Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@Willy iine - not once has it crossed my mind that you sucked at painting, that pressure is all you putting on yourself that probably is the reason for you not sucking at it in the first place. 

You saying such things make me wonder if i ever shoud post any off my work again;)

@Grumpy pants Looks very nice

• Thanks 2

I did a little more work on my Original Vanquish.   Mostly it was just finishing off the rear gear box by fitting a couple of 620 bearings and fitting the infamous G11 part, before attaching the complete assembly to the chassis.  

20211120_170131

But I hit a couple of snags.

I've been collecting various parts for this car for a while, and I've been trying to keep it as original as possible.  This is a new and original Vanquish chassis. A lucky Ebay find.

20211120_170834

The rear gearbox assembly didn't fit the chassis.  The bottom diff cover wouldn't fit in the hole.  I had fitted a rere diff cover and thought this might be the problem, so I reattached the original (broken) part, but still had the same problem.  This also explains why the chassis the car came with had cracked from the diff hatch all the way rearwards.  The original owner had obviously forced the fitment.

Was this a common problem with the original Vanquish?  I have a VQS chassis, and there is definitely a difference in the shape of the hole.  More space for the diff hatch.

The only solution was to gently sand the plastic away until the gearbox could fit.  I sanded a small amount at a time and test fitted the gearbox after each sanding.

20211120_170223

There are a few scratches, but I'll buff these out with a little rubbing compound.

Then, disaster.  I dropped the gearbox.  Of course it landed in just the perfect way and the G11 part broke :angry::(:wacko:

20211120_170736

I was quite annoyed at this, even though I have a spare G parts sprue.  I was still gutted at breaking an original part, though.  

Anyway, the parts now fit and are flush together with no squeezing in or forcing the fitment.  the photo shows a work in progress.

20211120_170452

And after that, I could finally bolt the gearbox to the chassis.  I also put the front gearbox on, just as a placeholder fitting.

After building an Egress and Avante, it was harder to fit the front Gearbox to the Vanquish chassis, as the chassis wanted to eject the gearbox at every opportunity.

How it looks at the moment.  Kind of skinny looking without it's arms.

20211120_172925

• Like 1

Non Tamiya but bought a guys lot of 4 team associated RC10T4 trucks…. When they arrive, I will now have 6 RC10T4’s. 🤯🤯

9000688E-057E-4ED3-965C-97B92B1DAB62.jpeg

• Like 3

Mounted the Winger body…  need to get a taller Shapeways mount for the front.  WR01 wheels with Road Rages.  Need to mount the Wing…

GwdV4qQ.jpg

• Like 3

I am a weak, weak man... While Xmas shopping on eBay, something popped up in the "suggestions based on your recent searches": a Terra Scorcher kit. Apparently A-Main still had one in stock. $192.50 and free shipping. I clicked "buy it now" before I even knew what I was doing... after making a vow not to buy anything until I wore out my Grasshopper's tires...

OK, now THAT's all for new hobby purchases for a while.

No really. I mean it.

I'm gonna go drive the Grasshopper now to atone for my sins.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

After a week of studying various old school 2wd buggy wheelbases and making templates, I finally got started making a new shorter chassis for my Traxxas Bandit project. Its been on the back burner for about a year but after finishing up getting my Egress set up to run and piecing together a Madcap runner, I felt it was time to tackle it. We'll see how it goes. With my lack of tools and iffy skills, I may give up and go for a modded stock chassis. Only can give it a try and see.

• Like 3

I added a bumper to my MF01x trail truck

vIlMvbe.jpg

I'm still a little sad about the blue/white body, but oh well - at least the bumper looks cool. It should protect the front of the body and grill from head on crashes and forward rolls. It's bolted straight onto the original bumper. 

• Like 8

I still need to paint the wheels, but cut out the windshield to replace with clear glass and installed Billy.  Also painted the side mirrors semi-gloss black. 

IMG_Nov202021at44506PM.jpg.c8e42f722a12168dff8d675c2360c252.jpg

IMG_Nov202021at44008PM.jpg.275849b94a44747e7b362840a12c8482.jpg

IMG_Nov202021at43953PM.jpg.d8adfca52738bc133688e65372dbff44.jpg

Since kind of empty inside I left most of the windows tinted. 

• Like 6

20211120_191324

Here's a pic of where I'm at with my Bandit project. I'm not sure if I should press on or give up and turn back. The scrap carbon fiber plate I pulled out of the trash at work proved to be very very stiff and pretty light. My goal were to lighten the buggy and shorten the wheelbase which this does. I don't care for its "non-professional" homemade quality. Interestingly, cutting it wasn't bad, but drilling proved to much more splintery than the FRP/G10 I'm used to. The stiffness actually concerns me a bit as flat graphite plate chassis fell out of favor for the old aluminum tubs and eventually, molded chassis style which proved easier to drive constantly. Oh well, at least its not the floppy noodle the Super Astute was. So should I give up or press on? 

• Like 4

On 11/19/2021 at 6:54 PM, svenb said:

You say you've got a L&L Sierra?

I've got one which isn't perfect but none of the problems that you have🤔

16373102446772544989149159177075.jpg

I believe its the same one as L&L sells. 

