Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Finished my Giulia, and took some photos……lots of photos, here’s a few…

77D47605-7C32-466F-B912-005A7C71CAD1.jpg 

CC5034B5-4ABA-4915-80CE-DF20145BD703.jpg 

E16F28F9-EC8E-4013-BEB1-2E4AD288D09F.jpg

Wow.  Just wow, man...  I wish I waited a year until you finished yours so I could learn some skills from you and copy yours.   

Your Giulia is a whole class above mine. One heck of a job you did. 

Better late than never, let me pick your brain.  What kind of red is that?  Green and red are stickers or a masking job?  The horizontal lines on either side of 23 are stickers?  

• Thanks 1

Today I spent an hour or more sorting the screws sets from my Avante. Long ago most of the screw bags and the Ti screw kit got accidentally mixed up and the whole lot went into the 'too hard' basket (or box in this case). Some 10 years on, on a wet Sunday afternoon, I decided to sort it out (literally), boy the Avante has a lot of screws! I seem to have misplaced my magnetic parts tray which is annoying and made this task just a little bit more tricky.

From this:

Avante_Screw_Up.jpg

To this...

Avante_Screw_Up_Fixed.jpg

It would be a shame not to build it now right? :ph34r:

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Unfortunately, it would require a hard body Mini (I’m not aware of one available) and even then, the likely wheelbase would not match :-(

We can dream and wish for a 3D printer…

True. But you didn't need to bring reality into the equation hahah ... keep the dream alive!

9 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Between last night and today I decided that I just could not get myself to do the box art on my comical SS.  Mainly I’m not a fan of those fake brand stickers it comes with (nor slapping a lot of decals in general as some of you may have already noticed) so I decided to go off the rails again.  :lol:   

I ran with off-white for the main body color to get some warmth and consistency to accommodate the battleship red I will use for the sides.   

Still undecided whether to go gloss on the off white or matte it down.  I have a bunch of 1:1 car detailing gear so getting rid of the orange peel is no issue.  

However, I got 2 pin holes in the putty between the hood and cone.  I’ve never had this happen before, but with my poor vision I am sure I must have missed it.  I’m going to have to file a parting line there after the paint dries and re-spray..  might consider doing a black bonnet.

IMG_Oct232021at34311PM.jpg.27380d2f85ef3b7200624311a7c409d9.jpg

Update..

Grooved a parting line for the bonnet to cone so that I could rid the pin holes.   Actually the car looks better with this parting line.. 

IMG_Oct232021at54043PM.jpg.c1221983f8670adf33653b7affbd4865.jpg

Parting line does add to the look.

Personally I would matte the color right down, get rid of any semi gloss or satin look. and then have the color bring that in, with maybe a semi-gloss look ... high gloss might look odd depending on color your choose.

But also agree too many decals, and box art, not my thing either.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Aerobert said:

That's awesome. I love it.

17 hours ago, GeeWings said:

Beautiful. Great work

17 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Gorgeous, I can see why you went for orange under the red, it really works. Like the grille work too.

Thank you Gents very much 👍🏻

13 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

THAT is the prettiest Giulia I have ever seen, and I've seen many.

Absolutely stunning.

Thank you, it’s funny that Mrs RB was also really genuinely quite taken with it too. Telling me it’s my best one to date. No worries having it on show in the lounge, I’m thinking I should strike while the irons hot and get another one 😉

13 hours ago, Yoshimitsu said:

Agree. I have one coming but there's no way I can make it look like that .

I bet you could 👍🏻 

13 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I deleted my Alfa picture in embarrassment..  :ph34r: 

Just park yours behind all those M38’s 😉

12 hours ago, silvertriple said:

Really beautiful paintjob!!!

Cheers 👍🏻

4 hours ago, Juggular said:

Wow.  Just wow, man...  I wish I waited a year until you finished yours so I could learn some skills from you and copy yours.   

Your Giulia is a whole class above mine. One heck of a job you did. 

Better late than never, let me pick your brain.  What kind of red is that?  Green and red are stickers or a masking job?  The horizontal lines on either side of 23 are stickers?  

Thank you, I couldn’t believe it when I saw this come up at Tamico as I’ve been kicking myself since the last run dried up.

Now have you got your pen & paper handy..

