Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

That deep blue colour looks stunning. 

Sorry, Battleship Red. 

:lol: haha, Thanks!  

It's Tamiya TS50 Mica Blue if you want to try it out on your future cars.  It is a metallic gloss.  TS is laquer for hard bodies. 

As for the battleship red, it is TS33 Dull Red (for battleship hull) used on my comical SS with the olive drab combo.  

• Like 1

Aliexpress lights arrived today and I just managed to finish installing them on the Holiday Buggy by 1am. Not final yet as I have still more bits to come. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

Not today. It's just that I haven't had a minute until now to sort out the pictures to share here. Anyway, we went out last Sunday morning with some old cars to enjoy. Once again I took the Corvette with me...

09oRHd3.jpeg

JMC dusted off his immaculate ASSO buggy. The thing is stunning, but still not enough to make me want one myself.

mncx0Dw.jpeg

WRaiAgo.jpeg

It crossed my mind to crush it nicely  -  NO! I did not push the stick on my old Futaba in case you're wondering :D

RnpJ1Ud.jpeg

There were two RC10 trucks, but they're not nice enough to post pictures here... Oh, and what about Ian's WILD looking Hornet? Totally crazy!

CIlEo4l.jpeg

It seems to me we're going out Thursday night for some onroad action. In case that works I'll post a picture or two.

Y'all take care and have a good Wednesday! :)

• Like 8

@Willy iine you make painting those beetles look so easy.  I have everything I need to attempt a boxart Sand Scorcher (and the chassis sits on my printer next to my desk and leaks shock oil all over the feeder tray) but everything I think about starting I find an excuse.  I only have one more body to paint other than the SS so I am running out of excuses...maybe the second yacht will get electronics installed...

Last night ordered 2 ESC/motor combos based on beer-maths.  Combos are so cheap right now (half price) that I ordered 2 with the hope that my wife doesn't check the credit card and I can sell the motors which I can't use anyway.  If it works out I either get 2 160a Surpass ESC for about NZD50 each (retail NZD200) or my wife finds out and I get 1 for free after selling all the other stuff.  Seems too good to be true, but you know, beermaths.

• Like 3

Started masking off Sierra body for painting.

Having decided to not use decals for the body stripes - hey straight lines how hard can it be - am now somewhat regretting my decision ... one side done, but sooooo much wasted tape. For sanity sake, have stopped and will try and replicate/mirror other side tomorrow.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Ouch.. it's not THAT horrendous, it's it? :blink: :lol:

Oh that sounded so rude of me. No I’ve been suffering a migraine for the past 4 days and I think it can affect my ability to make reasonable judgments!!! When you see the mounted versions it looks great so I look forward to seeing the big brother on the completed chassis.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

If it works out I either get 2 160a Surpass ESC for about NZD50 each (retail NZD200)…

What combos and where from?

P.S. I love the concept of beermaths. 

Need some advice….

looking at a Porsche 911 RSR but want to dress up in Martini livery and rally tires with lifted suspension.  TT02 or a XV-01 chassis?   I hear good things about XV-01 and little upgrades required, but it is front engine / motor hanging over the front axial which is sacrilegious for 911!    TT02 has a kit that already gets me 80% there but will need many blue hop-ups. 

any thoughts?

4 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Oh that sounded so rude of me. No I’ve been suffering a migraine for the past 4 days and I think it can affect my ability to make reasonable judgments!!! When you see the mounted versions it looks great so I look forward to seeing the big brother on the completed chassis.

No worries, Busdriver!   Hope you feel better soon!!  

spacer.pngReplaced 1 Shaft i. TXT-2, believe it will work as intended. 1 to go but that will be another day, cleaning time:

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

@Willy iine you make painting those beetles look so easy.  I have everything I need to attempt a boxart Sand Scorcher (and the chassis sits on my printer next to my desk and leaks shock oil all over the feeder tray) but everything I think about starting I find an excuse.  I only have one more body to paint other than the SS so I am running out of excuses...maybe the second yacht will get electronics installed...

Thanks, Jonathon.  I have to be honest, painting the SS body is pretty involved as the body has ugly injection marks at all 4 corners, bonnet (trunk) to nose cone does not line up so requires extensive shaping, bonnet left corner appears tool was reworked poorly with ugly injection that needs to be shaped, dimples on the roof and doors I had to putty out, painting can be a challenge too not only for the roof, but also for the window trims.

I personally struggled the most with the side window trims as I have poor vision these days (getting old) and I rely on my bright work light and my magnifying glass to see where I am painting.  However my paint station is too short so can't fit a body under the magnifying glass. I have to aim with about 60% blurred vision, 40% imaginary lines from memory.  

