Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah, I actually enjoy the maintenance that comes along with these old motors and have spare rotors for most of them so I don't mind running them. Both have been used anyway, the Acto more so than the Dyna.

I may even put a few packs through just to see how it goes with those motors and then swap out for something like a Sport Tuned for the longer term.

See what happens. :)

Cool, share your opinions on driving the different motors please when you've experienced them. I'm not gonna ask for comparison videos but it would be great to hear anyway. I've always wondered what is the right speed to enjoy these things these days, getting older and not having to compete. I mean, if the car is too fast you don't see how good it looks... In the videos I prefer slow motion, but the suspension has to work, so 5mph doesn't do it... 

• Like 1

A rare 200k round trip to my nearest hobby shop today. After kicking myself for leaving transparent Red there a while back and seeing what you can do with it by other members on here. Also picked up a Soldering Station which should make for some tidier soldering 😁

Transparent, red & blue, some black, green, gold, smoke in Tamiya. Spaz Stix colour changing gold/purple/orange/red, Metallic silver and a Pearl Sapphire blue. Should keep me busy for a while.

08E545A2-42DE-4FA5-9B9C-280CDF7D30D7.jpg

Now enjoying a candle light dinner as the powers gone off in the street. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

Whatever that box is, please do up like a picnic hamper.

Edit: I've just realised that back rest is the spare bumper - utter genius! I may have to liberally borrow this idea for Edgarmon's comfort!

I like your hamper idea but not sure I’ve got the skills for that paint job! I’ve got a crate of cola coming that will sit nicely on top!

Yes, the back rest is a spare bumper  and the box is a spare air con controller holder! The receiver will fit inside well and the little platform means the wiring is all pretty well hidden

B3CDFB82-7E53-4988-81E1-468C0C39AF1D.thumb.jpeg.360da7f7d77319fa0fd7c4efc9a1ef35.jpeg

I’m going to try and tidy up the cables on and install a driver in my Egress soon. Space is a bit more limited than in the Land Cruiser though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Yoshimitsu said:

Has anyone else done this on their Beetle? Just looking for tips on painting the lenses.🙏😁

IMG_20211007_202345.jpg

I painted mine on the inside with these, I cut out some flat chrome plated stuff left over from a static truck kit behind them, drilled a small hole in it for the mounting screw.

956F5996-95EE-4D5B-B06F-5034EB360AF1.jpg

I tend not to put the reverse lights on as I feel it makes them look a bit cluttered and my old 72’ 1:1 didn’t have any either. (Just my opinion there 😉)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

I painted mine on the inside with these, I cut out some flat chrome plated stuff left over from a static truck kit behind them, drilled a small hole in it for the mounting screw.

956F5996-95EE-4D5B-B06F-5034EB360AF1.jpg

I tend not to put the reverse lights on as I feel it makes them look a bit cluttered and my old 72’ 1:1 didn’t have any either. (Just my opinion there 😉)

They look amazing! And that masking between the blue and white.👏

I was going to just plastic cement mine into the surround then plastic cement onto the body.😬 Got any pics of the back of yours?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Yoshimitsu 👍🏻 I might have a pic somewhere?  I’ll have a dig through.

Here’s the thread I did on it, the tail lights are on the 1st page, hope that helps,

I went all out for a decent job on this one, so happy with it 😁

@Re-Bugged Those tails look very good.  

I have no knowledge of Beetles (only driven the last gen cabrio a rental car place gave me when I landed in Ohio for business), but Tamiya's instructions shows to paint the top lens red (red/orange/white top to bottom), but going by faint memory the lamps I remembered back in the 70's - 80's went orange/red/white (in my case) so I am glad I painted it correctly.. looking at yours verified my memory.   :D

• Like 1

Today I worked on..

Started off painting the fire extinguisher on the roll bar and installed into the pickup bed.   I need to work a few hours, but during my break I will spray the side mirrors and roll bar lamp covers. 

IMG_Oct82021at82914AM.jpg.d2c58b09a8ca9014d47865d45c851b8e.jpg

Update..  painted the pieces and since I had my ghetto paint booth out, also painted the wheels for my other Beetle GF01TR I need to build and give back to Billy.. wheel color is TS70.. was that orange yellow color..

IMG_Oct82021at102753AM.jpg.d446c1ff203004278722f7124c29516d.jpg

IMG_Oct82021at93754AM.jpg.dca5f30076aa3115a31299deb9599d56.jpg

Silly me, I should’ve  painted the other pair of side mirrors currently on the blue pickup..  definitely distracted as I was working on my 1:1 STI this morning and getting ready to do an oil change on the whole house generator tomorrow.. geeez.

