trying to cut and paint the TT02 bodies is a pain... not sure if i should get it even though i can afford it. still have 2 tt02 bodies to work on and still need storage for the current ones.. im tempted to get it to build this but im rationalizing the costs and the need to buy another body... its from my initial d 3 arcade days and its a bit of a treasured memory. i still have the arcade cards for it but no game to play them on. a picture may be worth a thousand words/memories but its also cheaper that paying $170 for a body shell...

evo7 C f.jpg

evo7 C r.jpg

I was meaning the 1:1. But your post made me feel better about NZD90 I spent on the Mondeo! But then i messed up the paint.

Funny, I was close to buying an EVO 7 in around 2010. An older colleague had more money than he knew what to do with and used to take his 911, Nissan GTR etc to trackdays. Back then for around NZD20k you could get a nice EVO 7 with coilovers, filter, exhaust etc so a nice 220kw atw with suspension to match which would have given his cars a good run on the track. I then realized that even though I wanted an Evo it was too much money just to be a d$fk and provea point....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I was meaning the 1:1. But your post made me feel better about NZD90 I spent on the Mondeo! But then i messed up the paint.

Funny, I was close to buying an EVO 7 in around 2010. An older colleague had more money than he knew what to do with and used to take his 911, Nissan GTR etc to trackdays. Back then for around NZD20k you could get a nice EVO 7 with coilovers, filter, exhaust etc so a nice 220kw atw with suspension to match which would have given his cars a good run on the track. I then realized that even though I wanted an Evo it was too much money just to be a d$fk and provea point....

i did see a 1:1 on an import site around mid?? 30K range or lower, not sure anymore. it was a bit sun faded and technically in reach but thats far from a smart move financially. not really sure what the details on the car conditions were but it was "hopped up". 1 daily 1:1 is more than enough for me. i got several JDM 1:1 i want to buy but cant.

LOL i love the sil80 AND evo7 they were my main runners in the arcade game. i was planning to buy the 1:10 sil80 or evo7 shells but the sil80 body showed up first on ebay and i had to make a choice on 1. if my $140 on a shell makes you feel better on the price of a body shell, then by all means i will allow that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nel33 said:

i did see a 1:1 on an import site around mid?? 30K range or lower, not sure anymore. it was a bit sun faded and technically in reach but thats far from a smart move financially. 1 daily 1:! is more than enough for me. i got several JDM 1:! i want to buy but cant.

LOL i love the sil80 AND evo7 they were my main runners in the arcade game. i was planning to buy the 1:10 sil80 or evo7 shells but the sil80 body showed up first on ebay and i had to make a choice on 1. if my $140 on a shell makes you feel better on the price of a body shell, then by all means i will allow that.

We had such a good run on JDM cars here, basically the only market taking them for ages. When the frontal impact laws changed here I could've had a mint, unable to be road registered, Evo 3 for $6k!. Everything has gone up now though. 

I pumped gas at a very busy petrol station in West Auckland (that will mean something to those who know Auckland) in the 90s so I have very fond memories of GC8 WRX, anything 4AGE, SR, RB or 1JZ/2JZ powered, HSV and then of course the 12A/13B crowd, and TX3 Lasers, Hondas etc. Good times

Also, given your ability to paint your $140 SiL80 is looking cheap! $90 a shot to ruin a body...

• Like 1

I owned the only "NZ new" Evo IV, imported (with delivery miles only) specifically for the CEO of Mitsubishi NZ. When I purchased it it had done only 18,000kms and was still under warranty but even Mitsubishi themselves couldn't service it for me, I had to take it to Ralliart NZ (Road, Race & Rally in Penrose) for that.

When that got written off (ugh) on Mount Eden Road one day I was at a loss... ended up getting an insurance payout of $500 more than I paid for it 3 years earlier (!!!) and picked up a red TME (6.5) and pocketed $8,000 in change. Fun times. Sold the TME eventually and got an M3.

I never really liked the 7-9 but loved the look of the X, would probably own one of those if the right opportunity came up.

SadEvo01.jpg

RedEvo.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nel33 said:

the price is a problem but the fact its prepainted is also an issue... not crazy about red on that evo7, that Dandelion yellow looks hot. red TME evo6 yes but 7 needs yellow...

i see it on ebay, $170 for the shell, what did i get myself into by looking this up??? i dont remember what i purchased the ABC Sil80 for but it was a decent markup...

Saw a "#58286 Tamiya Mitsubishi Evo Lancer VII WRC !NIB! TB-01" listed on a Dutch online marketplace for € 400,00:
≥ #58286 Tamiya Mitsubishi Evo Lancer VII WRC !NIB! TB-01 - Modelbouw | Radiografisch | Auto's - Marktplaats.nl

A lot of my cars sit around me in my home office (which is getting regular use whilst we're in lockdown down here) and I added a cheap new shelf today and promoted my Taisan Porsche and Hilux Hi-Lift to prominent positions which makes space elsewhere for my yet-to-be-built Fighting Buggy.

As you might be able to tell from the foreground boxes I still have some RC unpacking and arrangement to do. I certainly don't have enough space to display all the cars I want to!

I really like the Porsche up top here, photo is deceiving, the top shelf is about 5 foot high.

