Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Alway wanted a Clod.  2 motors, 4 wheel steering, 4wheel drive.  

Does it have 2 steering servos?  Friction dampers or CVA’s?

watch out for the center core where all 4 training arms connect.  I have heard it is a weak area.  

It’s build straight from the box so I will be doing some upgrades and will see where to from there! I’ve
got lots of reading to do as there are so many options for upgrading but also lots of people who caution from straying too far and losing what makes it so unique. I do love the overall look of the clod but I’m really happy that the proline shell fits too.

Thanks for the advice on the core, will look in to that!

6 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Thank you. Those moment were very rare though, and the fact that I didn't use the Samurai often due to its age/delicate state/lack of spares is the one reason why I let it go. Bold choice I know, which I might regret in the future, but it was for a fair amount and I find solace in thinking it will be soon reinvested in something exciting (and rc related of course)

Well. There is a lot of the Marui Samurai parts available on Shapeways thanks to Dadio Design, Optimized R/C Products, Optima House and some elements are also available in Thingiverse. I'm pretty sure that Metal parts aside, there will be soon everything needed to rebuild a stronger Samurai, that you can run without the fear of breaking it... 

I was lucky to be alone to bid on Dadio's white Samurai chassis on ebay, and I can tell that beside the material (Nylon PA12 SLS printed instead of ABS) which is already much better than Marui's ABS, it's also redesigned to be stronger... I'm not sure I'll replace all the parts by 3D printed parts, but I'm tempted to have a strong runner...

The good side of all of this is that it will allow everyone to restore Vintage cars to run them... The bad side (and to be honest, i'm not sure it is actually a bad side) is that original parts will loose value...

• Like 1

Step 2 of building the CC02 and I'm already in trouble.  Step 1 is to charge your battery.  :rolleyes:

I didn't pay attention to the fact that there's a standard and low gearing option which cannot be easily changed.  I should've done the low gearing but that is put below the step in the manual as an optional feature.  Without noticing I started building the standard gearing.  Now I have to fight an e-clip off the gear shaft.  The same one I just fought to get on there.  <smacks forehead>

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Frankster said:

Very nice. What was the hex adapter for?  Wheels look like Egress

Swapped uprights and c hubs for some which are a genuine hex fitment design rather than an adapter. So bearings in the uprights, spinning axle. Enables me to fit hex wheels rather than being restricted to the Tamiya 2wd fronts with the bearings in. These aren't genuine Egress wheels, they're cheap aftermarket ones. 

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

Swapped uprights and c hubs for some which are a genuine hex fitment design rather than an adapter. So bearings in the uprights, spinning axle. Enables me to fit hex wheels rather than being restricted to the Tamiya 2wd fronts with the bearings in. These aren't genuine Egress wheels, they're cheap aftermarket ones. 

Ahhh got it…4wd wheels on a 2wd car.  12mm Hex adaptors with built in bearings. Overall you get wider front wheels correct?

2 hours ago, Frankster said:

Ahhh got it…4wd wheels on a 2wd car.  12mm Hex adaptors with built in bearings. Overall you get wider front wheels correct?

Yeah pretty much. More wheel options rather than specifically going for wider ones though. These egress ones are actually a similar width to the stock 2wd wheels but I will also try wider ones and some different styles. And I like the engineering of the new uprights and how they work with the axles etc. Hex adapters on the other hand I think are flawed in design terms even if some can make them work ok. 

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

Yeah pretty much. More wheel options rather than specifically going for wider ones though. These egress ones are actually a similar width to the stock 2wd wheels but I will also try wider ones and some different styles. And I like the engineering of the new uprights and how they work with the axles etc. Hex adapters on the other hand I think are flawed in design terms even if some can make them work ok. 

Please send photos.  I am intrigued 

Spent time gathering all the parts and tools.  Upgrading to proper polycarbonate scissors!   Will also try out a circle cutter. 

Quick question, who else pulls off the price tags before they get home so the wife does not find out how much you spend 🤑

EC60CBFA-8DDC-4F9E-BAE0-7C09771B47FF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

In preparation for the Tamiya Euro Cup race, my Gentleman-class TT-02 got a new body. I am surprised how shiny the Anodized Aluminum color came out:

6b294b7a-e4ee-4f06-8wdkdz.jpeg

1c57e506-6fd7-4098-9j1j03.jpeg

85c4eaf0-a0b7-4282-bs8jo9.jpeg

Looks much better than the box stock grey imho.

• Like 14

17 minutes ago, wtcc5 said:

In preparation for the Tamiya Euro Cup race, my Gentleman-class TT-02 got a new body. I am surprised how shiny the Anodized Aluminum color came out:

6b294b7a-e4ee-4f06-8wdkdz.jpeg

1c57e506-6fd7-4098-9j1j03.jpeg

85c4eaf0-a0b7-4282-bs8jo9.jpeg

Looks sharp like a silver shark

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wtcc5 said:

Definitely. Looks perfect.B)

• Thanks 1

Just finished a couple of cars, both Yokomo.

1998 YR4-M2 Pro, modified and a 2018 BD8 Black Edition.

20211214_182749.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JeffSpicoli said:

Starting to think of how I can Tropicalize a Wild Willy.  :)

A Flower necklace & grass skirt?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

A Flower necklace & grass skirt?

Yeah, like an Aloha shirt theme.   Could work!  

• Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 6:38 AM, Ferruz said:

One last picture before wrapping it up for the new owner...20211213-151854.jpg

...and off it goes20211213-141533.jpg

I was fond to see that the buyer was super happy with it and to know it went to a good home.

