Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

... now I'm wondering whether the box art is running chrome wheels on the M38.. perhaps I should paint my shelf queen M38 wheels gunmetal.. 

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Imho it’s definitely worth it as wheels and tires make up like 90% of what the car looks like at the end.  Choose a crappy wheel or color and a gorgeous car turns into crap instantly.   I see this often on 1:1 cars where people just choose the wrong wheel style, size, color, offset, ride height, etc.  :lol:

On the contrary a junk car can look quite good with the right wheels, tires, ride height, etc. 

Agreed, typically white or brushed aluminum/chrome work for me.   I think colored wheels look good on the newer style race buggies.   But hopefully you can buy them in color.  I don't know how how well Tamiya 3 piece wheels hold up to painting.  Maybe the 1 piece are easier.

On 12/18/2021 at 12:31 PM, Blista said:

Got the body fitted today as well.  I'm using my spare CR01 Rock Socker body.  Need to think of a new name for it since it's a trail truck not a rock crawler. Trail Nailer?

Sock Brawler??

• Like 1

Spent the weekend masking because the Rock Socker/Stadium Blitzer rear rollcage is not easy to trim around if you want to do it in multiple colours.  Now I think it might have been in vain.  Got a few coats of PS41 Bright Silver down and realized I made the error of spraying the lightest colour first.

I could clean it off and start from scratch, but I will try backing it with the small amount of PS12 Silver I have left to make it opaque enough that the darker shades won't come through.  Maybe even a coat of white after the silver might help.  It's all my cans of paint with small amounts left over so I might as well press on.

FFDKggD.jpg

• Like 1

I feel your pain on the roll cage @Blista, the Stadium Blitzer was the first Polycarbonate body I’d ever done a few years ago.

I just painted the silver and black by hand with Humbrol Enamels as masking was really fiddly, I painted in the front grille as well, then just dust coated the Tamiya Anodised Blue over it all. It’s been fine all this time. I never backed the blue as I was a bit fick about that kind of thing then. Apart from being sand blasted on the beach it’s still quite presentable now. The body will give up the ghost before the paint does. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

I feel your pain on the roll cage @Blista, the Stadium Blitzer was the first Polycarbonate body I’d ever done a few years ago.

I just painted the silver and black by hand with Humbrol Enamels as masking was really fiddly, I painted in the front grille as well, then just dust coated the Tamiya Anodised Blue over it all. It’s been fine all this time. I never backed the blue as I was a bit fick about that kind of thing then. Apart from being sand blasted on the beach it’s still quite presentable now. The body will give up the ghost before the paint does. 

I probably should have done something similar.  This was supposed to be a simple body to get me back into painting this summer but I couldn't resist making it more difficult for myself.  :D

5 empty cans in the bin today for one body.  Used all the cans that were running quite low for this one and I think I've gotten away with it.  The bright silver started sputtering before I got the third coat of that out.  The silver lasted barely a single coat to back it.  Tried the white and that barely only a few seconds.  Metallic red lasted perfectly up to the moment I was done with it.  Gunmetal likewise just got enough done for what I needed.  I'm now onto the final couple of coats of black and then I'm done.

Do I try painting window trims on the outside now?  Hmmm...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Took some time after lunch to finish the stickers on the wing…

zFIAUAf.jpg

I'm loving all the buggies with stadium truck wheels around here lately :D

• Like 1

Still haven't found time for postal racing this month (possibly the week after xmas if the weather is ok), but this weekend was full of RC and full of Sludge! (Sledgehammer)

Had Friday off work, and my wife and I have been wanting to check out the aquarium and conservatory on Belle Isle, so we took a little day trip out there. She snuck a pic of me blasting around on the beach afterwards trying (not) to scare the swans away.

Had a lot of fun jumping the dunes, but I cut it a bit short because a grain of sand got stuck fast in one of the gear teeth. I pulled the gearbox when we got home, and I'm not sure why I did that because it was an external gear and I wouldn't have had to remove the gearbox at all :blink:   But... while it was out.... I cracked it open and repacked the diff with grease. And took about 5mm of spacing out of the rear damper springs when I put it all back together.

Then last night, we walked around the neighborhood looking at xmas lights, and it's a good thing we had the truck's LEDs to light our way, because it saved us from stepping in some big puddles! And it was nice seeing where the giant concrete cracks and heaves were, so we didn't trip over them (no streetlights here).

Finally today we had an errand to run a few towns over, so I grabbed it again and we stopped along the way to explore somewhere new. Had a nice long walk on some crunchy icy slick snow-covered trails down by a lake, and the truck was right with us the whole way. Softening the rear suspension in combination with the additional weight of the light kit, etc. gave it a lot more traction, and balanced it out better so it can climb steeper grades and looser surfaces.