Second_Shelf_01.jpg

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, djmcnz said:

I owned the only "NZ new" Evo IV, imported (with delivery miles only) specifically for the CEO of Mitsubishi NZ. When I purchased it it had done only 18,000kms and was still under warranty but even Mitsubishi themselves couldn't service it for me, I had to take it to Ralliart NZ (Road, Race & Rally in Penrose) for that.

When that got written off (ugh) on Mount Eden Road one day I was at a loss... ended up getting an insurance payout of $500 more than I paid for it 3 years earlier (!!!) and picked up a red TME (6.5) and pocketed $8,000 in change. Fun times. Sold the TME eventually and got an M3.

I never really liked the 7-9 but loved the look of the X, would probably own one of those if the right opportunity came up.

SadEvo01.jpg

RedEvo.jpg

What a story, 2of the cars I would love to have owned. Evo4 is probably the best looking but they had issues so I went for WRX BiTD, even though the Evo 4 was the car I wanted then. What do you have now? Its funny to think of the cars I have bought recently compared to what 18yo me would buy!

21 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

What a story, 2of the cars I would love to have owned. Evo4 is probably the best looking but they had issues so I went for WRX BiTD, even though the Evo 4 was the car I wanted then. What do you have now? Its funny to think of the cars I have bought recently compared to what 18yo me would buy!

The IV, as the last of the "narrow bodies", did look awesome, especially with the "fangs" they added to the front radiator intake. At the time (1997) there was almost nothing like it on NZ roads and the term "boy racer" didn't exist so no disparaging comments or looks, mostly "WOW!! What is that?!?" - I had cops pull me over just to look at the car, multiple times. About 33 seconds after the warranty expired I threw $5k at it (boy racer! 😂) and put in a Link G4 with anti-lag and water injection and got a 2 Bar tune (FFS 🙄). It did 11s quarters...

Edit: I actually owned a 4G63 Galant VR-4 before the Evo's, also quite rare in NZ.

I still have the M3 (3.2 6-speed) but it's a weekend only car now, my current daily is a BMW 130i E87 (5 door) auto with a 280hp tune and some other bits to keep it fun, and it is a lot of fun (last of the BMW straight six NA RWD's, more info here).

Another car I would have owned at 18, could I afford it, I'd still own today (could I afford it) is an R32 GTR... Godzilla proper. Just impossible to find an unmolested one these days.

• Like 3

I went to my local park for some RC driving on my last day off. It's got a few nice places to drive

Firstly is the kid's paddling pool area. I go in the mornings or evenings when it's closed and no kids are about (obviously). When pool is dry you end up with a rocky landscape with lots of bumps. It's quite challenging to drive here, as those rocks are imbedded in the concrete, so a collision will really mess up a car. A few nice bumps, but you really have to line it up nicely and go slow.

yXk0T4r.jpg

Next up is the BMX track. Weekends and holidays it's always being used, but on a term time Wednesday morning it's empty.

It's hard to drive on, as there's no vantage point where you can see the car behind most jumps, so often it disappears for a while and you have to guess where the car is. I've yet to race the whole thing, I just try sections. The surface and jump size is perfect for a little air.

ZDFwkGt.jpg

ZDFwkGt.jpg

Going up the grass banks between the levels of the track was no issue for the GF01

AvZyXTQ.jpg

And lastly the bowling green. I don't think anyone's played bowls there for years. The green gets turned into a volleyball pitch by the local South American community, so it's a little worn. Perfect for spraying up some dirt

1ptEsGy.jpg

And the GF01 was fantastic.

Despite some warnings I didn't find it rolled that much and was pretty controllable. Perhaps it's the NiMH power and 20t pinion but I could pull wheelies, but only when I wanted to. Even turning quite hard on concrete would lift the wheels more than cause a roll over, and it only went end over twice.

The large tires and 4WD make it a decent truck for rough terrain. 

Faster than you might think, versatile and looks cool, it's a good buy in my book. 

• Like 4

Anyone know where these pieces go on the Blitzer Beetle body?   TIA.

IMG_Sep222021at73153AM.jpg.f7e797ffebcf95f2dcae0b953c336113.jpg

I was looking at all the parts that came with the body and was puzzled.. :huh:

31 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Anyone know where these pieces go on the Blitzer Beetle body?   TIA.

IMG_Sep222021at73153AM.jpg.f7e797ffebcf95f2dcae0b953c336113.jpg

I was looking at all the parts that came with the body and was puzzled.. :huh:

They look like headlight centres? 

James.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Yes the aluminum chassis plate is still in the box. I'm using PSM's carbon chassis for the TB Evo 7. Honestly it's just because it looks better 🤷 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, InsaneJim69 said:

They look like headlight centres? 

James.

Oh they go in the center.. ok thanks!!  Started working on the front body post using my totally stock GF01. 

I may end up getting another GF01 TR since I can’t find any shop with inventory of those spiked tires in the USA..  I see a pair, but need a full set and wheels.. and by that time why not just get a new TR.. 

9 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Yes the aluminum chassis plate is still in the box. I'm using PSM's carbon chassis for the TB Evo 7. Honestly it's just because it looks better 🤷 

It’s all about the looks at that point with those high end chassis cause you already know they basically outperform everything on the market anyway.  

That is my thinking too on the TOP Sabre Mini’s.   Build it, make it look nice, drive it a bit to confirm they outperform all my other M-chassis, display it.  

• Like 1