1, PS37 Transparent Red

2, PS61 Metallic Orange 

3, PS17 Metallic Green (door)

4, PS60 Bright Mica Red (door) 

5, PS23 Gun Metal (Pin Stripes, then backed with Black)

6, PS57 Pearl White

7, All backed with Spaz Stix Metallic Silver.

The No23 is a Sticker off my Fighting Buggy 😉

I’ve got a bit of a thing for the Tamiya Curvy tape 😁 Now you will just have to do another one. 

I think I’ve got back to everyone here, thanks again for the kind words all, very much appreciated.

Man there’s a great bunch of people on here 👍🏻

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

I’ve got a bit of a thing for the Tamiya Curvy tape 😁 Now you will just have to do another one.

I've picked up some of this up for a design idea, but haven't used it yet. How well does it seal around the edges ?

38 minutes ago, Ryz82 said:

I've picked up some of this up for a design idea, but haven't used it yet. How well does it seal around the edges ?

I have a few different sizes 5mm, 3mm, and 2mm. They all go round corners nicely, the 5mm takes a bit of manipulation for tight curves but is surprising what it will go to.

Once it’s flat just keep running your finger nail over it particularly right before spraying and again after the first couple of coats. Make sure any overlaps are pressed in (the other end of a scalpel is good for that) to prevent bleeds.

I find I get a cleaner line than with the yellow stuff. I also just gently score (literally just resting the scalpel blade on the fresh paint almost dry) along the edge of the tape in between coats. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

I have a few different sizes 5mm, 3mm, and 2mm. They all go round corners nicely, the 5mm takes a bit of manipulation for tight curves but is surprising what it will go to.

Once it’s flat just keep running your finger nail over it particularly right before spraying and again after the first couple of coats. Make sure any overlaps are pressed in (the other end of a scalpel is good for that) to prevent bleeds.

I find I get a cleaner line than with the yellow stuff. I also just gently score (literally just resting the scalpel blade on the fresh paint almost dry) along the edge of the tape in between coats. 

From memory I picked up the 12mm, will be using it around wheel arches initially, and then possibly for some more free curves unless i decide to print that particular design onto masking sheet (A4) and cut and by hand.

Sounds like I should be ok then. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, djmcnz said:

It would be a shame not to build it now right? :ph34r:

Yeah! And a real shame not to do a build thread so we can all share in the beauty of it 👍

On 10/23/2021 at 6:30 AM, TurnipJF said:

I third it.

So, I spray painted a side version in "chrome" (aluminium really).

What are the thoughts

Black with black side panel

2ldn7zx.jpg

Black with aluminium panel

3WL6SuX.jpg

6etkQiy.jpg

Black with no panel (black battery)

E5BV8XW.jpg

And in white:

F0v5yQf.jpg

Wyu5cz3.jpg

qXC57AY.jpg

Still on the fence. With the all black battery in looks better than it did, and a battery sticking out is a conceit that's in lots of RC cars.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

What are the thoughts

2ldn7zx.jpg

Wyu5cz3.jpg

Still on the fence. With the all black battery in looks better than it did, and a battery sticking out is a conceit that's in lots of RC cars.

Black with black and blue/white with chrome both look great to me 👍

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

3WL6SuX.jpg

This for sure. Maybe even put some highlights with the X's perhaps a red to match the pin stripe, or just a black/gun metal for them only ?

1 hour ago, Nikko85 said:

Wyu5cz3.jpg

Now I see this, I reckon it needs to be white or blue to match the body. Perhaps white, with the X's again highlighted with either the red or blue to match the body

@Nikko85 On the black truck I would go with the silver covers and on the blue/white  truck I'd go with the black covers.  You already have a whole bunch of color on the blue/white truck so I'd keep the focus on the body, not the chassis.  The black battery looks okay too, but the covers make them look intentional and that could be your key to making them look the way they are supposed to look.  

With one-off cars you have to sort of put your foot down telling the world THIS is how it's supposed to look.  So I like the commanding look with the covers.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

What are the thoughts

2ldn7zx.jpg

My vote would be to minimize the visibility of the tank, thus paint it black on both liveries. I would prefer the body to pop, not the tank.

Working on painting the cockpit of a Toyota Celica rally car. Having too many projects concurrently limits bandwidth severely :)

I hope to post some pics soon.

• Like 1

What I am working on today..  continuing on with my snail like incremental updates..

So last night I ended up cleaning up the parting line even further as it was not clean enough for me and fired away at the last of my off-white paint past 10pm in my mud room ghetto portable paint booth.  I am completely out of that paint, so not good..