Wow, just found this back tracking through what I’ve missed lately 😳

As they say though, it’s better to have loved and lost than never loved at all…

• Like 1

Slacking RC today.. too much work related stuff to do today.  Only got Billy finished, misc parts sprayed and spot resurfaced the body and roll bar today.  

Will work on the GF01 build tomorrow.  

For tonight, will make the front windshield and call it a day.  

IMG_Dec142021at42156PM.jpg.e3a046e875c84683863f574539e6b233.jpg

IMG_Dec142021at42624PM.jpg.0dc0fa94e55865444cb17440adfe81f4.jpg

I need to optimize my work area so will be working on that rest of day..

IMG_Dec142021at53933PM.jpg.abd8ccb20a091c3136890c6c31a175fa.jpg

IMG_Dec142021at53918PM.jpg.5d38c1844159af4372e278dbe1d6e1db.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

I'm def considering hiring someone to paint the willy figure with a hawaiian shirt/helmet.   Maybe a Tiki head on the hood or spare wheel cover.   I've kinda burned out the blues that Tamiya offers for colors.    Maybe a white or yellow jeep, or a color I've not seen on the Willy.  I saw an orange one on google images today.   Obviously a surfboard over the rollbars.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

I'm def considering hiring someone to paint the willy figure with a hawaiian shirt/helmet.   Maybe a Tiki head on the hood or spare wheel cover.   I've kinda burned out the blues that Tamiya offers for colors.    Maybe a white or yellow jeep, or a color I've not seen on the Willy.  I saw an orange one on google images today.   Obviously a surfboard over the rollbars.  

• Like 1

Today I was supposed to concentrate on organizing and packing for my upcoming trip, and to get updates and info on the travel/Covid situation and badtrip my fair share about it all.

Well... I've done basically none of that, since apparently I'm an RC maniac because I just couldn't detach from my Manta's ESC going full xmas tree lights on me (story in the everything electric section).

So instead of packing, I spent basically all day on the ESC and motor of my DF01. I've taken apart a brushless motor for the first time, and eventually found out what was wrong. It was a miniscule resistor that fell off one of the electric boards, and that too was a first since I've never soldered anything even remotely close to this small.

Much to my disbelief, I've pulled it off 😀 but most of all I'm happy I could actually solve the problem, now the car works a charm again and even better than before since I took the time to do some fine tuning on the ESC and timing.

Pretty essential for my travels I would say? 🤔

Opening a BL Bluebottle was a new thing for me20211214-180244.jpg

See the circuit board with two resistors, hence lacking one20211214-173627.jpg

The culprit! Wish I had my tweezers on me as I just couldn't handle it with my fingers 20211214-173728.jpg

...soldered right back on! I know it's no nanotechnology, but I'm a bit proud that I managed to do it (and with no magnifying glass! 🧐🤪)

20211214-180231.jpg

Now I can finally let it go and concentrate on my suitcase...

• Like 13

Made a start on the CC02 last night.  I had half a dozen 1150 bearings left over from another kit and that's exactly how many are in the transmission, so that was handy.  To go any further I'll need to either continue waiting for the bearings kit to arrive or just plow ahead with plastic bushes.

The build is interesting.  Some odd choices but it all goes together smoothly and I have no real complaints.  Nice plastics and the transmission feels pretty smooth.  Disappointed the dampers have the metal one-piece shafts so you can't adjust the pistons.

Picking up a servo tomorrow.  Going for the vertical mount as I don't think there's any chance of squeezing it up against the motor.  Tempted to get a Hobbywing 1080 crawler ESC but I should probably stick with the kit ESC for now.

FOtQSog.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Today I was supposed to concentrate on organizing and packing for my upcoming trip, and to get updates and info on the travel/Covid situation and badtrip my fair share about it all.

Well... I've done basically none of that, since apparently I'm an RC maniac because I just couldn't detach from my Manta's ESC going full xmas tree lights on me (story in the everything electric section).

So instead of packing, I spent basically all day on the ESC and motor of my DF01. I've taken apart a brushless motor for the first time, and eventually found out what was wrong. It was a miniscule resistor that fell off one of the electric boards, and that too was a first since I've never soldered anything even remotely close to this small.

Much to my disbelief, I've pulled it off 😀 but most of all I'm happy I could actually solve the problem, now the car works a charm again and even better than before since I took the time to do some fine tuning on the ESC and timing.

Pretty essential for my travels I would say? 🤔

Opening a BL Bluebottle was a new thing for me20211214-180244.jpg

See the circuit board with two resistors, hence lacking one20211214-173627.jpg

The culprit! Wish I had my tweezers on me as I just couldn't handle it with my fingers 20211214-173728.jpg

...soldered right back on! I know it's no nanotechnology, but I'm a bit proud that I managed to do it (and with no magnifying glass! 🧐🤪)

20211214-180231.jpg

Now I can finally let it go and concentrate on my suitcase...

Awesome save! ‘Good work’ and we say in the office 💥

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blista said:

Made a start on the CC02 last night.  I had half a dozen 1150 bearings left over from another kit and that's exactly how many are in the transmission, so that was handy.  To go any further I'll need to either continue waiting for the bearings kit to arrive or just plow ahead with plastic bushes.

The build is interesting.  Some odd choices but it all goes together smoothly and I have no real complaints.  Nice plastics and the transmission feels pretty smooth.  Disappointed the dampers have the metal one-piece shafts so you can't adjust the pistons.

Picking up a servo tomorrow.  Going for the vertical mount as I don't think there's any chance of squeezing it up against the motor.  Tempted to get a Hobbywing 1080 crawler ESC but I should probably stick with the kit ESC for now.

FOtQSog.jpg

This looks like an interesting build. 

• Like 1