So I ordered a large magnifying glass stand with light ring yesterday and will try using that next time.   I want to make a couple more of these bodies mainly because there is room to improve my skills, especially the masking.  I shouldn't be dealing with cleaning up novice leak fingers at the mask joints!  (I can hear @Re-Bugged chuckling..you amature, Willy iine.. lol!   .. let the pro show you how it is done.. haha! x100)   :blink:

Hahaha!  :lol:

IMG_Nov172021at80136AM.jpg.6477b4a37f34ce30339f004f5630a86e.jpg

• Like 2

Installed the tail light to my Holiday Buggy. Might not be the best position, will reconsider if it falls off. 

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I took out the MF01x Stadium Truck. ****, it's great fun. The wider stance means it won't tip over, it'll just slide through a corner. The ground was quite dusty with lots of leaves so it was hard to put power down, but it's really really fun, a total blast.

Although it's not an off roader the 4x4 and 70 mm tires means it can take on bumps, gravel, dirt and rough terrain better than it might look for such a small car. It's only got a torque tuned, but for a car that's essentially 1/14 scale it feels more than fast enough. It was able to pull donuts and power slides on the smooth concrete too, which was quite fun. 

c0N7z95.jpg

Edgarmon ******* loves it. 

Y1ZMPEQ.jpg

Only issue is the steering, I need to get a few anti spin washers, as the servo arm will loosen if you look at it funny.

• Like 5

Next Billy is going to bat with of course, battleship red..

IMG_Nov172021at101518AM.jpg.8e12a1b23dda747b32b177264dd3496e.jpg

Going to let him dry while I start my SS chassis build..

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Ordered bits to help my recently purchased CR-01 move. Screws, washers and servo savers. Added a couple of lower bumpers too as I expect this to take a few hits when el Kid inevitably gets his paws on it. New wheels and tyres were ordered yesterday.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, simalarion said:

@Willy iine - regarding poor vision, why not magnifting glases for your painting must be better than having this big thing in front off you. 
spacer.png

Thanks, I have one similar to that, but I found myself not having enough  non-close up visibility for when I need to dip my paint brush into the paint pallet.. and I also got pretty dizzy using one so decided to go with the magnifier stand with light ring built in. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks, I have one similar to that, but I found myself not having enough  non-close up visibility for when I need to dip my paint brush into the paint pallet.. and I also got pretty dizzy using one so decided to go with the magnifier stand with light ring built in. 

Oh I know the feeling.? I tried with magnifier’s of all types gave up because I kept dipping my brush in my tea, or worse Vodka🤣

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, GeeWings said:

What combos and where from?

P.S. I love the concept of beermaths. 

https://nz.banggood.com/Surpass-Hobby-ROCKET-540-V5R-Sensored-Brushless-Motor-V2-160A-ESC-Combo-for-1-or-10-RC-Vehicles-Car-Parts-p-1906349.html?cur_warehouse=CN&ID=6296638&rmmds=search

I got this one as it came with the latest, V5R, motor.  There is another combo they have with the V4S motor and its tempting because the ESC's are red.  They only come with 10.5T or 8.5T motors which are common here for indoor offroad racing.  I don't race those classes but they should be easy to sell on as many do.  I already use these motors (but 17.5T and 21.5T) and have been eyeing up the ESC as I've heard really good things, but at NZD200 an ESC its hard to justify just to try them out.  However, I have about 8 race cars (my son's an mine, onroad and offroad) so an ESC failure isn't unheard of with that many.

If you buy more than one they discount further which is why I got 2, saved another 10%

• Like 1

Blue and white MF01x truck shell had a disaster with Mr Sheen and a bad chemical reaction, leaving my trail truck naked...

Thankfully Radio Shack stepped in again.

anwtwIf.jpeg

Classic yellow. It is quite a nice tribute to the old Radio Shack 4x4 cars, similar wheel size, 4x4 white tires and similar ground clearance. But a 540 motor vs 280 and this one has suspension! 

They make a mean pair. The trail truck went back to a torque tuned, so it is now very fast!

Finished the stickering on the Tomahawk -body. It is now ready for postal B)

Next up will be to paint the pillars, as I planned from the beginning. The stickers will do for now.

DSC_0886.JPG

• Like 4

Finished the SRB.. took it out for a test drive with the new body.  Ran well, I like it. 

The only issue was about 25min into the run, the servo mounting tape decided to slowly peel off distorting the turn radius. 

Took it apart and mounted aluminum servo mounts from the bottom since it’s so easy to see where to drill.  :lol:

Going for another drive now. 

IMG_Nov172021at45116PM.jpg.c7cbcfe1069cfac1b6d8b8cb5d1ad470.jpg

IMG_Nov172021at45132PM.jpg.0aa596fd0bc8fbbe8df0d35a073a5a5c.jpg

• Like 6