IMG_Oct242021at81506AM.jpg.891075734d95b71d340ab9f2c6cbd63c.jpg

And this morning masked away and hit the fender flares with some color..

IMG_Oct242021at81525AM.jpg.67a34e8e2c1bcf0db84cffb7f7997cb3.jpg

Will let it dry for 6hours and I will mask the roof..  in the mean time, I am going to paint Billy's suit.  More updates to follow.

Update.. After one hour of drying, I touched up on a few blemishes on the fender flares and hit it again with more paint.. so another 6 hour wait time.   This is why progress is so slow. 

Battleship dull red TS33 looks good on this car.  Will do the roof next.. 

IMG_Oct242021at95532AM.jpg.eb628aac02d8c0da6ba55fd21df1a665.jpg

Update... now that paint has sort of set, I started masking the roof.  I still need to give it another 4 hours before I can safely wrap the fenders with paper. 

IMG_Oct242021at114845AM.jpg.1dd711976c91a1237b5759d6f152031a.jpg

“Hi Daddy, I painted your beetle while you were bye bye..“  :blink:  holy moly!

IMG_Oct242021at114901AM.jpg.dc461ae71baa26d1755a3ec77fb35ed3.jpg

:lol: JK, just making sure paint gets into the nooks when I spray the roof battleship red.  

Update...

Billy is ready to go.. will wrap up the body for the roof painting in the next 30min..

IMG_Oct242021at33824PM.jpg.f61d6a20959697aede40567bec3ab389.jpg

Last update for today..

Got the battleship red painted on the roof.  Due to the mask on the windshield  and sunroof it looks weird, but it should be okay.   Tomorrow will paint the kidneys.

IMG_Oct242021at44836PM.jpg.22b663309bdcff295f03b5bb053bde97.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 2

First drive with the R32 HKS, Sport Tuned motor, stock gearing and CVA shocks, handles good but not that fast so I'll probably go for one of the gears included with the Carson tuning set.

HFOH7Qi.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Willy iine said:

What I am working on today..  continuing on with my snail like incremental updates..

So last night I ended up cleaning up the parting line even further as it was not clean enough for me and fired away at the last of my off-white paint past 10pm in my mud room ghetto portable paint booth.  I am completely out of that paint, so not good..

IMG_Oct242021at81506AM.jpg.891075734d95b71d340ab9f2c6cbd63c.jpg

And this morning masked away and hit the fender flares with some color..

IMG_Oct242021at81525AM.jpg.67a34e8e2c1bcf0db84cffb7f7997cb3.jpg

Will let it dry for 6hours and I will mask the roof..  in the mean time, I am going to paint Billy's suit.  More updates to follow.

Update.. After one hour of drying, I touched up on a few blemishes on the fender flares and hit it again with more paint.. so another 6 hour wait time.   This is why progress is so slow. 

Battleship dull red TS33 looks good on this car.  Will do the roof next.. 

IMG_Oct242021at95532AM.jpg.eb628aac02d8c0da6ba55fd21df1a665.jpg

When you cut up the bodies what do you use? Looks far too clean a cut for Dr Dremmel?

5 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

What are the thoughts

2ldn7zx.jpg

Black with aluminium panel

3WL6SuX.jpg

6etkQiy.jpg

Black with no panel (black battery)

E5BV8XW.jpg

And in white:

F0v5yQf.jpg

Wyu5cz3.jpg

qXC57AY.jpg

Personally I think both shells look best with the painted covers. The paint makes then look like an intentional part of the design, sitting there proudly with nothing to hide. 

5 hours ago, Busdriver said:

When you cut up the bodies what do you use? Looks far too clean a cut for Dr Dremmel?

I only use hand tools as dremel generates too much heat.  I used an Olfa/Tamiya hand saw.   If Tamiya, part number is 300074111.   

Then it's just using various files and a knife from there.  

Door dimples I use a rotary tool with sanding point head to start off the circle and then take my grinder bit on my electric driver.  All other cuts  and holes are hand tools.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VileQuenouille said:

First drive with the R32 HKS, Sport Tuned motor, stock gearing and CVA shocks, handles good but not that fast so I'll probably go for one of the gears included with the Carson tuning set.

HFOH7Qi.jpg

Good job on the decals.  I can tell you put in a lot of effort to get the decals to wrap around nicely onto the body.  

• Like 1