Update… made the muffler, now working on the bracket.

IMG_Oct82021at124404PM.jpg.4c699c4b8a2a746b42b0bdfddf70624c.jpg

Update…. No engineering talent so took 2 different approaches and total 4 tries to get the mount angle correct.. :blink:

IMG_Oct82021at21323PM.jpg.6eda3adfb1f106d7c68fd2f30def6fdb.jpg

At least the wheels turned out okay on the first try.. 

IMG_Oct82021at21340PM.jpg.422cb1baab36d43d714285feae1d7eb8.jpg

Update….. how’s that for clearance?   No rubbing, fully functional wheelie bar. 

IMG_Oct82021at30112PM.jpg.68052538f6d57be79a6337fc297c9676.jpg

Update….. last update for today.. I just could not stand the TBLE02S‘a lack of throttle modulation so swapped to 1060 and ordered a couple more.   I am okay with plastic bushings and friction shocks on the GF01, but the ESC needs to be replaced at minimum.. imo. 

IMG_Oct82021at43705PM.jpg.4a20e94d367985f6a0078f7e8f024f08.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 5

Painted the second and final colour on my F-250 body. It's not perfect but as the shell is far from being good either I'm happy with the result. Maybe I will put the stickers on it this evening.

IMG20211008155218_compress36.thumb.jpg.25e8f8c17b18b2b4ec75873d48315ec4.jpg

• Like 5

@alvinlwh are those ramp/gravity racers?  They look cool but the online prices for these old kits are a bit crazy...

Took the slash for a garage speed run, had a top speed of 0kmh. Underground parking duhh... A short section of road outside clocked the slash at 35km. I got some other plans for the day but I have enough time to bring slash and Manta out again for speed tests. They won't look pretty with the green painters tape but it will hold. I will have plenty of daylight for this set of runs.

1 minute ago, nel33 said:

@alvinlwh are those ramp/gravity racers?  They look cool but the online prices for these old kits are a bit crazy...

Took the slash for a garage speed run, had a top speed of 0kmh. Underground parking duhh... A short section of road outside clocked the slash at 35km. I got some other plans for the day but I have enough time to bring slash and Manta out again for speed tests. They won't look pretty with the green painters tape but it will hold. I will have plenty of daylight for this set of runs.

No, they are Tamiya Mini 4WD.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/mini4wd/m4item/m4item.htm

Some one them comes in larger versions.

spacer.png

IMG_20210818_140706.jpeg.91b13ab5e42ee23a298abfa117b44d0a.thumb.jpeg.07893b6cb5edb66ff3618b94aa7abc4e.jpeg

IMG_20210828_182922.thumb.jpg.eee01d20caba964bc19d53016040f926.jpg

4 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

No, they are Tamiya Mini 4WD.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/mini4wd/m4item/m4item.htm

Some one them comes in larger versions.

spacer.png

IMG_20210818_140706.jpeg.91b13ab5e42ee23a298abfa117b44d0a.thumb.jpeg.07893b6cb5edb66ff3618b94aa7abc4e.jpeg

IMG_20210828_182922.thumb.jpg.eee01d20caba964bc19d53016040f926.jpg

Thank you for the reply, given their small size I thought they weren't self powered. Paying that much for gravity based speed doesn't make sense, battery powered makes more sense. Are they AA OR AAA batteries?

And now I asked a question I shouldn't have asked in the first place... I know there are TD and Manta versions of this... LOL.

7 minutes ago, nel33 said:

Thank you for the reply, given their small size I thought they weren't self powered. Paying that much for gravity based speed doesn't make sense, battery powered makes more sense. Are they AA OR AAA batteries?

And now I asked a question I shouldn't have asked in the first place... I know there are TD and Manta versions of this... LOL.

They are AA powered, but I am going to mod at least one to run on 1S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_4WD

If you compare the release dates, many RC are in fact based on them. I believe Tamiya release the smaller cheaper version first to see how popular they are before investing in the production of a RC version. These are cheap, around £6 ex P&P from Japan, I used to race them in my early teen years growing up in the Far East. In fact they are many's introduction to Tamiya cars and growing up to RCing. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

They are AA powered, but I am going to mod at least one to run on 1S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_4WD

If you compare the release dates, many RC are in fact based on them. I believe Tamiya release the smaller cheaper version first to see how popular they are before investing in the production of a RC version. These are cheap, around £6 ex P&P from Japan, I used to race them in my early teen years growing up in the Far East. In fact they are many's introduction to Tamiya cars and growing up to RCing. 

thanks and how fast do they go? a nice slow speed for indoors should be ok for me or for that price of under $50 static is agreeable.

though i hate to burst your bubble but you are missing a super dragon...

