Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

just glued the exterior edge of my yellow associated 2.2" wheels and Jconcept sprinter square tread buggy tires, blue compound. letting the glue dry a bit before i glue the other side, need the tires so i can do tarmac speed runs with the manta.

installing the cactus tires with the td kit on the rim is a good workout. got the sprinter tires glued now onto the TD tires. used up one of the crazy 2ml tubes in the process. now my hands smell like new tires...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ImALlama said:

@Pylon80 Finally finished the 2012 today, as usual being an adult kept getting in the way of fun the past few weeks :(. After seeing pictures of @Willy iines creations almost daily I was inspired and thought it would be the perfect solution. So I ordered some paint, decals, and a billy (helmet seam was terrible on mine too) and went to work to create the “Billy One” or “Formula Billy”, idk maybe someone can come up with a better name. He’s a little big and couldn’t fit the arms nicely but it works for me :lol:. I’ll post some better pictures later but here it is..

50FA94DC-E579-4A61-932C-9BFD7984AD32.thumb.jpeg.9299963ccb6963dbae61d74498a871ec.jpeg

Now that's something different! I like it! So... Did you use PS as primer then TS over it? 

• Thanks 1

Just real simple stuff to tidy things up on my Billy’s Beetle.. the green and yellow leads peeking out were an eye sore on this car’s color scheme..

IMG_Sep282021at84129AM.jpg.12fe5d12a5afd7535edba6e9a1c520f9.jpg

IMG_Sep282021at84142AM.jpg.300ee20e8c35cd849e611033d4d2acf9.jpg

IMG_Sep282021at84156AM.jpg.7db810863410f1cecd2fecc659a3c2cd.jpg

IMG_Sep282021at84221AM.thumb.jpg.492350c8c4314910fc93201701f13788.jpg

• Like 4

I've just accidentally ordered a 2011 Avante kit. As it's not arrived yet here's a pic of another one. 

10828090_757213241042276_6712454939047168143_o.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, toyolien said:

I've just accidentally ordered a 2011 Avante kit. As it's not arrived yet here's a pic of another one. 

What's different from the one you built?   I'm still waiting on my Egress kits.. 

14 hours ago, ImALlama said:

Thank you. Perfect name for it too :lol:

I showed your car to my son who follows F1 and he said your car is ready for the Afghan GP..  :lol:

:ph34r:..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

What's different from the one you built?   I'm still waiting on my Egress kits.. 

Haven't ever had an Avante. I did have a comical avante though 👍

Spent most of the day finishing a new build Xray for practice tonight before realising there's not enough petrol in the car to get there :(

• Sad 2

got the manta ready for a speed run then saw some technical difficulties... i think i need a different set of tires or thinner hex wheel mounts if i want to use these tires on the manta. it still looks striking nonetheless :). the rear rims are a bit thicker than proper tires so i had to use locktight to ensure it will stay on. these are teh rims i allocated for the TD, hope the rear shaft clearances will be good.

IMG_4873a.jpg

IMG_4872a.jpg

IMG_4876a.jpg

• Like 1

@nel33 Is that wheel nut serrated?   Not sure what kind of power you are going for, but I'd be worried that wheel nut may come loose with just locktite blue... (?)

8 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@nel33 Is that wheel nut serrated?   Not sure what kind of power you are going for, but I'd be worried that wheel nut may come loose with just locktite blue... (?)

It's serrated, it's not the perfect fit to say the least but I want to at least see it's speed on the actual road. The Manta spike tires are still new so I'm trying to save the spikes for now. A few good bursts on the road for speed shouldn't hurt much.

Just now, nel33 said:

It's serrated, it's not the perfect fit to say the least but I want to at least see it's speed on the actual road. The Manta spike tires are still new so I'm trying to save the spikes for now. A few good bursts on the road for speed shouldn't hurt much.

Cool, serrated, non-serrated makes a huge difference.  GL with the top speed test.  

6 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Cool, serrated, non-serrated makes a huge difference.  GL with the top speed test.  

Thanks, if only eBay had instant delivery for GPS speed tracker... I'm bring a "care package" along with me including the proper tires to swap back onto it. Bringing 3 batteries and see a battery run test. The drag brake is pulling some power vs other ESC I use.

19 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Nikko85 Looks good, I especially like your tire choice how it fits nicely with the truck’s fender arches.   Nice and meaty!

Thanks! It's my first time spray painting, and my second proper Tamiya, but I feel it's working ok.