But I did find time to paint the tire letters while it was in the garage. Everything looks better with tire letters IMHO even this crusty old turd :lol:

belleisle_121721.jpg

trailwalk_121921.jpg

• Like 7

Wrapping up my TA05v2.  Turnbuckles everywhere which is a pain to assemble. Tested electronics and steering is off.  Need to find time to programme the Flysky GT5 controller 

AF2C5D1D-DE4C-4EAE-8C69-56B384C14D4E.jpeg

86CE02CE-B618-4DDE-A11F-E66AB72C0FEF.jpeg

FD589887-170D-4D50-B91C-75F5389D17E2.jpeg

51E63ECA-8C11-4428-913F-C1DDB9BDFA09.jpeg

• Like 5

I’ve been a bit hesitant to drill the post holes on this one til I was in the mood and confident I had marked them out in the right place, but done now thankfully. So put a storage charged battery in and had a test run on the driveway to check the wheels don’t catch. You have to use your imagination a bit cutting out the front valance & up into the wheel arch as there isn’t much to go on as a guide where to cut.

37BA0964-7125-418D-AAA3-19F364F452BC.jpg

It’ll be nice to finally get some paint on this at long last 👍🏻

• Like 11

Found this photograph, which I overlooked in the past but now find quite important. Not because it portrays 8 yr old me (apparently Batman was the thing 🤣) but because... look at the bottom right! A glimpse of my Kyosho Big Boss, looking so young back then 😁 maybe I'll be lucky and find better ones, I'd love that

20211219-210515.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

Found this photograph, which I overlooked in the past but now find quite important. Not because it portrays 8 yr old me (apparently Batman was the thing 🤣) but because... look at the bottom right! A glimpse of my Kyosho Big Boss, looking so young back then 😁 maybe I'll be lucky and find better ones, I'd love that

20211219-210515.jpg

Awesome, on many levels 👍

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Blista said:

Got a few coats of PS41 Bright Silver down and realized I made the error of spraying the lightest colour first.

No you are not wrong. In the static model world, we prime, then black, then silver. The black actually brings out the shine in silver. So on RC bodies, I will work in reverse. 

• Like 1

Not today specifically but over the weekend I completed my tt02 rally build enough to take it out for a good shake down run with my niece and nephew. Put 3 5000mah packs through it and had no major issues.

Absolutely going to need the metal cvs and probably the metal steering upgrades. The steering is binding the drive line and I need to do more trimming on the arms to clear up some more steering. Although it was pretty dry out I think I'm going to have to 3d print some mud guards for the wheels or a cap for the chassis as I can see that becoming an issue with collecting all sorts of debris.

• Like 1

My son and I ran a few cars yesterday.  The hornet is his first tamiya and he built it by himself.  We ran the crawlers too and our stampedes (no pic).  We drove RCs for a few hours and it was awesome.

20211219_154843_resized.thumb.jpg.c01471e7a248f3498ffd201a181f12cf.jpg

20211219_164224_resized.thumb.jpg.c2c08a1a46dd173a9f32b4ccae5bd7d6.jpg

• Like 10

Had a spare few minutes. Went to unlock the diffs on the CR-01 but found that, unlike an Axial or similar crawler, I'll need to remove and tear down the entire axle. Twice. Will need more than a few minutes...

1 minute ago, Badcrumble said:

Had a spare few minutes. Went to unlock the diffs on the CR-01 but found that, unlike an Axial or similar crawler, I'll need to remove and tear down the entire axle. Twice. Will need more than a few minutes...

On the CR-01 There is a large grub screw in the plastic casing you remove to access the diffs. Spin the wheels so that they line up with the hole and internal grub screw that locks the diff. You should then be able to pop in a hex or Allen key and undo the diff grub screw. No need to fully disassemble. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grotty Otty said:

On the CR-01 There is a large grub screw in the plastic casing you remove to access the diffs. Spin the wheels so that they line up with the hole and internal grub screw that locks the diff. You should then be able to pop in a hex or Allen key and undo the diff grub screw. No need to fully disassemble. 

Aaah, genius. Thank you!

At home today, having windows replaced. The cold is sapping my brainpower. Mrs BC would say it doesn’t take much.

• Haha 2

Next project planning:

-Wild Willy 2?

-Order a Corrado body from Kamtec for the FF01 Golf chassis

-Find a chassis for my onroad Lunchbox build

-Thinking of doing another BRAT shell, but trying laquer on this one

• Like 2

Next project planning:

-Wild Willy 2?

-Order a Corrado body from Kamtec for the FF01 Golf chassis

-Find a chassis for my onroad Lunchbox build

-Thinking of doing another BRAT shell, but trying laquer on this one

19 minutes ago, JeffSpicoli said:

5yjn3z.jpg

:ph34r:..  so true..

Actually my convoy is only “one” set so I am normal..  :lol:

:ph34r:

• Haha 2

Well this weekend my family all joined in a puke choir (origin?, probably from kindergarden). We all agreed that was not the best tradition to start christmas so we will dropp that next year. Feeling better today so i finally added my new oil shocks to Agrios, very happy with them:spacer.png

• Like 6