LOL NOW i have a 7th kit and it wont take up much space Tamiya 95462 mini manta JR white pro MS kit chassis, does that come with a shell or not? 

edit: this is what unboxing vids are good for, it comes with a shell. i see a motor but no steering servo or rx.

1 hour ago, nel33 said:

thanks and how fast do they go? a nice slow speed for indoors should be ok for me or for that price of under $50 static is agreeable.

though i hate to burst your bubble but you are missing a super dragon...

LOL NOW i have a 7th kit and it wont take up much space Tamiya 95462 mini manta JR white pro MS kit chassis, does that come with a shell or not? 

edit: this is what unboxing vids are good for, it comes with a shell. i see a motor but no steering servo or rx.

Depending on motor, gearing, etc, they can go as fast as 80kmh I had heard, but that is the extreme rather the norm. Here is a more typical  one at 35kmh.

I do not count the Super Dragon as part of the family, RC or not as the RC Dragons have a Thundershot chassis and the Mini 4WD ones have a Super II chassis. The Super Storm Dragon has a GrassHopper and VS chassis respectively, therefore I do not consider it part of the Dragon family. 

They do not not need rx or servos, that is what the rollers are for. Although there are 2 cars that are RC, the SU-01 chassis, they are extremely rare (in fact I think the Thundershot is impossible to buy anywhere now). 

The MS is a modern chassis that I am not familiar. It uses a double shaft motor that is different from the typical 130s and I do not really want to have another set of motors to manage. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Depending on motor, gearing, etc, they can go as fast as 80kmh I had heard, but that is the extreme rather the norm. Here is a more typical  one at 35kmh.

I do not count the Super Dragon as part of the family, RC or not as the RC Dragons have a Thundershot chassis and the Mini 4WD ones have a Super II chassis. The Super Storm Dragon has a GrassHopper and VS chassis respectively, therefore I do not consider it part of the Dragon family. 

They do not not need rx or servos, that is what the rollers are for. Although there are 2 cars that are RC, the SU-01 chassis, they are extremely rare (in fact I think the Thundershot is impossible to buy anywhere now). 

The MS is a modern chassis that I am not familiar. It uses a double shaft motor that is different from the typical 130s and I do not really want to have another set of motors to manage. 

Thank you for the reply, so they rely on the guided track for steering? The motor turns on and they follow the track. I guess mine will have to look fast when static, not that it's a huge let down in the end.

Did my speed runs. Gravel grass maximum speed 31kmh though it was mostly due to gravel road. The stock 2wd slash and trencher tires got 31 on grass and 36 on road.

1 hour ago, nel33 said:

Thank you for the reply, so they rely on the guided track for steering? The motor turns on and they follow the track. I guess mine will have to look fast when static, not that it's a huge let down in the end.

Did my speed runs. Gravel grass maximum speed 31kmh though it was mostly due to gravel road. The stock 2wd slash and trencher tires got 31 on grass and 36 on road.

They are meant as "pocket money" toys and an precursor that hopefully lead to RCing, Tamiya's way of getting people on board when they are young. With 2 x AA and a 130 motor, they were not meant to compete with 540 motors for speed either. 

• Like 1

Finished this up today. Its a perfect wheelbase for ORVs and im thinking of buying another Brat for a Ranger type build.

20211007_144344.jpg

20211008_154521.jpg

20211008_154529.jpg

20211008_154549.jpg

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Zealot said:

Still undecided on whether to go 53153 Acto-Power or 53263 Dyna-Run.

Tasty motors, did you acquire the Acto-Power recently? I'm looking for one at anything other than eBay prices.

Sorry double post..

Meanwhile please enjoy my latest truck photo.. B)   I'm going to cut a hole on the roof tomorrow (sunroof) to give Billy more lighting.. 

IMG_Oct82021at30449PM.jpg.a8253d92366ab0c424feb6f3ca18e141.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

They are meant as "pocket money" toys and an precursor that hopefully lead to RCing, Tamiya's way of getting people on board when they are young. With 2 x AA and a 130 motor, they were not meant to compete with 540 motors for speed either. 

thats understandable, either way its a a cool smaller version of he larger kit. it didnt set me back by much anyway and should be an easy build.

Speaking of mini-yonku, I want to get that new truck Gambol (sp?).   Not that I have any where to race it or anything, just a kazari.  Not sure of release date.