Over here in AU it was/is sold by Body Worx, but comes with TC decals (I designed and got my own decals printed as no-one does the B&H livery I'm after) and they all appear to be the same as what L&L sells.

I currently have a L&L version on order as was the only way I could get the 3D wing, as here the body came with a flimsy Lexan wing (and that's being generous if I call it a wing).

For the most part the body/shell does appear straight, its just looks like the front right quarter panel when you have the Texaco and Motorcraft logo is angled upwards too much, or the bumper is actually higher than it should be? It's also possible is just a result of the body being cut out now and the thinner Lexan ? Or a bad molding ? or maybe I'm just being way too picky, haha

But the red line on the B&H livery which runs straight along, across front wheel arch up to the headlights, ends up running almost flush with the bumper when I mask it off. As opposed to still having some yellow between it and the actual bumper as seen in previous photo) if that makes sense ? IF I get time, I'll try and post an image with the most recent masking attempts - the left side is not as bad.

Sadly, I will be starting chemo again next week, so everything will be getting put on hold for an unknown period of time again anyways, so it will all have to wait before I can get around to painting regardless :(

** PHOTOS ADDED **

This was from second attempt at masking, have since removed these and will be going at it again, I admit this one again wasn't great. I tried using a separate piece of tape for the front quarter panel instead of running one long piece across the entire side (which is what I did the first attempt) but to me the right side here is just not, well for lack of a better word, right.

Again the left isn't perfectly parallel/straight, but its still much closer to real livery - and no it isn't just my hand holding the front, pulling the shell straight in the left side picture.

line-right.jpg

line-left.jpg

6 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Saito2  Definitely press on!   :D    Interested in one-off cars.

I second that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Saito2 said:

So should I give up or press on? 

Press on please!

• Like 1

New chassis fitted. All good so far. Thank you to everyone for their good wishes!!!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I finally got my magnifier with light ring from Amazon yesterday.  It got delayed for 3 days..  

IMG_Nov202021at93319AM.jpg.7d6429a6ba74f5b0264ba8952595d1cd.jpg

I've been looking at getting one of these, even if only for more light when building. Which one did you get from Amazon mate, and do you recommend it? Cheers

18 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I finally got my magnifier with light ring from Amazon yesterday.  It got delayed for 3 days..  

This one has a longer arm than the Tamiya Paint Station I was using before so I can now position the magnifiying lens away from the work desk.. which means I can now fit a RC body under there to paint window trims and such. :D

IMG_Nov202021at93319AM.jpg.7d6429a6ba74f5b0264ba8952595d1cd.jpg

Positioned away from desk top.   (Zoomed in on my seat stitching..)

IMG_Nov202021at93332AM.jpg.aa390921ac7c703602c1b57a8b8dc2fd.jpg

So there is no more excuse to suck at painting..  :blink: :wacko: :ph34r:..

I also repurposed spray can tops to hold my 2 main brushes.  

My brother bought me one of these lamps for my birthday.  It's been very useful.  My old peepers aren't the best so it's great for doing fiddly work with small pieces and finding fine cracks in old plastic.  And when not being used as a lens, it provides an additional light over the desk.

• Like 1

Built my ultima over the last 3 days pretty straightforward build and as usual the quality of kyosho is absolutely superb and definitely the easiest body to cut out and paint I've ever done!......but I still managed to split it from one of the side body mounts😬  but the decals covered it! And I was pleased it was a gear diff because my eyes have had enough of building ball diffs!

20211121_105000.jpg

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, moffman said:

Built my ultima over the last 3 days pretty straightforward build and as usual the quality of kyosho is absolutely superb and definitely the easiest body to cut out and paint I've ever done!......but I still managed to split it from one of the side body mounts😬  but the decals covered it! And I was pleased it was a gear diff because my eyes have had enough of building ball diffs!

20211121_105000.jpg

That’s is very nice 😎

• Like 1

Pretty excited, I’ve just bought a M07 Concept shelf Queen with hop ups.

Should arrive next week, looking at having 1 road based model to rag around occasionally and a back garden runner of some sort. 

I’ll tinker with my existing models to make them as close to how I want them without spending huge amounts of time or money on them. 

• Like 4

Finished off the GF01 Heavy Dump to Monster Truck conversion. The QD shell fits perfectly, and it Edgarmon driving looks great.

9rA8hvY.jpg

oSgUswJ.jpg

cR5QBsy.jpg

The car was quite slow however, so need to work out what was gone wrong. It might just be my memory, but sure it was much faster. Will charge battery, check controller, check gears and try again.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Kol__ said:

I've been looking at getting one of these, even if only for more light when building. Which one did you get from Amazon mate, and do you recommend it? Cheers

I got this one:   

5X Magnifying Glass with Light and Stand, Veemagni 3 Color Modes Stepless Dimmable

I like that it’s got the clamp-on base as it does not take up much real estate of the desk and the LED light ring illumination  is sufficient.   The lens is quite distortion free so the view is consistent corner to corner which is very important.

I also noticed how useful it is to illuminate over my little trash bin (below desk) as I do a lot of sanding down there. 

At only $30 which is like 1/3 the price of the Tamiya Paint Station that it replaced, I think it is a great buy.  :D

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moffman said:

20211121_105000.jpg

Awesome, looks real nice!  

You have an immaculate collection of cars for sure.  :D

• Like 1