This is with the black body, driving one handed is hard, but some quick action footage

https://imgur.com/a/Qu4CIoA

Fun on loose gravel and concrete for sure.

• Like 1

Decided to redo one of recent Billy’s helmet as the parting line was showing through the paint.  Tried the 2mm mask for curves.  I like!

Since I had some time, also painted his torso.. will camo later.

IMG_Sep282021at51354PM.jpg.64fc22ad5c654d7ce5bbfcd8e18521e0.jpg

IMG_Sep282021at51420PM.jpg.6d94585f308864841e8dddaea0357180.jpg

IMG_Sep282021at51431PM.jpg.9777d671bf1e73b504cdd685d17501e0.jpg

• Like 2

took the manta for a run on the road today and had good results. its not the fastest speed and it durable... didnt setout to torture test the wing but fate decided otherwise. top speed visually estimated with the sprinter tires is 25-28kmh?? and its a bit sensitive to bumps and ruts. i can try making the shocks looser or adding preload to the springs. it has good turning to the point it tail slides if i dont slow down enough it will become tail happy but could also traction roll. it traction rolls much easier on the pavement and only more extreme turns to that on grass. these tires dont deal that well with long wet grass but can handle pavement really well. one unfortunate bump over a manhole cover at full speed made it do a backflip onto its shell. the front shock towers took the brunt scraping some orange paint from the shocks. the wing fared a bit worse. the wing flexed and picked up minor cracks, the top ridges scraped a bit, one side bottom edge too a light bend and the road rash managed to make contact with the curved wing supported when it slid/flipped onto its back. the wing reinforcement is holding up just fine given the abuse. im more inclined to use this offroad at this point as its easier on the body/wing LOL. a bit of ps silver and metallic blue hides most of the damage.

went through one battery and a bit of the 2nd later on. had a small issue of installing the battery door on the body. the battery had 1 layer of masking tape on the big bulge and its tight fit as it is already. the rear tires held on well with no loosening issues. im getting to know the manta each time i run it almost traction rolled it first time i did a hard turn on the road but it didnt flip over. trying to see the speed and turn input to tail slide it will take some time.

IMG_4878.JPG

• Sad 1

Ouch, @nel33!  But good to hear you got a chance to taste full throttle and those new tires.  

In other news, I had one of my contractors come out today to fix a lamp post as it was tilting from long normal use.   You know, I was pretty sure they would accidentally cut the leads to the lamp when they dug around it to pour more concrete..and they did.   :rolleyes: And they cut it like less than 15mm from the post so there was really no way to fix besides adding a jumper.   And these contractors aren't electricians so I ended up having to have to fix it by soldering a short jumper wire 7-8"  in the dirt with poor visibility.  It's fixed but not sure how well e-tape will hold underground in the wet as it's in the lawn..  Too bad they cut the "+" wire, if it was the ground, probably won't burn out the transformer if the wire got wet.  The lamp runs off 12V.. (120v =transformer=> 12v => lamp)

3 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Ouch, @nel33!  But good to hear you got a chance to taste full throttle and those new tires.  

yeah, its a bit more damage than id like to see on the wing this early on but i probably would have destroyed the wing by now with the "tests" i put it though already if it was just a single lexan wing form. i checked the nuts on the tires periodically through the runs.

10 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Now that's something different! I like it! So... Did you use PS as primer then TS over it? 

I used a whole can of PS white as a primer on the body, then TS over that. I didn’t bother preparing or even cleaning the front wing before spraying it matte black, looks good and hoping it won’t chip, but I expect it will.

• Like 1

An esc showed up so I put it in the ff03 (started to, need to solder connectors), which meant the silvercan goes in the pile of spares for the BSFTAV (billy f1) and the cheapy brushless I had sitting around has a new home. Cut out a couple bodies, might do box art with the HKS Vectra still undecided. The Ford gt will be another try something different with what’s laying around. Which means there’s a good chance it’ll look horrible and billy could end up with a gt to go with his f1 :lol:

C832E8A4-534C-4A45-84F6-7429E7A6F0B6.thumb.jpeg.2a84de27ce6657ba7cd075c1ede20df9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Took the Rc10 for a few more autumn runs yesterday after rebuilding the shocks with new O rings. Good times

20210928-230534.jpg

• Like 11

And today I dug out the Big Boss for an evening run around a nearby lake.

20210928-212823.jpg

Screenshot-20210928-212516-Video-Player.

20210928-212552.jpg

• Like 9